• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Swap threads and Etiquette question

• Thread starter DeletedUser31498
  • Start date

Sharif

I think I completely disagree with anyone who has a problem with this. You're swapping fp so if you get nothing you're breaking even. If I have a gb that's close to leveling and all the spots are locked but I can invest in the gb up for a swap you think I shouldn't invest in it and put up my gb with no available spots? Bullocks. The gent who pointed out that you should assume everyone (even guild mates) is out to win their game and do what's best for them is spot on. There's also no such thing as sniping, but that's a topic for another thread...

DeletedUser

I think I completely disagree with anyone who has a problem with this.
And you have every right to do so.
You're swapping fp so if you get nothing you're breaking even.
Technically speaking, this is a true statement.
If I have a gb that's close to leveling and all the spots are locked but I can invest in the gb up for a swap you think I shouldn't invest in it and put up my gb with no available spots?
I actually do think you should refrain from posting that GB in a guild swap thread, out of respect for your guild mates.
The gent who pointed out that you should assume everyone (even guild mates) is out to win their game and do what's best for them is spot on.
In my guilds, I assume the opposite. That while everyone wants to improve their city, doing what's best for the guild takes precedence. I have kicked many a player who insisted that his/her needs outweighed everything else. (Incidentally, what does "win their game" even mean in a game like this?)
There's also no such thing as sniping, but that's a topic for another thread...
I could say that there's no such thing as GvG, but it wouldn't make it true. So if you want to pretend there's no such thing as sniping to make yourself feel better, go ahead, the truth stays the truth.

DeletedUser31498

I think I completely disagree with anyone who has a problem with this. You're swapping fp so if you get nothing you're breaking even. If I have a gb that's close to leveling and all the spots are locked but I can invest in the gb up for a swap you think I shouldn't invest in it and put up my gb with no available spots? Bullocks. The gent who pointed out that you should assume everyone (even guild mates) is out to win their game and do what's best for them is spot on. There's also no such thing as sniping, but that's a topic for another thread...

You sound like a great guildmate! lol

DeletedUser27023

I belonged to a guild where the guild leaders and a few others were doing something unusual with guild swaps. He would start with a GB, let’s say a level 8 Château Frontenac. He would establish a value for 1st through 4th positions. He would then offer those 4 positions to the guild or better stated, he would offer the positions to guild members who could afford those spots. That was okay but after those 4 spots were filled, there was still 25% of his GB that wasn’t complete. He would then offer that last 25% in public swaps to finish it. Clearly there would be no rewards for that last 25%.

I’m not sure what the answer is to a lot of the scenarios brought up in this thread. If players relied solely on public guild swaps to complete GBs, some of those GBs (particularly Arcs), would be at risk of being sniped from outside the guild.

DeletedUser

I belonged to a guild where the guild leaders and a few others were doing something unusual with guild swaps. He would start with a GB, let’s say a level 8 Château Frontenac. He would establish a value for 1st through 4th positions. He would then offer those 4 positions to the guild or better stated, he would offer the positions to guild members who could afford those spots. That was okay but after those 4 spots were filled, there was still 25% of his GB that wasn’t complete. He would then offer that last 25% in public swaps to finish it. Clearly there would be no rewards for that last 25%.

I’m not sure what the answer is to a lot of the scenarios brought up in this thread. If players relied solely on public guild swaps to complete GBs, some of those GBs (particularly Arcs), would be at risk of being sniped from outside the guild.
I was in a guild where they did that with their Arcs. The Arc owners would lock in their positions, and if the 5th spot wasn't taken they would put it in the swaps thread. I would sometimes (if I had built up enough FPs) lock in a spot, but I never donated to one when it was in a swap thread.

DeletedUser31498

Yeah one j*rk in my guild this morning posted his level 14 Arc, with ALL 5 spots locked, and only 23 BPs remaining. He posted a 10, 7, 5 BP swap. What a scumbag. He's the biggest sniper in the guild, and just not one of those team players. This guild only opens level 4 2 out of 3 weeks, so I guess I need a new one anyway, but really irks me. Some people in the guild are so nice, and he just takes advantage. The real stinky part is I have 140 friends, and want to stay friends with a handful of guildies, so need to delete like 70 people. So dumb.

DeletedUser

Yeah one j*rk in my guild this morning posted his level 14 Arc, with ALL 5 spots locked, and only 23 BPs remaining. He posted a 10, 7, 5 BP swap. What a scumbag. He's the biggest sniper in the guild, and just not one of those team players. This guild only opens level 4 2 out of 3 weeks, so I guess I need a new one anyway, but really irks me. Some people in the guild are so nice, and he just takes advantage. The real stinky part is I have 140 friends, and want to stay friends with a handful of guildies, so need to delete like 70 people. So dumb.
You should have gone ahead and put all 23 FP on there. I would have. ;)

DeletedUser30312

I guess it depends on the guild.

My guild doesn't have any rules concerning the swap threads, and it's a fairly small guild that doesn't have any drama about GB trades. I don't jump in on GBs on the swaps where all the slots have been filled because then either I don't take a prize spot at which point I might as well have dropped the FPs on my own GB instead, or snipe a guild member out of a spot. The guild's a team, it's not sporting to step on your own teammates. I sometimes make an exception if I get a lot of FPs dumped in my bar from something like a relic and I don't have time to comb through my neighborhood looking for snipes. Now, once I have placed FPs on a GB I will continue to swap with it when it comes up no matter how many other guild members jump in to make sure I'm getting some reward in return. I'm not worried about grabbing first on guild member GBs, but I also feel it's the responsibility of the other guild members to watch their spots on a GB too.

DeletedUser31498

I guess it depends on the guild.

My guild doesn't have any rules concerning the swap threads, and it's a fairly small guild that doesn't have any drama about GB trades. I don't jump in on GBs on the swaps where all the slots have been filled because then either I don't take a prize spot at which point I might as well have dropped the FPs on my own GB instead, or snipe a guild member out of a spot. The guild's a team, it's not sporting to step on your own teammates. I sometimes make an exception if I get a lot of FPs dumped in my bar from something like a relic and I don't have time to comb through my neighborhood looking for snipes. Now, once I have placed FPs on a GB I will continue to swap with it when it comes up no matter how many other guild members jump in to make sure I'm getting some reward in return. I'm not worried about grabbing first on guild member GBs, but I also feel it's the responsibility of the other guild members to watch their spots on a GB too.

Well yeah that's mostly my point. No one wants to jump in on a thread where you have zero chance at a reward. But enough nice people do, that the "bad actors" can take advantage of those people. To me, they are a leach to the guild. And I purposely titled it etiquette, since most guilds don't have explicit rules, but I think nonetheless those people really are a detriment and the guild would be far better off without them.

DeletedUser27889

I can always count on you Manda to be my counterpoint .
You are absolutely correct. Public swap threads are not a guarantee of rewards. I just feel like putting a GB in the guild swap were there is NO chance at a viable reward is all together different.
It just doesn't feel right to me. But hey..that's just me. Having shared a guild with you I know were you are coming from and also know you are an honorable player/guildmate. So I always welcome and appreciate your input...keep it coming.
I completely agree with you there, if there's no chance at any spot it shouldn't go in a swap... Hey that kinda rhymed, it would make a good slogan =)

I feel awful but I cannot remember us playing together, I certainly remember/know you here but not in game. Was it Mr. Longshank's guild over on Y? I was but a passerby, though there long enough to highly recommend it to anyone playing on Y and looking for a good guild with a great leader.

This is a great topic though. I strive to make any dealings with friends/guildmates as fair as possible or even in their favor. It hadn't dawned on me before that just because what I interpret as fair in my swaps might not be received that way so it's great to read what other peoples expectations and feelings are.

I have noticed Arcs do change your thinking a bit. For instance someone above spoke about spot 5 on an arc and only giving some BPs. When I was collecting BPs to build mine up I jumped at those. For a time I was happy to pay 15 FP/BP base. I can understand to anyone not interested in highly leveling their GBs it seems like a nothing reward, it is possible though that isn't the posters intentions. Not definite of course, but possible. Currently I'm leaping a Chat BPs, with my arc I'm lucky enough to get some higher spots but I'm still more than happy to jump in at 5th place on a big one and snag some, even without a swap back.

DeletedUser

I feel awful but I cannot remember us playing together, I certainly remember/know you here but not in game. Was it Mr. Longshank's guild over on Y? I was but a passerby, though there long enough to highly recommend it to anyone playing on Y and looking for a good guild with a great leader.
Yes, it was my guild on Y. And thank you for your kind words. I am really glad to see you back on the Forum! :)

DeletedUser31498

I completely agree with you there, if there's no chance at any spot it shouldn't go in a swap... Hey that kinda rhymed, it would make a good slogan =)

This is a great topic though. I strive to make any dealings with friends/guildmates as fair as possible or even in their favor. It hadn't dawned on me before that just because what I interpret as fair in my swaps might not be received that way so it's great to read what other peoples expectations and feelings are.

I have noticed Arcs do change your thinking a bit. For instance someone above spoke about spot 5 on an arc and only giving some BPs. When I was collecting BPs to build mine up I jumped at those. For a time I was happy to pay 15 FP/BP base. I can understand to anyone not interested in highly leveling their GBs it seems like a nothing reward, it is possible though that isn't the posters intentions. Not definite of course, but possible. Currently I'm leaping a Chat BPs, with my arc I'm lucky enough to get some higher spots but I'm still more than happy to jump in at 5th place on a big one and snag some, even without a swap back.

You make a good point, but in my case all 5 spots were locked. Regardless though, that's not the spot to use the swap thread. That's what you use the "close to levelling" thread, and simply mention if it's worth it to anyone to pay X to get a BP that';s great, else you'll self-level. You clog up a swap thread though by doing it your way.

BruteForceAttack

Swap threads is kinda double edge sword.

If you are a sniper with decent/high level arc, it is wet dream come true. Especially on those 50-100+ fp swap threads. All you got to do is swap, wait for few more swaps (sometimes you don't even have to do that) and then lock a spot with your arc bonus.

On the other hand, if you are a novice/struggling for bps and medals and put some effort on targeting specific gbs, you "may" end up getting rewards.

However in most of the guilds there is always this 1 person who is 24/7 on the swap threads taking all the good spots.

Even though it goes against conventional wisdom, I think one the best way to level your gbs is...I KNOW beat me up now, self level up the point where in top spots can be sniped for 1.8/1.9 ish.

DeletedUser29563

Ah that makes me wish I had enough time to restart my game on Y. Y is where all the cool kids are =)
I was kind of in the same boat as you. I took a break from not only Y...but all worlds except for one. I have recently restarted on Y and wow did I ever fall behind.
Would love to see you return if RL ever permits.

DeletedUser29563

Even though it goes against conventional wisdom, I think one the best way to level your gbs is...I KNOW beat me up now, self level up the point where in top spots can be sniped for 1.8/1.9 ish
A lot of the more advanced players in my guild on B are doing this.

DeletedUser29563

Which world?