• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Progress

qaccy

Managed to finish in gold time thanks to finally getting lucky with some x4 loot bonuses and a few on goods as well. However, someone will have to remind me to make sure I save 1200 loot for the final quest BEFORE I sell off all my barracks...

Algona

Day 2 and that 600 Deben from the Embassy is nice, gotta factor that in. Managed to win my first two easy and medium fights, got the first two barracks (Khopesh and Nubians) fully staffed, about to drop my Pottery Expansions. Seems to be a little smoother then the first time out and...

What do I do with those new Expansions? Hmmm. Get Multistory then figure it out.

Super Catanian

Siege Camp Fighting Strategy (WIP)

After solving the third Quest, you now have unlocked the Siege Camp. Similar to The Merchant from the Feudal Japan Settlement, you get 3 encounters every 24 hours, starting from the time that you unlocked the Siege Camp in that Settlement. The difference is that you have to fight instead of negotiating. As a plus, you get 5 each of Khopesh Fighters and Mounted Camel Archers for solving that Quest. They're unattached Units, meaning if they die in battle, you cannot get them back unless you spend Diamonds to resurrect them as soon as the battle is over. You should never spend Diamonds in Cultural Settlements, as they can be done without them while still finishing in first place.

For this strategy to work effectively, you'll need a diverse army. The Basic Layout 1, when combined with this strategy, will allow you to have Nubian Archers, Mounted Camel Archers, and a lot of Khopesh Fighters. It is important to keep your army strong, diverse, and to keep training Units.

The Easy army in the Siege Camp consists of 5 Units, 2 of one type and 3 of another. It can usually be defeated with just a single type of Unit.

-----

I'm just putting this here for now. When I start the next one, I'll expand on this to make it more complete and eventually have it added to the Guide. If you have information regarding this fighting strategy, feel free to post it!

Super Catanian

From the Feedback Thread...

Just by the way, I completed mine a while ago, using all the Pickaxes I got. I was able to fit 3 Luxury Estates, 1 Residential Block to provide all the needed Egyptians for the other Buildings. Said Buildings include every single Military, Diplomacy and Cultural Goods Building available. That's right. Five unique Military Buildings, four unique Cultural Goods Buildings, and one each of the Deben producing Diplomacy Buildings (Pyramid, Procession, Water Garden, and Divine Statue). All gaps were filled with the other Diplomacy Buildings, including 2 Oases, several Potted Plants, Palm Gardens, and Decorated Palms. In fact, I hardly got the bonus for my Goods. Picture coming soon.

Also, just as a challenge to myself, since I followed UBER's Basic Layout 1, which involved moving the thicc Embassy two tiles to the west, I did not move the Embassy anymore after that.

qaccy

Here's a question for you guys: Are any of you finding yourself running out of Deben in the Egyptian settlement? For the latter half of my first run and now pretty much all of my second, I haven't been using anything other than residences to produce it and I haven't even come close to running out. Has anyone else been observing this as they've been playing through or have you actually found yourself scrambling to get more at any point?

qaccy

Yeah, I don't think training troops alone is enough of a cost for Deben to make it a resource that has to be kept track of. I guess maybe they balanced the settlement around the expectation that troops would be frequently trained and unlocked throughout, which would make it more fair to novices who aren't as great at battling (or who get 'bad' matchups every day and take heavy losses).

Super Catanian

Yeah, I don't think training troops alone is enough of a cost for Deben to make it a resource that has to be kept track of. I guess maybe they balanced the settlement around the expectation that troops would be frequently trained and unlocked throughout, which would make it more fair to novices who aren't as great at battling (or who get 'bad' matchups every day and take heavy losses).
The thing is that the Units take so long to train that even if I had to retrain all my army (5 Military Buildings, 25 Units), I would make more than enough Deben during that time to cover their cost.

Algona

I'm working towards Elephant Stables on iteration 2. I gave up the Statues a lot earlier and am depending solely on Housing and the Enbassy for Coins. No problem whatsoever, nor do I anticipate any.

I'm fighting a lot, losing a lot of troops, trying to learn how to win. I've quit trying to conserve roads.

I'm still running positive on Debens. Experimenting with disconnected housing to gain more room is on the list, but it won;t matter much to me

The Loot > Goods bottleneck is gonna wind up being the critical aspect of Egypt for me.

-Sebastian-

Here's a question for you guys: Are any of you finding yourself running out of Deben in the Egyptian settlement? For the latter half of my first run and now pretty much all of my second, I haven't been using anything other than residences to produce it and I haven't even come close to running out. Has anyone else been observing this as they've been playing through or have you actually found yourself scrambling to get more at any point?

No Deben problems here. In my 2nd run-through, I'm keeping one Divine Statue around for timing building constructions, and recently I built a Water Garden just because I had population and nothing else I wanted to put in its place, but other than that I don't actively try for Deben. I've been keeping all my housing connected, and I've got about 18k now, with 5 full barracks, and I should be able to unlock the Procession tomorrow morning.

I usually don't lose too many units when fighting, though, so maybe the settlement is calibrated toward people who aren't as good at manual fighting? (I'd say I'm pretty good, but not great.) Or maybe @Algona is onto something, by using disconnected housing... Maybe if I saved space (and Deben for roads) by not connecting my housing, that might let me advance faster? I *have* felt a bit of Deben pressure right at the beginning of the settlement, when putting up my first barracks, but after a few days, I don't seem to have to worry about it ever again.

WinnerGR

No Deben problems here. In my 2nd run-through, I'm keeping one Divine Statue around for timing building constructions, and recently I built a Water Garden just because I had population and nothing else I wanted to put in its place, but other than that I don't actively try for Deben. I've been keeping all my housing connected, and I've got about 18k now, with 5 full barracks, and I should be able to unlock the Procession tomorrow morning.

I usually don't lose too many units when fighting, though, so maybe the settlement is calibrated toward people who aren't as good at manual fighting? (I'd say I'm pretty good, but not great.) Or maybe @Algona is onto something, by using disconnected housing... Maybe if I saved space (and Deben for roads) by not connecting my housing, that might let me advance faster? I *have* felt a bit of Deben pressure right at the beginning of the settlement, when putting up my first barracks, but after a few days, I don't seem to have to worry about it ever again.
Do you complete it in the time limit though ? because it is normally advisable to disconnect houses in between the early and middle stage of the settlement.

If you can really do it in the time limit and get a gold chest with connected population buildings then please write a guide for us.

-Sebastian-

Do you complete it in the time limit though ? because it is normally advisable to disconnect houses in between the early and middle stage of the settlement.

If you can really do it in the time limit and get a gold chest with connected population buildings then please write a guide for us.

Well, so far (1.5 settlements), for the Egyptians, yes. I connect as much of my housing as I can, but sometimes not all of them. Same with the other settlements. I don't like the little "disconnected" symbol, so I try not to have it. My towns might not be quite as efficient as they'd otherwise be, but they've been good enough to beat the time limits in Vikings and Feudal Japan, and get gold chests every time.

I don't think there's anything useful I can say in a guide that hasn't already been said. It's like one of those puzzles where you try to fit oddly-shaped pieces into a frame, and I've always been pretty good at those. *shrug* Play around with it, rearrange some, try to reduce your roads and empty spots. Sometimes it takes me a few tries before I can squeeze in that last building. And sometimes I can't seem to manage it, and I give up and try again after I unlock some new buildings or expansions.

In my farm world, I have a Feudal Japan settlement going, and I've got this 3x3 space I can't seem to do anything with, aside from stick a 2x2 hut in there. To put any other building, I'd need to also put a population building to support it. The hut gives me enough population for another Shinto shrine, but I can't quite seem to squeeze out enough space for it. Maybe I could, by disconnecting all my housing, but I'm going to wait until I unlock my next tech or my next expansion, instead. I'll probably finish with 2-3 extra days, this time around, depending on how lucky I get with x4s and with the Merchant.

Last edited:

qaccy

@WinnerGR I don't think a 'guide' is needed. Egypt just seems to be set up differently where Deben is nowhere near as important as Copper or Koban are in Vikings and Japan respectively. In those settlements, houses are usually disconnected because it's necessary to make space for the buildings that produce larger amounts of coins. In Egypt that seems to not be the case, as goods are produced with Loot, which comes from a 'building' that takes up no space in the settlement at all.

Essentially, it just looks like beyond the initial stages, Deben isn't really something that you have to worry about so buildings that produce it can be largely ignored except for when they're needed for quests. Units simply aren't trained fast enough to need very much of it, especially since you can only win 3 battles per day at most.

Super Catanian

Finished Settlement. No disconnected Buildings, ever. No Military Buildings were sold. And the x4 bonus on my Goods were rare, as noted by the amount of Loot I have. And I missed a few productions, seeing as I overslept and forgot to collect at some points.

WinnerGR

@qaccy and @Super Catanian

I think you both have more expertise this area of the game so I will believe you.

Because of my progress with other settlements I will not being doing any Egypt on US .

Though I am in the middle of my third on beta as I have free diamonds to spend on it making it a whole lot easier.