• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Sniping" GB's, No, It's Not Bad

DeletedUser26965

See, now that's a whole different issue. Guildmates should never snipe each other. That's just common guild courtesy. Goes against the whole idea of being in a guild. If I found out one of my guild members had sniped another, the sniper would be gone posthaste.

In the same vein, I have had guild members that constantly put up radically unfair trades, and when messaged about it, stated that their guildmates should look after themselves. I hit the eject button quickly on people with that attitude.
I disagree. There is no such thing as sniping really. If that person wanted that 300fp return they would have put enough fp's on to ensure that return. Another guildie seeing an opportunity to get that spot should not be denied that spot simply because another guildie is already on there with fp's. Take that logic to its logical conclusion and what you have is an absurd scenario in which whoever got on the GB first with a single fp deserves top spot.

DeletedUser

I disagree. There is no such thing as sniping really. If that person wanted that 300fp return they would have put enough fp's on to ensure that return. Another guildie seeing an opportunity to get that spot should not be denied that spot simply because another guildie is already on there with fp's. Take that logic to its logical conclusion and what you have is an absurd scenario in which whoever got on the GB first with a single fp deserves top spot.
That is not the logical conclusion, that is an extreme distortion of what I'm saying, and you know it. Swooping in at the last moment to take a reward spot away from a guildmate that has been donating faithfully is not "seeing an opportunity", it's a cold, calculated move that is fine if it's a hoodie or friend of a friend, but not if it's a guildmate. A guild is about working together for mutual growth, not an opportunity to use other players strictly for your own benefit.

DeletedUser26965

Swooping in at the last moment to take a reward spot
This wrongfully implies two things, "in at the last moment" does not apply, there is no last moment because a donater has no idea when someone elses GB will be leveled until it's leveled and "take a reward spot" implies previous ownership of said spot which is also wrong on many levels. Yes the logical conclusion is the first to get 1fp on deserves first place, all you're doing is setting a higher measure to that imposed standard.

So if that doesn't ring true to you then I guess I should ask, how many fp's does a player have to donate to deserve top spot?

DeletedUser

This wrongfully implies two things, "in at the last moment" does not apply, there is no last moment because a donater has no idea when someone elses GB will be leveled until it's leveled and "take a reward spot" implies previous ownership of said spot which is also wrong on many levels. Yes the logical conclusion is the first to get 1fp on deserves first place, all you're doing is setting a higher measure to that imposed standard.

So if that doesn't ring true to you then I guess I should ask, how many fp's does a player have to donate to deserve top spot?
The problem is we're talking 2 different things here. On a non-guild GB, all bets are off. My point is that if you are a good guildmate, you don't move in on a GB that someone else in the guild has already obviously put a lot of effort into getting a reward position and steal it from them with a large contribution. Now, if you've been going back and forth for that reward position, it's a different dynamic, but that's not what I call sniping. Sniping is coming out of nowhere to take a spot that someone else has already worked for and locking it up so they can't get it. Once again, outside of the guild that's fine. Doing it to a guildmate shows a very selfish attitude that has no place in a proper guild.

DeletedUser29295

Hmm, I think the difference is the choice. You do not have to plunder. Nobody forces you to do this. In a game of chess, the goal is to remove as many of the other player's pieces until the king is taken. That is the only point of the game.

Then don't plunder: but do not expect others to go by your "rule". I plunder EVERYONE, with no remorse. Sure, I will help a smaller player that gets trapped in my hood, but if you leave stuff laying around after I crushed your city defenses, expect it to be mine. And I would expect no less from someone else.

See, now that's a whole different issue. Guildmates should never snipe each other. That's just common guild courtesy. Goes against the whole idea of being in a guild. If I found out one of my guild members had sniped another, the sniper would be gone posthaste.

I had an issue with that, and for a long time I would not help the Guild member with anything but what was mandated by our Guild. You should NEVER, EVER, snipe a Guild mate on a GB in your own Guild. And if I have a GM who has the same friend, I discuss it with them before I pass them: if they need the BP/Rewards more then I do, I will try to help them get it.

DeletedUser29055

Then don't plunder: but do not expect others to go by your "rule". I plunder EVERYONE, with no remorse. Sure, I will help a smaller player that gets trapped in my hood, but if you leave stuff laying around after I crushed your city defenses, expect it to be mine. And I would expect no less from someone else.
I don't care what you are doing. And tell me anywhere in my posts that I told you not to plunder - I was not even talking to you. No. I call out that the only one to blame is the one who gets plundered. That is simply not true. the "plunderer" still steals stuff from other players. Sorry, if you don't like if I say that. That was my last post here, open a new one if you want to discuss this. I don't want to further hijack a thread.

DeletedUser29295

I don't care what you are doing. And tell me anywhere in my posts that I told you not to plunder - I was not even talking to you. No. I call out that the only one to blame is the one who gets plundered. That is simply not true. the "plunderer" still steals stuff from other players. Sorry, if you don't like if I say that. That was my last post here, open a new one if you want to discuss this. I don't want to further hijack a thread.

And this shall be my last response to you: you want to call an important aspect of the game stealing, equating it to walking into someones unlocked office and taking the wallet they left out. And that is pure malarky. It is an important part of this game: this is a war game, and not Farmville or something else. If you want your stuff safe, collect on time. Stealing (Theft) is a crime in reality. In gameplay, plundering is built right in.

Algona

an important aspect of the game stealing,

I'm pretty sure that INNO calls it stealing as well, in one of the hints that appear while the game is loading.

Don;t sweat the anti plundering folk. You'll learn that their are multitudes of self delusional folk who consider plundering immoral.

Laugh, thank them for the treasures, and plunder them. until they get rotated out. They frequently have cruddy defenses and leave treasures for the taking, and feel the need to blame others for their lousy play.

Meanwhile, on topic: Agreed with the original topic if this thread, nothing wrong with sniping. Also agree with the exception that sniping a guildie truly and deeply sucks. I've happily booted repeat offenders, typically lousy guildmates in other ways.

DeletedUser26965

The problem is we're talking 2 different things here. On a non-guild GB, all bets are off. My point is that if you are a good guildmate, you don't move in on a GB that someone else in the guild has already obviously put a lot of effort into getting a reward position and steal it from them with a large contribution. Now, if you've been going back and forth for that reward position, it's a different dynamic, but that's not what I call sniping. Sniping is coming out of nowhere to take a spot that someone else has already worked for and locking it up so they can't get it. Once again, outside of the guild that's fine. Doing it to a guildmate shows a very selfish attitude that has no place in a proper guild.
Adding fp's to a GB is just that, adding fp's to a GB, it's the same anywhere it's done. All you're doing is attempting to apply different standards to the same activity e.g. have your cake and eat it too. The selfish player is the one who thinks they deserve top spot without putting the amount of fp's on to secure that spot. And that's the answer to the question I asked you
...how many fp's does a player have to donate to deserve top spot?
Answer: Whatever amount it takes to secure top spot.

Anything else is imposing an artificial standard and trying to control something that really can't be controlled. There is no "obvious" effort to get top spot. If I see a GB that needs 500 fp's to level and someone has 100fp's on there is it obvious? 200? 210? 5? Where's this obvious line? And to say it's stealing is really absurd. They don't own that spot. There's no claim that could be made to make it their spot. You can't give me an amount that would make it theirs because you know it's completely arbitrary. "Working" to get top spot doesn't mean anything to another player, all they see is some fp's on a GB, they have no idea what other players are doing or planning and it would be wrong to try to impose up other guildmembers to try to keep track of what every other member is doing on every GB.

The only injustice or wrongness I see here is telling other guildies how many fp's they can place on a GB if another guildie is already on there. The only dynamic that makes any sense is the one that already exists, the first to place enough fp's to secure top spot get's top spot. To think something was stolen from you otherwise is a wrongful sense of injustice.

I'm leveling GB's with a couple of guildies now. If another guildie came in at any point and secured top spot at any time before I could it would not bother me in the least as I don't deserve top spot until I secure top spot.

DeletedUser

Adding fp's to a GB is just that, adding fp's to a GB, it's the same anywhere it's done. All you're doing is attempting to apply different standards to the same activity e.g. have your cake and eat it too. The selfish player is the one who thinks they deserve top spot without putting the amount of fp's on to secure that spot. And that's the answer to the question I asked you

Answer: Whatever amount it takes to secure top spot.

Anything else is imposing an artificial standard and trying to control something that really can't be controlled. There is no "obvious" effort to get top spot. If I see a GB that needs 500 fp's to level and someone has 100fp's on there is it obvious? 200? 210? 5? Where's this obvious line? And to say it's stealing is really absurd. They don't own that spot. There's no claim that could be made to make it their spot. You can't give me an amount that would make it theirs because you know it's completely arbitrary. "Working" to get top spot doesn't mean anything to another player, all they see is some fp's on a GB, they have no idea what other players are doing or planning and it would be wrong to try to impose up other guildmembers to try to keep track of what every other member is doing on every GB.

The only injustice or wrongness I see here is telling other guildies how many fp's they can place on a GB if another guildie is already on there. The only dynamic that makes any sense is the one that already exists, the first to place enough fp's to secure top spot get's top spot. To think something was stolen from you otherwise is a wrongful sense of injustice.

I'm leveling GB's with a couple of guildies now. If another guildie came in at any point and secured top spot at any time before I could it would not bother me in the least as I don't deserve top spot until I secure top spot.
Your point of view makes perfect sense outside the guild. To have a proper guild, however, you have to look at matters from a more community-oriented point of view. A member of one of my guilds that did that without checking with the other players first would get a message from me the first time I was made aware of it, and the boot on the second occurrence.

What you don't seem to get is that being a member of a guild means that you work within the philosophy and/or rules of that guild. And if they don't suit you, get out and find a guild that does.

DeletedUser26965

Your point of view makes perfect sense outside the guild. To have a proper guild, however, you have to look at matters from a more community-oriented point of view. A member of one of my guilds that did that without checking with the other players first would get a message from me the first time I was made aware of it, and the boot on the second occurrence.

What you don't seem to get is that being a member of a guild means that you work within the philosophy and/or rules of that guild. And if they don't suit you, get out and find a guild that does.
Not at all. Being in a guild does not give you a right to top spot on other guildmates GB's. I've never seen a guild with a requirement in such regard. The only possible exception to that is a Obs program but even then one player does not deserve top spot over the other. The idea there is primarily guild goods but secondarily to get players w/o an Obs prints for Obs and if a player with an Obs is taking print spots just so they could get fp's then this would be looked upon as a "bad" thing counter to the betterment of the guild. No way I would expect every member to check with every other member on every other a GB, that's just silly.

DeletedUser

Not at all. Being in a guild does not give you a right to top spot on other guildmates GB's. I've never seen a guild with a requirement in such regard. The only possible exception to that is a Obs program but even then one player does not deserve top spot over the other. The idea there is primarily guild goods but secondarily to get players w/o an Obs prints for Obs and if a player with an Obs is taking print spots just so they could get fp's then this would be looked upon as a "bad" thing counter to the betterment of the guild. No way I would expect every member to check with every other member on every other a GB, that's just silly.
It's not every member checking with every other member on every GB. In the normal course of things within a guild, this never happens. As I said in an earlier post, people competing for a spot all along get what they get. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about someone coming in, dropping a ton of FPs on a GB to lock up a top spot after others have been donating all along. If you see a guildmate's GB that has one guildmate that has donated a bunch of FP to, or a guildmate's GB that 4 or 5 have been donating to for a while (and you can tell that without asking), yes, you could jump in and take that spot from them. No, it doesn't belong to them in the strictest sense. But what you are telling that guildmate or those guildmates, is that you are more important than they are, and you will always put yourself first, even at their expense. That's no way for a guild to work. You can't work toward a common goal without being able to trust each other to keep that common goal ahead of personal gain.

DeletedUser26965

It's not every member checking with every other member on every GB. In the normal course of things within a guild, this never happens. As I said in an earlier post, people competing for a spot all along get what they get. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about someone coming in, dropping a ton of FPs on a GB to lock up a top spot after others have been donating all along. If you see a guildmate's GB that has one guildmate that has donated a bunch of FP to, or a guildmate's GB that 4 or 5 have been donating to for a while (and you can tell that without asking), yes, you could jump in and take that spot from them. No, it doesn't belong to them in the strictest sense. But what you are telling that guildmate or those guildmates, is that you are more important than they are, and you will always put yourself first, even at their expense. That's no way for a guild to work. You can't work toward a common goal without being able to trust each other to keep that common goal ahead of personal gain.
Not in any sense does someone have rights to top spot except if they already have the required fp's on it. What you are telling guildmates not on a GB yet is they have no right to top spot because others put some fp's there before they got there. What does it matter the timing and how is that good for anyone?

DeletedUser

Not in any sense does someone have rights to top spot except if they already have the required fp's on it. What you are telling guildmates not on a GB yet is they have no right to top spot because others put some fp's there before they got there. What does it matter the timing and how is that good for anyone?
Just as in life, timing is everything. As I said, in the strictest sense you are right about the top spot. The thing is, I'm not telling guildmates anything. I have never had this come up in any guild I've led. It's not a stated rule/position of any guild I lead currently. But I keep players that work together, and boot the ones that are only out for themselves, so maybe that's why.

DeletedUser26965

Just as in life, timing is everything. As I said, in the strictest sense you are right about the top spot. The thing is, I'm not telling guildmates anything. I have never had this come up in any guild I've led. It's not a stated rule/position of any guild I lead currently. But I keep players that work together, and boot the ones that are only out for themselves, so maybe that's why.
But why do you see that as a player out for themselves? They put a bunch of fp's on a guildies GB, is that not a good thing? I mean isn't the whole point of having rewards on GB's to be an incentive to players to donate? It's the leveling of others GB's that's important, rewards are merely a means to that end. But just like GE the rewards have overtaken the purpose. Imagine no personal rewards on GB's or in GE, those doing them in that sense would be the true measure of a worthy guildmate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

But why do you see that as a player out for themselves? They put a bunch of fp's on a guildies GB, is that not a good thing? I mean isn't the whole point of having rewards on GB's to incentive players to donate? It's the leveling of others GB's that's important, rewards are merely a means to that end. But just like GE the rewards have overtaken the purpose. Imagine no personal rewards on GB's or in GE, those doing them in that sense would be the true measure of a worthy guildmate.
It's not always the leveling of the GB that's most important. A lot of times it's members trying to get BPs to build the GB themselves, which helps the guild indirectly (or directly, in the case of the Observatory, Atomium and Arc). And, before you say that those are different, the same philosophy applies to attack boost GBs and coin/supply boost GBs. They all benefit the guild as a whole to some extent, and to prevent someone from getting the reward position and the possible BP(s) that they need to build their own hurts the guild in a very real sense. It slows their growth, and may prevent them from contributing what the guild needs in GE or GvG.

In the one guild that I'm in currently that I am not in leadership, they have an Observatory thread with a targeted Observatory for everyone to donate to. But the "supporters" (not looking for the BPs) are told not to pass a "hunter" (those looking for the BPs). Ironic that it's the only guild I'm in that has a stated policy about it, and it's the one where I'm not in leadership. LOL

DeletedUser26965

It's not always the leveling of the GB that's most important. A lot of times it's members trying to get BPs to build the GB themselves, which helps the guild indirectly (or directly, in the case of the Observatory, Atomium and Arc). And, before you say that those are different, the same philosophy applies to attack boost GBs and coin/supply boost GBs. They all benefit the guild as a whole to some extent, and to prevent someone from getting the reward position and the possible BP(s) that they need to build their own hurts the guild in a very real sense. It slows their growth, and may prevent them from contributing what the guild needs in GE or GvG.

In the one guild that I'm in currently that I am not in leadership, they have an Observatory thread with a targeted Observatory for everyone to donate to. But the "supporters" (not looking for the BPs) are told not to pass a "hunter" (those looking for the BPs). Ironic that it's the only guild I'm in that has a stated policy about it, and it's the one where I'm not in leadership. LOL
Yes as I mentioned an Observatory program can be an exception to a point but only if a player already with an Obs is pushing out players in bp spots just to get fp's. I think trying to extend that to all GB's is trying to do the impossible really. This is not a zero sum game. Everyone in the situation gains to some extent, the owner of the GB gets their GB leveled, the guildies who donated helped in that effort and some people got some rewards. Just because someone else got a little more for giving more is not a bad thing, no matter when they did it or who else was on the GB.

In the Obs example the effects are direct, the guild gets goods and the more players we have with an Obs the better, that's the whole secondary point to having the program in the first place, so players w/o an Obs can get one. What you're trying to do, at least to some degree, is take that program and apply it to all GB's. Really at the end of the day "sniping" can also be applied to any spot the way you're looking at it. If players "work" to get all 5 spots and someone comes in near the end and takes any spot they are denying someone else what they "worked" for.

DeletedUser

Yes as I mentioned an Observatory program can be an exception to a point but only if a player already with an Obs is pushing out players in bp spots just to get fp's. I think trying to extend that to all GB's is trying to do the impossible really. This is not a zero sum game. Everyone in the situation gains to some extent, the owner of the GB gets their GB leveled, the guildies who donated helped in that effort and some people got some rewards. Just because someone else got a little more for giving more is not a bad thing, no matter when they did it or who else was on the GB.

In the Obs example the effects are direct, the guild gets goods and the more players we have with an Obs the better, that's the whole secondary point to having the program in the first place, so players w/o an Obs can get one. What you're trying to do, at least to some degree, is take that program and apply it to all GB's. Really at the end of the day "sniping" can also be applied to any spot the way way you're looking at it. If players "work" to get all 5 spots and someone comes in near the end and takes any spot they are denying someone else what they "worked" for.
The same principle that applies to an Obs program would apply just as much to a program focused on any of the GBs. It would also apply to GB clubs that many guilds have. Anyway, like I said, I've never really had this come up in any guild I've led, and I don't anticipate it happening in the ones I currently lead, because of the type of players that are in them. So my closing argument is that we can agree to disagree, and we can still be friends.:D

DeletedUser26965

The same principle that applies to an Obs program would apply just as much to a program focused on any of the GBs. It would also apply to GB clubs that many guilds have. Anyway, like I said, I've never really had this come up in any guild I've led, and I don't anticipate it happening in the ones I currently lead, because of the type of players that are in them. So my closing argument is that we can agree to disagree, and we can still be friends.:D
That's just what I said, you're trying to apply the method of the Obs program to all GB donations, something I've never seen tried in any guild, maybe that's why you've never had it come up because no one does that. I've had the issue come up in a guild once, someone was complaining they were losing top spot and they didn't like the answer which is they have no right to top spot.

DeletedUser26965

Let's try this, in the GB below let us say all the players currently on the GB are our guildmates. They all have traz. There's 295 fp's left on the GB. Now, if I place enough on there to lock 2nd place am I a bad guildmate? What if I put enough on to lock 3rd place?

example11111 - Copy.PNG