• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GbG ranking system

coolmite

The system is not rewarding mediocrity. There is only one winner in a Championship season. To the victor belong the spoils, everybody else gets nada. On the five worlds that I play the current occupier of the #1 spot is the dominant GBG guild on the world. There is one GBG season left but it won't change the outcome of these 5 championships. The final rankings of all other guilds on the world will be erased and reset when the next Championship season begins. Except for the winner, nobody will long remember where they ended the season.
They certainly are rewarding mediocrity - the Tower of Champions is a reward - coming in 2nd place in the 1000LP group 6 times in a row does not win it. But when when you yo-yo you do win it. I'd say the yo-yo guilds are almost the definition of mediocre. Also, personally, I consider 'rankings' a reward. Nobody wants to join the 23rd ranked guild - even if they would beat most of the guilds ahead of them.

The word "ranking" in "Global Ranking" has a meaning - it isn't just used for the number one spot - it should strive to appropriately order the guilds relative to one another.

Pericles the Lion

They certainly are rewarding mediocrity - the Tower of Champions is a reward - coming in 2nd place in the 1000LP group 6 times in a row does not win it. But when when you yo-yo you do win it. I'd say the yo-yo guilds are almost the definition of mediocre. Also, personally, I consider 'rankings' a reward. Nobody wants to join the 23rd ranked guild - even if they would beat most of the guilds ahead of them.
How does a "yo-yo" guild get the TOC? This hypothetical guild loses in D1000 (gets no frags), drops to under D1000 where they win (gets no frags), rises to D1000 where they lose again (still getting no frags), rinse and repeat. They get no frags, ever, unless they win in D1000. Your guild comes in 2nd in D1000 six times and collected 6000 frags. The TOC will very likely reappear at which time you can complete it.

Edit: Correction. #1-#3 positions in all Diamond leagues get frags of the TOC, not just D1000. Theoretically, it is possible for yo-yo guilds to get the L1 TOC but they would have to win each time they are in mid-Diamond and then end up in #5 or #6 when they lose in D1000.

The word "ranking" in "Global Ranking" has a meaning - it isn't just used for the number one spot - it should strive to appropriately order the guilds relative to one another.
Afaik, the "Global Ranking" will disappear when GvG is removed from the live servers.

Last edited:

coolmite

How does a "yo-yo" guild get the TOC? This hypothetical guild loses in D1000 (gets no frags), drops to under D1000 where they win (gets no frags), rises to D1000 where they lose again (still getting no frags), rinse and repeat. They get no frags, ever, unless they win in D1000. Your guild comes in 2nd in D1000 six times and collected 6000 frags. The TOC will very likely reappear at which time you can complete it.

Afaik, the "Global Ranking" will disappear when GvG is removed from the live servers.
You don't need to be D1000 to get frags.

You think the current default ranking screen is going away? The GBG ranking will be *the* ranking once GVG goes away.

Finally, it is just a big morale hit to be ranked outside the top 20 when you have beaten half of the teams ranked ahead of you head to head. A team that cannot sustain D1000 should not be a top 10 guild. Our guild busts their butts. 150K fights/season. 6th most VP. We spend very few diamonds on rushing camps because we time things to not need to rush. That costs us a lot of VP since you can buy hours with diamonds. (the current #2 guild builds and dimes everything - does that make them better - or just more willing to spend cash?) No matter what, there are probably only 5-ish guilds in our world that we would not beat head to head. The rankings should reflect time spent in D1000 somehow. Diamond should probably be split into two levels also.

If you only care about #1 being right - this system will get you there. That is about all it does though. Some people don't want to be in the #1 guild though. And it would be nice to get some sort of ranking system that is actually at least partly reflective of reality.

Last edited:

GeniePower

Dragon's Claw.png
Assuming they win their plat league map this upcoming season, they will be #3 in the current championship. They will end on 1000 LP and have 5 wins. Current #1 & #2 have 5 wins, which will be either both 6 or a 6 and a 5 when they match together, but then whoever loses that matchup will rank higher on VP. Current #3 has 3 wins. Only one other guild has 4 wins, but they're not even close to reaching diamond.

coolmite

View attachment 21064
Assuming they win their plat league map this upcoming season, they will be #3 in the current championship. They will end on 1000 LP and have 5 wins. Current #1 & #2 have 5 wins, which will be either both 6 or a 6 and a 5 when they match together, but then whoever loses that matchup will rank higher on VP. Current #3 has 3 wins. Only one other guild has 4 wins, but they're not even close to reaching diamond.
This does highlight the problem. However, I *think* their victories will reset after the season. They'll be in 1000LP, but I don't think that 850K VP will take them very far. In my world, that would rank them about 22nd among the 1000 group.

GeniePower

This does highlight the problem. However, I *think* their victories will reset after the season. They'll be in 1000LP, but I don't think that 850K VP will take them very far. In my world, that would rank them about 22nd among the 1000 group.
The way I understand, victories will indeed reset. But still, they end up 3rd in a championship. It's unfair to a whole slew of guilds that fought in diamond all 6 seasons

Ebeondi Asi

A Guild in Platinum does not win any Tower of Champions fragments even if they win first place in Platinum.So they may have the "wins" but not the Championship tower points if they yo-yo'ed

From Beta it is clear all VP go to zero at the end of the six Season championship The only thing that stays is #1 over-all gets to keep they won 1 championship.

coolmite

A Guild in Platinum does not win any Tower of Champions fragments even if they win first place in Platinum.So they may have the "wins" but not the Championship tower points if they yo-yo'ed

From Beta it is clear all VP go to zero at the end of the six Season championship The only thing that stays is #1 over-all gets to keep they won 1 championship.
But 925 & 975 do. Maybe it isn't the same in all worlds, but 975 vs 1000 is a big difference for us.

jaymoney23456

Needs to be a system where VP could for more for a guild at 1k than guilds below that. Also, I think victories should be cumulatively counted and there could be another line that shows victories in the current championship. As a final way to more accurately determine who should actually win fighting on a map with some guilds that are less than 1k diamond when a guild is at 1k diamond should receive some penalty in VP on that map also. Still could end up with one or more guilds getting easier matchups but would still be a significant improvement on how the rankings are calculated now.

jaymoney23456

Right now on B world 5 or so of the top 10 guilds in the ranking have no business being on page one and several of them are not top 20 guilds for sure

coolmite

I still think one of the main underlying problems is that it's too easy to get into Diamond in the first place.
It is too easy to get in and out. The swings are huge when there are only maybe 10-15 guilds that concentrate on GBG. You win at 875LP easily because nobody in that range really tries. You move up to 1000LP where you are lucky to get off the porch. You wind up losing 175 LP and move down to the 825 group where nobody tries and you win again. The cycle is hard to break. Unfortunately, that guild is ranked above the guild that stays at 1000 LP and comes in 2nd or 3rd every week (at least every other season they are ranked above).

Desert Red Dawg

I have been reading some of the chatter above. I think I get the jest of it.
I’m in a newer guild about 1 yr old
We like to compete in GBG. we can easily win 1st in Platinum. Next session we’re at 1000LP and ranked 16 and can’t even get out gate in Diamond.
I Don’t begrudge the top rated guild for their size or how fast they dominate the board.
In the past couple weeks I’ve learned a lot about ranking and trying to figure out how guilds are grouped.
Although there is a lot of talk about the ranking and selection of groups, I could not find anything that actually explained how Diamond guilds are grouped for GBG. How they are ranked, I get; Ranked by LP > victories (acquired during championship period) > total VP earned during championship period.
Then I reached out to Top Diamond guilds in recent GBG and compiled a list of how top ranked guilds were linked together.
I’m currently collecting list from the lower, looking for a pattern of group construction.
Is there some where that already explains how they are grouped. Could save me a lot of time
From the chatter here it sounds like this is common knowledge.

IS THERE SOMEWHERE THAT EXPLAINS GBG GROUP SELECTION.

We just learned that if we back off from 1st in Platinum and take 2nd , we’ll move up to Diamond With 975LP
Probably won’t win 1st in Diamond if we get grouped with the lower 1/2, but we’d have a chance to get some fights in.
GBG before the change was a way to Farm rewards.
I’m just looking for insight on getting our guild in a position to get some in Diamond and not be pinched into the corner

coolmite

I have been reading some of the chatter above. I think I get the jest of it.
I’m in a newer guild about 1 yr old
We like to compete in GBG. we can easily win 1st in Platinum. Next session we’re at 1000LP and ranked 16 and can’t even get out gate in Diamond.
I Don’t begrudge the top rated guild for their size or how fast they dominate the board.
In the past couple weeks I’ve learned a lot about ranking and trying to figure out how guilds are grouped.
Although there is a lot of talk about the ranking and selection of groups, I could not find anything that actually explained how Diamond guilds are grouped for GBG. How they are ranked, I get; Ranked by LP > victories (acquired during championship period) > total VP earned during championship period.
Then I reached out to Top Diamond guilds in recent GBG and compiled a list of how top ranked guilds were linked together.
I’m currently collecting list from the lower, looking for a pattern of group construction.
Is there some where that already explains how they are grouped. Could save me a lot of time
From the chatter here it sounds like this is common knowledge.

IS THERE SOMEWHERE THAT EXPLAINS GBG GROUP SELECTION.

We just learned that if we back off from 1st in Platinum and take 2nd , we’ll move up to Diamond With 975LP
Probably won’t win 1st in Diamond if we get grouped with the lower 1/2, but we’d have a chance to get some fights in.
GBG before the change was a way to Farm rewards.
I’m just looking for insight on getting our guild in a position to get some in Diamond and not be pinched into the corner
It "should" be random among the LP1000 guilds, random among 975, and then 925. There is bleed-over where there aren't groupings of 8. That said, our last 6 seasons did not appear random. We had guilds 2 & 3 all 6 seasons. Sometimes one of them, sometimes both.

WillyTwoShoes

Maybe playing games in general is not for you. You must understand that this is an entire industry. People are employed to make these games. The constant maintenance and additional content cost resources such as time and money. If it weren't for the player's that are willing to spend money you wouldn't have any games to play. Developers would drop a game in an instant if it wasn't profitable. The only reason you're pissed about inno's money grabs is because you want what they're offering, but don't want to pay. Get over it and grind through to earn it.

P2P is cheating yourself anyways...
You couldn't be more wrong on so many things. Instead of getting bogged down in replying to the details of your diatribe I will ask you to go back and read what I suggested and what I was replying to.

All of you who presume to know who I am and what I want...

unless you date back to Chess, Checkers, Poker, Avalon Hill board games, the VIC-20, Tape drives, wooden block Risk, D&D before AD&D, micro armor, 15mm / 25mm Miniatures, pre-Internet Circle / Diku MUDS, yeah Candy Land and Chutes n Ladders too....

.... don't insult your intelligence by assuming you know what I play, why, and how much my budget will support. Read what I said and stop reading into what you heard.

Desert Red Dawg

It "should" be random among the LP1000 guilds, random among 975, and then 925. There is bleed-over where there aren't groupings of 8. That said, our last 6 seasons did not appear random. We had guilds 2 & 3 all 6 seasons. Sometimes one of them, sometimes both.
Thank you Coolmite. Good know. Someone told me they take the top 4 guilds and divide up the 1st 12 to each of them and then the next 12. But my compiled list debunked that theory. Is there a source that actually lays out how they are grouped or what is known about it, just from observation and speculation of what players see?

Desert Red Dawg

I think I answered my own question. There is a lot of info In the #199 previous posts in this thread.
One just has to weed through all the whinning. Not everyone that plays this game even partakes in GBG.
Is GvG even a thing Now. Never played it. I like to rearange the building in my city to give it Order.
I used to love playing Age of Empires Online until the cheaters managed to find ways to actually cheat the game codes.
Killed it. Things evolve. Sometimes they fail and new things show up. Back in the day PinBall was my Game.
Wasn't very good at it.
I'll just weed through the posts above. Probably find what I'm looking for.

Just a side note: I used to be one of the top contributors to a Plumbing Forum several years ago before I started playing this game.
The last time I posted there and shared my knowlege on plumbing was the day before I started playing this game.
Thumbs up to those who spend time here trying to help and explain things as well as playing. I'm gonna go Play