• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Forum Etiquette

DeletedUser

Honestly, while it might be an attempt at helpfulness, it comes off more to me as Mod Impersonation (something mentioned as not allowed in the guideline rules) and a way to up ones post count. Let the mods sort it out. Maybe a specific mod who handles only the proposal section.
I won't get into the mod impersonation issue except to say that one of the things that was mentioned here was guiding newbies to what they needed to do, and that is exactly what @Agent327's post does. As far as post count, @Agent327 is already a "Well-Known Member", which is as high as it goes, so what would be the point of him padding his post count? Does anyone really care about post count? Or even know where to find it?

ODragon

I won't get into the mod impersonation issue except to say that one of the things that was mentioned here was guiding newbies to what they needed to do, and that is exactly what @Agent327's post does.

When you act like a troll with 99% of ones posts is hard to take anything that isn't as guiding. Its a fine line I guess; but it is one that would be better handled by a mod.

Agent327

When you act like a troll with 99% of ones posts is hard to take anything that isn't as guiding. Its a fine line I guess; but it is one that would be better handled by a mod.

Again, somehing the rules do not allow you to mention.

DeletedUser32389

Again, somehing the rules do not allow you to mention.
Trolls-Brunch-Thumb.png

DeletedUser36326

I've been holding back and biting my tongue for a long time now, just can't hold back anymore...
I am going to be honest and up-front... I do not know if this is the correct section to post this, If not then may a Moderator kindly advise!!

Preface:
Firstly: I am not going to mention names, nor am I going to add links to anything specific.
Secondly: I am probably going to get a lot of backlash or ridiculed, most definitely from those I am not going to mention. So throw everything you have, because this is for ALL members that get bullied on this forum. I am probably going to receive comments like, "You're just looking attention", "Cry me a River",... etc... I don't care, this is not for me.
Lastly: I am going to be as *clean* as I possibly can, but know that what I say below is a lot *harsher* than what is being displayed.

Why this post:
There are a handful of members on this forum that are just absolute *nasty*. you have absolutely no respect for anyone, and I am going to be totally honest... I truly wish you could be removed or banned from commenting on any post!!

The Forum:
Definition / Meaning: a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
- It's NOT a Fight Club!!'

Members (Old and New):
Members come here to learn and to ask questions... That is what the forum is for. They do not come here to be ridiculed or ripped apart for asking a question for not knowing something... Just because they have been playing for 3, 4 or 5yrs... does not mean that they understand EVERY SINGLE part of the game. I saw one comment saying that the person had done initial training, so they "must" know how it works... REALLY... How disgusting of you!!! Maybe they simply hadn't played that part of the game, but only now decided to do so. Funny enough that is what was the final straw for me, as that is the same reason I looked it up after 3yrs of playing and all I saw was a full on verbal attack to a simple question...

Why are you Bullies on these forums??? To help? or do you just come here to get some kind of kick out of attacking everyone???
Seriously, Moderators need to step up against these Forum Bullies.

SO WHAT if a member has been playing for a couple of years,
(Not everyone plays every part of the game)

SO WHAT
if they haven't gone through all the rules,
(Some people are new to the forum and may have simply not seen the rules. Just send them the link and request that they read it first)

SO WHAT
if they have done the training,
(Just because someone has done the training a year or 2 back or even a few months back, does not mean that they remember it all)

SO WHAT
if it's already on the DNSL,
(Simply direct them to the DNSL with a link to it)

SO WHAT
if they have a Guild, Friends or Chat to ask,
(Not everyone is willing to help, and those that are available at the time may not know themselves. Also, that is what the forums are for)

SO WHAT if it's a stupid question,
(Just because the answer is simple and obvious to you, does not mean that it's the same for them)

SO WHAT if they "Should" know,
(This is relative and a stupid statement in any argument)

SO WHAT if they don't follow the Guidelines,
(Not everyone knows, or is even aware of the Guidelines. Have you ever read the EULA on any of the applications that you have installed?
SO WHAT if they don't follow the correct process,
(Simply direct them to the Process method with a link to it - It's that simple. No backlash necessary!!)
SO WHAT if they don't follow the correct format.
(Again Simply direct them to the Format thread with a link to it)
I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the people that come on to these forums do so for a genuine reason and not to troll the threads, but I'm 100% certain that they do not come here to be verbally abused.

Get off your high horses...
If you want to assist people then please by all means do so, in a respectful manner.
We are here to guide each other, Simple!!

PLEASE!! ENOUGH with verbal abuse and unnecessary attacks on ALL Members and their respective questions!!
Keep the fighting on the Games battlefields and NOT within the Forums!!

Thank you, and Forge On!!

I agree.

These forums are sort of like a classroom or library or educational forum. If the teachers return fire to aggressive or bothersome students (if even thise students started the problem) then it’s another debate forum where people are trading back and forth just to get the better of another.

Also, how you answer someone also matters. The wrong tone- be it exasperation, frustration, or outright demeaning or insulting (regardless of whether you bothered to actually answer the question or not) puts the person in a position where they aren’t likely going to respond as much to the information, but the tone.

If you answer a question and someone consistently disagrees or becomes nasty than simply stop posting. You’re not obligated to repeat what you said and they can decide whether to take it or leave it.And despite what some say, there are people who tend to jump on a person immediately with a condescending, arrogant, or dismissive tone. It doesn’t help.

Xivarmy is probably one of the best posters. His information is detailed, direct, and I don’t think I ever seen him respond off-tone to someone and rarely seen anyone respond to him in that manner. Probably not a coincidence.

RaveWolf

One is. Multiple isn't.

Or do you get very excited that people do not agree with you.

...and I rest my case!!

I have had enough of you constantly pushing for a fight!! You are Relentless!!
I have now (as instructed) reported you and will also be relentless in doing so until you either stop or get banned from the forum!!
There is so much more I'd like to say, but will respect the rules of the FoE, Inno Games, their forums and the rest of the Members.
As can be clearly seen by your attitude and determination, you are most certainly one of those at the top of the list and the EXACT Purpose for this post!!

This will be my last Comment to you...
Hands Dusted off,
DONE!!

Agent327

...and I rest my case!!

I have had enough of you constantly pushing for a fight!! You are Relentless!!
I have now (as instructed) reported you and will also be relentless in doing so until you either stop or get banned from the forum!!
There is so much more I'd like to say, but will respect the rules of the FoE, Inno Games, their forums and the rest of the Members.
As can be clearly seen by your attitude and determination, you are most certainly one of those at the top of the list and the EXACT Purpose for this post!!

This will be my last Comment to you...
Hands Dusted off,
DONE!!

So do I.

You are absolutely not aggressive. Ending about every sentence with multiple exclamation marks is just a very relaxed way of expressing yourself and you are not shouting either.

RaveWolf

I would just like to add the following...

We all make mistakes and we all do and say things without seeing the bigger picture, myself included!!
Sometimes we just need to take a step back and take a wider view of any particular situation.

What we experience or do a million times over becomes the norm to us and is then easy and obvious by default, and then subconsciously assume that everyone else should have the same knowledge.

Thanks for the good debate, I'm also learning a lot from this. Some of it off the thread and even from my own approach.
Believe it or not, I'm very much an introvert, but there comes a time when even the most timid reach their limit.
This is way out of my comfort zone, and although I'm the last person one would (all those who know me) expect to start a fight, I'll be the first one to stand up when I feel it is needed and the time is right.

I can, and do see multiple sides of the story, even scenarios not yet mentioned here, and I'm not disputing anything, all this post is about, is to bring attention to the unnecessary attacks at each other. We all had to start somewhere and learn, and will always be learning, times change and so does the learning with it.

No-one is perfect, and I'll be the first to state that I am far from it.
...and I will say something about the Moderators... they are here to assist us, FOR FREE (with there own set of rules they need to follow), they are human too, and they are also here to have fun. They cannot be expected to be perfect or read each and every post or thread. Just as they are helping the Devs maintain and monitor the forum, they need us to tap them on the shoulder if we feel they're wrong about something, not belittle them in public. Those that have been around for a year or more, need to be examples and be civil, and assist the Moderators, by obeying the rules, and following due process when they are unable to.

Think on this...
Remember that we are the Voice of the Game... What we put out in the Forum sets an example of what is expected within the game.
If the feedback is negative within the forum, one may feel reserved about the game itself. If people leave the game because it's just too uncomfortable, then we are only stabbing ourselves in the back. No Players = No Game!!

This is meant to be our time-out, our chill time, our serenity from the madness of the Real World, and not an extension of it!!
This is not meant to be a Side Quest, or an Event in life... This is meant to be an escape, another realm, or universe separated from our own.

Everything we do here is meant to be enjoyable, even our battles withing the game.

There is nothing wrong with a little Jest, wit, sarcasm, or tongue in cheek comments, but for the love of Humanity, let's keep it at just that and nothing more.

To close off...
Happy Hanukkah, Three Kings Day, Saint Nicholas Day, Omisoka, Kwanzaa, Yule, Saturnalia, Saint Nicholas Day, Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe, St. Lucia Day, Three Kings Day, Boxing Day, Happy Birthday (to whomever may be celebrating), Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and whatever other celebrations I may have left out...
...to those that don't celebrate anything around this time, Happy "Just another day"... something my Dad says every time I wish him Happy Birthday.

Anyways,
This was meant to be short and not meant to be a Novel, but there it is.
Play Nice and Forge on!!
Peace and Drive Safe ⚠

Algona

The manifesto in the first post appears to be a list of excuses for discourteous inconsiderate, lazy posters who don't want to follow the rules of the forum, think about posting before posting, try reading a little before hand, or try asking nicely for help instead of demanding the game be changed because they are bad at the game.

I'd ask why i should be nice to such folk, but I'll be damned if I will take advice on forum etiquette from someone who can post replies like the majority of those the OP posted in this thread and other places.

Review of the OP's posting history shows that the OP is quick to escalate disagreements, habitually misuses the term bully to besmirch people they disagree with or don;t play as well as, and frequently insults people while quite often ignoring the contents of postings.

In other words, the OP's history is a much stronger case for how not to be a nice poster.

The OP has no bona fides to initiate a discussion on etiquette that does not begin with. "I'm sorry I'm a rude poster, here;s what I will do to try and change." and stops at that point.

Instead we are presented with the sheer arrogance of a rude poster questioning other people's postings.

I'm not being holier-then-thou, I recognize that at the best of times I'm an arrogant rude ass. But at least I recognize I'm a rude ass, don't post in a pubescent vernacular, and am not so self delusionally arrogant as to tell others how to post nicely,

Graviton

Review of the OP's posting history shows that the OP is quick to escalate disagreements, habitually misuses the term bully to besmirch people they disagree with or don;t play as well as, and frequently insults people while quite often ignoring the contents of postings.

None of which makes his first post in this thread wrong.

Calling someone a hypocrite doesn't invalidate their argument, even if you're right.

Algona

None of which makes his first post in this thread wrong.

Calling someone a hypocrite doesn't invalidate their argument, even if you're right.

Note for the record, I did not call the OP a hypocrite. i think they believe they really are a nice poster.

I didn't say the first post is wrong, I said I'll be damned if I'll take advice on etiquette from a person who doesn't appear to understand or demonstrate it.

Is the first post wrong? It's mostly subjective. The OP makes unsupported statements, asks a lot of loaded questions that assume facts not in evidence, and asks rhetorical questions dismissing the problems implicit in those questions with banal answers.

Let me ask you what is objectively stated in that post? What is the OP asking for?

Graviton

I didn't say the first post is wrong, I said I'll be damned if I'll take advice on etiquette from a person who doesn't appear to understand or demonstrate it.

Which strikes me as the equivalent of calling him a hypocrite, but okay, you didn't actually use that word. I believe your intent was the same: we shouldn't listen to his point because he is guilty of not adhering to it himself. If that's not the argument you're trying to make then I have misunderstood.

Let me ask you what is objectively stated in that post? What is the OP asking for?

He's asking for us to stop being jerks to new/ignorant posters, and pledged to do the same thing. I don't find that objectionable no matter who's saying it.

Emberguard

Note for the record, I did not call the OP a hypocrite. i think they believe they really are a nice poster.
The word hypocrite literally translates to mean "actor" - most people use it more to mean someone who says one thing but does another

You might not have called them a hypocrite by name, but your post certainly seemed to imply it

Either way whether his OP is accurate reflection of his own history or not (either through misremembering or intention) he's still challenging us to look at ourselves and improve the way we do things around here

So what if he's got a couple details inaccurate. How many times do people actually remember something 100% the way it happened?

I mean sure call him out on his history if he needs to discuss what really happened, but the point of the OP is totally fair enough. Make the new guys feel welcome and not stupid for posting.

Algona

Which strikes me as the equivalent of calling him a hypocrite, but okay, you didn't actually use that word. I believe your intent was the same: we shouldn't listen to his point because he is guilty of not adhering to it himself. If that's not the argument you're trying to make then I have misunderstood.

The word hypocrite literally translates to mean "actor" - most people use it more to mean someone who says one thing but does another

You might not have called them a hypocrite by name, but your post certainly seemed to imply it

Wrong. If I thought the OP was a hypocrite I'd tell it bang. I'm literate enough to know the meaning of the word, and if i didn't use it it's because I intentionally avoided it because I didn't think it applied.

I'd deeply appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth then try to argue with yourself about why what you want to attribute to me but I didn't say is wrong.

I'll come back to why I brought up the OP's history a little later.

----------

He's asking for us to stop being jerks to new/ignorant posters

. Make the new guys feel welcome and not stupid for posting.

I invite you to go back and reread the first post and note exactly what OP is asking us to be nice about. Tge OP wants us to be nice to new bad posters.

My point in bringing up the OP's history isn't to impugn the idea of being nice, it's to question what basis the OP has to believe that being nice to new bad posters is gonna do any good. What has the OP done on this forum that would give credence to their opinion on the question of whether being nice to new bad posters would do any good? OP has not done it, so has no personal experience.

----------

Which brigs me to two questions I asked myself long before joining these forums.

Does being nice to new bad posters do any good?

Does being nice to new bad posters have harmful effects?

When you have answered those two questions to your satisfaction,you'll know what to do.

You don't need d to tell me your answers, it will be obvious in how you respond hence.

Last edited:

Freshmeboy

Well, I guess I'll put my two cents in....Like Grav there, I too, have flung my share of poo over the years. That being said, I can see a partial solution to many of the issues that plague the proposal threads. the first being a template form for the forum to ease the process. Imagine NOBODY having to be the Proposal Police 9 out of 10 entries. The consistency of failed formats by new posters screams that the system is flawed. That alone would reduce the amount of negativity that new posters experience when they join. Unaware that a format system even exists but a big inviting + sign that instantly shows a thread starter is clearly available is also a flawed opening page. I don't blame new posters who start invalid proposals for doing so and how can they be blamed for being attacked for not knowing the "secret" formula that is several rows down out of view...? Erase this boondoggle of a page and I'll bet dollars to donuts most of the snark and attitude will disappear with new members and membership will actually increase..which is good for the game and the forum...Uhh..try not to step to my left...there is some..uh....ahh...er...poo there...