• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Progress

Algona

Though I am in the middle of my third on beta as I have free diamonds to spend on it making it a whole lot easier.

Unsolicited advice, do with it what you will.

Caveat: I don't do beta, I don't know the 'culture' of beta players so I don't know how important is to Keep Up With The Joneses.

Beta strikes me as the one place you might not want to spend Diamonds just to make anything easier. except of course as part of actual testing. Beta gives you the opportunity to experiment, practice, and develope techniques to figure out most efficient ways to do stuff so that when you tackle it live you are not reliant on or needing Diamonds.

Agent327

Caveat: I don't do beta, I don't know the 'culture' of beta players so I don't know how important is to Keep Up With The Joneses.

Beta strikes me as the one place you might not want to spend Diamonds just to make anything easier. except of course as part of actual testing. Beta gives you the opportunity to experiment, practice, and develope techniques to figure out most efficient ways to do stuff so that when you tackle it live you are not reliant on or needing Diamonds.

You are absolutely right. You don't know beta. Beta is for you to use diamonds to make the game more easy. It is not to experiment, practice, and develope techniques to figure out most efficient ways to do stuff. Thinking that is what it is for is totally ridiculous.

Side note. Players from countries that do not have a live world treat beta as a real world. They group together in Guilds and treat it as a real world. Their own live server. That makes beta totally useless as a test world. Even Inno figured it out, cause they are now selling diamonds on beta.

Algona

You are absolutely right. You don't know beta. Beta is for you to use diamonds to make the game more easy. It is not to experiment, practice, and develope techniques to figure out most efficient ways to do stuff. Thinking that is what it is for is totally ridiculous.

Side note. Players from countries that do not have a live world treat beta as a real world. They group together in Guilds and treat it as a real world. Their own live server. That makes beta totally useless as a test world. Even Inno figured it out, cause they are now selling diamonds on beta.

Fair enough.

-Sebastian-

A few days ago I saw something where someone said that hard fights always have 3 types of units. FWIW, that's not accurate. Right now I have one that's 5 chariots and 2 camels, with a 2nd wave of 2 chariots and 1 camel. (Out of curiosity, I tried auto-battling with 8 elephants. I won, but I lost 1 on the 1st wave and 2 on the 2nd. Unfortunately, all 3 were from the same barracks...)

Also, yesterday I had my first hard fight that had 8 units, and probably relatedly it was also my first hard fight that had only 1 wave. (But it had 3 types of units, just like normal.)

qaccy

The hard fights also seem to more often than not contain chariots and/or camels, possibly indicating that they're 'hard' not just because you're facing more units, but also because the expectation is to have elephants and/or chariots available for use, units that are obtained relatively late in the settlement (very late in the case of elephants).

Super Catanian

A few days ago I saw something where someone said that hard fights always have 3 types of units. FWIW, that's not accurate. Right now I have one that's 5 chariots and 2 camels, with a 2nd wave of 2 chariots and 1 camel. (Out of curiosity, I tried auto-battling with 8 elephants. I won, but I lost 1 on the 1st wave and 2 on the 2nd. Unfortunately, all 3 were from the same barracks...)

Also, yesterday I had my first hard fight that had 8 units, and probably relatedly it was also my first hard fight that had only 1 wave. (But it had 3 types of units, just like normal.)

The hard fights also seem to more often than not contain chariots and/or camels, possibly indicating that they're 'hard' not just because you're facing more units, but also because the expectation is to have elephants and/or chariots available for use, units that are obtained relatively late in the settlement (very late in the case of elephants).
Thanks for the info y'all! I'll review it and add it to my Fighting Strategy in this thread, and hopefull get it added to the CS Guide when finished.

Algona

Grrrr. On that long, logg grind from Flowers to Pillar of Prayer. Rnning five Goods to get there soonest. Needing every bit of loot and I am stil the suckiest suck that eversucked at fighting.

Battling a hard fight, had it won except for one second of not paying attention, I move the Nubian off the bush and lose moments later.

Such a scrub.

Otherwise all is going OK, but that jump from Flowers to Offerings is a long one. Days with no real change to the city, just garnering the 585 Goods, Fighting, and recruiting lots of Troops to replace the inevitable losses.

But maybe I'm approaching it wrong?

I gather all the Goods needed to get to the next Goods producer without getting any intervening techs. Seems like i'd have to tear down the Goods Buildings to build the Diplomacy to get the intervening techs which seems a waste of time... I'd rather get to the point where I can get my next set of Expansions.

But am I wrong on that? Any thoughts?

UBERhelp1

I gather all the Goods needed to get to the next Goods producer without getting any intervening techs. Seems like i'd have to tear down the Goods Buildings to build the Diplomacy to get the intervening techs which seems a waste of time... I'd rather get to the point where I can get my next set of Expansions.

But am I wrong on that? Any thoughts?
For me, I skip over the techs that are just diplomacy. But if I get a military building or housing... those are generally worthwhile in my opinion.

-Sebastian-

For me, I skip over the techs that are just diplomacy. But if I get a military building or housing... those are generally worthwhile in my opinion.

Same here. And I use a 4-4-4-8 goods cycle, which gives me a few spare hours of "slop time". So it doesn't actually hurt my town to knock down all the goods buildings, and replace them with 1-minute or 1-hour diplomacy buildings, and then go back after I do the research. As long as I only do it once a day, anyway.

But @Algona, I think you mentioned that you do that, too?

Last edited:

Algona

Same here. And I use a 4-4-4-8 goods cycle, which gives me a few spare hours of "slop time". So it doesn't actually hurt my town to knock down all the goods buildings, and replace them with 1-minute or 1-hour diplomacy buildings, and then go back after I do the research. As long as I only do it once a day, anyway.

But @Algona, I think you mentioned that you do that, too?

Yup.

Super Catanian

I built all 5 Military Buildings, and all 5 slots were unlocked. So I used whatever was good against the enemy.

Unfortunately, I already started a Viking Settlement, so I'll have to wait a bit if I want to start with the Egyptians again. When I do, I'll update my Siege Camp Fighting Strategy to have it ready for you guys.

-Sebastian-

Only archers, for the most part, and then I like to have some elephants once they are unlocked.

For my 1st town, I built 1 barracks of each type. But 5 archers wasn't enough. My chariots always died quickly, and took forever to replace. And the elephants were great, but also took too long to replace.

In my 2nd town, I built 1 khopesh barracks, 2 archer barracks, and now 2 elephant barracks. For easy and medium fights, I mostly use archers, with occasional elephants. For hard fights, I mostly use elephants, with occasional archers. I barely ever use my khopesh fighters. Rarely, I'll use my remaining unattached camels. I don't miss chariots.

This game doesn't decrease damage with range, so a good generic strategy is to find the longest-ranged unit (archers), stay just outside your enemy's range, and kill them from afar, retreating whenever they advance. Watch out for camels, though - they can retaliate against archers even when the archers are hiding in bushes.

DeletedUser4441

I recently discovered that if a Khopesh Fighter fights another Khopesh Fighter, they will boost each other because of the Swarm ability. Weird, but cool...

Oh heeck yeah, I use them in packs of 3-6 and keep them together as they advance. The 30% stacks. (read the unit description) LEarning (or re-learning the manual fighting skill is key here.

That all being said Egyptians is a mega grind of Korean proportions :p

Super Catanian

Oh heeck yeah, I use them in packs of 3-6 and keep them together as they advance. The 30% stacks. (read the unit description) LEarning (or re-learning the manual fighting skill is key here.
According to another post, that is supposed to be a bug. In fact, I'm not even sure it still works anymore.

That all being said Egyptians is a mega grind of Korean proportions :p
I think I missed the joke LOL

Vger

Battling a hard fight, had it won except for one second of not paying attention, I move the Nubian off the bush and lose moments later.

Such a scrub.
I'm on my second run thru. First went so well I think I got a bit cocky building production buildings this time. Ran out of loot, of course. Really wanted to run some 8's overnight, so tried the hard battle. I didn't have the right troops to do that, and I knew it. And it didn't take long to see I had no chance of taking on the second wave, so I did the only sensible thing....
Except I made that classic newbie mistake that I learned ages ago not to ever make again: clicking the swords instead of the white flag.

So today was mostly spent recruiting troops rather than producing goods.

Back on track now though. More than enough extra time to make a few stupid mistakes along the way.

It is a fun settlement. Seems hard at first, but it's not. Sort of tied with Japan in my mind right now. Way better than Vikings.
Well done Inno.

DeletedUser31499

I’m doing a lot better with my 2nd Egyptian Settlement. With 15 days left I have just 2 buildings left to unlock. Still I had to go and make a mistake. Doesn’t look like it will hurt me. Last night deleting all the trees I had to put down to unlock a building I go and delete my Nubian archer range with all 5 archers in it. Just another thing to watch out for. I’m doing s good job fighting. I have 1 of each of the 5 military building built and with each fight I do my best to matchup strength vs weakness.