• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Sniping" GB's, No, It's Not Bad

Graviton

I call out that the only one to blame is the one who gets plundered. That is simply not true. the "plunderer" still steals stuff from other players. Sorry, if you don't like if I say that. That was my last post here, open a new one if you want to discuss this. I don't want to further hijack a thread.

You can steal bases in baseball, and while it's called 'stealing', it's a perfectly legitimate strategy. If a team can't defend against it, that's too damn bad, and it's all their fault. Plundering is the same thing in this game. I don't plunder, but it's an individual choice, and it's not some kind of cheat. I agree that it can be frustrating to keep getting plundered, but it's still not a cheat. It's as much a part of the game as Great Buildings.

Speaking of which, more often than not I will check the guy in first place...if he or she needs the BPs, I'll leave them in first place. Otherwise, the only GB-related 'crime' is levelling somebody else's. Unfortunately I seem to be seeing a lot more of that lately. Guilds need to do a better job of informing noobs of the concept of double-dipping.

DeletedUser13838

Hmm, I think the difference is the choice. You do not have to plunder. Nobody forces you to do this. In a game of chess, the goal is to remove as many of the other player's pieces until the king is taken. That is the only point of the game.
Well, the point of chess is to checkmate the opponent's king. It's a lot easier to do that when your opponent doesn't have their queen. SImilarly, the point of this game is to improve your city. It's a lot easier to improve your city when you don't limit your ability to gain resources by excluding plundering.

DeletedUser29912

Sniping is when you have 2 hours till collection and someone puts the last 1 or 2 FP's on it. That's sniping, not the drivel you posted

This makes no sense because how on earth would they know you're about to collect...? The original post makes the most sense.

DeletedUser26907

but I just feel that is a waste of tickets when you spin the wheel and get rewarded with cultural landmarks or Residential Houses that you could Select from your building menu, and what is also a waste of ticket are those Historical Protairts

DeletedUser29295

but I just feel that is a waste of tickets when you spin the wheel and get rewarded with cultural landmarks or Residential Houses that you could Select from your building menu, and what is also a waste of ticket are those Historical Protairts

I personally don't see it that way: yes, the portraits are "filler", but they can be of some fun. In a few weeks I am going to see if everyone in my Guild will change to a specific one: and make a game of it for fun.

As to the buildings and such, to myself they are free gold/res: I will use them for a quest if need be, but once I move up in age I plant them all (they cost nothing but population normally), then sell them to realize the gold/tools from them. So it all does serve a purpose in the end. For myself, anyway.

Mustapha00

On the issue of "sniping"- and I believe the definition on the OP is correct- it really boils down to the individual player. I won't do it, and I cannot recall ever having done it intentionally. I suppose that one could discern an implicit ethical statement in that, though I'm not sure I intend one to be drawn. It's just a choice that I've made.

Now, that said, I'd say there's a special place in Hades for anyone who does that to a Friend or a Guildie. At the same time, I would have much less- read: next to zero- problem if someone did that to a non-Guildie, unless there has been some sort of expressed agreement between the two. I would much rather Friends or Guildies get the rewards from helping me to level my GBs.

DeletedUser26907

I personally don't see it that way: yes, the portraits are "filler", but they can be of some fun. In a few weeks I am going to see if everyone in my Guild will change to a specific one: and make a game of it for fun.

As to the buildings and such, to myself they are free gold/res: I will use them for a quest if need be, but once I move up in age I plant them all (they cost nothing but population normally), then sell them to realize the gold/tools from them. So it all does serve a purpose in the end. For myself, anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey dude I got all my pieces so I am happy

DeletedUser30312

It's a competitive game, sniping is part of that.

I don't snipe guild members, but that's about it. If a GB is offered in a guild swap that already has at least 5 members on it, I don't touch it. Grabbing a prize on it means knocking a fellow guild member out of the spot, and if I place below the prize spots, I might as well have just placed the fps in my own GBs. But if I already had fps in the GB, I'll try to maintain one of the prizes, though I don't go out of my way to push for 1st.

If it's a friend's GB, I'll try to avoid knocking out a mutual friend who's made a significant contribution. If I placed fps on that GB for goods, I don't worry too much since the goods were the real prize from contributing. Of course, there are the offers for spots on a big GB that the player is leveling where you lock down specific amount for a spot; decent players will make sure you stay locked in the spot.

On a neighbor GB, anything goes, especially if I don't know the other players or consider them rivals/enemies.

DeletedUser13838

On the issue of "sniping"- and I believe the definition on the OP is correct- it really boils down to the individual player. I won't do it, and I cannot recall ever having done it intentionally. I suppose that one could discern an implicit ethical statement in that, though I'm not sure I intend one to be drawn. It's just a choice that I've made.

Now, that said, I'd say there's a special place in Hades for anyone who does that to a Friend or a Guildie. At the same time, I would have much less- read: next to zero- problem if someone did that to a non-Guildie, unless there has been some sort of expressed agreement between the two. I would much rather Friends or Guildies get the rewards from helping me to level my GBs.
Don't be so quick to judge.

1) Suppose you dump 50 free fp on your guildie's GB to snipe another guildie. How does the "bad" from sniping compare to the "good" from giving free fp to a guildie?

2) "If I don't snipe it somebody else will." Wouldn't you rather keep the GB rewards within the guild?

DeletedUser26965

I think those who hold the position of don't do it to guildies simply have a misplaced sense of injustice. I actually think it's more wrong to force your fellow guildmates to either not donate or only donate enough not to take spots from other guildmates who happen to also be on the GB.

DeletedUser

I think those who hold the position of don't do it to guildies simply have a misplaced sense of injustice. I actually think it's more wrong to force your fellow guildmates to either not donate or only donate enough not to take spots from other guildmates who happen to also be on the GB.
Those are ridiculous examples. You make it sound like we're saying that once a guildmate donates any amount, you shouldn't pass them. Just to counterbalance, I'll give you the other extreme, which your position would say is fine. How about a GB that takes 700 FP for a particular level. One of your guildmates has, over time, donated 349 FP, and he's the only contributor. He hasn't put in that last FP to lock it up, because he's waiting for his next FP, which will be ready in 5 minutes. You're saying it would be fine to come in and dump 350 FP all at once and take that 1st spot from him. That's not injustice? Absurd, of course it's injustice.

Freshmeboy

My definition of sniping is following the progress of a GB, then dumping fps when its mathematically profitable to do so....... I snipe daily with no shame on any GB I find........ 95% are self leveled, as swap thread GBs tend to be a bad ratio of return on investment As for sniping guildies, if they wont commit to locking in spots, why should I wait for them.....? I snipe GBs in other guilds who's members play that same "I wont pass him up because he contributed first" game everyday. The result is none of them benefited from helping their guild mate....except me....

DeletedUser26965

You make it sound like we're saying that once a guildmate donates any amount, you shouldn't pass them.
That's exactly a part of the problem with yours, and others who hold the same view, it's part of what I've been getting at. Just exactly where is this magical line that gets drawn that says another guild mate can't put on more than the other? To get any place on the GB for that matter not just first.

How about a GB that takes 700 FP for a particular level. One of your guildmates has, over time, donated 349 FP, and he's the only contributor. He hasn't put in that last FP to lock it up, because he's waiting for his next FP, which will be ready in 5 minutes. You're saying it would be fine to come in and dump 350 FP all at once and take that 1st spot from him.

Now that's a silly example, who would do that and not also be ready to put the last fp on needed to lock. And how could the other guy know what's going on with the other guy, who knows, he could have died before getting that last fp on, so now what. See, this illustrates the other point I made before, that it would require contact with every other guild mate in any situation where your donation would exceed that of the other guildmate, yet another silly thing to expect of guildmates. I aint got time for that, I can often get invested in over 100 GB's at a time, sheesh.

Freshmeboy

I agree with you SJS.....Any investment in another players GBs, guild or otherwise is a risk...period. How many dead GBs are still on my list from inactive players...? Too many but that was the risk I took ...It takes basic math skills and a commitment to risk to lock in rewards successfully.....Guildmates that refuse to lock in their slots expediently, expecting 'respect of position', are not helping level that GB quickly...They are slowing down the process and denying other mates good rewards.....

DeletedUser26965

how many dead GBs are still on my list from inactive players...?
oh god yes, I hate that lol, I wish we could just delete them off our list.

Guildmates that refuse to lock in their slots expediently, expecting 'respect of position', are not helping level that GB quickly...They are slowing down the process and denying other mates good rewards.....
Truer words have never been spoken my friend, these "fair GB'ers" are worse than the "fair traders"!:eek:

DeletedUser

Just exactly where is this magical line that gets drawn that says another guild mate can't put on more than the other? To get any place on the GB for that matter not just first.
Who ever said anything about a magical line? Just like all cases of justice/injustice, you take it case by case.
Now that's a silly example,
No sillier than your example of not putting any FP on once a guildmate has donated just one.
See, this illustrates the other point I made before, that it would require contact with every other guild mate in any situation where your donation would exceed that of the other guildmate,
That's ridiculous, and it's clearly not what sniping is about. You're extending this debate to any contribution, and that's not what sniping is, and you know it.
How many dead GBs are still on my list from inactive players...?
Also, not what this issue is about. If you don't know which guild members are inactive, or indeed if there even are inactive guild members, you've got bigger problems in your guild than sniping to worry about.
Guildmates that refuse to lock in their slots expediently, expecting 'respect of position', are not helping level that GB quickly
Oh, good grief. How many people "refuse" to lock in their slots expediently, a term which would mean different things to different players anyway. You all will go to any ridiculous length to avoid admitting the simple fact that you don't see guildmates as any different from people in your neighborhood. The funny thing is, I've rarely had this problem in my guilds, because players that are likely to snipe their guildmates usually get booted for some other selfish behavior first.

DeletedUser26965

Who ever said anything about a magical line? Just like all cases of justice/injustice, you take it case by case.
You seem to think there is one. See this is what we're doing here, trying to really define "sniping", but you can't, you haven't throughout all your posts clearly given an answer to what demarcates a snipe and what doesn't. You've made declarations to some notion that others ought to just know somehow and that just don't cut it. Looking though a hundred GB's I'm not going to try and sit there to ascertain every situation, like I said;

upload_2017-7-20_15-28-9.jpeg

Freshmeboy

Mr. Longshanks, I just sniped a GB out of my guild that was being self leveled and had three member contributors and one outsider with a single fp marker on it....The member contributors all had less than the reward amount for their respective slots...not ONE had locked in...Why...? Because they want something for nothing and expected the owner to contribute the rest...What they got is me sniping first place and all of them dropping down and getting less than they anticipated....I find this everyday, so often in fact its a typical GB for me to snipe....so yes, they do refuse to lock in their spots because of their sense of guild entitlement and 'respect of position'. This is real world sniping and not some extreme example and it happens all the time...

Freshmeboy

Mr. Longshanks, as for your example of 349 fps with a 350 snipe that is what I call a "good clean kill"....when a contributor doesnt have the math skills to lock in a reward....In reality I would not have sniped in this example as the ratio/rewards was far too low for me...I would rather focus on real sniping events and why they occur rather than these extremely rare examples.... If you believe that sniping a fellow mates position is bad, so be it...its your guild, run it as you wish...I find it a far greater offense to make back door deals with mates when using the swap threads so they can bypass the faithful contributor...that is injustice....