• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Research tech tree feedback

qaccy

Yet another example of live having to beta test a new feature because the beta server was inadequate for it. I think that's a problem that needs to be fixed (making beta more accessible/a better testing environment) instead of essentially turning the live servers into an extension of beta with every other change/new feature that's brought to the game.

DeletedUser

I seriously do not understand the complaints about the color, size, or other visual issues with this change. I have looked at the tech tree on PC, phone and tablet, and it isn't overly bright...it fills the space almost exactly like the old version when the ages are expanded... the text is easy to see and read (and I wear bifocals)... and the panorama when the ages are condensed is really nice, especially on the mobile version. I'm wondering if other players' settings are making their tech tree look different from what I can see.

Dr. Smite

I seriously do not understand the complaints about the color, size, or other visual issues with this change. I have looked at the tech tree on PC, phone and tablet, and it isn't overly bright...it fills the space almost exactly like the old version when the ages are expanded... the text is easy to see and read (and I wear bifocals)... and the panorama when the ages are condensed is really nice, especially on the mobile version. I'm wondering if other players' settings are making their tech tree look different from what I can see.

My experience has been mostly the same. With the colors, it's just something we all have to get used to.

Blue Dawg 469

It's a contrast issue to most who complain about the colours. Me it's my aging eyes which keep seeing it all as an unruly mess. Luckily I have a setting on my monitor (hardware) that intercepts rude overtly done colours and brings them back in balance. Much like how the, "normalize" feature works on some media players. Only it's not instant and can take half a second to go from blaring bright to toned down. But I can't imagine everyone having that feature on their monitors lol...

The design looks pretty good especially the collapsed view city pictures that all link together and span the eras. Very nice! One thing that I miss from the previous layout was the button to search the market for goods on future techs. It appears to show up only on the one(s) currently being researched, but not any ahead of it. I like to go ahead and start stocking up on goods needed for future unlocks.

qaccy

A beta test is to make sure something works as intended. This is more of a focus group: to put it in front of a larger group of people than on beta, to better gauge the interest of the player base.

The only reason why beta could not suffice for this purpose is because, as I said, the beta server is currently failing in its purpose. If a beta server exists, the only things coming to the live servers should be wide releases, not partial ones. But again, like I said, the beta server is not properly set up to facilitate testing of just about anything unless you're willing to commit to basically another full-fledged server, so there aren't enough people providing hands-on feedback to get the data Inno's looking for.

Or to put it another way, why not just release this change to everybody? Why make it something only a portion of players have access to? Surely the entire playerbase would be a larger 'focus group' than a limited release, and any reason I can think of for doing it this way goes back to beta failing somewhere.

Graviton

The only reason why beta could not suffice for this purpose is because, as I said, the beta server is currently failing in its purpose. If a beta server exists, the only things coming to the live servers should be wide releases, not partial ones. But again, like I said, the beta server is not properly set up to facilitate testing of just about anything unless you're willing to commit to basically another full-fledged server, so there aren't enough people providing hands-on feedback to get the data Inno's looking for.

I'm unaware of any beta environment anywhere that has the same number of users as the live environment it supports. And, again, beta is for working out bugs, not gauging interest. Therefore if there's a change that needs testing under heavy loads, or a change for which they want feedback from a larger and more varied group than beta testers, they need a focus group. Nothing is failing.

DeletedUser36218

Pros: I like the collapsible eras.
I like the artwork on the collapsed panels.

Cons: The currently open tree is very difficult to discern visually.
The beige background is too bright.
The dimmed technologies are too dim.

DeletedUser18799

This is horrible. It takes study to discern what you are looking at. The old research tree you could see immediately what you needed, not so with this one. the icons for the ingredients are way too small and the colors make it difficult to read. Please give us back the old one while you fix the new one

DeletedUser18799

My experience has been mostly the same. With the colors, it's just something we all have to get used to.
why should we have to get used to it? If they want me to continue spending my money they should get used to trying to give me a decent product. Really, I am having a difficult time understanding how anyone let this even get to the testing stage. it's that bad.

Dr. Smite

One thing that I miss from the previous layout was the button to search the market for goods on future techs. It appears to show up only on the one(s) currently being researched, but not any ahead of it. I like to go ahead and start stocking up on goods needed for future unlocks.
Aw man, I forgot about that. That made things so much easier.

Basically, they tried to make things better, but ended up making everything else worse.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29868

You need to change it so we can add fps like we do for great buildings. It's annoying to go out and use/open fp packets from inventory rather than just have an option to pull from inventory when we want to add fps to research.

Caiaphas

This is horrible. It takes study to discern what you are looking at. The old research tree you could see immediately what you needed, not so with this one. the icons for the ingredients are way too small and the colors make it difficult to read. Please give us back the old one while you fix the new one
I have to agree the new color scheme is atrocious!! It is also incredibly difficult to discern what is what. Please roll this back.