• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Player Welfare

DeletedUser41372

Hello
I have been playing this game for some time. It is very enjoyable, lots of layers. However I am finding the intensive mouse usage a problem and although I have been playing games since the 80's (I'm retired) this is the first one to cause physical problems. For example it takes nearly 200 mouse clicks (click small movement click) to deal with aiding friends, visting taverns etc. I am experiencing tingling and numbness in my index finger, and I now need to stop playing as I do not relish permanent damage to my hand.

Do the game designers consider player welfare, if not they should.

Some suggestions.
1) Add an all button to the friends etc. panels which replaces the aid move on sequence, step to the next pane and so on. The existing interface could remain.
Something like the collect button in the tavern is just what's needed.
2) Make the collect all feature free. Add auto setup to goods as well as supplies.
3) Auto recruit troops when killed.

I'm sure there are more areas where mouse clicking could be reduced.
I don't think any of this would detract from the gameplay.
My next step is to seek medical advise on this.

I look forward to hearing thoughts on this.

Graviton

"Aid all" has been proposed many times so I don't see it happening. Inno recently helped in that regard by getting rid of the the window that popped up on each visit to a friend's Tavern, but I wouldn't expect any more of that.

"Collect all" only costs 5 diamonds which I agree can be onerous for new-ish players but after you've played awhile it becomes a pittance, as there are many ways to earn free diamonds. The problem is that there are also many ways to spend them so you have to figure out what not to spend them on.

I've never said this before but perhaps you'd have an easier time playing on your phone? I don't know if tapping would be less strain on your hand than clicking but it might be.

DeletedUser41372

App installed but reports incorrect player name when I try to log in!

DeletedUser

My next step is to seek medical advise on this.
Whether or not trying mobile works better for you, please seek medical advice anyway. I had the same kind of thing a couple of years ago and it was a compressed ulnar nerve/carpal tunnel. Had to have surgery. Recovery was a breeze. Doctor told me that this kind of thing can lead to muscle atrophy in the fingers and hand if not addressed, either by physical therapy (hopefully) or surgery.

Sheriff Of Rottingham

Strictly from a "solve OP's problem" standpoint while attempting to mitigate the abuse of "aid all". My first thought was, have the button, but don't let any action be taken in the game until x-number of seconds pass for each friend/guildmate. And if the window/tab is changed the timer freezes. Kind of like an advert on a mobile device. But it still seems abusable b/c people could just walk away from their computer to get a cup of coffee or something. Maybe if you had to move the mouse a certain way to where it could aid the player. So you avoid the tendon strain of having to click, but still have to perform a repetitive task for each person you want to aid. Regardless of the solution, its dev time that probably could be better spent. I don't know what specifically people have problems with in the game, but from what I see on here there aren't any issues of note. Good luck managing your real life problem. Hopefully you can continue playing.

DeletedUser41372

What I am suggesting limits the collect all (on the PC version) to the 5 people visible at the bottom of the screen at the time. You would need to click 4 times if you had 20 friends. RSI is an accumulative problem, as I said I have been playing games for many years. Prevention of long term health problems should be at the core of application design. Semi automation of repetitive tasks is essential not an option!

Agent327

What I am suggesting limits the collect all (on the PC version) to the 5 people visible at the bottom of the screen at the time. You would need to click 4 times if you had 20 friends.

No you wouldn't, unless you can move to the next 4 by using the power of your mind. Good luck with that.

RSI is an accumulative problem, as I said I have been playing games for many years. Prevention of long term health problems should be at the core of application design. Semi automation of repetitive tasks is essential not an option!

So basically you have been playing for many years, did damage to yourself and now it is essential that others take action to help you with your problem. Makes perfect sense. Not like you have your own responsibility.

It would help if you would read what a proposal should look like, if you intent to turn this into a proposal, and what you can and can not propose. It would save you a lot of arguing.

The Lady Redneck

I have had carpal tunnel syndrom for years. Mainly down to RIS from work (long hours on a computer doing programming and also using Adobe Photoshop) before ergonomics came along. Plus crafting hobbies where I knit, crochet and weave. I am now retired and there is no way intend giving up doing things I love without a fight. But I do not see this as a problem for Adobe or INNO. Whilst at work... yes.... my employers had a part to play in making sure my work area was such that my CTS was not exacerbated, but at home that was MY responsibility. I got myself an adjustable hospital type trolley table. The height and tilt of the top can be adjusted. It is long enough to comfortably hold my laptop and mouse mat (which has wrist support) I adjust the height so that it is in a straight line with the arm of my recliner so my arm. wrist and hand are in a comfortable position that allows for no strain. I do have a wrist support But find that I do not need it when on my computer because of how I have things set up. Also the trolley can be wheeled from my hobby room to the lounge or out to the front porch and adjusted to fit the chair/sofa I may sit on there if I wish.

DeletedUser41372

My collect all moves to the next group, two buttons, collect then move left and collect then move right no psychokinesis needed. As I said semi automation.

I disagree with the idea that the game designers have no responsibility are you concerned with RSI problems in the future. I had no idea about it in my 20s.
This aiding process to me is one of the least interesting aspect of the game, I see it as a real chore and would much rather spend my time developing my city and guild.

Thank you all for your input.

RazorbackPirate

I play on a laptop with a touch screen. All the benefits of PC without being a slave to a mouse. I use touch to aid, fight, negotiate, collect my city, and RQ. I mouse when redesigning my city, settlements, and other things. Basically whatever is the most convenient and comfortable at the time.

While I would also like to see an overall reduction in mouse clicks to play FoE, I don't think it's Inno's 'responsibility' to do so for the OP's reasons. As indicated above, the issue can be easily solved by the OP themselves. Inno should reduce mouse clicks to increase the play ability of the game to attract and retain more customers. If that also means retaining customers like the OP, bonus for everyone.

As we've seen with the removal of the tavern pop up and the refresh of the Tech Tree, improving usability seems to be something Inno is working on. That benefits us all. I'll let them decide what's best for the game in this area and why.

Regarding the specifics of some of the stuff being proposed, if you have to start adding cool downs, 5 at a time limits, and other such assorted nonsense, your idea is DOA. Time to think of something else.

Hi Kieran, I'm sure we all have the choice to play the gama any way we wish and there certainly are many different options. Personally I use the aiding function extensively and find it offers many benefits. I have at least 80 friends and also lots of neighbours (I've never counted them!). By aiding them I earn lots of coins and I also think it helps me to keep friends and also possibly stops neighbours from plundering me.

DeletedUser41372

OK keyboard shortcut then shift A for aid, shift V for tavern but the tiny cursor moves need addressing. Obviously no one else thinks this is a serious issue.
I'm done!

DeletedUser36572

As @Stephen Longshanks mentioned, when you are experiencing discomfort or numbness, your body is telling you that you have a problem you should probably discuss with a doctor.

As far as Inno’s responsibility, even if you could try and make a case they are somehow either obligated to account for, or liable for your conditions ... That’s nothing a simple General Warning addressing just about any standard understanding of problems associated with routine gaming, and tucked away in the Terms Of Agreement, wouldn’t solve.

The Symptoms Are Telling You Something

Jern2017

While I thankfully do not suffer from any medical disabilities, I am heavily into grip training. A couple of months ago, I had an injury and experienced severe pain and limited movement in my right hand. I only play this game on my mobile device, but I was using the computer for other things and using the mouse for extended periods of time was indeed very unpleasant. However, I experienced no pain whatsoever playing FoE on a touch screen.

So, using a smartphone/tablet/laptop with a touch screen will surely help you with your issue.