• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder progress

Darth Mole

Ok so I have a plunder question for you all. How far down the hood rankings do you plunder? I am ranked in the top 4 of my colonial age hood each rotation. And I always spare the bottom 15 players or so..depending on their development and ranking. Does anyone else do this? Should I be hitting them top to bottom?
Curious to hear opinions on this.
I always spare the bottom 10 of the hood. Stemmed from being in low age eras and wanting to keep noobs in the game and has just continued. I'm an old softy!

DeletedUser29563

I can see a legit argument for both points of view. I think from maybe HMA down sparing the bottom 10 or so is appropriate. But once you have reached LMA or colonial Age. You should have developed a viable strategy for keeping defenses as well as development at an optimal clip.
On that note...starting tonite..I'm going to run the table...

DeletedUser29295

I always spare the bottom 10 of the hood. Stemmed from being in low age eras and wanting to keep noobs in the game and has just continued. I'm an old softy!

I used to do that, until I reached LMA. After LMA and seeing what I was missing out on because others were taxing them, I decided to do it as well. Like Orius stated: if they are above HMA and still can't figure out a proper defense/city layout/plan, then I will collect for them.

Lancer

I'm the same way. I might only go 15 people behind me. I rarely plunder anymore though, unless I'm in need of a good that isn't currently on the market.

Falconwing

Ok so I have a plunder question for you all. How far down the hood rankings do you plunder? I am ranked in the top 4 of my colonial age hood each rotation. And I always spare the bottom 15 players or so..depending on their development and ranking. Does anyone else do this? Should I be hitting them top to bottom?
Curious to hear opinions on this.
First day of new hood I try and hit everyone cause I don't want to be accused of favoritism. After that, totally depends on the time I have and level of boredom I'm at. I usually hit the top 2/3rds every day. The lower guys (unless one is a honey hole) are usually safe, unless I'm looking to kill time, then they get it too.

DeletedUser32232

After a few shifts I been through I got one conclusion: people who attack you gonna eventually stop if they can't get anything from your city and they gonna aid you instead. It might only fit me or my world , but you can try on yours :)
I wouldn';t count on that. This might work on a couple people who are plundering only because of the romance thing. Like the mystique of the Caribbean pirates and all that. But the serious guys will roll right by this. These are not bad guys. This is a style of play they have chosen to adopt. Like all styles of play they will build their city around it and develop playing habits which support it. They have to plunder. They slow down and they begin to be smothered by the games demands for supplies/goods. This is not an easy life for these guys. They can't really slow down and smell the roses, enjoy all they've achieved. They have to keep moving. If you're in an active neighborhood What you're doing is about as good as you can do. You just need to keep doing it religiously. Make them spend some resources to get yours. A good defense will make them have to heal after they hit you. Timed production collection will make them spend time coming back to you over and over to try to collect (time is a major resource in FOE). Mainly relax and enjoy the head to head competition, enjoy the game. The real battle is not the combat. It's who gets the goodies. Those are not his to take. They're yours to lose.

DeletedUser30900

I wouldn';t count on that. This might work on a couple people who are plundering only because of the romance thing. Like the mystique of the Caribbean pirates and all that. But the serious guys will roll right by this. These are not bad guys. This is a style of play they have chosen to adopt. Like all styles of play they will build their city around it and develop playing habits which support it. They have to plunder. They slow down and they begin to be smothered by the games demands for supplies/goods. This is not an easy life for these guys. They can't really slow down and smell the roses, enjoy all they've achieved. They have to keep moving. If you're in an active neighborhood What you're doing is about as good as you can do. You just need to keep doing it religiously. Make them spend some resources to get yours. A good defense will make them have to heal after they hit you. Timed production collection will make them spend time coming back to you over and over to try to collect (time is a major resource in FOE). Mainly relax and enjoy the head to head competition, enjoy the game. The real battle is not the combat. It's who gets the goodies. Those are not his to take. They're yours to lose.
I think you missed my points.... i was trying to talk people into plundering not against it ;)

DeletedUser32232

I think you missed my points.... i was trying to talk people into plundering not against it ;)
yes I understood that. My post wasn't really about you. I hate to see people be sheep. I wish they would make things harder for you, Darth Mole, Aldayman, etc. I just get to thinking of people who love to be victims and I jumped right up onto my bandbox. I think it's a genetic thing.

DeletedUser29563

Lately on the first day of a new hood...I have been running thru and surrendering to everyone that has a viable defense.
This gives me a chance to jot down their defending A&D boosts along with units. I will do this then wait a couple of days before I return. It seems to give a lot of players a false sense of security to see one of the top 3 players in the hood surrender and not return.
Now..on the 3 day or so I will attack to win...and most of the time that first run is huge. I'm talkin about uncollected mills...T farms..the works.
Then of course its a cat and mouse game after that...
Anyone else try to lull their neighbors into relaxing their defenses like this..or perhaps in another way?

DeletedUser26120

Anyone else try to lull their neighbors into relaxing their defenses like this..or perhaps in another way?
I do something similar but never thought of it having the type of effect you described.

I'm just scouting defenses, defense rates, etc and writing down armies where I'd be likely to lose rogues on so I can either avoid those or use attached rogues.

DeletedUser29563

I do something similar but never thought of it having the type of effect you described.

I'm just scouting defenses, defense rates, etc and writing down armies where I'd be likely to lose rogues on so I can either avoid those or use attached rogues.
Yep..rogue preservation is another aspect of it for me as well....it just seems from my experience...if I play passive the first few days...I usually get one big FP run on my first time thru...it seems most players are really on their toes when the hood shuffles. Today is Monday on the second week of this hood rotation...as of this morning I have plundered 41 fp from this hood...since last Monday. And STILL yet...approx a third of em keep their two spear defenses standing guard. One guy has a Howitzer and a rogue....

DeletedUser31882

I've toyed with that idea, but decided the 'go-in-guns-blazing' approach is my best bet to maximize the quantity of chances to pillage. Waiting three days may give an easy day before they turtle/timer up, but that means I've lost 2-3 chances of catching them with their palace pants down if they have a case of the Mondays drag into Tuesday.

I have had a situation where I 'waited' on a city with a terrace farms. I stalked the city until the 'active' animation disappeared and then attacked/pillaged 5FP. I can see that working in conjunction with your tactic. If you know the target normally runs a tight ship on timers and you have missed pillaging them, you could hold off on breaching the defenses, hope for them to be lulled into a false sense of security as you stalk them and then Alpha Strike 'em. Which makes me think, have I been blind and not noticed a Palace active animation? *runs off to verify*

DeletedUser30312

I've toyed with that idea, but decided the 'go-in-guns-blazing' approach is my best bet to maximize the quantity of chances to pillage. Waiting three days may give an easy day before they turtle/timer up, but that means I've lost 2-3 chances of catching them with their palace pants down if they have a case of the Mondays drag into Tuesday.

Also, you don't know who else in the neighborhood is attacking. Some people on the low end of the list may be getting hit more often than the people higher up, who are nearly always higher risk. Back in the summer, one of the people in my hood posted a hood-wide message asking the other neighbors for tips against plundering. Some of the people in the hood listed who the aggressive plunderers were, and there was at least a half dozen players named, including myself. However, I don't remember any of them making a serious effort to take me on. I generally don't get many people trying to attack me, and a lot of it is retaliation, which I generally let slide.

I managed to successfully attack a guy with a 226% defense this week. More bad news for my neighbors, since I now know I can defeat weaker defenses than that, and I've seen very few people with anything better.

DeletedUser26120

Been plundering ever since I could start, on Z world. It's helped tremendously, both my own personal growth and in the goods I'm able to donate for GE/gvg.

Finally got a couple love letters today - they were relatively mild though so I decided to be nice too.

ThC5V4C.png

DeletedUser26120

Worth noting for people starting to plunder on new worlds: check everyone. Even players as low as 1,600 points can have pvp unlocked - there's one in my hood.

DeletedUser29563

Worth noting for people starting to plunder on new worlds: check everyone. Even players as low as 1,600 points can have pvp unlocked - there's one in my hood.
Lol...thanks for the tip...but good grief...what on earth do they have to plunder?