• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why shouldn't AO critical hit also apply to higher age units?

wolfhoundtoo

You sure seem to be expecting a lot out of this thread for what was a pretty simplistic initial post. I'm not quite sure if you are just annoyed you didn't get people to agree, you realized what you wanted wasn't going to happen, or if you are just having fun thinking you can get some people worked up.

At the end of the day the AO is clearly meant for same age troops which you should have known before you built it (you clearly have plenty of energy for forum posts and there are plenty of other online resources for the Great Buildings) and you had all of the previous C-map eras to work through. It would seem your real problem is that OF is much harder than the other eras. As OF came about (as I recall so don't ask me for official posts or think I'm speaking for Inno) was that there were concerns with how the game was going to progress (and the time it was taking between new eras) and the not inconsiderable concern with (as mentioned by others) with troops from lower ages being more valuable than newer ages. I do think that one of the reasons for the AO's limits was to make it harder to beat the C-map with units of lower eras.

As for any questions regarding 'imbalance' and 'hovers' and other units you can speculate all you want but no one but Inno knows how they designed the units and tested them on their side before hitting the Beta. Today there have been multiple changes as the game progressed and why something was made the way it was is rather a pointless conversation because you frankly lack the context from when that decision was made (and no one here really knows why Inno did what they did anyway unless they issued an official announcement and even then people don't believe that explains everything).

Loren1979

You sure seem to be expecting a lot out of this thread for what was a pretty simplistic initial post. I'm not quite sure if you are just annoyed you didn't get people to agree, you realized what you wanted wasn't going to happen, or if you are just having fun thinking you can get some people worked up.

At the end of the day the AO is clearly meant for same age troops which you should have known before you built it (you clearly have plenty of energy for forum posts and there are plenty of other online resources for the Great Buildings) and you had all of the previous C-map eras to work through. It would seem your real problem is that OF is much harder than the other eras. As OF came about (as I recall so don't ask me for official posts or think I'm speaking for Inno) was that there were concerns with how the game was going to progress (and the time it was taking between new eras) and the not inconsiderable concern with (as mentioned by others) with troops from lower ages being more valuable than newer ages. I do think that one of the reasons for the AO's limits was to make it harder to beat the C-map with units of lower eras.

As for any questions regarding 'imbalance' and 'hovers' and other units you can speculate all you want but no one but Inno knows how they designed the units and tested them on their side before hitting the Beta. Today there have been multiple changes as the game progressed and why something was made the way it was is rather a pointless conversation because you frankly lack the context from when that decision was made (and no one here really knows why Inno did what they did anyway unless they issued an official announcement and even then people don't believe that explains everything).
Thanks for sharing your opinion (less the redundant critical sarcasm about the OP). The point of the post was to stimulate intelligent conversation and debate. I am fine with the added challenge of progressing on the continent map without the AO boost. I think it would make more logical sense and add to the overall enjoyment of the game to have AO apply to higher age units as well, I am not threatened by the fact that others think differently than me, nor do I get enjoyment out of squelching legitimate questions and intelligent debate. Keep commenting on my posts, maybe some of it will rub off on you.

85gt

On the AA map I do believe the AO should be allowed on all battles on any age troop, but that would be the only place I would want to see a change

xivarmy

One of the possible motivations "why" it only applies to exactly same-age troops is when it came out, AF troops were widely being panned in favor of continuing to use FE troops. They may have wanted to add an extra reason why you should use "new" troops against the new age. Not that it worked all that well at the time.

Using troops against troops of the same age is a balancing assumption they like to rest on. A building that encourages you to follow that paradigm helps solidify it for them.

It's true that AO is a dud for the low age camper with advanced age troops (which I have some of those worlds - one of which I actively develop and which will not build AO and I'm ok with that), but the advantages to that playstyle are so pronounced that asking for it to apply to help you reach that step or fight further beyond on continent for expansions is such a niche role, and one that does not need further incentive. p.s. regarding continent there's Kraken + Virgo Project which are much better than AO on continent as you're not doing hundreds of fights a day (while their fighting bonuses are viewed as nigh-worthless to your typical fighter)

It's also not like AO is an unloved GB in need of buffs (not that they've shown any interest in even buffing bad GBs). Your typical high era fighter is *mostly* using same-age units and AO is just one more reason to prefer that.

I understand the logic behind not allowing critical hit to apply to units lower than your age, but I see no good reason why it shouldn't apply to units of higher ages. I am in LMA fighting OF units on the continent map. OF units get to keep all their bells and whistles (mortar, contact, etc) but I get stripped of the critical hit that I worked so hard to build.
AO works really well for GE, GBG, PVP and GVG. C Map is only a small part of the game.