• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

2000 Aborted quest limit per day

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSpence4

Inno hasn't stated anything publicly in regards to what applies to this specific change and what doesn't. So it's a bit of a moot point on why the change was done unless you're trying to address how the changes effect a particular concern or how better to address the change from that perspective
I just wish they would would make an announcement as to why and if they are doing anything to address the current situation at hand. I don't think that is asking too much to at least explain the reasoning behind this and there thoughts going forward.

Johnny B. Goode

I just wish they would would make an announcement as to why and if they are doing anything to address the current situation at hand. I don't think that is asking too much to at least explain the reasoning behind this and there thoughts going forward.
You know, the funny thing is...they did. They clearly stated that the reasoning was to deal with an "exploit". Many of the players who have benefitted from this exploit (not all) have tried to spin it as a response to bots, but that has never even been hinted at by Inno.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the current situation at hand" unless you're just referring to all the players complaining about their exploit being addressed. Unless/until there is further word or action from Inno, I believe that it is safe to assume that the current state of RQs is the new normal and players will just have to adjust to it. Just like all the guilds who used to have thriving swap threads had to adjust to the new normal of Arc80 snipers. The game has been changing in big and small ways since the beginning. Adapt or quit are the two options.

RazorbackPirate

To that end, you may want to check your in game messages for the following announcement and participate. Seems asking the specific question above would garner enough likes to be in the running.

1618673157274.png

I'd like to know both the reasoning behind this and why they felt this particular solution was the best way to address it. I'd ask, but it's on Facebook. Never had it, never will.

BigSpence4

You know, the funny thing is...they did. They clearly stated that the reasoning was to deal with an "exploit". Many of the players who have benefitted from this exploit (not all) have tried to spin it as a response to bots, but that has never even been hinted at by Inno.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the current situation at hand" unless you're just referring to all the players complaining about their exploit being addressed. Unless/until there is further word or action from Inno, I believe that it is safe to assume that the current state of RQs is the new normal and players will just have to adjust to it. Just like all the guilds who used to have thriving swap threads had to adjust to the new normal of Arc80 snipers. The game has been changing in big and small ways since the beginning. Adapt or quit are the two options.
What exact exploit?

Assumptions aren't facts. I will wait until inno gives actually information on this situation. (meaning are they going to keep this current abort limit, or are they going to make changes to it)

Algona

They clearly stated that the reasoning was to deal with an "exploit"

Clearly? Eye of the beholder?

Is a statement clear when well hidden?

Maybe it's clear in hindsight.

Seems to me if INNO had made a clear Announcement about the Abort cap that at least one of the first 171 posts in this thread would have mentioned or linked to that Announcement.

It wasn't until Agent in post 172 provided links to the two separate Announcements that anyone started to discuss those two Announcements or began to understand what was going on re INNO's official comments about the Abort cap.

My follow up post (175) states my opinion about that which can be summarized that CMT made a series of mistakes that left the player base in the dark regarding the Abort Cap change.

Some additional points I did not make in that post.

Can anyone point to anything from INNO that said that the Abort cap was going live Apr 8?

That the Abort cap would be 2000?

If QA had not screwed up and released the 2 second Abort delay would we have ever seen the Announcement of Mar 5 that stated INNO was implementing an Abort cap?

Clarity is CMT's job. I suspect that this may well be first time a lot of people may believe they failed in that job.

iPenguinPat

You hit the 2000 loop limit? Are you doing anything else in the game?

Now that the new age is out, I'm hearing about a lot of people hitting the 2000 limit. I'd guess at least a quarter of my guild has hit the limit at least once - some have hit it daily. Keeping in mind that you can go through a lot more cycles if you complete multiple quests per cycle - and we're set up to do 5-6 per cycle "easily."

It would be nice to have an abort counter so we all know how many we have left for budgeting. I might rush to quick RQ's vs. going through 5-6 per cycle depending on when the max per day resets.

Pretty sure the data now about how many people are hitting the limit would be much more useful than the data from 2-3 months ago when SAAB was super duper stale. I bet it's a lot more hitting 2000 now

wolfhoundtoo

Sure but it's a one time boost due to people wanting a lot more goods because they entered the new age that came out. The number hitting it will drop back down once that initial rush is over in a relatively short time (well until the next age hits of course).

I'm not sure how much work it will be to plan to do more of the quests in a cycle (so you don't abort as many) but that's something that players will have to consider doing if the limit means they aren't getting the goods that they want out of their CF.

Algona

If QA had not screwed up and released the 2 second Abort delay would we have ever seen the Announcement of Mar 5 that stated INNO was implementing an Abort cap?

The more I think about that, the madder I get.

I was rereading the Mar 5 Clarification Announcement already getting mad about the weasel wording (How do you clarify something never said? Player misconception is whose fault? Technical Issue? Who did they collect feedback from? This says Abort exploits, nothing about Coin / Supply Exploits. An apology for the confusion this caused? Isn't part of an apology trying not to do it again? Guess what? We're still confused!)

I was wondering if that Clarification was amateur hour or panic?

Then it hit me.

I don't think NNO was planning on sating anything about the Abort cap until after it had been implemented.

According to the Clarification Announcement of Mar 5

the 2 second Abort delay was a bug, err, technical issue propped to the live servers Mar 3 in an attempt to introduce the Abort cap.

The Update Announcement for Mar 3, 1.199 doesn't say anything about the Abort Cap or fixing an exploit.

INNO slipped in the Abort cap Mar 3 without annotating it in the published changelog.

The first word from INNO about the Abort cap came 2 days after they propped it to the live servers. They took it down to fix the 2 second delay. The 2 second delay was why no one noticed the Abort cap at the time. We never would have gotten the Clarification Announcement without the 2 second bug.

So, amateur hour or panic?

Want something really scary?

What if it's neither? What if everything CMT has done and omitted is exactly as instructed by INNO?

wolfhoundtoo

Yeah probably is on their instructions. I can see how someone would conclude an announcement would bring on a blow back in the forums and online so I can believe it was on purpose. Of course I find that more comforting than that they aren't organized enough to make sure the revisions to their program are implemented when they intend for them to be implemented. ;)

Mind you it implies that they actually thought no one would notice which is tough to believe but whether it was an error or omission, they've clearly gone into damage control mode here. From my perspective, I think that no matter what they say it wouldn't make the blow back from this decision any better and would have a high chance of making it worse.

Agent327

The first word from INNO about the Abort cap came 2 days after they propped it to the live servers. They took it down to fix the 2 second delay. The 2 second delay was why no one noticed the Abort cap at the time. We never would have gotten the Clarification Announcement without the 2 second bug.

So you really believe nobody noticed the cap because of the delay? Amazing!

What if it's neither? What if everything CMT has done and omitted is exactly as instructed by INNO?

What if the clarification announcement was not made by CMT?

BigSpence4

Algona said:

Algona said:
I am 99.9% confident there was no limit at the time the delayed aborting quest was going on. I went to mobile to loop as the quest there weren't effected just PC players to my knowledge. I feel confident that at least 1 day of my playing on mobile I would of hit it with the amount of looping I was doing.

Johnny B. Goode

they've clearly gone into damage control mode here.
You think so? I don't. I think they anticipated this reaction and are determined to ride it out. There has been no official word other than the mention of dealing with exploits. Damage control would imply that they are doing something actively to mitigate the "blow back", but I don't see any actions or comments other than two mods who don't know any more than we do about it. I could be wrong, they could be working feverishly behind the scenes in Germany to come up with a "solution". But they might not think a "solution" is needed. Nobody here knows one way or the other. It's all meaningless speculation. Personally, I think that if they wanted to consider feedback on this abort limit, they would have officially announced it and provided a feedback thread like they do with most changes/updates. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes to me.

Algona

How many folks posted about reaching the limit while the delay was in place?

Back to distraction tactics? Do you really think those will work again?

For those of you relatively new to the forum, before becoming a mod Agent spent about 18 months disrupting threads through trying to bring up irrelevant arguments. Disruption through distraction.

In this case distracting from the fact that INNO didn't announce the change before trying to slip it into the game.

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that. I wasn't going to point it out, I've been hammering on CMT enough as is. It makes me especially happy that you brought it up.

The Abort cap made someone at INNO decide to skip right over CMT to post through that account for the first time in 7 years.

It's CMT's job to communicate to the community. That others at INNO chose to forego working through CMT?

Gee, more to speculate about thanks to you, huh?

Expletive Deleted

As someone who doesn't go deep into RQs I'm unaffected by this, but out of curiosity, with the 2k limit in place, how many RQs could one be expected to complete in a given cycle? Assuming your collections and timersnall work out in your favor.

Emberguard

It's CMT's job to communicate to the community. That others at INNO chose to forego working through CMT?
Pretty sure the CM coordinating the announcement didn't have a forum account at the time. That other account was already set up

wolfhoundtoo

You think so? I don't. I think they anticipated this reaction and are determined to ride it out. There has been no official word other than the mention of dealing with exploits. Damage control would imply that they are doing something actively to mitigate the "blow back", but I don't see any actions or comments other than two mods who don't know any more than we do about it. I could be wrong, they could be working feverishly behind the scenes in Germany to come up with a "solution". But they might not think a "solution" is needed. Nobody here knows one way or the other. It's all meaningless speculation. Personally, I think that if they wanted to consider feedback on this abort limit, they would have officially announced it and provided a feedback thread like they do with most changes/updates. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes to me.

Sometimes silence is golden or in this case making sure that what's said doesn't make things worse. they don't need to avoid blow back from the decision but they do want to keep it relatively contained. No idea what the other forums are saying but lack of an official response says to me that whatever they are seeing isn't worth making any comments that can (and will) be used against them. Common mistake really in that people just don't know when not to talk.

Agent327

How many folks posted about reaching the limit while the delay was in place?

So if nobody posts about it, it isn't there?

the 2 second Abort delay was a bug, err, technical issue propped to the live servers Mar 3 in an attempt to introduce the Abort cap.

Nobody posted it was an attempt to introduce the cap, so you are making things up.

They took it down to fix the 2 second delay. The 2 second delay was why no one noticed the Abort cap at the time. We never would have gotten the Clarification Announcement without the 2 second bug.

How can they take something down that wasn't there? Nobody posted there was a cap. That nobody noticed it was there is something you are making up. If nobody noticed and nobody includes you, then it is just a figment of your imagination.

You are making things up to support your theory.

The Abort cap made someone at INNO decide to skip right over CMT to post through that account for the first time in 7 years.

Really nice try. Another one of your efforts to present your theory as a fact and again, nothing more than something you make up.

Now the real fact. Nobody "skipped right over" CMT. That account was used to post the message, cause CMT wasn't in the position to post it at the moment, so CMT asked to do it for them. Not the first time that happened and most likely not the last time. I am sure you do not believe me and want to stick to your own theory, cause that suits you much more, but just have a look on other forums. You will see a mix of that account and CMT posts.

No need to react. Not going to discuss this with you any further. Do not want to give you a platform for your complot theories. The more facts I give you, the more you make up.

Algona

No need to react.

Oh yes, there is. You repeated a lie about me three times in that post. If you are in non mod persona you have no place to tell me to not reply. If you are telling me not to reply in mod persona, you have no basis to falsely accuse me. To wit:

Nobody posted it was an attempt to introduce the cap, so you are making things up (1).

How can they take something down that wasn't there? Nobody posted there was a cap.

You are making things up (2) to support your theory.

the more you make up (3).

Well, somebody is making stuff up.

Why would I make stuff up when INNO is the one who wrote it and you provided the link? From the Mar 5 Clarification:

This week, we moved forward with an update that sets a limit on Quest Aborts to prevent this exploit, and the impact it has on our servers.​

Argue with that.

Not going to discuss this with you any further.

That's one way to avoid giving me the apology I'm due from you for repeating a lie three times.

Anyway, I'd appreciate instead of you erasing your false accusations, you edit in an apology after each of the false accusations stating you were wrong to accuse me of making up that INNO said the 2 second delay was a result of trying to introduce the Abort cap.

Damn straight I'm up in arms about this. When I make a mistake, I own it.

Let's see you do the same.

Now the real fact. Nobody "skipped right over" CMT. That account was used to post the message, cause CMT wasn't in the position to post it at the moment, so CMT asked to do it for them.

I don't understand this. Possibly the last line in that is missing a phrase and should read "so CMT asked the account holder to do it for them."

None of four CMT could get to the forum. I'm sure it's me comploticizing, but somehow I find that a bit disturbing.

Yeah, I am finding fault with everything CMT has done over the last 6 weeks regarding the Abort cap, maybe it's because I'm paranoid.

Or it could be that to this point nothing CMT has done regarding communicating about the Abort cap has been right.

Not the first time that happened and most likely not the last time. I am sure you do not believe me and want to stick to your own theory, cause that suits you much more, but just have a look on other forums. You will see a mix of that account and CMT posts.

Sure. As always, I reject your contention posters on this forum should be expected to know, understand, or follow what happens on another forum.

From the forum rules:

- It is permitted to discuss other FoE servers, but please bear in mind that they are separate entities, and what goes for one may not necessarily go for another. There are some exceptions to this rule:​

'Cause it's only happened twice here in the past 7 years, both times regarding the Abort cap.

As stated, a lot, it's not my job to communicate the state of the game, it's CMT's.

Do not want to give you a platform for your complot theories. The more facts I give you...

...the worse CMT looks.

If I point to three mistakes or unsupported opinions you posted in this thread will you retract the word 'facts'?

I'm looking forward to that apology.

----------

There was no cap when the delay was in place. It only slowed me down, and made it more mundane but I still had more than 2,000 aborts. That would only have been looping on about 20 large GB's which I usually do around 40 or 50 a day.

Thanks for the information.

As noted uppost INNO posted this two days after the delay started:

This week, we moved forward with an update that sets a limit on Quest Aborts to prevent this exploit, and the impact it has on our servers.​

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I appreciate it.

Mea culpa, I was wrong. Pretty stupid of me to believe it when INNO said they had deployed the Abort cap. I should have remembered the current cycle of crappy QA of course they would screw the Cap limit rollout, too.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

It's annoying that a mod posts aren't actually Inno opinions; in the end they are players just like us and have no answers to our questions.
I used to do a lot of recurrent quest every time when we started a new age / era. The timing before SAV sucks.
Beyond that it's nothing very useful, if you don't sell goods on an industrial scale.
I don't understand what great change did they expect
probably never will understand, but hey, Inno is like that
would like to have them play and try to get in top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.