• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Sniping" GB's, No, It's Not Bad

DeletedUser26965

I've never had to address the issue in either guild
Maybe because no one feels they are being violated if a guildie "snipes" them. I went well over 6 months in one guild before someone complained and the leaders who have been playing since the start of the game said they have no rule on spots. In my guild on Xyr we just recently had a guildie who has an Obs "snipe" an Obs print away from someone who is trying to get Obs, it was an accident and he admitted he didn't want to lose the fp spot, I said that's the only situation I care about that happening since we have that specific program to get guildies prints. That was also the one time someone complained in the 4 months I've been there. I don't care if a guildie snipes me.

ITown

That is not the logical conclusion, that is an extreme distortion of what I'm saying, and you know it. Swooping in at the last moment to take a reward spot away from a guildmate that has been donating faithfully is not "seeing an opportunity", it's a cold, calculated move that is fine if it's a hoodie or friend of a friend, but not if it's a guildmate. A guild is about working together for mutual growth, not an opportunity to use other players strictly for your own benefit.
Better for a guildmate to snipe you than a neighbor.

Those are ridiculous examples. You make it sound like we're saying that once a guildmate donates any amount, you shouldn't pass them. Just to counterbalance, I'll give you the other extreme, which your position would say is fine. How about a GB that takes 700 FP for a particular level. One of your guildmates has, over time, donated 349 FP, and he's the only contributor. He hasn't put in that last FP to lock it up, because he's waiting for his next FP, which will be ready in 5 minutes. You're saying it would be fine to come in and dump 350 FP all at once and take that 1st spot from him. That's not injustice? Absurd, of course it's injustice.
If the player who donated 349 FP is swapping with the GB owner, it's certainly fair game.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Maybe because no one feels they are being violated if a guildie "snipes" them.
Remotely possible, but not likely.
Better for a guildmate to snipe you than a neighbor.
Not really. Better for the guildmate to snipe one of their neighbors, if we're going to just make random statements that don't add to the debate.
If the player who donated 349 FP is swapping with the GB owner, it's certainly fair game.
Why don't you try to stick to the details of my hypothetical case when critiquing it, instead of adding details that fit your bias. Another random statement that adds nothing to the debate.

ITown

Not really. Better for the guildmate to snipe one of their neighbors, if we're going to just make random statements that don't add to the debate.
Let's say you and I are guildmates, and SJS is your neighbor.

Would you rather him profit off your GB (and snipe all of your guildmates) or me? And why?

It is all but guaranteed that if you are in an advanced age you will have neighbors watching your GBs to land snipes.

Why don't you try to stick to the details of my hypothetical case when critiquing it, instead of adding details that fit your bias. Another random statement that adds nothing to the debate.
You didn't provide enough information for anyone to answer it.
1) If a guildmate was at 349/700 and wasn't swapping, I'd message them to let them know they could be sniped. If they ignored me, they don't deserve the top reward.
2) If a guildmate was at 349/700 and was swapping, I'd snipe him without any qualms, because I don't get matching FPs in return for my donation.

I've actually been in situations like #2, where the owner of the GB asks me to snipe our guildmate.

Edit: I just read that you're in CE. That explains a lot. Starting in FE you'll start finding that your neighbors snipe your GBs regardless of if you want them to.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Let's say you and I are guildmates, and SJS is your neighbor.

Would you rather him profit off your GB (and snipe all of your guildmates) or me? And why?
I would rather neither of you snipe my guildmates, but I would kick you out of the guild if you did it, because you don't do that to guildmates in my guilds.

You didn't provide enough information for anyone to answer it.
Sure I did. I said he was at 349/700, and he was waiting for his next FP in 5 minutes to lock up 1st position. Whether it was in a swap or not is irrelevant. If you, as a guildmate, swooped in during that 5 minutes and took 1st position away, I would kick you out of my guild.

I've actually been in situations like #2, where the owner of the GB asks me to snipe our guildmate.
In that case, there would be 2 ex-members looking for a new guild.

Starting in FE you'll start finding that your neighbors snipe your GBs regardless of if you want them to.
Neighbors sniping is irrelevant to the point I am arguing. Sniping neighbors is going to happen, and there's no good argument that it shouldn't. I have sniped neighbors. Neighbors have sniped me. I have also put on 1 FP to level a neighbor's GB to prevent them getting the double-dip. (Which isn't sniping, by the way.) All of those are outside the position I hold, which is that proper guild members will not snipe each other on a guildmate's GB. At least in my guilds.

DeletedUser13838

Sure I did. I said he was at 349/700, and he was waiting for his next FP in 5 minutes to lock up 1st position. Whether it was in a swap or not is irrelevant. If you, as a guildmate, swooped in during that 5 minutes and took 1st position away, I would kick you out of my guild.
In earlier ages most people don't seem to take advantage of sniping opportunities for whatever reason even when not at the expense of a guildie. That changes quickly. Once you start dealing with arcs you learn not to wait 5 minutes. You buy the needed fp without hesitation. I'll usually tell guildies if they might be sniped on my GBs and if I notice I'll be sniped I'll toss in more fps if the reward is worth it. You just can't build rules around it IMO.

DeletedUser26154

My opinion is that because of these facts

If you're going to say that,

fsfs.png

Your Memes must be convincing.

I have also put on 1 FP to level a neighbor's GB to prevent them getting the double-dip.

chaotic_evil_doctor_who_2_by_4thehorde-d3j48tg.png

I don't care if a guildie snipes me.

I consider it bad manners to snipe a guildie in a swap thread on a G.B.

Once you start dealing with arcs you learn not to wait 5 minutes.

1.png

2.png

3.png

I don't swap, and instead let the Arc Players fill my top two spots.

DeletedUser26154

You're probably better off swapping right now

I get most of my FPs in one massive pile.
I gave up swapping last year.
The way I do it is hassle-free and lightning fast.
All said and done my City and Tavern produce about 200 FP a day.
Quests, G.E., ToR Relics, Treasure Hunt, etc, add more Daily Forge Points.

images (5).jpg

I also dislike being in FP swap threads because they make my Mailbox Icon flash every 10 seconds.

DeletedUser26965

I consider it bad manners to snipe a guildie in a swap thread on a G.B.
Except no one can really define sniping with any clarity, we think we know what it is but when pressed for details it's another story, the examples given as to try to hone in on exactly when it's a snipe and when not are found wanting but by all means if you want to let such an arbitrary standard rule your guild no sweat off my back, many already do with "fair" trade this is just the GB equivalent "fair" GB:rolleyes: "we're a "fair" GB guild":D

ITown

I would rather neither of you snipe my guildmates, but I would kick you out of the guild if you did it, because you don't do that to guildmates in my guilds.
You don't get the option of having nobody person snipe you unless the GB owner disconnects the GB, or you lock in.

So from your answer, I can determine that you actually prefer your neighbors to profit off your guild's GBs, than your guildmates. That sounds like a pretty terrible attitude to have.

How do you know if your guildmate is 5 minutes away from adding 1 FP? He says it in guild chat?

If I somehow knew that he was adding 1 FP in 5 minutes, of course I wouldn't snipe him. Similarly, if someone had donated 100 FP, and was adding the other 250 FP in 5 minutes, I wouldn't secure 1st then either.

In that case, there would be 2 ex-members looking for a new guild.
The person who was sniped also agreed to it, because he benefits from the same.

Neighbors sniping is irrelevant to the point I am arguing.
It's not irrelevant because it is extremely probable.

DeletedUser27848

My favorite is finding those people within your guild/friend list, that self level, and believe me, there are lots of those people, that operate outside the FP swap threads. In those situations, you can get some nice rewards, with fairly inexpensive contributions some times. And because they operate outside the Swap threads, you can kind of sneak in there quietly, make your contributions, gain your rewards.

I've aggressively placed FPs on a guildies GB, to ensure I acquire blueprints, medal, FP rewards, when it was a GB I was trying to accumulate blueprints for.

I've also made a point of taking top spot at advantageous times.

But I avoid the obvious last minute 'snipe'.

I've never had a guildmate call me out, for the way I've gone about placing FPs, onto other's GBs.

Algona

You're right, that's not sniping. That's being a dick.

If you are saying you are being a dick to your neighbors, good for you, you recognize that you are doing something harsh. Which is fine, you should be as brutal as you can to your neighbors.

If you are calling a neighbor a dick for doing it to you, you're self delusional. Carry on with that delusion your neighbors will appreciate the coninuued opportunities your self delusion presents.

Neighbors are there to be dicked with, its a fundamental design of the game. You are in a struggle with them where the best you can have is a truce and the normal state has to be guarded readiness. Not doing anything you can to hurt your neighbor is bad play because allowing them to advance their game state gives them greater opportunity to harm you.

Expecting anything else but aggressive behaviour from your neighbors is nad play and leads to bad things happening. Getting upset with them when it happens dosen;t do anything except show that you have the victim mentality. Go read the last few posts in the plunder thread for some wonderful examples of what happens when you don't expect bad things from neighbors..

What a load of BS, eh?

Oddly enough it can and often is true.

But I think the vast majority of players eventually get bored of beating up the bad players. I did. Maybe I'll go back into a cycle of wanting to hear the lamentations of their women. I doubt it.

But I am always ready for one of my neighbors to do something aggro, I don't get upset about it, I just counterpunch them. Hard. Repeatedly.

DeletedUser

You're right, that's not sniping. That's being a dick.
Yeah, it is. And when I sent him the message with an obviously fake apology, it really pissed him off. Made my day. You see, he had repeatedly plundered me, and he was multiple ages ahead of me, so I took the revenge that I could. I still have a few FP on some of his GBs now, even months after he was in my hood. And if I ever notice one of them is close to level, can you guess what I'll do?:cool:

DeletedUser28371

I would have to respectfully disagree. From every discussion I have seen, both in the Forum and in the game itself, sniping is someone coming in after you've put a lot of FPs on a GB and "sniping" the spot from you with a big donation. You're talking about leveling someone else's GB, which doesn't allow them to double dip. I don't think I've heard a name for that action...at least one I can print here. lol
'sniping is someone coming in after you've put a lot of FPs on a GB and "sniping" the spot from you with a big donation.'
Since when is putting any size donation FIRST entitle you to the first spot. Unless you have the entire amount, whoever donates THE MOST gets the spot.

No I don't approve of you getting first place because you posted a large amount before anyone else did. Fairness is as long as the GB hasn't ben leveled if you want to dump 100 and someone else has dumped 50, they get second.

DeletedUser

'sniping is someone coming in after you've put a lot of FPs on a GB and "sniping" the spot from you with a big donation.'
Since when is putting any size donation FIRST entitle you to the first spot. Unless you have the entire amount, whoever donates THE MOST gets the spot.

No I don't approve of you getting first place because you posted a large amount before anyone else did. Fairness is as long as the GB hasn't ben leveled if you want to dump 100 and someone else has dumped 50, they get second.
You're a little late to the party. All that's left is cleaning up. I think the broom's in the hall closet. :cool:

DeletedUser26154

I used to feel that way too until I realized the way things are.
So I stopped doing the swap and I let others come and claim contribution rewards themselves at their own risk.

images (6).jpg

Because we all know how it goes.