• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Sniping" GB's, No, It's Not Bad

DeletedUser29390

holy camper!!!!!! I just found the search function on the forum quick link, not to mention the quick link itself. still learning my way around all this fancy technology. :)

DeletedUser26120

I watch for when I am about 50fps from locking. Then I look at the reward pack - if it pays out more than 50 fp then I use 50 fp in packs to lock the spot.

That's around the 'sweet spot' where snipers will camp and wait for you to get within that amount then snipe you. So I've learned to lock it a little early. It helps a ton.

DeletedUser29295

That's around the 'sweet spot' where snipers will camp and wait for you to get within that amount then snipe you. So I've learned to lock it a little early. It helps a ton.

Yes, I have fallen to second (or 3rd) by not doing that. And I only blame myself.

I snipe my hood: I use the FP I get from them on their own GB's to get rewards. Does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes:

DeletedUser11463

I stopped doing FP chains because you consistent get sniped by anybody and everybody. So now I just do the same thing. Add points wherever I think I can make back the same or more. And I put stuff on my own because when it gets close, I get boatloads of freebies. They say the chains are beneficial, but if you're always getting 4th or 5th or nothing, they don't really do much for you.

DeletedUser29390

I realized this morning around 4am, that I actually encourage snipers.
Around 100 or less to go on one of my GBs, I announce it to the guild, the friends, and the neighborhood.
Come one, Come all, ...... Fight!!!!!!

Volodya

I stopped doing FP chains because you consistent get sniped by anybody and everybody. So now I just do the same thing. Add points wherever I think I can make back the same or more. And I put stuff on my own because when it gets close, I get boatloads of freebies. They say the chains are beneficial, but if you're always getting 4th or 5th or nothing, they don't really do much for you.
You're always getting back at least the number of points you invest. If you win an awards position as well, that's gravy.

DeletedUser28991

Your point of view makes perfect sense outside the guild. To have a proper guild, however, you have to look at matters from a more community-oriented point of view. A member of one of my guilds that did that without checking with the other players first would get a message from me the first time I was made aware of it, and the boot on the second occurrence.

What you don't seem to get is that being a member of a guild means that you work within the philosophy and/or rules of that guild. And if they don't suit you, get out and find a guild that does.

That won't get people booted from my guild. Contributing to GBs is math. It is fairly trivial to derive the formula for the winning contribution in every case. If you don't contribute that much, it is not a winning contribution. Is there anything else talk about?

A guild leader has to balance the needs of everyone in this scenario, including the GB owner who just made out like a bandit. Should I be required to pick winners and losers here? Sniping is good. One loses. Two win. GBs get built.

I do however reserve the right to toss people for drama. If you've got a complaint, that's fine. Take it private. Maybe we can work something out, but for goodness sakes don't inflame the whole guild over it.

DeletedUser

but for goodness sakes don't inflame the whole guild over it
Inflame the whole guild? That's assuming a whole lot that you have no clue on. My relationships with my guild members. How I handle booting people. Just for starters. Never has my booting any guild member inflamed even a portion of any guild I've founded and/or helped lead. Just because you can't imagine handling a booting without inflaming people, doesn't mean the rest of us aren't capable of handling it like adults.

DeletedUser28991

But why do you see that as a player out for themselves? They put a bunch of fp's on a guildies GB, is that not a good thing? I mean isn't the whole point of having rewards on GB's to be an incentive to players to donate? It's the leveling of others GB's that's important, rewards are merely a means to that end. But just like GE the rewards have overtaken the purpose. Imagine no personal rewards on GB's or in GE, those doing them in that sense would be the true measure of a worthy guildmate.

Agree. In aggregate, it is bad policy to have a bunch of people second guessing bidding. If you find the right opportunity, contribute. Move on to contribute some more. Thank you for your generosity! This is like getting upset because PBS didn't send a big enough coffee mug as a thank you gift, except less justified because what coffee mug you get or don't get is entirely predictable at the time of donation.

DeletedUser28991

Inflame the whole guild? That's assuming a whole lot that you have no clue on. My relationships with my guild members. How I handle booting people. Just for starters. Never has my booting any guild member inflamed even a portion of any guild I've founded and/or helped lead. Just because you can't imagine handling a booting without inflaming people, doesn't mean the rest of us aren't capable of handling it like adults.

I wasn't talking about booting inflaming the guild. I was taking about trying to incite the guild because you got sniped.

DeletedUser

I wasn't talking about booting inflaming the guild. I was taking about trying to incite the guild because you got sniped.
Ah, well, then you're bringing a whole other issue that is only tangentally related to sniping into the conversation. The drama inciter is just as likely to inflame the guild over aiding, Treasury donations, and a whole host of other guild issues. Incidentally, I have less use for a drama inciter than I do for an in-guild sniper. I would expect that the typical member of one of my guilds would handle a sniping issue privately, either with leadership or with the offender. I don't recruit willy-nilly, and I only keep guild members that are on board with my type of guild philosophy.