• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Chateau Frontenac, A Hopefully Healthy Obsession

DeletedUser31440

I've been slowly becoming more and more wrapped up in the allure of the Chateau Frontenac (CF), to the extent of making a hybrid HQS strategy focusing primarily on the advantages gained from the CF. This is hopefully going to be a thread that will help sort out what ideas I'm working with that are accurate and which are just plain wrong. If this goes well, I will probably turn this into a complete guide as I progress my test city using this plan, however I would like it to be more coherent and easier to follow/understand than CR's rambling guide. Anybody that feels inclined to work through this with me and help devise a good plan for using the CF to base a city around will earn my greatest appreciation and thanks.

I think that a good place to start would be some assumptions that I'm going to base my predictions off of:
Random Reward Chances:
Large Coin* & Large Supplies* - 1/14
Small Coin* & Small Supplies *- 2/14
Goods Package* - 5/14
Medals Package* - 1/14
5 FP Package - 1/14
1 BP of Current or Lesser Age - 1/14
(* Denotes that the reward can be boosted by a CF, diamonds are not included as you only get them once before they switch over to medals)

This look at the CF will also primarily focus in on Rinbin's Unbirthday Party Quest (UBQ) which costs:
BA - 600 Coins/500 Supplies
IA - 2,000 Coins/2,000 Supplies
EMA - 5,000 Coins/5,000 Supplies
HMA - 8,000 Coins/8,000 Supplies
LMA - 10,000 Coins/12,000 Supplies
CA - 25,000 Coins/30,000 Supplies
InA - 40,000 Coins/35,000 Supplies
PE - 60,000 Coins/50,000 Supplies
ME - 90,000 Coins/75,000 Supplies
PME - 110,000 Coins/90,000 Supplies
CE - 140,000 Coins/110,000 Supplies
TE - 170,000 Coins/140,000 Supplies
FE - 250,000 Coins/250,000 Supplies
AF - 280,000 Coins/280,000 Supplies
OF - 500,000 Coins/500,000 Supplies
Source - http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Unbirthday_Party

We will also need to take into consideration the Reward Amounts for UBQ's which are:
All Ages - 1 BP, 1 - 5 fp pack, 5 of One Good
BA - 5 Medals, 100 Coins (Small), 300 Coins (Large), 100 Supplies (Small), 300 Supplies (Large)
IA - 10 Medals, 1,000 Coins (Small), 3,000 Coins (Large), 1,000 Supplies (Small), 3,000 Supplies (Large)
EMA - 15 Medals, 2,000 Coins (Small), 5,000 Coins (Large), 2,000 Supplies (Small), 5,000 Supplies (Large)
HMA - 30 Medals, 3,000 Coins (Small), 6,000 Coins (Large), 3,000 Supplies (Small), 6,000 Supplies (Large)
LMA - 50 Medals, 5,000 Coins (Small), 10,000 Coins (Large), 5,000 Supplies (Small), 10,000 Supplies (Large)
CA - 75 Medals, 7,000 Coins (Small), 14,000 Coins (Large), 8,000 Supplies (Small), 17,000 Supplies (Large)
InA - 125 Medals, 10,000 Coins (Small), 18,000 Coins (Large), 11,000 Supplies (Small), 20,000 Supplies (Large)
PE - 180 Medals, 15,000 Coins (Small), 30,000 Coins (Large), 16,000 Supplies (Small), 32,000 Supplies (Large)
ME - 275 Medals, 20,000 Coins (Small), 45,000 Coins (Large), 21,000 Supplies (Small), 50,000 Supplies (Large)
PME - 400 Medals, 25,000 Coins (Small), 60,000 Coins (Large), 26,000 Supplies (Small), 70,000 Supplies (Large)
CE - 550 Medals, 34,000 Coins (Small), 90,000 Coins (Large), 32,000 Supplies (Small), 80,000 Supplies (Large)
TE - 700 Medals, 45,000 Coins (Small), 130,000 Coins (Large), 40,000 Supplies (Small), 110,000 Supplies (Large)
FE - 900 Medals, 57,000 Coins (Small), 171,000 Coins (Large), 50,000 Supplies (Small), 150,000 Supplies (Large)
AF - 1,100 Medals, 65,000 Coins (Small), 200,000 Coins (Large), 60,000 Supplies (Small), 190,000 Supplies (Large)
OF - 1,300 Medals, 70,000 Coins (Small), 220,000 Coins (Large), 65,000 Supplies (Small), 200,000 Supplies (Large)
Source: http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Reward

Ok, so now we have the base information that we need to start figuring out some strategies.

Basis of the strategy that I'd like to develop:
Stay in BA looping Helmets and guild hopping, you want to get as many bp's as possible during this period, main goal during this time period is to get 8 of the 9 CF bp's.
Get into IA and build the following Great Buildings (GB's):
Statue of Zeus (Zeus)- Level 5ish - Allows for completion of at least first 2 levels of the GE, fighting through the CE Map that will be unlocked, plundering neighbors
Lighthouse of Alexandria (LoA) - Level 5ish - I like to get goods for free, I also like to make a whole heck of a lot of supplies
Observatory (Obs) - Level 5ish - GvG Support Pool and pays for your GE unlocking costs
Chateau Frontenac (CF) - Level 10 - The heart of your city, buy goods using fp's and place ASAP
The Arc (Arc) - Level 10 - You're going to need many bp's and fp's, let's try to get them ASAP

Only finish the research that is essential for advancement. If I turn this into a complete guide I'll expand on this showing which techs I consider to be necessary and which I think should be saved for events.

EMA is going to be a quick stop, the goal will be to complete roughly 1,100 UBQ's, to do this and keep time in EMA as short as possible the coins and supplies necessary to complete them should be on hand prior to moving up. If this goes into a full guide I'll give more exact numbers on resources needed to do this.

HMA is going to be a relatively long stop, focus is putting down and leveling up Hagia Sophia (HS), Saint Mark's Basilica (SMB). Also will be taking Zeus, LoA, and Obs up some levels.

LMA is similiar to EMA, total # of UBQ's will be less if CF is leveled above 10, if not then expect around 1,100 UBQ's with the same stipulation as EMA (we want to have the coins and supplies on hand prior to beginning LMA).

CA is a long camp, expand land greatly with victory expansions and get a few new GB's to get rid of housing and add more happiness, attack boosts, and troops; Alcatraz (Traz), Castel del Monte (CDM), Cathedral of Aachen (CoA), Innovation Tower (Inno)

I am also going to play in a very minimalist way in regards to spending goods; no negotiations in GE, no negotiations in the Continent Map, buying goods with fp's for higher era GB's.
I also never want to build a single goods building in this city, so I will need to take advantage of other goods producing methods: GE rewards, GE Relics, Recurring Quest Rewards (RQ's), Incidents, Treasure Hunt (Daily Challenge when that comes out for everyone), Plundering neighbors, Taking advantage of unfair trades in my favor in the trade market, I'm sure there are others but that is all I can think of at the moment.

What I'd like to do is create a good stockpile of goods, different amounts per age/era depending on the usefulness of the goods moving forward and the ability to pick up trades in the market to help out guild mates.

I'm only going to generally go over the Early Goals as it seems like a bit of a waste to go too far past where I currently am with my test city.

Next up is playing with numbers to get desired results out of the CF:
So I've heard talk about the perpetual motion CF, while that would be awesome, it would take way too long to get there and make this pointless as any halfway sane person would give up well before that point. Instead I want to focus in on realistic goals for the CF.
I would like to be able to UBQ the goods that I want in my stockpile for each age/era that is not being camped in.
Another reason the perpetual motion CF seems too much for me is that the math behind it doesn't take into account the cascade effect of the CF.
(This is not a math based example, just one off the top of my head to illustrate what I mean)
Say that you can do 500 UBQ's and that with your CF you make enough coins/supplies to do an additional 220 UBQ's, those 220 will make you enough coins/supplies to do an additional 95 UBQ's, which will make enough coin/supplies to do an additional 40 UBQ's and so on until you get no more bonus UBQ's. In this example you would complete around 850 UBQ's with the coins/supplies stock to do 500. This makes that 1,100 UBQ's in non-camping ages a more realistic goal than a perpetual motion CF.

Get ready here come some equations, I'm going to using the equations as I have them in excel. If you don't know what some of the formula's are, I can help you figure them out if you'd like (if someone can let me know how to share and excel sheet on here I'd be happy to make mine available to others):
Inital Number of UBQ's (1st UBQ) that can be completed is the lower of these two equations:
int(Coins on Hand/Coins Needed for a UBQ)
int(Supplies on Hand/Supplies Needed for a UBQ)

int() function returns a rounded down whole number, I'm not concerned with fractions I only want the last whole number.

Rewards from initial UBQ's:
1st Coins Reward = ( int( (1st UBQ) * (2/14) ) * Small Coin Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) ) + ( int( (1st UBQ) * (1/14) ) * Large Coin Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) )
1st Supplies Reward = ( int( (1st UBQ) * (2/14) ) * Small Supplies Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) ) + ( int( (1st UBQ) * (1/14) ) * Large Supplies Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) )

2nd Round of UBQ's (2nd UBQ) that can be completed is the lower of these two equations:
int( 1st Coins Reward / Coins Need for a UBQ )
int( 1st Supplies Reward / Supplies Needed for a UBQ )

Rewards from 2nd Round UBQ's:
2nd Coins Reward = ( int( (2nd UBQ) * (2/14) ) * Small Coin Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) ) + ( int( (2nd UBQ) * (1/14) ) * Large Coin Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) )
2nd Supplies Reward = ( int( (2nd UBQ) * (2/14) ) * Small Supplies Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) ) + ( int( (2nd UBQ) * (1/14) ) * Large Supplies Reward * ( 1 + CF Boost) )

Formula will continue cascading down, I did 10 levels of cascades on my excel sheet, but this is probably many more than necessary.

Since goods are my main concern at the moment this is the formula for the total number of goods gained during the UBQ's:
= int ( (Total UBQ's Completed) * (5/14) ) * 5 * ( 1 + CF Boost)

That's it for now, let me know what you think, or if you see any inaccuracies in my assumptions or formulas.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31392

Ahhh I wondered if someone was going to do this as well. I myself have been working out a guide to implement the CF GB into a full blown strategy. However, my goal is to work out the fastest way to get a perpetual motion CF going as early as possible, as the level required to do so gets higher and higher with each passing age, though I'm not sure if it is truly needed to continue after a certain point and all your coins and supplies can be generated from 1 quest.

I did do the BA Helmet/Guild Hop method for almost 4 weeks now (though the guild hopping was slacking a bit for a week and a half or so), and have gain 100 5fp packs so far, along with around 4000 BA goods (trading up for IA and EMA to build LoA and Hagia when I get there, and working on HMA for SMB, so these numbers are scattered across 3 ages and is a rough estimate based on the "fair trade" values of these goods).

I also have developed a level 7 ToB during this time. With it now I have turned my Blacksmiths over to Slingers, and my plan is to work the Slinger/Spear quest for about the same time to determine just how much more profitable it is. I am 15 medals away from the 500 medal expansion, and with it I can add in my final 2 slingers to bring the total to 34, so every hour Incan theoretically complete 17 slinger/spear quests, along with a few coin quests in between. Based off of the values for the rewards given on the Wiki that you have listed in your spoiler tag, I have figured a loss of 600 supplies for every 12 rounds of slinger/spear quests (which include about 20 collect coin quests throughout the same timeframe, collecting from the longhouse each hour and guild hopping, plus the 15 chalets I have and finishing those with more guild hopping).

If this theory proves right should be able to far outpace the helmet method, though I think at least 2 weeks of doing so is not a bad idea to build a buffer before implementing the Slinger/Spear method. Once I do a few days of this I will be able to see if it has paid off (which I think it will, even if I can only do a few of these rounds a day. A blacksmith or 2 may be required to be added in so there is zero loss of supplies over the course of a day. Note too the amount of coins is gained over this time sonno worries there).

The eventual goal is to have enough Goods and fp packs to purchase Arc and Chateau Goods, with a large excess after which to utilize swaps while remaining in IA as long as possible. The goal of which is to get to that magical 72 number and see just how ludicrous the coin/supply profits can be. Of course I wouldn't remain camped in IA forever, but this method theory I have would put me at a faster pace to reach high levels of GBs and advance to any age I wish to, with large amounts of resources.

I like the idea of wanting to complete a set number of UBQs in each age, though not 100% sure on the reasoning behind the number you chose. I'll do some quick math here soon, but I assume it has to do with the a number of goods you wish to recieve from doing so. Possibly Medals as well? Please elaborate a little more on that subject for me :)

I can see the two of us are of similar mindsets, but with differing goals in mind, though I think we can work together to make things easier :)

Also, my current HMA city is already at a point that I gain more goods than I use for GE1-3, and I think that if the guild unlocked 4 every week I would have plenty of extra goods still, and I do Neg every stage, ~80 RQs done in a given day, and just yesterday reached level 10 with my Chateau. Level 8 SMB, level 6 LoA, Level 10 Arc, level 5 Inno, Level 7 Hagia (plus a CdM and ToR). 60 Alchemist, 7 SoK/2 King/1 SSW, Lord Manor, 2 Palace/3 Tower combo, Haunted House and Black Tower, and a tribal Square are the source of my coins and supplies, around 250k supplies/day (with a current surplus of coins with adding the Halloween stuff and the Square to utilize all the space accordingly, though the Square won't be sticking around forever once I unlock a few more piecies of land)

DeletedUser28670

It is really and truly sick what a 110+ lvl CF does.
It is, especially when you have this guy called @LacLongQuan with the highest CF in the game, and he **used to** have 300+ blacksmiths in OFE....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27889

I have long thought that CF was one of the most underrated GBs in the game, along with SMB. Most people are using their arcs to raise their Traz, AOs, or Military GBs but the first things I'm going to focus on once my arc is @ 80 are SMB, CF and LoA.

My method for questing strongly relies on 1) Gather coin 2) Gather Supplies 3) Spend FP. 4)Unbirthday

Ideal buildings for me are ones that provide coin and or supplies as well as anything else. I focus on SoKs, the black tower was great for this, SSWs, palace sets etc. While I do have some luaus terrace farms etc they are only there until I find something that supplies coin as well as FP.

Since I've unlocked the 2nd quest giver my method has been as follows during my collection:
Load up gather coin in slot 1
Load up gather supplies in slot 2
Collect until I trigger supplies/coins and have gathered enough bar FP to compete 1 spend FP quest.
Load (or have still loaded) collect coin in slot 1
Load spend FP in slot 2. (This is because often you will get coins/supplies as a reward, which will help you finish the other quest)
Spend FP on whatever
Load supplies in slot 1
Load coin in slot 2
Finish collection.

Have either gather coin or supplies in slot 1
Spam UBQ in slot 2. Any time you get supplies or coin (if you're end game you can have both loaded in 3rd RQ slot) from UBQ they become recycled into gather coin/supply quest if you also have them loaded.

I have a stopping point for supplies as I get much less of them than coin, my number is 4 million. So when I spam UBQ I keep an eye on my supplies and run it down to 4 million (or 3.9xxx) everyday.

I use Arc to scope my hood/friends list and guild for not just positions that will net me FP but will also contribute to those where I will break even. I always keep spend FP and gather coin when I do. Even breaking even FP wise but triggering 4 or so spend FP quests is worth it for me. So long as you know the players are active and going to level the buildings, spending FP quest+Arc becomes almost another 'perpetual motion quest' I spend and spend, triggering rewards, and get my points back at the end. + medals and BPs.

DeletedUser31440

@Mek2 I'm showing level 73 in my calculator for being perpetual motion in IA, it may be that I'm rounding down to whole integers and not looking at anything after the decimals though. 1,100 UBQ's puts me around 5,000 goods from that age with a level 10 CF, those goods aren't really worth too much, so I figured that was a good number + what I'll need for research to collect of them. I like the perpetual motion machine, but really I just want to be completely free of goods buildings in all ages/eras, and to produce about a gazillion of each of the goods in PE, PME, CE & FE to sell.

@Algona I agree that would get it done fast, but I don't think I'd actually play an account where I was just power leveling the CF and Arc. That will come either in CA or the next stop after, but my city is still far away from there. As it stands I'm spending more time in IA than I really like to, but the payback on the UBQ is so much greater in IA that it's hard to move out without really even taking advantage of it.

@Manda the first I hadn't thought about using the Arc to propel the spend fp's, should have seen that though. The more I look at the CF the more confused I am by how few cities I tend to see it in.

DeletedUser31392

@Mek2 I'm showing level 73 in my calculator for being perpetual motion in IA, it may be that I'm rounding down to whole integers and not looking at anything after the decimals though. 1,100 UBQ's puts me around 5,000 goods from that age with a level 10 CF, those goods aren't really worth too much, so I figured that was a good number + what I'll need for research to collect of them. I like the perpetual motion machine, but really I just want to be completely free of goods buildings in all ages/eras, and to produce about a gazillion of each of the goods in PE, PME, CE & FE to sell.

@Algona I agree that would get it done fast, but I don't think I'd actually play an account where I was just power leveling the CF and Arc. That will come either in CA or the next stop after, but my city is still far away from there. As it stands I'm spending more time in IA than I really like to, but the payback on the UBQ is so much greater in IA that it's hard to move out without really even taking advantage of it.

@Manda the first I hadn't thought about using the Arc to propel the spend fp's, should have seen that though. The more I look at the CF the more confused I am by how few cities I tend to see it in.

It truly is a vastly underrated GB that most players overlook simply because it doesn’t directly produce fps or give a military boost. Yet when you understand how it works and how to properly utilize the %boost, then you realize this is potentially just as equally powerful as The Arc.

The number 72 came from an equation that someone else had derived from working backwards on the rewards given against how much is returned from coins and supplies.

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Château_Frontenac_as_perpetual_motion_machine

This will link you to the page in question. In the comments I had asked how the formula was derived and Empi123 explained how it was done. In my own spreadsheet I had I plugged the numbers in and compared with my own calculations vs the formula and it matches. Though in my calculation I have no way of rounding the number to remove the decimals (cheap freeware spreadsheet on iOS), so my actual number came slightly under 72, whereas this formula does indeed end with 72 as the required level in Iron Age.

However, I think 73 would be a safer level to utilize the perpetual motion aspect to increase the rewards given. That would ensure your resources would not go down anymore, and can sit back and just click click click away and watch your coins/supplies go higher and higher :D

I do agree it would take a lot of work and effort to make it happen, but I think in the end the rewards from it would pay off.

DeletedUser31440

The number 72 came from an equation that someone else had derived from working backwards on the rewards given against how much is returned from coins and supplies.

I was looking at the calculator wrong, it is showing me an initial decrease that levels off for all remaining cascades. Level 73 was showing a gain on each cascade level, but 72 will run continuously at no gain.
Level 72 showing through 3 runs:
Lvl 72.PNG

Level 73 showing through 3 runs:
Lvl 73.PNG

My goal is to find the Chateau to the level that I need in each age/era to be able to produce 300 goods a day with UBQ's and other RQ's. I've got to add a few things to my calculator and mess around in the city designer to figure out reasonable numbers for each age/era.

DeletedUser31392

I was looking at the calculator wrong, it is showing me an initial decrease that levels off for all remaining cascades. Level 73 was showing a gain on each cascade level, but 72 will run continuously at no gain.
Level 72 showing through 3 runs:
View attachment 8668

Level 73 showing through 3 runs:
View attachment 8669

My goal is to find the Chateau to the level that I need in each age/era to be able to produce 300 goods a day with UBQ's and other RQ's. I've got to add a few things to my calculator and mess around in the city designer to figure out reasonable numbers for each age/era.

That makes more sense when listed out like that. I do believe the formula on that page would in fact give a return on the level needed to have a net loss/gain of 0, so then 73 would be profitable in a sense.

I’m my HMA City I am at the point in which you are asking for. I complete at least 90 RQs a day from doing Alchemist, Coins, FP spending and the UBQs. 90 RQs/day gives me 32 theoretical hits on the goods reward, netting 416 total goods with a level 10 Chateau. More than what you are seeking of course, and only HMA values, but gives you a place to start maybe?

See my above post for Level Values on GBs and what buildings I have in that city. To add I also have the Pavilion and Majestic Maypole adding 9% to both coin/supply productions and Tavern Boosts will get swapped every few days to make the values equal out a bit with higher priority on having excess coins for fp costs and a buffer for when I am ready to Age up. I will usually run down to ~50k supplies to leave room to do additional UBQs when completing more spend FP quests throughout the day. All my buildings get motivated every day well before collections as well.

*Arturis*

Just experimental when I got bored, gave that up after a week, so much clicking, I am still sick from it, just realized that I don't need all those blacksmiths as I can do the UBQ without cost anytime I need.

Last edited:

DeletedUser28670

I can imagine, hundreds of clicks must be boring. It's a game after all, not some never-ending pattern of press, receive rewards, and repeat.

DeletedUser31392

I can imagine, hundreds of clicks must be boring. It's a game after all, not some never-ending pattern of press, receive rewards, and repeat.

Would you be surprised to know that some people actually enjoy that boring repetitiveness? I played the Final Fantasy franchise for years, and a good potion of that game is repetitive fighting the same area monsters over and over to power level characters to make boss battles easier.

I know not everyone is familiar with this Franchise, but a lot of RPG games for consoles were born out of it. And millions of people across the world enjoy doing the repitive fighting to gain levels, or trying to get a super rare drop from a specific monster to equip their whole party with.

Fun for some, not for all though.

Cjateau is pretty meh if you don't farm RQs. Many folk don't understand RQs at all, some don't understand looping, some choose not to pursue that path.

You forget it also applies to Diamonds, which makes it pretty decent for Historical Quests and Events like Halloween, as I pointed out before I got a pretty decent haul on those from this event.

DeletedUser28670

Would you be surprised to know that some people actually enjoy that boring repetitiveness? I played the Final Fantasy franchise for years, and a good potion of that game is repetitive fighting the same area monsters over and over to power level characters to make boss battles easier.

I know not everyone is familiar with this Franchise, but a lot of RPG games for consoles were born out of it. And millions of people across the world enjoy doing the repitive fighting to gain levels, or trying to get a super rare drop from a specific monster to equip their whole party with.

Fun for some, not for all though.
I know, but for me it's isn't fun. do stuff, repeat, do stuff... isn't my sort of game. I look for fun in a game, not repetiveness. I do know of several friends who enjoy it tho...

Algona

You forget it also applies to Diamonds

Nope, I didn't forget. My Chateau has brought me thousands of Diamonds Until GE lvl 4 opened Chateau was my top source of Diamonds.

Diamonds are important, and any source of free Diamonds should not be discounted, but I think GE provides so much more that unless a player farms RQs that the Chateaus isn't as good a use for the space and FPs as alternatives to improve GE capabilities. Obv once a player reaches the ability to do 64/64 reliably then Chateaus becomes a desirable but not necessary option.* But that is an opinion based on how I value Diamonds, others will see things differently.

*More on GE vs RQs. I use both. 64.64 in GE, 15+ RQs a day, many more when I'm pumping lots of FPs. If I had to chose only one, I'd choose GE. More diamonds, more interesting buildings, more for the Guild. But if I was Goods hungry? Maybe ';d look ar things differently?

Of course one doesn't have to choose, I believe that a reasonably mature city of almost any Era can support both RQs and GE. But I'd attain GE mastery first. Better treats so to speak.

And again, purely personal opinion.

DeletedUser31440

I’m my HMA City I am at the point in which you are asking for. I complete at least 90 RQs a day from doing Alchemist, Coins, FP spending and the UBQs. 90 RQs/day gives me 32 theoretical hits on the goods reward, netting 416 total goods with a level 10 Chateau. More than what you are seeking of course, and only HMA values, but gives you a place to start maybe?

For a HMA city I have producing goods right now, I'm showing that I'll need to be at a levl 8 Chateau, with 60 alchemists to produce the amount of goods I'm shooting for. That city also has a level 10 SMB and level 11 LoA, which definitely help to drive up the amount of coins and supplies that I will have available. I should be making around 250k supplies/day and around 210k coins/day, if I do UBQ's until my coins and supplies run down by 150k each, that should get me to 70 quests completed per day. I think that's a manageable amount of clicking for a day, to make the 300+ goods I want to make per day in HMA.

DeletedUser29623

I would love to get one, but I’m in CA and the only possible source for blueprints is neighborhood donations, and hardly anyone has one