• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GbG ranking system

Sunslinger

I almost think Inno should adjust the LP's for 3rd place, instead you'd earn -25 LP, that way if your an upper diamond but not quite at the top in a tough season you'd drop to mid diamond. It would shuffle the "algorithm" a little better imo on the next season matchups.

To comment on the unfairness of the way the rankings work, I agree that its not ideal the way it is now. I'm in a guild that is about #5 in my world that hasn't had a chance at 1st place yet due to the matchups after 5 seasons. After some consideration I thought this to be unfair, but unfair is in the eye of the beholder. From a mid diamond guilds perspective if they didn't have an opportunity to drop and rise from mid to high diamond then they'd never get the Level 1 Ch. Bldg. If mid diamonds guilds never got it, but only say the top 3-5 guilds had a shot at it then it would be really unfair over many Championship seasons. Lets say after 1 year the top guild has 4 Level 2 Champions buildings, that's 1600 guild goods per day and an extra +320/320 A+D. The top guilds would absolutely run away with it and leave everyone else way behind in capability. Don't get me wrong they will still be stronger, but they won't run away with it. If a mid diamond guild won 4 Level 1 Champions buildings they'd add +200/200 A+D with 400 guild good/day it narrows the gap, albeit marginally. To me that seems to be Inno's logic, otherwise the mid diamond GBG guilds would pack it in and GBG would only be geared towards the top 3-5 guilds.

Tiger Lily

I don't know what Inno is thinking. Our matchup is against guilds with 75 players, 35 players and 30 players. We have less than 20 players. This is insane, unfair and makes you want to stop playing GBG. Whoever is in charge of matching up guild needs to be demoted. I'm getting tired of all these frags and crap for participation awards.

WillyTwoShoes

I feel the 'greed' involved is an individual thing. Some players are greedy for things, some due to ambition... some want to be the best at whatever they do. If a game ( Or Guild) allows them all to co-exist, then it is doing a good job.
Ahem, is Inno greedy for the diamond increases they passed on to foe players along with the new mechanics?

WillyTwoShoes

Chess and checkers are played internationally by millions and largely without attributable rewards or monetary outlays by the players. Sometimes bragging rights are enough.

Graviton

I dont know, how can it be greed if there are no personal rewards?
You've made it no secret that you feel personally rewarded when your guild beats everybody else. That's "greed": wanting more than you have. You can view it as some kind of altruistic act I suppose, but it's not, it's just a collective "greed" instead of an individual one.

My point is that calling other people "greedy" because they have different goals than you is disingenuous.

Angry.Blanket

You've made it no secret that you feel personally rewarded when your guild beats everybody else. That's "greed": wanting more than you have. You can view it as some kind of altruistic act I suppose, but it's not, it's just a collective "greed" instead of an individual one.

My point is that calling other people "greedy" because they have different goals than you is disingenuous.
It really doesn't work if we try to totally change the definition of greed, By your definition people that breathe are greedy, First who said I feel rewarded when my guild beats everyone else? my guild hardly ever beats everyone else. And Rewarded and enjoyment do not mean the same thing,
The competition is the enjoyment, not winning, not the rewards gained.

Orius Maximus

Last season we won in third going from 900 to 975 LP, and hit 35th in guild rankings. This season we're on a map with the #2 guild in the rankings with 1000 LP and 5 other guilds that are 975 LP and in the 30s. Naturally the #2 is mopping everyone else. It's a bit irritating but I'm not really that pissed about it. The first day or so is most critical in GbG and this season dropped on Thanksgiving so I didn't have time to put things in place. The other guild leaders and I decided to mostly sit this one out and save up the guild goods for next season. And I wasn't going to push the guild members to park on the game during a major holiday.

Still, the higher ranked guilds should be matched against each other where they'll face actual competition. There's no way the #2 belongs against a bunch of 30s. Even if 1-8 were never up against each other, #2 should not have been up against anything lower than 16-22. Either the matchmaking works very poorly as everyone's been saying, or Inno has this deliberately designed so the highest ranking whales are satisfied with easy victories. In the latter case, that's extremely short sighted thinking because while the biggest whales will be happy, it's going to piss off a lot of mid level players, and those players might be important for long term game survival.

WillyTwoShoes

I have mentioned this before and as the championship season is getting down to the wire I thought I might bring it up again as a topic for debate.

a) GE tracks the 1st 2nd 3rd place each running and awards the guilds the appropriate trophy to show off. Why is that aspect of GBG missing?

b) If GBG did track the season placement of your guild in terms of a 1st 2nd 3rd trophy would that have an useful way to fix the rankings mess?

WillyTwoShoes

How about making seasons SHORTER? Everyone I know says in the current iteration it's too long. As for the rankings - it's still not 'settled' as was suggested. Guilds with no place in the top 10 are there.
Or the rest periods between them longer!
But that would probably upset the Inno/foe diamond farming schedule and we can't have that because we all want them to stay in the business of making money.

Disgruntled Veteran

Or the rest periods between them longer!
But that would probably upset the Inno/foe diamond farming schedule and we can't have that because we all want them to stay in the business of making money.

Maybe playing games in general is not for you. You must understand that this is an entire industry. People are employed to make these games. The constant maintenance and additional content cost resources such as time and money. If it weren't for the player's that are willing to spend money you wouldn't have any games to play. Developers would drop a game in an instant if it wasn't profitable. The only reason you're pissed about inno's money grabs is because you want what they're offering, but don't want to pay. Get over it and grind through to earn it.

P2P is cheating yourself anyways...

Last season we won in third going from 900 to 975 LP, and hit 35th in guild rankings. This season we're on a map with the #2 guild in the rankings with 1000 LP and 5 other guilds that are 975 LP and in the 30s. Naturally the #2 is mopping everyone else. It's a bit irritating but I'm not really that pissed about it. The first day or so is most critical in GbG and this season dropped on Thanksgiving so I didn't have time to put things in place. The other guild leaders and I decided to mostly sit this one out and save up the guild goods for next season. And I wasn't going to push the guild members to park on the game during a major holiday.

Still, the higher ranked guilds should be matched against each other where they'll face actual competition. There's no way the #2 belongs against a bunch of 30s. Even if 1-8 were never up against each other, #2 should not have been up against anything lower than 16-22. Either the matchmaking works very poorly as everyone's been saying, or Inno has this deliberately designed so the highest ranking whales are satisfied with easy victories. In the latter case, that's extremely short sighted thinking because while the biggest whales will be happy, it's going to piss off a lot of mid level players, and those players might be important for long term game survival.
Your thinking is misguided. Having all the top guilds on one map is like having all the top tennis players in one half of the bracket in a tournament. It ensures that some lame player will reach the finals. That’s not how competitions are done.
If all the top guilds are one one map, there are several maps with weak guilds where several weak guilds will get a win and be r

Still, the higher ranked guilds should be matched against each other where they'll face actual competition. There's no way the #2 belongs against a bunch of 30s. Even if 1-8 were never up against each other, #2 should not have been up against anything lower than 16-22. Either the matchmaking works very poorly as everyone's been saying, or Inno has this deliberately designed so the highest ranking whales are satisfied with easy victories. In the latter case, that's extremely short sighted thinking because while the biggest whales will be happy, it's going to piss off a lot of mid level players, and those players might be important for long term game survival
Your thinking that all the top guilds should be one one map is totally wrong. Would you put all the top tennis players in the top bracket of a tournamento

Ive spent 3 hours trying to write that reply and it only posted the first line. I’m done with forums and am writing a ticket. Heck, no one in charge ever replies anyway

PJS299

Ive spent 3 hours trying to write that reply and it only posted the first line. I’m done with forums and am writing a ticket. Heck, no one in charge ever replies anyway
After a whole hour! :p

Yeah, the forums can be a bit finicky. What happened, I'm sure somebody here can help.

jaymoney23456

Your thinking is misguided. Having all the top guilds on one map is like having all the top tennis players in one half of the bracket in a tournament. It ensures that some lame player will reach the finals. That’s not how competitions are done.
If all the top guilds are one one map, there are several maps with weak guilds where several weak guilds will get a win and be r

Your thinking that all the top guilds should be one one map is totally wrong. Would you put all the top tennis players in the top bracket of a tournamento
Yes, putting all the top guilds on a map would give easy wins to a bunch of diamond guilds and the guild that won on the map with the top guilds wouldn't neccessarily even be the actual strongest guild anyway

Orius Maximus

You guys are right. Give easy wins to the whale guilds instead. Top players in most online games usually prefer playing against weak players rather than actually earning victories themselves. When someone with actual skill comes along and beats them, they show how good they are by crying like babies. Also it helps to spread the pain, so that when DL guilds get knocked down to PL and then knock those guilds down to GL, there'll be a lot of angry and frustrated players in the lower guilds who decide not to spend money on the game or outright quit.

coolmite

You guys are right. Give easy wins to the whale guilds instead. Top players in most online games usually prefer playing against weak players rather than actually earning victories themselves. When someone with actual skill comes along and beats them, they show how good they are by crying like babies. Also it helps to spread the pain, so that when DL guilds get knocked down to PL and then knock those guilds down to GL, there'll be a lot of angry and frustrated players in the lower guilds who decide not to spend money on the game or outright quit.
I get your point, but on the flip side - in my world there has been twice this championship season where the #1 and #2 where on the same map. #1 won both times. That meant in season 4, the 2nd best guild had one victory and were lower in the rankings than several of the yo-yo guilds. I don't see any real valid argument where a guild that picks up a victory in the <=975 VP leagues, then moves up to the 1000LP league where they are not competitive, then moves down and picks up a 2nd victory in the <=975 league is considered higher ranked.

My particular guild is ranked #23. We have 5 2nd place finishes in the 1000LP groupings. (three times against the 3 guild and twice against #2). Guilds 7-22 in the rankings all have victories from groupings lower than 1000LP. We will likely not earn a Tower of Champions. Like I said in the first post. The current system will sort of work for the top 3/4 guilds (our top 4 are correct, just in the wrong order). After that, the system is designed to reward mediocrity.

Pericles the Lion

The current system will sort of work for the top 3/4 guilds (our top 4 are correct, just in the wrong order). After that, the system is designed to reward mediocrity.
The system is not rewarding mediocrity. There is only one winner in a Championship season. To the victor belong the spoils, everybody else gets nada. On the five worlds that I play the current occupier of the #1 spot is the dominant GBG guild on the world. There is one GBG season left but it won't change the outcome of these 5 championships. The final rankings of all other guilds on the world will be erased and reset when the next Championship season begins. Except for the winner, nobody will long remember where they ended the season.