• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Next steps with Mobile Video Ads (Feedback thread)

Please remember at this time it is only a test and may never make it past this point. I can confirm in its current iteration it would require a live subscription in order to not see the ads if you are a part of that group.
We need a laugh emoji. No way this isn't going live.
I'm in a top guild, I've seen the participation drop. Inno started bleeding money on this game and can't figure out why. They're going the wrong direction. I was paying 100-300 a month to play this game because it was fun. They want to force me to watch ads now? Not happening. I told my guild I'm checking out, probably won't be back. I'm in AF and don't care about collecting anything anymore. Played dally the last couple years, spent thousands. Good by...

Last edited:
I have played this Game for at least 5 years, bought diamonds when needed but this money grab might be too much.
The simplicity of this game was what drew me to it but the intrusive mobile video adds are going to be too much. I have 4 worlds I play on, all are mature, I love the people in the guilds but this game is getting a little like "Ready Player One" how may ads can we force you to watch?

This move, might be good for inno future playing. But my mobile playing days are numbered with these ads.
Less time playing might lead to stopping all together, I don't know yet but, I do know this will become like the other silly games out there. "Watch this if you want to play" I don't play those games either.
Sad day for Forge of Empires, PC players, your next!
Amen!

I Strong

So here is my constructive feedback:

These ads are intrusive and unwanted.

For me, one of the main attractions of FoE was that I could just open up the app and enjoy the city that I have been building up over the last 3.5 years without being bombarded with ads and pop ups for other games.

However, since it seems like ads are inevitable, here are my suggestions to make it more palatable.
1) only require ads for pure bonus items. More castle points, fine. Premium incidents, fine.
2) get these ads off of necessary and long overdue quality of life improvements. I almost uninstalled the game when I saw I had to watch ads for the aid all function.
3) include an option to opt out of all ad based features. I don’t even want to see the incidents or tavern boost clogging up my city.

Now for my non-constructive criticism.
This is an obvious and gross money grab that will have exact opposite impact to their revenues.

Here are a couple suggestions that might actually help to increase your bottom line:
1) fix your damn algorithm that determines diamond sales. It’s been 8 months since I’ve seen a 200% sale.
2) stop over valuing your service, $30 for a month of FoE plus is insane. Nearly every other game is around $4.99 for a month. $30 should be a 6 month subscription.
3) be better at innovating. SAM, SAAB, SAV, & SAJM are all just reskins of the previous era. Let’s try to figure out a new/fresh idea for future eras that might actually keep the player based energized and engaged???

With gvg being abandoned (but still the main driver of guild ranking?!?!), the SC changes in gbg, the reskins of all the space age eras, and now flooding players screens with unwanted ads, it honestly makes me wonder if Inno still wants people playing this game. Or if they would rather shut it down and funnel players to one of their other city building games (fyi, I stopped playing Sunrise Village because of the sheer volume of ads).
Last paragraph is the most accurate I’m afraid! Feels like inno just wants to get rid of all of us long time players…and that will unfortunately be the outcome if these changes continue…it’s already happenin.

Bosmang

Shooting yourselves in the foot, Inno??
I'd never thought the day would come but it appears you guys in HH are on the right track to suicide (of sorts).

Already a few top players in my guild have left! Are you looking for the disbandment of some of the best guilds? The ones that have managed to unite us in a common goal and enjoy a great time together?

Shame on YOU!!

Xenosaur

It's always time for some levity; maybe I've worked in Marketing waaaaay to long...I need the catharsis of creative writing....

For IMMEDIATE RELEASE

InnoGames GmbH, is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of popular online games. Currently, InnoGames has 400 people from over 30 countries working in the office in Hamburg, Germany.

2022 marks the 10th year for Forge of Empires, InnoGames' flagship city-building game. To celebrate the success and the decade long achievement of their much loved and venerable game, InnoGames is announcing an expanded new direction and format, coupled with a product rename:

Today we are happy to reveal that Forge of Empires is to be renamed Forge of Væmpires, short for VIDEO ACTIVATED Empires.

"We're very excited at the opportunities this change will present to our players. We're positive it will enhance their game experience, and build on the decade long success we've had in partnering with our player community," said Dra Cula, CEO.

This looks to me like an attempt to get diamond players to pay for forge plus because diamond players have already demonstrated a willingness to pay extra for the game. Forge+ isn't worth swiping the credit card under any circumstance because the boosts just aren't worth the asking price. Diamond purchases are. Well, sometimes at least. The only thing on the F+(which is the grade I give forge plus) that's actually intriguing is the bigger fp storage bar for larger players. bottom line: FORGE PLUS COSTS TOO MUCH.

The Lady Redneck

Here is a laugh for everyone. Taken from MTG's Website.

In December 2020, InnoGames’ founders announced the launch of a new gaming group together with MTG. InnoGames and MTG share a successful long-term relationship and aligning even closer will allow for the development of a strong game group together with a clear focus on free-to-play casual and mid-core games. Moving forward, InnoGames experience and expertise will benefit all of MTG’s gaming vertical companies.

So how exactly does this statement tie in with the introduction of these Ads?

Last edited:

Shinz

One of my friends is retiring from the game due to the recent addition of the ads and I can say I don't blame him. I feel the same way as he does concern these ads. Here is excerpt:
"Dear Friends, after playing this game almost daily for five years now, I have decided to retire from it at the end of this GBG season. I appreciate the support I’ve received from you over the years and wish you well if you continue to play.

I would also encourage you to register for the FoE Forums to let them know your feedback in the new ad system they have implemented. This decision only reinforced my decision to retire, as it will significantly affect game play and make this game much more annoying. I’ve spend hundreds on diamonds over the years, and while I understand the need for profit there are other ways of generating revenue that are more player-friendly.

Please feel free to remove me from your friend list if you need to clean it out. Again, best of luck in your future endeavors."

I too have spent hundreds of dollars on Diamonds and feel we should not be targeted in game play over these ads.

Kind Regards,

Schinz

Scootwagon

I have an idea how this could be done in a way that won't send the game into a death spiral like it's headed for now.

1. Give people the choice whether to turn off ads.
2. Make ad-watching an attractive feature of the game by sharing ad revenues with the ad-watcher. This could be done in the form of game money usable to buy the same packages that people pay actual cash for. That way there would be no actual cash cost to Inno, and it would supply f2p players with a chance to get similar benefits to paying player. It might also inure a host of users to buying packs.
3. Stop charging piecemeal via ad-watching for in-game conveniences that should normally be cost-free: namely, the aid all button.

I think the main advantage is that people wouldn't quit because they despise ads. Also, the people who don't mind ads, but nevertheless resent someone making money by wasting their time, would feel less resentment if they are sharing in the rewards.

UBERhelp1

I'll be honest, I don't resent FoE introducing ads. Quite frankly it's surprising ads haven't been a part of this game from the beginning, like many browser and mobile games. However, when the ads are used to lock features behind them, and only on mobile as well, it can't help but feel predatory to mobile players.

I have no problem with ads for extra incidents. It doesn't affect my normal incidents, just something extra.
I have no problem with ads for extra castle points. It doesn't affect my normal collections, just something extra.
I have no problem with ads for anything that doesn't affect my normal gameplay.

Where I do have a problem is something like the Tavern. Every time I click on it on mobile, the ad button is right in my face. That interferes with my normal gameplay. Additionally, if the whole idea is that there's a threshold to meet to get out of ads, tell us. Or add a blurb to purchases that are large enough to the point where it says, "This purchase will make your game ad free forever!" When you lock no ads behind a paywall that we don't even know the threshold of, it just feels extremely hidden. Inno could keep serving you ads after a purchase that would technically qualify, and merely say that the person didn't meet the threshold. Without the transparency of a purchase amount, or consistent policy, players are at the mercy of greed.

Introduce ads that are not invasive.
Introduce purchase guidelines for no ads.

That's all I have to say on this for now.

I’ve bought a LOT of diamonds over the years, but now I’m getting the ads anyway. I won’t buy that Forge Plus package because there’s nothing in it I care about except maybe being able to collect more FP at once, and even that is just a very minor annoyance. I’d rather pay for diamonds that I will actually use.

Like the previous poster, I understand why the ads were introduced. I’m only surprised it took this long. It’s a point of pride for many players in this game never to buy diamonds, but you still need to monetize somehow. You’re doing it right by making the ads optional and letting the players choose when to view them.

However, I think it’s a huge mistake to ignore diamond purchases AND to suddenly yank away the perk you already gave to paying players. Basically, you’re asking me to pay $30 per month just to remove ads. Not gonna happen. It’s aggravating having to sit through those gross, misogynistic “King’s Throne” ads, but…c’mon!

honey55

I tried ads when they first came out and got the same long annoying ad. On chat some were saying they weren't bad so I tried again today and the ones I git today were short and not bad. I did find out I had to watch 4 ads for the tavern. I'm not saying I'll watch many ads but I probably watch a few because I don't spend money on the game. I don't even have internet. I can see why those who spend money on the game feel like they should have an ad free game. However, perhaps inno thinks you bought a specific item such as diamonds with your money and you git the diamonds. They are selling the ad free separately, at least trying to. It doesn't sound like it is getting a positive reception so maybe they'll go back to the way it was before. After all it is not being tried on everyone. I don't have an ad for my castle. I do think that they should make it so you can enter into the tavern without closing the ad. Why annoy players unnecessarily.

KitKit035

Simply No!!!! Adding ads to this game is not productive. I hate ads that interrupt any type of game play and having to buy the Plus package to keep from getting them will make this game no longer free to play, as it if it is already that way. You already pretty much have to buy diamonds to get the last upgrade on event buildings, if no surprise box is gotten or used the wrong way, and other things. Plus is costly and does not really add any useful features as it is. Now you are going to make us buy it to not get ads!! This is a stupid move for Inno and will mod than likely cost in the long run as mobile players will stop playing and those who do not already play will not install the game due to having to watch ads or pay to keep from getting them. I have played this game for over 5 years now and spent more money on this game than any other. However this move will make me stop playing all together and uninstall the app. Plus making it mobile only is not right. This is hurting those who want to play but only have mobile devices. Not everyone can afford a computer so they will most likely not be able to afford to remove ads. So no, this is not a smart move at all for Inno.

WTH, $30 bucks for not even a full month and then have to continue keep paying to stop ads!! The "rewards" that comes with Plus are not even worth it on top of that and it covers only one city. Talk about a rip off! You can remove ads from other apps much cheaper. You can also buy games much cheaper than what Plus cost and never have to worry about stupid move like this. To stop ads a mobile player, or any player for that matter because computer versions will eventually get this annoying feature, will have to pay over $360 a year. Way to expensive and that amount of money can be used for much more productive things. Other apps charge much less and most are a one time payment. YouTube. Spotify, and even Amazon are much less expensive and even other games are only around $5-$10 to remove ads. This is a total rip off for players and I for o one will never pay that amount and will most likely stop playing all together due to this move. Can't even pick up incidents without having to watch ads.

Last edited:

SabreHawk

I have had two guild mates already permanently leave the game over the ads. If this becomes a permanent policy, I will follow them. And after over 2 years and thousands of dollars spent on this game, I will be done with it. Too bad. I really enjoy this game. But there are other games out there I can learn to enjoy, so it will not be the end of game playing for me, just the end of game playing on FOE. Perhaps you should reconsider the ad idea.
And as for the mandolin symbol on the tavern -- That is so annoying. Please remove it. The added defense percentages for only 4 hours are simply not worth the aggrivation.