• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Buying Lot of Alabaster from My Guild Leaders

Freshmeboy

I think it's to allow Tucker to explain and show his concept of the game dynamics according to his various strategies and theories...and while I don't agree to all of them, I applaud his unwavering spirit and positive attitude in the face of seasoned vets in the game and on this forum. Perhaps he will create a thread all his own titled 'TuckerTalk'...a place where we can all experience the game from a different vantage point...

DeletedUser31498

Please don't buy future era goods to "trade down" for alabaster.
Just ......don't.

I mean I get your being a bit sarcastic, but buying FE goods does actually seem smart to me (I occasionally do it, but in my world future goods are expensive).

In W FE goods are 2:1. so 1 FP yields 2 FE goods, which can be probably trade down to 40 LMA goods? (in W there's a MASSIVE deficit of contemporary, where IT goods cost same as Arc goods though, its seriously insane.) Someone correct me if their worlds are different, but that's very conservative I think.

So a 2x2 SoK can yield more than an entire goods building with no coin/supply cost or pop cost, and giving coins. Someone correct me where I'm wrong?

DeletedUser30900

I mean I get your being a bit sarcastic, but buying FE goods does actually seem smart to me (I occasionally do it, but in my world future goods are expensive).

In W FE goods are 2:1. so 1 FP yields 2 FE goods, which can be probably trade down to 40 LMA goods? (in W there's a MASSIVE deficit of contemporary, where IT goods cost same as Arc goods though, its seriously insane.) Someone correct me if their worlds are different, but that's very conservative I think.

So a 2x2 SoK can yield more than an entire goods building with no coin/supply cost or pop cost, and giving coins. Someone correct me where I'm wrong?
He’s saying buying FE goods by FPs and trading down for goods. Just FYI

DeletedUser31498

He’s saying buying FE goods by FPs and trading down for goods. Just FYI

Yes, that's what I said:

I'm comparing how 1 FP can turn into easily 40 goods of his age. so a 2x2 building becomes massively (3+x maybe>??)more efficient than a goods building.

DeletedUser

I've successfully tricked Lord Muggle this time with the Oracle of Delphi and Kiosks. No players in the world will build their cities like the screen I show above due to the wrong timelines of the event buildings.
Yeah, silly Lord Muggle. Trying to keep up with your dizzying intellect. :)
Oracle of Delphi mostly exists only in worlds created on or after the 2nd half of year 2017. I wouldn't build the Oracle unless all of the 9 blueprints were given from the story quests.
Man, thanks for this advice, I've been going back and forth for weeks on whether or not to search out the BPs for the Oracle. ;)
Lots of screenshots were posted on the "Smallville and Tiny Town" thread, There wasn't 1 like mine.
Proof that your genius is truly exceptional. :cool:
I just researched LMA "Apartment Houses", there are Colonial, Industrial, Progressive, Modern and Postmodern in between me and Contemporary Era.
You know, I've been wondering what the exact order of the eras was. Thanks again for enlightening me. :D
Since Lord Muggle's critique of my city at first time, I already took down EMA, HMA and LMA. I must have my Fishing Hut or Oasis for each era, that Summer Chest has shown up almost every week.
I hope someday to attain the intellectual capacity to decipher your wisdom here. :)
Refined Goods: I can use forge points to buy the Future Era goods from my guild leader, then trade them down to modern and postmodern.
Another pearl. Keep 'em coming, tuck old boy! :p

DeletedUser

Why am I not surprised that you agree with tuck's genius?

DeletedUser31498

Why am I not surprised that you agree with tuck's genius?

Ok, instead of commenting on our intellect, explain why if one is camping in LMA or below, that buying goods and trading down doesn't make sense. I've already layed out my math for why I think it does, and three times I asked if/where my assumptions were wrong. All you wrote was that Tuck and I are stupid. I'm happy to agree if you can support your claim with math/logic rather than insults.

DeletedUser29563

Ok, instead of commenting on our intellect, explain why if one is camping in LMA or below, that buying goods and trading down doesn't make sense. I've already layed out my math for why I think it does, and three times I asked if/where my assumptions were wrong. All you wrote was that Tuck and I are stupid. I'm happy to agree if you can support your claim with math/logic rather than insults.
Time...prioritization....and value.
Lets go one by one...first...

Time: buying future era goods...and trading down to LMA takes time and a lot of era by era FT calculating. Furthermore...unless he is in a strong guild..most of his trades are gonna need to be fairly small. Like I said...time.

Priority: while I agree that goods are more than essential. Forge points are more essential. Goods serve only one purpose...to fulfill a transaction. Be it trade with players or the game itself. Forge points not only aid your progress...they are in the driver seat.
Also the availibilty ratio goods:fp from city production capability make this entire discussion a no brainer.

Value: think about this. Try and put a "face value"on FP. I have many times...and it cannot be done. In terms of this game...they are priceless.
Goods have a defined face value. In each situation they are needed(tech..GE negotiation..ect). There is a direct cause and effect with goods transactions.
Forge points are too valuable to you game to use as a goods boost. Just build goods buildings...and use you fp to hyper level your chateau...so you can in turn...sell those goods buildings.
Now that is a viable strategy.

DeletedUser31498

Time...prioritization....and value.
Lets go one by one...first...

Time: buying future era goods...and trading down to LMA takes time and a lot of era by era FT calculating. Furthermore...unless he is in a strong guild..most of his trades are gonna need to be fairly small. Like I said...time.

Priority: while I agree that goods are more than essential. Forge points are more essential. Goods serve only one purpose...to fulfill a transaction. Be it trade with players or the game itself. Forge points not only aid your progress...they are in the driver seat.
Also the availibilty ratio goods:fp from city production capability make this entire discussion a no brainer.

Value: think about this. Try and put a "face value"on FP. I have many times...and it cannot be done. In terms of this game...they are priceless.
Goods have a defined face value. In each situation they are needed(tech..GE negotiation..ect). There is a direct cause and effect with goods transactions.
Forge points are too valuable to you game to use as a goods boost. Just build goods buildings...and use you fp to hyper level your chateau...so you can in turn...sell those goods buildings.
Now that is a viable strategy.

Ok but if space is a constraint in one's city, which I imagine it is for most people camping, then trading down for goods frees up an immense amount of room. I've been unlucky with FP building rewards in GE, but if I had won a couple more TFs/SSWs, I would need to clear up room. I'm in Iron Age, and 1 tiny little FP can net me well over 100 Iron age goods. I get it, I'm not going to literally take 2 future goods, turn it into 3 tomorrow goods, etc. But in a chunk of 10 even, you get a massive amount of good, enough to not need to even waste room/time with RQing and space/pop on goods buildings, including coins/supples to keep them churning.

I'm guessing you all are for more advanced on the tech tree, and are failing to appreciate how massive 1 FP is in goods terms when trading down. And comparing the time required to mindlessly RQ as opposed to entering like 10 trades is a joke, right?

Regardless, there's no way his strategy is awful. It might not be optimal, though I suspect it is, but dismissing it with scorn shows a real lack of understanding imo.

Also you all have no idea what rate he buys FE goods at. He obviously gets sweetheart deals in his guild, and in W a lot of trading is 2:1 from PME down. But no one here likes using math to compare alternative strategies, so I'm just talking to myself.

DeletedUser

Ok but if space is a constraint in one's city, which I imagine it is for most people camping, then trading down for goods frees up an immense amount of room. I've been unlucky with FP building rewards in GE, but if I had won a couple more TFs/SSWs, I would need to clear up room. I'm in Iron Age, and 1 tiny little FP can net me well over 100 Iron age goods. I get it, I'm not going to literally take 2 future goods, turn it into 3 tomorrow goods, etc. But in a chunk of 10 even, you get a massive amount of good, enough to not need to even waste room/time with RQing and space/pop on goods buildings, including coins/supples to keep them churning.

I'm guessing you all are for more advanced on the tech tree, and are failing to appreciate how massive 1 FP is in goods terms when trading down. And comparing the time required to mindlessly RQ as opposed to entering like 10 trades is a joke, right?

Regardless, there's no way his strategy is awful. It might not be optimal, though I suspect it is, but dismissing it with scorn shows a real lack of understanding imo.

Also you all have no idea what rate he buys FE goods at. He obviously gets sweetheart deals in his guild, and in W a lot of trading is 2:1 from PME down. But no one here likes using math to compare alternative strategies, so I'm just talking to myself.
So you advocate producing lower era goods (because you have to make the physical trade for the higher era goods), producing FPs, (both of which take space, so you don't really free up anything there) then trading them both for higher era goods, which you then trade back down for lower era goods. I don't think I need math to see the folly in that strategy. If you are going to trade FP for goods, why not just trade for the goods from the era you need instead of trading for higher era goods and then trading down. At the very least your strategy has an unnecessary extra step to it.

wolfhoundtoo

If it's a guild trade why not just trade for what you wanted in the first place simply by placing the good to forge point trade ratio high enough if you have need of goods. As for trading fps that will vary by player as to whether they think that's a good idea or not. What are you using that now unused space (instead of goods) for?

Graviton

Since you're going to be trading anyway, eliminate a step or two: just build one goods building from an age. Not that much space, and you can trade from that pile of goods to get the rest. I have to agree with Mathew, FPs are too precious to be used to buy goods.