• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Progress

Super Catanian

I decided to use the archers only strategy, but find it impossible to beat the camel-chariot army and as I haven't got the chance of x4 on loot I can hardly maintain 4 goods buildings with lots of free space and unemployed population.
Time is still not an issue, but that is an awful waste of space.
If you've still got a lot of free space with available Egyptians available, try building another Military Building that will be helful in defeating the difficult armies. They don't have to be more Nubian Archers...

-Sebastian-

I gave up on archer-only for the rest of this settlement, and put down 2 elephant barracks and a 3rd archer barracks. I figure, what else am I going to do with all this space? ;-)

qaccy

I'd use elephants if they were actually usable. They're good, but someone at Inno lost their mind shortly before they set the training time to 8 hours for those things. With how often the game seems to put chariots and camels into the hard battle, I'm thinking that elephants may actually be intended to be a bit of a trump card for the slower/less experienced players, who will have plenty of fights ahead of them to use elephants in, even with the 8-hour training time. But for someone experienced and moving quickly, it seems like it'd just be a waste of time to sit around waiting for elephants to train when the fights can already be cleared with the units available from the start. I'm pretty much locked in on only ever using Nubians from now on, so outside of those 2 barracks the rest of my settlement space will always be going towards however many goods buildings I can manage to squeeze in. That or diplomacy for whatever unlock is coming along.

-Sebastian-

I'd use elephants if they were actually usable. They're good, but someone at Inno lost their mind shortly before they set the training time to 8 hours for those things. With how often the game seems to put chariots and camels into the hard battle, I'm thinking that elephants may actually be intended to be a bit of a trump card for the slower/less experienced players, who will have plenty of fights ahead of them to use elephants in, even with the 8-hour training time. But for someone experienced and moving quickly, it seems like it'd just be a waste of time to sit around waiting for elephants to train when the fights can already be cleared with the units available from the start. I'm pretty much locked in on only ever using Nubians from now on, so outside of those 2 barracks the rest of my settlement space will always be going towards however many goods buildings I can manage to squeeze in. That or diplomacy for whatever unlock is coming along.

I got the same combo for the hard battle, third time in a row. :-( But this time I had 2 elephants ready! :) And with a x4, I'm done with fighting in this iteration.

I agree that the training time is ridiculous, and I'm not going to use them most of the time. But in this iteration, I ran out of loot because I couldn't handle the hard battle with only archers, for 2 days in a row. Since my city didn't have any deben buildings or diplomacy buildings, and I only had 2 goods buildings running, I figured I might as well use the extra space for *something*. And it's not like I was going to do anything useful with my deben. So I built the elephant buildings before I went to sleep, started recruitment when I woke up, and by the time the hard battle came around again, I had 2 elephants ready to go.

Now chariots... Those things have all the downsides of the elephants, but aren't even as good as camels.

Super Catanian

Now chariots... Those things have all the downsides of the elephants, but aren't even as good as camels.
I somewhat disagree. I used the War Chariots (really, all the Units) because of their high travel distance, have the highest initiative, meaning I can attack almost right away during my next turn, and they at least have a range.

Their Close Quarters ability could be changed, since they are too weak for that to be useful against a Unit that hasn't already been damaged by any of the other archer Units. Perhaps something similar to Blast, which gives them extra attack for each tile closer to the enemy, and ignoring Stealth (would make them more useful than they already are against Nubian Archers).

I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but have any of you observed smaller loot from medium difficulty compared to easy fight? I am into my 1st settlement, and for last 2 days in row, I have had lesser loot in medium difficulty fights. Doesn't bother me, but want to know if anyone knows what drives it? Could it be a factor of type of troop?

Algona

have any of you observed smaller loot from medium difficulty compared to easy fight?

Yes.

if anyone knows what drives it? Could it be a factor of type of troop?

I am not sure, but it seems the Loot is related to the 'strength' of the Army.

But i haven't tracked it, I couldn't even tell you it identical Armies have the same Loot day to day..

I'd say it's a job for UBER.

By which I mean he should assign SC to figure it out. :D

Super Catanian

There was once an instance in where a Hard fight would payout less Loot than the Medium one. Looking at their armies made me realize why. It appears that the difficulty of each army is, for the most part, determined by the amount of Units there are. The actual types of enemy Units seems to not have that much of an influence.

Anyways, I did the Hard fight, and won while taking few casualties. I dismissed the Medium fight because their Units could easily counter mine.

It appears that the difficulty of each army is, for the most part, determined by the amount of Units there are. The actual types of enemy Units seems to not have that much of an influence.
I recall from my experience that both the times medium must have had +1 units on easy. I hit fight way too fast to remember what the combination was, but that makes me think it can't be # of units.

There was once an instance in where a Hard fight would payout less Loot than the Medium one.
I was looking up unofficial wiki and it identified the range of loot for hard fight to be always above the max of medium. That said, since they are players generated I wouldn't say it's the only truth. I am only 4 or 5 days into it, and all the times hard fights were 2 waves with more loots.
Edit: yesterday's hard fight was 1 wave (8 units, +2 on med) with +100 loot on med

This could be a function, I may have to start recording stats for decent number of days to see if any pattern evolves with # of units or the strength of units.
I am not sure, but it seems the Loot is related to the 'strength' of the Army.

Last edited:

Jern2017

Here's my progress:

Back when Vikings came out, I played through the Settlement once and hated it. I farmed the FP reward from the 5th quest until they moved that reward further up in the questline, then I stopped with CSs altogether.

A couple of days later, I had just deleted a 3x3 building and decided to place the Yggdrasil in that spot. I thought I'd try the Settlement again. I completed it and hated it even more, but noticed I'll get more attack boost and one additional FP if I complete it for the third time. After that, I thought it would be a waste leaving the Yggdrasil at level 3, so I grinded through and today, I finally got the last upgrade. It was the least enjoyable thing I've done in this game, but I can be stubborn. I can now safely say I will never touch this aspect of the game ever again.

The 30% attack boost and 8 FP at 3x3 is incredible, but I'll never go through the excruciating, repetitive process of finishing any Settlement again.

Lothar123

Jern, Vikings is, by far, the worst settlement. It's a tedious, repetitive grind. Japan is significantly better; it's much better balanced, and the merchant mechanic is kind of fun and can really help speed up your progress. I'd say that Egypt is in the middle. It's much longer than it needs to be, but the handful of battles you can do every day are kind of fun, and, unlike Vikings, you're not incentivized to collect coins 3,000 times a day.

Nicholas002

I have found FoEHints' video very helpful with the Viking settlement. By using his strategy, I can complete the settlement 3-4 days within time limits just by logging in 3 times a day. For the majority of this time, you are just collecting and restarting productions. it takes max 5-10 minutes per day. i have found it boring, but the prospect of having Ygg on lvl 9 motivates me to keep going.

Jern2017

Jern, Vikings is, by far, the worst settlement. It's a tedious, repetitive grind. Japan is significantly better; it's much better balanced, and the merchant mechanic is kind of fun and can really help speed up your progress. I'd say that Egypt is in the middle. It's much longer than it needs to be, but the handful of battles you can do every day are kind of fun, and, unlike Vikings, you're not incentivized to collect coins 3,000 times a day.

Thank you, Lothar. I can imagine it is, but it's still too repetitive for my taste. I appreciate the thought, though.

qaccy

I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but have any of you observed smaller loot from medium difficulty compared to easy fight? I am into my 1st settlement, and for last 2 days in row, I have had lesser loot in medium difficulty fights. Doesn't bother me, but want to know if anyone knows what drives it? Could it be a factor of type of troop?

Left battle is 250-350 loot, middle battle is 300-400 loot, right battle is 400-500 loot. Based on these ranges, we can see that the right battle is always going to offer the most loot each day, but it's entirely possible for the middle battle to offer less loot than the left one.

The loot available from each encounter each day is most likely completely random or at least is not determined at all by what you have to fight in order to win it.

-Sebastian-

I just got one of those. Here's the details:

easy - 340 - 3 elephant, 2 chariot
medum - 307 - 2 elephant, 4 chariot
hard - 404 - 4 chariot, 2 archer + 2 chariot, 1 archer

This probably isn't how Inno calculates loot values, but since there's 3 variables and 3 equations (more or less), I might as well have some fun:
3x+2y=340, 2x+4y=307. 2y=340-3x. 2x+2*(340-3x)=307. 2x+680-6x=307. 680-307=6x-2x. 373=4x. x=93.25 y=30.125
404=6y+3z. 3z=404-180.75=223.25 z=74.41666_

1 elephant = 93.25 loot
1 chariot = 30.125 loot
1 archer = 74.41666_ loot

(Does that seem right? Even if the first two are correct, the value for archers makes me think that the valuations for 2-wave battles aren't simply addition. Or maybe the loot values we see are rounded to the nearest whole number.)

Last edited:

generalwoo

Finished my 12th Japan settlement in just under 6 days this morning. That's a record for me!

Settlement #13 isn't off to a good start. I had two large obstacles in my immediate area and couldn't fit a second soybean field. Probably won't be able to unlock the merchant until late tomorrow afternoon.

qaccy

@mangelwurzel When you say 'archer', were they camels or nubians? This is how I prefer to call each of them since they both contain 'archer' in their names.