• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Sniping" GB's, No, It's Not Bad

Volodya

Parsing the words of my comments out of context to prove your point may seem a success to you, sir, but it fails to ring true.....I believe that all GBs are created equal in their leveling regardless of case by case distinctions and mathematics brings the note of truth to this...I gave you my definition of sniping in my first post on this matter and it applies to ALL GBs equally regardless of type, station, contribution or guild...Its simple math, opportunity and acceptance of risk....nothing more

What is the purpose of a guild in your opinion?

DeletedUser26965

If you put in 233 points to lock the position that's OK. If you put in 171 points you're a lousy guild member.
Interesting, so essentially the standard you're proposing is I can take any place as long as it's not only 1fp above the other member. Is that correct? This seems to run into same problem previously discussed of looking for that line of demarcation e.g. how few fp's above the other member is acceptable.

DeletedUser30827

Even making an issue out of "sniping" is counterproductive in my opinion. It is good if someone donates to a GB. If you try to limit this for any reason, you are doing harm to the individual who owns the GB. If you try to control it within a guild setting.. You are also doing harm to your fellow guild mates because you can't control all the friends and neighbors activities along these lines... So you would be saying that they could have an opportunity to donate and get rewards from GBs in your guild that your own guild mates would be prohibited from. All these are facts... My opinion is that because of these facts... calling something sniping by whatever definition is fine... But attempting to limit FP contributions in a guild, for whatever reason is counterproductive.

Freshmeboy

Volodya, in my opinion a guild is group of players banding together to help each other and to reach whatever goals they set for themselves....there are many responsibilities required to make this possible, including protecting GBs from outside snipers.

Volodya

Volodya, in my opinion a guild is group of players banding together to help each other and to reach whatever goals they set for themselves....there are many responsibilities required to make this possible, including protecting GBs from outside snipers.

Fair enough. I value protecting the rewards of guild members who have made a significant investment in a GB rather higher than I value "protecting GBs from outside snipers," but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference in the end.

DeletedUser26154

including protecting GBs from outside snipers.

Hello, let me introduce you to The Arc.
This belongs to my neighbor Aminaa from Wu Dynasty on Rugnir.

arc.png

90.5% Contribution rewards nearly doubles the return from FP investment into other people's G.B.s.
This is why you can not "protect your GB" in any easy way.
I gave up Forge Point swapping.

images (6).jpg

Instead I welcome Arc Players to contribute freely to my Great Buildings.

Freshmeboy

Volodya, ..a player who is close to the mathematical certainty of gathering the top spot but doesnt lock it in is fair game for an outside sniper. Is it the owners responsibility to add those extra points to lock him in....? Is it the guild's responsibility to protect its members' GB donations so they don't get lost to outside snipers...? If so, is a fellow guildie not doing his just duty by putting in those points and protecting ALL the rewards for the good of the guild...? It is not fair recompense for that same guildie to benefit from his actions by saving all the rewards from outside forces...?

DeletedUser30312

What is the purpose of a guild in your opinion?

A guild's purpose is to provide trading without fp costs to its members, provide the player with additional social contacts, and possible participation in GvG and/or GE. Anything else is the rules and customs of any particular guild.

Having said that, a guild that openly encourages members to take advantage of each other is about attractive to me as one that has little or no activity.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26965

It seems to me all the "fair GB'rs" have is appeals to emotions, no one can clearly express how much fp's it takes to justify ownership of any placement on a GB over all other guildmates. Really, what percentage of fp's does it take to make that claim? Seems no one really knows. I think given that then "sniping" is just a feeling people have in some situations as I have suspected, some sort of misplaced emotional reaction wherein some instances it is not sniping but other instances it is sniping yet there is no clear line of demarcation or standard to measure such a thing.

DeletedUser

Do you plunder every hoodie that contributes to your GBs in large sums for a reward but knocks out your guildie..?
Whether they donate large sums, small sums or no sums to my GBs is irrelevant. I plunder them if I feel like it unless they send me a friend request and aid regularly.
Unfriend your friends that do the same...?
I only unfriend friends that don't aid regularly. My GBs that are progressing are either in a GB club, in a swap or I am leveling them myself. If a guild member were to complain to me about such a thing, I might, but it hasn't happened yet.
Or do you teach them to lock in their rewards.....?
Most of my guildmates have been around the block a few times, so I don't have to teach them anything. They have their own methods playing/donating when it comes to GBs, and they all have the same guild mentality that I have, at least in the guilds I lead. I do give them advice if they ask, or if I notice something about their game playing or city that stands out as needing some guidance.
Better yet, lock them in yourself if you wish to protect their investment. Is that your responsibility....?
I believe in putting my money where my mouth is, so I have done this multiple times. Either by myself (once almost bankrupting myself buying FPs with coins) or by orchestrating a group effort. Sometimes on the GB of a guild member that left the guild, and sometimes when an outsider threatened to steal a reward position on a GB that a guild group was working on together. Nothing more satisfying than leveling that GB just after the outsider was passed for the 5th and last reward spot. High fives all around! :D

Speaking of guild mentality, I will also provide goods (if I have them) to guild members at a tremendous discount to assist in GE, research, building GBs, or whatever else they are trying to do to improve their city. I will also search the market for the goods they need and make the trades that I can to try to fill their trades. I am not alone in this in the 2 guilds I lead. In one of them, a guy that mostly self levels his GBs noticed that another guild member had fallen behind on leveling his attack GBs, so he took him under his wing. Gave him not only contributions to his GBs, but mentored him on game play. And I found out about this mostly after it had been going on for a while. Now that is the kind of guild member I want, not the one that will snipe a reward position from a fellow guild member.:)

DeletedUser

Protecting GBs from outside snipers, but not from each other? That's an interesting stance. Kind of twisted, but interesting.

Freshmeboy

Mr Longshanks, I AM that outside sniper that guilds need to protect their members' investments from being sniped.....You answered all my questions from my last post except the most relevant...: Is it not the duty of a good guildie to save the rewards of a GB for guild members by placing those points in a GB thereby denying me, the outside sniper, a shot at the rewards...?

DeletedUser

Mr Longshanks, I AM that outside sniper that guilds need to protect their members' investments from being sniped.....You answered all my questions from my last post except the most relevant...: Is it not the duty of a good guildie to save the rewards of a GB for guild members by placing those points in a GB thereby denying me, the outside sniper, a shot at the rewards...?
No, I answered all your questions from that post. The question you mention here was not in that post. Here is the post. Show me where you see that question.

"When I first started this game, I soon realized that I couldn't take my time using city and hourly fps to gather top rewards because there was always somebody-hoodie, friend, or guildie-that would snatch them up when the percentage was good for them...I had to adjust my game and dump them all at once and lock them in...now. Not later. Not tomorrow when I had some more. Now. Do you plunder every hoodie that contributes to your GBs in large sums for a reward but knocks out your guildie..? Unfriend your friends that do the same...? Or do you teach them to lock in their rewards.....? Better yet, lock them in yourself if you wish to protect their investment. Is that your responsibility....?"

It's not there. Not only that, but the question (and the ones I did answer, now that I mention it) is about outside snipers. Outside snipers have nothing to do with the position I'm arguing. The debate sloppyjoeslayer and I were having, which you joined in on, was about whether or not it was right/good/moral/ethical/whatever for guild mates to snipe one another.

Freshmeboy

You are right Mr. Longshanks it is in my last post that I posed that question...and please quit considering me an outsider on any debate that pulls portions of my posts to argue for or against your opinions...

DeletedUser

You are right Mr. Longshanks it is in my last post that I posed that question...and please quit considering me an outsider on any debate that pulls portions of my posts to argue for or against your opinions...
Whatever. I just said you joined an already ongoing debate. If you want to take that as being called an outsider, go for it. I really don't care.

Freshmeboy

Yes, you considered me a third party in an ongoing debate and intimated I was detouring the conversation with my opinions...sorry but this is a public forum not a private chat room, and debate should be welcomed from all comers on any given subject as long as the conversation is coherant and polite in nature...

DeletedUser

Yes, you considered me a third party in an ongoing debate and intimated I was detouring the conversation with my opinions...sorry but this is a public forum not a private chat room, and debate should be welcomed from all comers on any given subject as long as the conversation is coherant and polite in nature...
Again, whatever. I didn't call you an outsider. I also didn't intimate that you were detouring the conversation, I pretty much flat out stated that you were doing just that, and you still are.

Freshmeboy

No I'm not...just stating my opinion just as you are on an open public forum whether you like it or not...Sorry but this isn't your private chat room no matter how much you wish it to be...

Algona

Seeing as how the last 5 posts are completely off topic I'd say you're both making a fine attempt at derailing the thread.

Meanwhile on topic: SJS asked a great question that I could not answer, event though I've booted Guilfies for repeatedly
sniping other Guildies:

what percentage of fp's does it take to make that claim?

As i said, great question, and I can't even come close to answering it. Don;t get me wrong, I stand by my feeling that sniping a Guildie is wrong, but I can't even come close to answering it.

My subjective thoughts meet a reasonable objective question. Results, complete trainwreck for me to sort out.

Well done SJS.

I will say this though, my feelings are not a misplaced emotional response, the players I booted for this were all bad guild mates in other ways as well.