• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Story of My Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser12778

My Town's Story! I'm William the LionHeart. I founded this City due to my Peoples blitz of Suffering and we bought or fought our way out and now we are Free! I shall begin to build my City into a Massive Empire to dispel anyone on the idea or thinking of Conquering us!
We are Free and will remain FREE!

DeletedUser

One day the sun was shining high in the sky and the wind was blowing with a soft breeze,all of a sudden a man emerged from the woods with a saw and a hammer in his hand. He looked into the clearing and said this was beautiful. So he walked into the clearing and saw a small body of water. The man was beside himself and thought this would be a great place to call home. as he sent word to his family and friends, they all started showing up. As the people flowed to this new location of vast resources the village of San Antonio was born. As the people of the village San Antonio started mating and wanting more they developed bronze workings and learning how to gather resources from the earth and making metals bringing forth the Bronze Age to the village. As the number grew the village slowly changed into a great city. Finally the city has advanced into the iron age and brought the Arts to this ever growing city and enhancing it's ever growing beauty.

My city is a simple community of hard workers trying to advance from one age to another. In doing so i prefer to keep my armies up to date of the period as to not be week to other players. I bring an aggressive attitude to the game encrusted with my urge to always be the best or fight against the best. So my essential philosophy is to play and have fun but play hard. So bring it and we all shall have tons of fun.

DeletedUser

A mystical traveller of time and cyberspace that sits with elders of the general race arrived one day. As a stranger in a strange land he begain to learn, observe, and build. He begain to build a town. That was the day that, "love came to town". He built this and that and found they fit in, "my town", like an economic puzzle. At first it was about maximizing space for maximum resource output and maintaining that fine line of happiness to achieve that robust economy, but later became more about warfare and sense of accomplishment. Many a vister would come and go at, "my town", and not all with good intent. Those with good intent became friends and the bad ones go on their way to maybe return another day.

As time passed many options and avenues increased. Ghostly figures who walk the streets as if in patterned trance disappear into nothingness. Whole worlds opened up with many different towns on many different horizons. And in the midst of the worlds came a light down to town with an offering of great gifts and prizes aplenty. What joy as the heart beats faster as if to much more absorb the experience of winning.....or losing. The greatest of all virtues, "patience", I am taught abundantly in, "my town", as I wait, and wait, and wait. As even more time passed I begain to see an even more esoteric benefit for, "my town".

I saw that the organized glimmer and glint of, "my town", holds the essence of a Zen garden. City art constantly changing as I meditatively view askance a bouncing star like the reflection from a stream. Simultaneous movement of many supply buildings lull me into a trance as my thoughts are silenced and perception adjusts acute. I transcend and illuminate like the rising smoke of the buildings in, "my town".

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

"O YAY, O YAY, O YAY" (accompanied by hand bell rings) "please gather around for Mayor Kingster, in his ancestral town square to listen to a short history before you enjoy our famous hospitality. Mr Mayor the floor is yours".

"Thank you Town Crier. You will notice archeological digs on the banks of the Kingster River which have revealed a settlement that dates back thousands of years to the Stone Age. Artifacts dug up range from beautiful jewellery to quite sophisticated weaponry, given the times and demonstrate that the tribe became traders and warriors.
Records show the town expanded slowly and deliberately as each innovation was discovered. Early drawings show the residential street plan has changed little from the first wattle and daub huts.
Our wonderful architecture shows the towns' people replicated famous buildings from all corners of the world. Tourists enjoy viewing all the wonders in a couple of days. Saves travelling the world.
Visitors also enjoy listening to the towns orchestra which plays daily in the park and is famous for producing a unique sound which reverberates through the centuries. Some critics listening to a haunting piece which incorporates wind, string and percussion along with unusual synthesised sounds of nature have said it is akin to listening to time standing still. It has been noticed that the audience is often lulled into a deep sleep. There is a band that will strike up a rousing battle anthem when needed. However, it is not very popular.
The most famous street in town legend is still called tobacco alley which now leads to the park and reindeer enclosure. Then the air was filled with fumes from the tobacco plantation processing plants with taverns galore. “Kingsters” smoke, drank and gambled their days away. Houses were poker dens of ill repute and fun.
The 1880’s saw a glut of Reform Bills from the church going sector which, once enacted, cleaned up the town.
Today it is an industrious, bustling, historical town with magnificent examples of architecture through the ages and I, Kingster K Kingster, elected defender of the peace, am proud to lead the people to a bright and exciting future."

DeletedUser12663

THE STORY OF MY TOWN- A NEW WORLD IS BORN
I am thetruelegend of jaims. I began my journey in search of a new beginning. A place to where I could begin my own little kingdom. I found a land to build which began with only stone and rock in the beginning of time. It would seem to some as boredom and nothing to adventure. In reality the first man and woman did not have all we have today and they began with nothing and did not have everything to move fast. It is like real history and real life. I began to build my little homes and my little shops and we were small but yet we held on to what we had. We built spearman to learn to fight. We built hunters and potterys. We learned to hunt and cook.
Our kingdom would win the battles against our enemys who tried to attack us. We would build fire towers to make our defenses stronger. We began to learn more technology and make our men and women smarter. We built schools to make our children to have better education. We made theaters and taverns so our people could have excitement in their lives so they would have happiness and joy so our town would prosper and the workers would feel happy as they worked. They would want to go to work and feel well rested and happy for a new day to begin again.
We grew in our ages and we learned the new technologies of prosperity. We would join a great guild. I met the Merchants of War who we learned to stand together and fight together and help to build great buildings in our wonderful world of Jaims. We all were there to help motivate and polish one another. When there was a battle to be won and a seige to take over we all faught together to win and to stand as one and one for all.
We learned to have farms and make corn. We Had Butcherys and were great with meat. Our people never hungered for food. We learned Religion and created a beautiful church which made our city much more to be very happy. We had many battles and we have attacked and been attacked. Our men have bled and have died. We have fallen and made others fall. It only makes us stronger and we learn from our failures. No one can win every battle and we can only get stronger.
I saw my homes grow from age to age. I saw my people advance threwout their time. I watched my town expand and I felt like I was King who created a wonderful new civilization. I went from spearman to great swordsman of late age and now can fight much stronger men. Our city is happy and ready to grow and prosper way on into the future.
Forge of Empires
What a success
It raised up our people
It made us blessed
It was hard at times
We lived and we died
Our people worked hard
They mourned and they cried
From stone age to late age
Sometimes no money to bare
No food or supplies
Just looking in a depressing stare
Waiting for that uplifting gold
A battle to be won
A winning we must hold on too
Never give up threw all the pain
We win beyond death
Even beyond death we gain

DeletedUser

Found on the body of a small soldier in the Northern Snowfields... I was once a great jester, a friend of the king and the bringer of merriment for the land, but its not my history that matters... The history of the City State of Falksgrith was all but unknown to those who dwell outside the small Red Valley in the realm of Jaims. It is said that the great city once began as no more than a few hunters, chasing deer through the valley. It has also been said that the ruler is not human, having survived countless wars and the long expanse of time as his lands have grown throughout the ages. The truth of the matter is that Matticus007, the great leader of the most powerful city in the Red Valley in the world of Jaims, is human, but he has intelligence beyond that of any other. His troops of the bronze age have never faltered in combat. His great warriors train in the night and work in the marble mason throughout the day to build strength. The chief export of Falksgrith is wine, grown from the fertile valley soil, the grapes produce the most potent wine in the realm. It is said that when the kingdom of Falkgrith plans an invasion, they will send massive amounts of wine to the nation they wish to invade through trade pacts then invade whilst their enemies laugh drunkenly as the city burns. Not all of Falksgrith is bloody conquest though, much of what defines the kingdom is its plans for future prosperity. Schools have been erected throughout the land so generations will have knowledge to use for themselves. One day, when the lands have been cleansed, Matticus007 will build great monuments commemorating the peace, which has been achieved and the knowledge that can now be spread, but peace is far off with rival empires all around, it seems the leader's vision of peace can only be seen through the eyes of war. Tomorrow we fight in the Northern Snow, perhaps then we can find peace...

DeletedUser12818

Welcome to Chathair Saorla (aka holiday city)

Locat'd by lovely emerald color'd lakes, Chathair Saorla is home to a diverse group of plebs*. Many cultures blend in this haven of freedom that exists f'r all. In Chathair Saorla freedom is a reality, not a suggestion and as a result, its plebs art most devot'd to their fair and just King who allows them the freedom of speech and the freedom of practicing their own religion without fear of condemnation.

When King Queen was searching f'r land to establish this charming hamlet, the choice was made easy as its location hath a temperate weather system, fertile soil as well as many readily procurable natural resources. Its lovely surrounding lakes tender the opportunity to cast for fish, boat or swim in a serene environment and enjoy the surrounding country side while only a short walk aweg* from the city center. All of these facts art the contributing elements to Chathair Saorla's remarkable success.

Though a small hamlet, many activities abound apart from those around the lakes; also thither* is a wonderful market place whence one can find great produce, the best cheese North of Nowhere as well as all the necessities f'r comfortable living. Thither art many historical monuments to see as our King values the town’s vari'd cultures which help define the distinctiveness of the place. Our King hath a sound understanding of the benefits glean'd from living within multiple cultures. The contribution of so many wide-ranging ideas helps with the evolution and growth of his town; all who live hither* will benefit from its diversity. A favourite attraction is the luxurious public bæth* which gives one the opportunity to relax after all the casting for fish, shopping and walking about to see the town's many cultural monuments erect'd by our grand King. It also serves as the gathering place f'r the town’s plebs to exchange ideas as well as local gossip!

The main attraction in Chathair Saorla is the two triumphal arcs in front of the town hall. Each wast erect'd after our strong and dutiful King conquer'd new territories to the North, thus eliminating the immediate threats that had been disrupting our peaceful way of life f'r decades. Our town hath enjoy'd a peaceful existence ev'r since.

Chathair Saorla hath a healthy economy which is mainly support'd by animal breeding, presently consisting mostly of gāts*. 'Tis also very prūd* of its weaving mills which produce the finest fabrics and, of course, stone masonry which is literally our town’s building blocks. Its biggest strength is the fabulous and rich clothing produc'd by unsurpass'd tailors as well as the preeminent cheveril* shoemakers of the climature*. 'Tis said that our local tailors and shoemakers influence and set fashion trends f'r all the plebs to the North, East and West. They take much pride in their work and tender nothing but quality products. Though Chathair Saorla hath a healthy military compound establish'd to defend its precious hamlet, it still lacks in heavy artillery but advances in military weapons designs art presently being develop'd. Our dear King hath many future projects, one of which enwheels* plans f'r erecting great buildings so thou wilt revisit our little burg by and by to see the coming attractions!

Despite its strengths and weaknesses, Chathair Saorla is certainly head'd towards a prosperous future under the leadership of our greatest King yet, King Queen.

*Old English translations:
Plebs = people
Aweg = away
Tither = there
Hither = here
Bæth = bath
Gāts = goats
Prūd = proud
Cheveril = kid leather
Climature = area
Enwheels = includes

DeletedUser9624

Tyrellin stood at the window of the Penthouse Suite in the newly constructed Chateau Frontenac, the luxurious addition to the fast-growing city of Savaria nestled alongside the Mourning River in the southern reaches of Dunarsund. His mind was filled with memories and stories passed down to him from his father and his father before him. He was proud to have been able to etch his name in the annals of Savaria with great leadership and additions to the family’s heritage. Still, he could not help but feel a tinge of sadness when he recalled the story of Savaria’s beginning.

Many generations ago, his forefather Isador and his wife Savaria, of whom the city was named after, set sail for richer lands along with a couple servants, handmaidens, and their children. The voyage was treacherous to say the least as the vessel was tossed to and fro, until, at last, the crowded ship came to rest upon the banks of Dunarsund. As relieved as they were to finally reach the new land, the damage had been done and Savaria, great with child, had taken the fever and was not long for the world. Isador was beside himself but still managed to work hard to build a hut for shelter and tried desperately to nurse his love back to health. She gave birth two days after landing but did not live to see the third day. Isador felt alone and vowed that this place would grow and never experience the sadness and emptiness he felt at the loss of his soul mate. He buried her in the village and began construction on the first wonder to give Savaria a skyline – Zeus. From these tragic and meager beginnings, the bustling kingdom of Savaria came forth.

The current age Tyrellin now governed saw many improvements to Isador’s work and those that followed his rule after him. The Chateau itself was a remarkable structure that carried rare amenities and was the first of its kind amongst the Fat Spartan kingdoms spread across the land and there was none like it amongst the neighboring tribes nor was there like to be one anytime soon. Poor wretches, he thought to himself as he glared at the opened parchment on the writing table. It was addressed from DentedWolf, a sad, angry neighbor with a tiny kingdom that was poorly ran and even more so poorly defended even though inside the walls there were ample military buildings to offer up a decent defense. Ravens arrived almost daily to the Chateau to deliver the badly misspelled, derogatory name-calling letters; Tyrellin refused to even acknowledge that he received the letters. Many a time has DentedWolf showed up at the gates with a mismatched and wounded army only to retreat before even throwing the first stone or loosing the first bolt. Tyrellin supposed there was nothing he could do to stop it, so he stepped up the attacks with ferocity and took a penance from the kingdom of Fort McFadden (a rare deed) often leaving the citizens there crying for relief and begging for the opportunity to enter into Savaria’s city walls – a wish that even three Wishing Wells would never grant.

Other additions include Frauenkirche of Dresden and the Royal Albert Hall. Combined with the legendary Lighthouse, supplies roll out of Savaria at a fever-pace. A total of 13 Great Buildings dominate the skyline of Savaria ranging from the primary military additions of Castel del Monte, Cathedral of Aachen, and the aforementioned Zeus to defense structures such as Deal Castle and the beautiful St. Basil’s Cathedral. There remain three complete sets of blueprints passed down from generation to generation that have not been erected and most likely never will be due to the many advances made in Savaria and the simple lack of profitability and need. Tyrellin is constantly scouring his allies and some neighbors, digging through their relics and libraries, helping in their cities all in a concerted effort to gain more blueprints to construct even more wonders. None of these Great Buildings are more important to the current militaristic success of Savaria as the ever-popular Alcatraz.

Sprawling on the eastern edge of the bustling city is the structure once used as a penal facility. Long since has the crime rate been obliterated under the rule of Tyrellin’s family, now, the citizens are always enthusiastic with no need to be pushed or prodded to produce more – they do it happily, without complaint. The structure now serves as the military training grounds for Savaria. Inside, General Grivus pushes the Rogues to their utmost potential before unleashing them onto the neighbors for actual combat training and, in some cases such as DentedWolf, military dominance.

There were many in the area, including allied kingdoms, that thought Tyrellin had went soft and had abandoned the ways of his predecessors when he eliminated every single military structure throughout the kingdom, save the rogue hideouts. In their places, he ordered the construction of numerous goods producers to support his allies and a select few neighboring tribes. There is a kindness to Tyrellin, almost to a fault. Many times have other leaders questioned his decision to not take a tax from his neighbors. He always responded the same – “my city loves me, as well as most of my neighbors.” Almost daily, donations to the city’s wonders are made unbidden and never demanded. For those donations, he remains ever thankful.

His kindness to select neighbors is one thing, but the extent of his friendship and helpfulness to his allies near and far is exemplary! He takes time each day to personally visit the allies within the Fat Spartan Kingdoms as well as visit other allies of other kingdoms at least every other day (depending upon his personal duties in his own city and home). He contributes to their Great Building developments and is often seen “streaking” through their cities naked as the day he was born. This act is met with cheers (some jeers), but nonetheless, the desired effect is to motivate their cities much the same way he does his own. His name is commonplace and the streaking is expected, appreciated, and even missed on those rare occasions when he cannot tear himself away from his other duties.

Through with his reminiscing of the past and thoughts of the present, Tyrellin gathers up a stack of parchment addressed to friends and neighbors, tucks them under his arm and personally carries them to the rookery in order to ensure they are sent out speedily. With that, he bursts from his clothing in a flash and streaks off into the sunset on his way to a city near you!

DeletedUser9837

The History of Charlamdopolis, The Most Perfect City in all of Cirgard

I am Charlamdicus, ruler of my magnificent city. Most who visit are awed by the splendor and perfection of my urban planning. Many are delighted, many are jealous, but most are simply overjoyed to see a city of such great beauty. Let me tell you how it came to be.

My lineage is uncontested; I am the 82nd ruler to bear this name. Yes, the roots of my kingdom can be traced back this far. Our history says that it all started with a hut and a dream. Recent excavations have supported this aphorism. As work began on the foundation of the Frauenkirche, a magnificent Colonial edifice that stands as the centerpiece to my city, archeologists found remnants of stilt houses, shards of pottery, and spear tips dating back to the bronze age. Evidence of a great town hall was also discovered. Indeed, some or our most prominent scholars found evidence of huts and tools that may go back to the stone age. So our history is such that we can confidently say that we have evolved over thousands of years. And our roots are deeply planted in this rich and fertile soil.

While our success is certainly a product of the genius and the enterprising nature of our people, it may also be said that our location by the sea has helped us to grow and prosper. Even now we are a seafaring town, as evidenced by our noble sailmakers, who provide the entire realm with the finest of products. For generations we have traded with other civilizations, and we have taken from them art and culture. This is best reflected in the architecture of our magnificent Great Buildings. To gaze upon our city is to see the influence of some of the finest architectural achievements known to mankind.

Now, I know what you are all thinking. How did my city become so fantastically beautiful? What can account for its grace, its symmetry, and its overwhelming Colonial charm? The answer -- and I say this with humility -- is me. I had a vision for the perfect Colonial city, and I made sure that my vision was realized. You will not see my city cluttered with shacks, sheds, hideous industrial garbage, or anything to detract from its delicate beauty.

For you see, I have for most of my life been a warlord. I built a massive army, I slaughtered thousands on the fields of battle. And what did I have to show for it? A sprawling, powerful city, to be sure. But I came to ask myself, how shall I be remembered? Merely as a military genius? One whose power and bravery created one of the largest cities in Cirgard? For me this was not enough. And war, war... I have seen so much death. Even in its glory, war can be ugly. I wanted to leave something more. I wanted to create beauty with my wealth and power. And so I set about to rebuild Charlamdopolis as a shining example of what a city could be. I tore down many buildings. I brought in city planners from around the globe. And I took all that I knew from my travels to create the wonderland that you now see before you.

Perfect in scale, delightful to behold: Charlamdopolis. Come, enter my great city. See its many delights. Look how it is laid out before you, so that as you wander through the city you may indulge in all the pleasures of an earthy paradise. Gardens, art, architecture... even a circus to entertain you. Each building in its place, and all for the glory not of myself, but of mankind. This is my gift to the world, this is my legacy.

As for my future, I cannot say. Much is changing. We are at the precipice of a new industrial age. I can hear the roar of change in the churning of the mighty sea. And I know, yes I know that the perfection that is Charlamdopolis cannot last forever. Change will come, as change always does. Perhaps new and wondrous things await. But I suspect that never again shall my city be so lovely, so charming, and -- dare I say it -- so perfect. Beauty shall give way to utility. Such is the law of life. For now, my friends, I offer you my legacy: the perfection that is the ideal Colonial city.

DeletedUser12612

I spent the day observing my town in Dunarsund with my architectural “advisor.” Truthfully though, Fernikus doesn’t really advise me on architectural matters. I build my town how I want, and then, more often than not, he comes by with “suggestions,” which only serve to have me re-work my town. Often, such “suggestions” actually force me to build out of date buildings, as I tend to embrace new technology faster than Fernikus himself, despite how much he talks of being cutting edge. Making matters worse, I often spend more on materials and labor costs to build the out of date buildings than he will give me as a “reward.” I guess I keep him around for humor, even if it is rather dark and ironic humor.

Anyway, we started at my residence in the Town Hall, located on the coast in the corner of my town. Next to the Town Hall is my Observatory, which allows me to both view the stars by night and keep a watch on the rest of my town by day, without having to walk all over the place.

We entered the Observatory and climbed up the numerous spiraling steps, until we got to the top. Looking out over my city, I turned my attention south, to what I have dubbed the “Malodorous Mile.” This is a craftily planned segment of my city consisting of coke ovens, fertilizer plants, and reindeer paddocks. The choking black smoke, smell of guano, and stench of butchery as Rudolph is turned into venison, all blow across town, and thus provide me with easy entertainment as I watch my residents flee the noxious fumes or shut themselves up in their houses. Rarely do the prevailing winds blow toward my own residence, and the fires from dozens of Watchfires help burn up the odors before they can reach the town hall. Despite my warped sense of humor, my citizens are always enthusiastic to live and work in my town.

When I am feeling more compassionate toward my subjects, which is usually the case, I watch the “Lover’s Lane” part of my town. This is a collection of the Tree of Love, where residents carve their initials and sit on the benches together, the many Wishing Wells, where people wish for romance in their lives, and the new thatched-roof bungalows, each next to a private oasis, for the people who have seen their romantic wishes come true.

“Fernikus,” I asked, “why do we have a graveyard right in front of the luxurious Chateau? Surely, that is bad city planning on your part, as well as bad for business?”

“Well, the graveyard was there first, seeing as how it is tended by the monks in the nearby monastery.”

“But why did you put the Chateau right behind the graveyard?! Now all the rich clientele will be seeing that when they look out of their windows.”

“Yes, my lord, that is actually the point. Contrary to your beliefs, it is actually great for business.”

“HOW?!” I asked incredulously.

“It’s simple,” Fernikus noted as he shrugged, “The clients pay more money for the rooms at the back of the Chateau, where they can see the forest and river and all the natural beauty our town has to offer. Besides, we have a Winter Market and Beach Bar close to the Chateau, so the clientele can buy souvenirs and get plastered at will.”

I had to admit that did make sense, in an odd sort of way. Shaking my head, I turned and gazed across town to the many Great Buildings that I constructed for my subjects. Yet, it is here that something odd caught my eye.

“Fernikus, why do we still have a Colosseum in the town?”

“Well, you never ordered it torn down, my lord, Testor.”

“Yes, yes, of course. What I mean is: what exactly goes on there?”

“Well, um, historically people are fed to the lions there, or fight to the death with each other.”

“What kind of people?” I asked, appalled that this could go on in such a Progressive Era as we are in now. “Prisoners?”

Fernikus looked over to the Alcatraz prison complex. “No,” he said, “many of them volunteer for military service instead, in order to avoid extended prison sentences.”

“Ah, that must be the new conscription policy.”

“Well, actually, conscription is for the law abiding citizens. We, uh, have to draw from both the prison population and the regular population, because, uh…”

“Because why?” I prompted.

“Well, no offense, my lord, but you are an administrator, and you are a great one at that. You are, not, however, a military genius. Our army takes, um, disproportionately high casualties whenever it takes to the field.”

“I’ll try to spend more time with General Grivus and learn some tactics, rather than wasting my time with Rinbin, as entertaining as he might be,” I promised.

“Of course, my lord. Anyway, to answer your original question, historically Christians were sacrificed at the Colosseum.”

“Yes, but that can’t be the case now. We are an open city, tolerant of all religions and spiritual practices. Why, we have several churches and cathedrals, not to mention a monastery. We even have statues dedicated to the old gods, like Zeus, and an entire TOWER for people who…worship in a more…Earthly manner.”

“Very true…I cannot think of who would be fed to the lions then,” Fernikus admitted.

I thought back over my city, and something in my mind clicked. “Wait a moment, that one Great Building, the one with the dome…”

“The Royal Albert Hall?” Fernikus asked.

“No, no, the other one.”

“The Capitol?”

“Yes! Yes, that one. What’s in there? Or rather, WHO is in there?”

“Just a bunch of politicians and lobbyists, my lord.”

“That’s it!” I enthused, snapping my fingers for emphasis. “That’s why we still have a Colosseum!”

DeletedUser12825

Welcome to the Village of Strassburg - A Walking Tour

The Village of Strassburg with a population of nearly 4600 is the seat of the Grand Duchy of Alsace. It has a long history dating from the Roman Occupation and the village is filled with buildings reflecting its growth with architectural examples of Roman, Romanesque, and the popular Frankish style of the current day. The Village sits on the west bank of the Rhine River and is a major stop on the trade route from Paris to Vienna and onto the Orient. Thus it is the major trade center for the Realm and the Holy Roman Empire.
If this is your first time in the Village, you should begin your tour with a visit to Strassburg Castle located in the northeast corner of the village. The castle is a classic example of the Frankish style of architecture popular among nobles today. This is the home of the Grand Duke, His Serene Grace Henry IV, and his family. In the castle, there are daily tours, a gift shop for souvenirs, and one must enjoy lunch with beer or wine in the "Burgkeller". The castle also serves as the seat of government. The Ducal Court guided by the Grand Duke,the Count Paladin, the twelve Paladins representing each of the provinces in the realm, and the Bishop of Strassburg representing the spiritual realm.
From the Castle stroll down the Grand Boulevard would be worthwhile. The Grand Boulevard is fully paved and is where many holiday processions and military parades are held. As you move west along the Boulevard you will notice the beautiful villas and mansions used by the emissaries, envoys, and other government dignitaries. On your right is the Burg Theater where many plays and musicals are performed including tragedies and comedies from the writers of Rome and Greece. However, most popular are the performances given by minstrels and balladeers. You often hear people humming the tunes to the "Song of Roland".
Be sure to take one of the side streets to your left and you will find the Wasserquelle, the original water well of the city. The Public Bath, built by the Roman Legions who occupied the area several years ago is also fed by this well. If you have a chance to take a bath, it is a wonderful experience. Although everyone knows that regular bathing may be unhealthy; the owners want to assure everyone that the waters in this bath actually have curative properties.
Just beyond the theater the Alsace Free Press. "Why is it called free when they charge you a penny to have one?" is a joke among the locals. It is a liberal paper advocating freeing the serfs in the current manorial system to be peasants who would pay rent and keep most of what they grow. This concept is very unpopular among the noble class and should be fully discussed before any such changes are implemented. It is not certain that the serfs could handle such freedom and would only become the lazy poor living off the alms of the productive members of society.
Then there is the famous inn, Le Baton Rouge, offering the best in straw beds and a wonderful board of meats and stew. Across the boulevard is the Strassburg Public School where the children receive a basic education before entering one of the many apprenticeship opportunities within the Village or becoming seminarians in the cathedral which is close by.
Further down the Boulevard next to the Baton Rouge Inn is the Military Post where you will find the barracks and stables of the military forces of the Duchy. Legions Mew is the main street through the post. At the end of Legions Mew is Gallery Row, home of the Alsatian Special Forces known as the Rogues. Notice the row of six Pillars of Victory, lined on the west side of the post, commemorating the military successes of the Duchy against the Legions of Rome, the Aleman Forces, the Troops of Francia, and the armies of other realms who attempted to limit the liberties of the Duchy.
From the Grand Boulevard, you can make a left turn onto Market Street. The street provides a beautiful walk and an opportunity to browse in the shops of the various craftsmen in the Village. There is the bakery with breads and pastries, the butcher with meats and sausages, and of course, the shoemaker with his shoes and leather goods. The shoemaker also carries wooden shoes popular with the lowlanders. And don’t forget Market Square featuring goods from the local manors and vineyards. Notice the cobblestone paving. It is marvelous improvement over the gravel and mud pathways and soon cobblestone will be found through the Village.
Market Street intersects with Haguenau Street, the road that leads to the lowlands in the north. Here you will find the Cathedral of Saint Odilia, the patron of Alsace. Take the opportunity to visit the Cathedral and do not forget to make a small donation or give alms to the poor. Next to the cathedral is the rectory, home of the Bishop of the Strassburg. Moving east along Haguenau Street, you come to the wonderful residential district known as the Bourgeois District. Many of the homes here are the best examples of present day residential architecture and serve as the residences of the craftsmen and tradesmen of the Village.
Further up the Haguenau, you will find some of the best tailors and jewelers in the Duchy. Be sure to browse among their wares but be aware that with their great quality come higher prices. The tailors provide some of the best fashions in the entire Empire including the robes not only for the Grand Duke’s family but many of the robes, accessories and other furnishings for the Imperial and other noble families in Aachen. The DeHeer Family Jewelers created the Imperial Crown Jewels and provide some of the finest pieces of jewelry and gems available for today’s collectors.
Haguenau Street ends on the east at the beautiful Strassburg Gate. Near the Gate is a statue of the first Grand Duke, Gundoin, and the memorial statue of David’s victory over Goliath. This was carved by the famous Alsatian sculptor, Michael Angel, and commemorates the small Grand Duchy’s courage in victory over the greater giant powers who attempted to subdue it.
In the middle of the Bourgeois District is a short side street, Zwishengasse. This leads to Mulhouse Road which separates the south side of the residential district from the craft district. Mulhouse Road is marked by the Pillar of Free Trade on the east and the Victory Pillar on the west. The concept of free trade marked by the Pillar means our unshakeable belief in a market open to trade by only by those who are free to trade, a complex economic concept. It does not mean that everyone is free to trade but only those licensed by the Grand Duke to do so. The Victory Pillar simply represents the success of the people of the Grand Duchy and is a beautiful addition to the street.
Along Mulhouse Road you will find the Tannery which provides leather, hides, and furs throughout the Grand Duchy. You will find wonderful handworks of leather and fur garments for purchase in their store. If you wander down Tanner Alley, you will find a park with two amazing statues. One is the Phoenix sculpted to represent the regrowth from ashes of the Village following the plunders of the Vikings. The other statue is of the current Grand Duke, Henry IV. Notice the similarity of his features to the statue of the first Grand Duke on Hagenau Street.
At the corner of Market Street and Mulhouse Road, you find the famous Strassburg University Shrine of Knowledge. This was built shortly after the Alsatian Crusade to Holy Land and was commissioned by Grand Duke’s father, Louis III, to house and collect the several volumes of books confiscated from the heathens. The knowledge gained from the collection has greatly added to local scientific knowledge. One of the more important additions is the Alchemist located at the end of Mueller Street in the Neuhausen District. The loss of the Grand Duke’s father during the Crusade as he was accidently impaled while loading a ballista is certainly the most terrible tragedy in our recent history. The ballad, “Pinned against the Wall”, reminds us all of that terrible moment.
Further down Mulhouse Road past the residential district, Neuhausen, you find the Miller. Here many of the flours and grain meals of the village are produced. You can purchase bags of your favorites here. Nearby is the Iron Works where many cast iron products for your home may be acquired. Past the Goldsmith are the Brickworks. Here bricks of various colors, a wide variety of tiles, and other molded wonders are made. The brickworks produce the wonder products of the day which has revolutionized the entire construction industry in Strassburg and all of Alsace.
Moving east of the Brickworks you will find the Centurion Amphitheater constructed during the Roman era. The Amphitheater hosts many games in track and field and other sports. It is also the venue for community festivals during Christmas, Carnival, Fall Harvest, and other holidays. It is during those holiday festivities that the many local vendors set up tents on the Amphitheater grounds to sell their specialty items. There are many foodstuffs and beverages to be tasted and sampled as well as many different handicrafts on display for your purchase.
Returning to Mulhouse Street, if you take a turn at the Ironworks, you can follow the Zwischengasse to the Vosges Vineyards. Here in their tasting room, you have an opportunity to sample some of the better Alsatian Varietals. Just beyond the Vineyards is the Arch of Triumph which serves as the south gate to the Village. Notice here is also the Roman Aqueduct, the Village’s second water source. Its water is from the Vosges Mountains and is often favored over the local well water.
You are now on Mason’s Row, the street that houses the goldsmiths, alabaster masons, and stone masons. Also on this street you will find the Oriental Gardens filled with palm trees brought back from the Holy Lands following the Crusades. The Grand Duke also had a Straw Hut built in the garden. It is a replica of the stable housing a manger where the Christ Child was born in Bethlehem.
Strassburg is a wonderful village. It is a place of wondrous economic opportunity and a quiet and peaceful place to support and raise a family. Its history provides fantastic opportunities for sightseeing and the Village calendar is filled with many cultural events to entertain and educate you. Also if you have time to visit the area on Hagenau Street behind the butcher; you can find the professors from the University excavating what is believed to be the Statue of Zeus, a future sight in the Village. There is a huge debate whether it was sculpted by Greek soldiers of Alexander the Great who made a wrong turn in Macedonia on their way to conquer Persia or by the Greek Century of the XXI Roman Legion that at one time was stationed here.

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Clovis, the Village Prefect

Submitted by:
SmithSmoky
Jaims World
High Middle Ages

DeletedUser12837

Write the story of your town from the perspective on its town leader or leaders.

Include the things your town is best at over other towns. Like how your town does the best macrame in the realm. Explain the process your people take to produce such things and the community involvements of it. You can illustrate your army and its training or how the chefs in your taverns make the best food.

Describe how your town came to be and where it will go in the future.

All entrants will received a prize, as long as their entry shows an attempt to produce a well thought out story.

All prices will be placed on the world of your choosing, but only one world.

Over 300 Words and below 500
1st - 4 units of your choice
2nd - 3 units of your choice
3rd - 2 units of your choice
(Can only choose units of an age you are in)

Over 500 Words
1st - 5 units of your choice, 30 Goods of your choice
2nd - 4 units of your choice, 20 Goods of your choice
3rd - 3 units of your choice, 10 Goods of your choice
(Can only choose units of an age you are in and the goods will be all the same)

2 Grand prizes will be given out of 200 Diamonds each
Given to the person that write the most amount of words
Given to the best story, as judged by a panel of moderators.

Prizes will be awarded based on when the entry was received. Only one entry per user. Any cheating or rule breaking will disqualify the entry

DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 12th at 11;59 p.m. EST

The City of New Brooklyn

The founding fathers were brothers that discovered a secret passage through the roughest and most rugged of mountain ranges and came upon a swath of land situated south of the mountains; they deemed that its natural protection would deter other nomads or foreign armies from attempting to cross and enter the valley below.
A river flowed alongside the valley, teeming with fish and so clear as to provide fresh drinking water; the land was also home to much wildlife that would provide food and
It was her e that the brothers decided to settle with their family, they built huts and became hunters, producing food and fur as well as skins that would be used to cloth themselves.
One brother would travel discreetly back and forth through the passage, bringing back with him friends or relatives that he convinced to move to the new land; slowly the city began to grow.
Generations alter the people began to learn new trades and skills, built stilt houses for shelter, produced pottery that would be transported by mule or horse through the mountain way to be traded for other supplies.
The men in the city began to learn defensive skills and practiced so as to defend themselves if called upon to do so. Eventually, a retired soldier from a Kings army settled in the city and began training the men and the first city army was formed.
It was not long before more people wanted to settle in the new land and with them came new trades and of course, more demand for food and housing. Blacksmiths began popping up alongside the pottery producers, and thatched houses replaced the huts and stilt homes; there were Goat farms and vineyards and before long the new city of Brooklyn could no longer be kept a secret.
The new leader, my great grandfather, began forming treaties with other blossoming cities on the other side of the mountain range and by forming alliances with them was able to form a formidable army and began conquering provinces rule by selfish, ruthless kings, each victory bringing more access to raw materials, more workers and other treasures.
Each new technology learned opened up additional opportunities, provided access to new and more highly developed industries and more supplies for the city and the surrounding provinces. Each province that was freed from its ruling family would govern itself as part of the alliance would share in the technologies and wealth of all the members.
Guilds were formed that would make trading simpler and ach guild would train the youth so as to insure continuity for the future generations. The military became stronger and eventually there were no kingdoms that could match the army’s skills and technologies; peace was assured by strength and innovation.
Today we have Cottages, roof tiled houses, clapboard homes and I have appointed a team carpenters to begin using brick and mortar to develop stronger homes that can house more people – apartment complexes will be a thing of the future for New Brooklyn.
Mills producing Lumber, Iron, Granite, Copper, are used in developing our infrastructure; Police to protect the civilian population, taverns for recreation, schools for educating the young, better roads, marketplaces, tanneries, bakeries, clothing mills, and other suppliers provide the goods and wishes of the population. Cultural buildings and statues, trees, and other more provide for the happiness of our cities people and now we are embarking on developing a sewer system that will make for better sanitation, and allow more expansion.
Our military has grown even stronger and other provinces are seeking to join our alliance. I will have the pleasure of taking New Brooklyn into the future and my children will have the chance to lead the city, or by then the entire continent into “places that no man has gone before”.

Joey –Leader of New Brooklyn

DeletedUser

A man approaches a tavern. His armor moves like a second skin atop of a familiar host. It is old, mended and worn. The armor speaks a language warriors know how to hear. It tells of the power of the one inside. This story is told to those that listen but the warrior pays it no mind, he has lived it, no need to hear it again.

Entering the tavern He calls, “Barkeep I would like a good beer.” Patrons turn to assess the newcomer.

The Barkeep smiles and says, “Sure thing darling.” The crowd returns to their own distractions

She draws the beer and hands it to the warrior “The name is Effie. I am the owner.”

“My thanks, Effie.” Sliding a Sovereign across the bar

Effie smiles and palms the coin, “Thank you, darling”

Effie watches her newest patron silently sipping his beer. Watching his eyes, watching for trouble, his posture not tensed but is still in a ready state. The man has a story, maybe more than one.

“Trying to figure my story out?” The warrior speaks braking Effie’s concentration and silence of the moment.

“Oh you know Everyone has a story.” Effie begins wiping the bar to shiny perfection.

“Aye,” He sips his drink, “we all do. I will share a bit if you will have a listen.”

“Please do.” There is a moment where you can feel the attention around the tavern gather as all enjoy the process of discovery and entertainment.

“I am Beauregard Axhandle. I have had numerous titles. I have been a leader of men as a General and a Barron. I have followed great leaders to amazing success. You Effie, may call me Ax. What type of story would you hear?”

You were a leader?

“Aye, I have been a man others will follow. Now I am moving through to find my next opportunity.” Ax moves with a grace and power that speaks of earned experience as he turns to the new voice.

It is a simple farmer bent from a life of hard work. He looks at the warrior and steps forward. “Then I want you to explain why a leader would work his people the way we have been. Why there is so little here and so much there.” Ax reaches out to catch the man as the toll of his questions and his life seem to crush the farmer before the eyes of the warrior.

“I have seen the question you ask played across numerous worlds and cities.” He moves the weakened man gently back to the bench he moved from. “ I have yet to be able to make sense of madness. I have fought through rivers of blood and seas of pain. I have no good answer to this question. I have looked for the best answer to this problem.” Ax grips the hilt of his sword with strength the makes the grip grown under the pressure. “The answer I have for ignorance and stupidity is strength and Trina.” As ax draws his sword there is a word written on the Blade – DOCTRINIA – “It means education. I will educate this individual. And it will become another story for someone to tell. And we will tell it together as we change the course of the story of the city.

DeletedUser12665

Story of my Town.

Left for dead after the battle of Mid-night River Pass, Aenden with other forgotten survivors, was found by the wives and daughters of the dead. These women took them across the short mountains of Arredia to a lush valley of fertile land, tranquil lake and a gently flowing river. There, away from war, army recruiters, marauders and slavers, they built shelters and nursed the men back to health. They lived as summer faded to fall and fall turned to winter--survived the cold, when the Carynn black-fur wolves came out of the woods to eat. When the land thawed, spring blossomed in life and color--love, Aenden and others decided to start a new life far from the violence and regulations of their past. They built homes. a town hall before the snows fell, and by the next year's harvest, births of sons and daughters, they had named their fledgling city Endenvale as a joke, after Aenden, the man chosen to be their first leader.

In the third year, ten cold and starving miners and a metal smelter came out of the mountains and made Endenvale their home to work the ore for tools, plows and weapons. The fifth year, twenty five escaped slaves took refuge in the thriving city and fought for their freedom, with other citizens, when the slavers came to attack. The first war of freedom took the lives of the slavers and kept the city's location secret to the world. The tenth year brought the remnants of a caravan, forty nine settlers and others, survivors from a marauder's attack to the city--who fell in love with the land and took up residence within it. The caravan's leader, healed, left the city promising to return with goods to trade and sell. Five years later, the caravan returned with a group of stone masons and their families, who stayed, built homes, buildings in stone. Craftsmen, bakers, blacksmiths and others trickled in over the years to swell the ranks of the men and women already there. The Second Battle of Freedom came in the twenty fifth year, against an army of marauders attacking for food, drink, slaves and treasure--and was won to the defeat of the enemy vowing to return one day to finish the war they had begun. Frightened, the citizens built up their army to protect their children and themselves, but through the years, turned their attention to peaceful pursuits and coexistence with other town and cities about the land.

Endenvale's beauty comes from its well maintained buildings, roads and parks, decorated with trees and monuments in every size, shape and form. These tributes to nature and the arts are meant to relieve the stress and burdens of life, and to be pleasing to the eyes and emotions who see, visit and rest around them. Delights can also be found at the Hopsidae Sandcastle Park or in the Wolf and Badger Tavern. For those seeking to quell their hunger, fine cheeses and cuts of meat, as well as breads and pastries, can be found within easy walking distance from homes and Inns alike.

Endenvale is the choice for all.

DeletedUser2193

My city Gypsy Camp by Lady Caroline Red

Hello,I am Lady Caroline Red of Gypsy Camp) aka Uradel, aka Dark Hall

Uradel was founded in 600 AD. In Brisgard. We wanted to be a peaceful, but the harsh realities of life soon beset our poor hunters...the years became long and hard and ugly.
We struggled mightily........until my rich lover helped me. He sent an envoy of 1000 crossbow men with leather pouch of of DIAMONDS! The villagers were elated........we captured lands and territories, we built better housing, and with my direction the village became happy! We became deeply militarized, well protected our village was safe....
Then sad times came .......we spent everything we had....and to make matters worse there was dissension.
An election is coming up. My advisers have informed me that there is small faction .....wanting to greatly demilitarize, and worse NOT WORK! They want to be subsidized, they block roadways, they formed a union and strike at the factories.
To think that a small outsider group could oust me is outrageous.
I have proposed a "daily draft".
My loyal constituents now have taken matters into their own hands and the pillories are always in use for any dissenters.
I rule with an iron fist in a velvet glove. This is when we met Greva. A stout middle aged woman who begins to pester us.

Years and years have gone bye.......100 AD The years of Dark Hall
now we are
The Town of Dark Hall which lies to the far West in Brisgard and practices pagan rites.
We whisper the words of the Druids, our forefathers ....our warriors are energized by a circle of tall henge.
We have castles, fine homes, we dress in silk........well not the peasants. We purchase exotic goods at many a vendor....our streets are paved and fine. Our people are delighted.
Late last night at the witching hour. (that's around Midnight)........a weary scout came from a very very great great distance, he spoke of a consultation with a seer, Sasquatch.......who saw cities with buildings as tall as the skies, machines that move, Guilds that fought with great bitterness. And Greva is still
around, sigh. My goodness she has put on weight and she badgers me with promises.

More years have gone by: too many! Gypsy Camp 2014 AD

The seer was right, now we have a vast metropolis which abounds with very modern technology, specialized troops, elite assassins and equal housing.........now out of boredom perhaps or great desire for challenge we live for competitive battle. We have a top secret facility called the Genome Data.......what are they really doing in there, their manifesto sounds innocent.........? There are rumors that extra Champions are being cloned!
We from the safety of our lovely city of bright blinding watch fires........have seen many a warrior fall from grace, many a warrior become discouraged.........We fought and forged on despite incredible obstacles. My city joined many Guilds......but alas alack so many operated with treachery and greed and we had a serious independent streak and issues with authority figures...........we fled, we started Rogues.......and we will be mist in the night.......smoke in the day. As we traverse along this journey, this path of FOE many a fine friend we have made.....many a comrade, not to mention a few enemies along the way!
Sasquatch had another vision.........the Guild Wars map divided into 3 distinct camps......guarded by flying saucers...................could he be right? And why is Greva is still around?, sigh.! I think she is having a mid life crisis~

Why do we have a great town? We survived everything! The witches, the plagues, the plunders, the players!
We prosper and thrive~

DeletedUser5334

In the northern kingdom of Ironcrest, there lay the, magnificent city called Ethranil, ruled by King Roric and Queen Lydia. They were just rulers, and always sacrificed their needs for their people. Though it was mostly peaceful, there was constant tension between Ironcrest and Xrio, which bordered Ironcrest's southern most region. In the days when Ironcrest and Xrio were young, the leaders of Ironcrest tried to initiate a peace treaty with Xrio. Xrio’s leaders, for reasons unknown, declined.

Together Roric and Lydia lived a long and prosperous life. Lady Lydia gave birth to three children, Etharia being the eldest, Julia, and Bael. As the years passed, the old King Roric became sick along with the beloved Queen Lydia. Etharia brought healers from all across the realm in an attempt to find a cure for their mother and father, but nothing worked. On his deathbed, the king named Etharia as his heir. Bael was enraged. He felt that a woman had no business ruling a kingdom. Bael was driven insane from the grief and the rage he felt, though he hid it well. He blamed Etharia's incompetence for the death of their parents. He was angry at his father for naming Etharia heiress. So Bael sought out allies, dark and powerful ones. In the months that ensued Etharia planned her coronation and Bael planned his dark revenge.

The day of Etharia's coronation came. As the ceremony began, Bael stormed the great hall with all the men he persuaded to betray Etharia, and demanded the crown be given to him so he may be king. Etharia denied him and ordered he be removed from the great hall. As the castle guards moved in on Bael, he ordered his men to attack. Lords and ladies fled from the hall as chaos ensued. The floor became flooded with red. When the last of the castle guards were slain, Bael moved in on Etharia. Etharia's guards formed a barrier between her and Bael's blood lust. Most of Etharia's guards lay on the ground still warm, but lifeless. With what little guards she had left, Etharia managed to escape the city with Julia. Together Etharia and Julia fled to Lytan, and though wary, the people welcomed them. Because Lytan lay just out of the reach of Ironcrest and Xrio, it was a constant source of conflict; no kingdom had a claim over Lytan. Though Lytan was small it was able to hold its own against the two nations that fought over the small town. Lytan was able to prosper because it had established trading with some of the other independent cities and towns.

As Etharia and Julia helped the town through the years, they became attached to this small yet lively hamlet. Attached as they were, they longed to see the dazzling city of Ethranil and the flowing wheat farms. During Etharia's time in Lytan, she met a trader from the independent city of Hazig, Orael. Etharia and Orael eventually got married and had a son named Gabriel.
Every few months, raiding parties of both Ethranil and Xrio would try to claim Lytan. As Etharia and Julia fended off the soldiers and mercenaries, the people began to see Etharia and Julia as their leaders and their friends. Under Etharia's rule, the hamlet became bigger and bigger. Etharia and Julia began to create alliances and planned to regain the throne from their brother. When the time was right, the sisters united all the allies under one banner.

Ironcrest was in a sad state of affairs. The country was broke. The criminals ran amok in the streets. Bael was mad with power and the guards of the realm did as they pleased. As Etharia and Julia’s army marched towards Ethranil they cleared any town they passed of all the corrupt soldiers. The people cheered as the sisters passed by, for their princesses had returned.

When they came upon the walls of Ethranil, Etharia and Julia beamed with happiness at the sight of their beloved city. Etharia noticed there was a small group of soldiers standing a few feet inside the gate, which were left wide open as an invitation to enter the city. As Etharia and Julia's army began to file in the gates, the pathetic group of soldiers turned and ran with their tails between their legs.

Etharia and Julia found Bael sprawled on the throne with the crown sitting lazily upon his head with his sword leaning against his leg as if he was expecting her. As the sisters approached the throne, Bael sneered at them. Etharia drew her sword and challenged her brother. When Bael stood, the crown tumbled off his head and clattered against the floor. Bael grabbed his sword and stumbled into a ready position, but instead of coming at Etharia, he went for Julia. He moved so fast that Etharia just barely turned her head in time to watch as Bael removed his bloodstained sword from Julia's heart, and the life fade from her eyes. Etharia stared as Julia's lifeless body fell into the pool of blood gathering on the floor. Etharia felt nothing as she rushed to Bael and stole his life just as he stole Julia's. As Etharia cradled Julia's head, not caring about the blood that covered her knees and hands, she heard cheering outside. Upon hearing of Julia’s death the cheering was replaced with the Song of Mourning.

Just as Bael's emotion was drained from him and left him with only blood lust, Etharia's happiness was drained from her heart and left only sadness. She restored the country, but she was not happy as she watched the celebration of the New Year.

Orael died just after Gabriel's 14[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday, which only deepened the queen's sadness. Not long afterher adviser Clarence offered to take care of the country in her stead, just until her mourning was over. Gabriel warned his mother that Clarence would only take advantage of her condition. Gabriel's warnings were correct. Clarence abused his power and tried to enslave everyone. He all but destroyed Ethranil with the dangerous magic he used to trap Etharia. Gabriel took his mothers sword from her chambers and killed the adviser and for the first time in a long time Etharia smiled. She smiled at the strong man her son had become. Her time of grief finally ended.
When Gabriel turned 18 Etharia stepped down from the throne and crowned her son king.

While exploring the mountains just west of Ethranil, the inventor Jeremiah found mass deposits of iron. A mining town was established within a year. After several deaths in the mines Gabriel requested Jeremiah start developing better equipment for the miner’s safety.
Ethranil had large stocks of many resources, which provided economic stability for many centuries.
After Gabriel took the throne, he created a new order of guards called the Guardians of Ethran to ensure that another tyrant could never take the throne. The Guardians still exist to this day.

Ethranil prides itself on its many power plants. Creating power is very complicated better ask the researchers.
Large amounts of iron. Volunteers go for months at a time to a village in the mountains to mine iron for a large profit for their work.
Zeppelin rides. The fine city of Ethranil has its own Zeppelin. All the townspeople pitched in with their sheets to make this fine machine.
Come take a look at the beautiful Wishing Wells. After many years of persuasion the greatest sculptor finally made three of these bad boys.
In front of city hall you will find gorgeous statues of Etharia, her husband Orael, Gabriel, and his wife Arela. Also made by our esteemed sculptor. (If you ask me he had an obsession with the royal family.)
View the mighty Monastery where the great Guardians of Ethran are trained.
Then visit the Shrines of Knowledge where all of Ironcrest's history is stored.

DeletedUser12604

I am Laymona. I started my realm from nothing, but now it is so much more.
Yes, there are kingdoms more powerful than mine but they didn't go through the challenges I went through. The men 'round these parts don't accept an independent women as a true leader, but then some peasant don't agree with their king.
This humble realm of mine was started by me and my partner, Zarn. Zarn and I escaped from the oppressive kingdom of Tarmachea. King Jarryn ruled absolutely over us and the rest of our people. Stuck in a caste system we had no hope of ever following our own will. Zarn formerly was a shoe polisher at King Jarryn's second favorite shoemaker. I, being a woman, worked long hours in the textile mill closest to my hut. Zarn lived in a better house than mine but I couldn't tell you what for I was never there. I met him at the market trying to sell cloths that King Jarryn had deemed 'unfit for even Esmeralda's servants to wear'. Esmeralda was his third wife.
Zarn happened to be in a bad mood that day because our King was too. Rumor had it that Esmeralda's new baby was another girl and he did not like this. Not even any of his production shops finest products could satisfy him. Zarn was muttering to himself in that way that he still does, with business being slow today I had to ask. A long conversation short we ended up venting our frustrations to each other about our 'wonderful' king.
About a week after our first meeting we decied to run. Better lives cloud be elsewhere where we weren't confined to the kings whims.
We took little, but ran far and fast until we were far out of King Jarryn's reach. We stoped near a coastline that was bordered to one side with peakless moutians. For awhile we slept under the cover of trees but then went met some wanderers. With knowledge from them we started this realm, Arvahall, and it is my realm. Our realm.
Peasents have come from their own Tarmachea faster than we can build houses to support them. Word of the freedom we represent has brought them to us. Everyday we grow stronger and more powerful.
As of yet we are not much, yet we are already so much more than Tarmachea ever has, or could have.

{----------------------------------------------------}

DeletedUser

My name is Tim Adams. As you can surmise from my user name, I am an avid bicyclist. This activity holds the reason why I named my town Nevinville.
Back in the summer of 1976, when I was much younger and full of vigor, I bicycled with nearly all of my available time, whenever the weather permitted. I got so I could do 100 miles in one day rather frequently. Sometimes I rode well past the century mark. When I set a personal best with a 163-mile day, I decided to attempt a big one-day tour.
Poring over a map of Iowa, I searched for a town where I believed I could ride to from my home in the Des Moines suburbs and make it safely back the same day. Noticing a tiny town called Nevinville in the northeast corner of Adams County, which is the closest to my home, I decided to try for that town. I thought it would be neat to say I had bicycled in the county in my state that shares my name.
Setting out on a cool, damp Saturday morning, when I got to Winterset, about 37 miles away, my hands were swollen from the dampness. At least I knew that would change as the day warmed up. But as I was leaving Winterset, it looked like I might not make it to Nevinville. The highway that I wanted to use had a detour. On a bicycle, detours are usually dead ends, with the alternate route taking too long to make it feasible.
At least the portion of highway that was under repair was not long, perhaps about 100 yards. I simply carried my bike across the repair and continued westward. At Greenfield, 24 miles further, I turned and headed further south. Before going to Nevinville, I took a slight detour to another small town, albeit larger than Nevinville, called Orient to ask for directions. A service station attendant provided what I wanted to know, concluding with the often used comment about small towns, “don’t blink or you’ll miss it”.
Following the directions, I soon came across a gathering of buildings and trees that looked like it could be a tiny town. As I bicycled in, a man getting out of a car turned and looked at me with a strange look. He doubtless was not used to strangers riding their bicycles there. I asked him if this was Nevinville. He acknowledged that it was.
Riding on for the equivalent of about a city block, I pulled up in front of a general store. Several men were chatting on a bench in front. I started talking with them, telling me where I had started from that morning. They asked where I was going from there. When I told them I had reached my turnaround point, they were surprised, and perhaps even flattered. For the first time in my life, I was the local town celebrity.
Soon, a woman drove up. One of the men said, “Look who rode a bicycle all the way from Des Moines just to see our Nevin!” The woman looked at me as if to ask “really?” I replied that I had.
Noticing the speedometer on my bike, she asked me how far I had ridden. Checking the mileage, I replied “77 miles”. She said that sounded about right.
The men then told me a little about their town. They told me about the various buildings around their “block”. Then they told me a bit about the town’s history. At one time, there were two places in town where they could see movies. They also told me about a dishonest attempt to attract settlers back when the town was getting started. The river that skirts past the town to the east is, at that point, more like a trickle of a creek. But during the spring flooding, when it swells up to look much more like a substantive river, a man there took pictures of it. Then he sent the pictures back east claiming that Nevinville would someday be a major river port.
One of the men invited me to his house for dinner. As much as I liked the offer, I had to decline. I still had to bicycle back home. I needed to get going.
Not repeating the side step into Orient, I headed directly home. Greenfield. Winterset. DeSoto. Adel. Waukee. I was nearly back home.
I was about five miles from home when the trip when it almost ended badly. Suddenly, I heard the loud screech of car brakes behind me. Then a car swerved from behind me to the left in front of me. When the car stopped, it was facing more to the west, not the east toward where both driver and I were headed. Tire tracks marked the path the car took after hitting its brakes. At least the car did not make contact with me or with any other cars.
The driver of the car pulled off the road and stopped in front of me. Upon noticing that I was unhurt, he continued on, as did I. I finished the memorable day with 152 miles.
Since then, I have only revisited Nevinville once. It was 23 years later. The general store was gone, nothing there but a vacant lot. A church that must have been operable at the time of my first visit was boarded up. Several buildings looked like they would not be standing much longer. The little town had certainly declined. Its prospects were grim. This was a bittersweet reunion.
Therefore, when it came to choosing a name for my Forge of Empires town, I decided to give Nevinville another chance. It all started in pre-Columbian England, when a group of about 100 serfs decided to try to escape the oppression of their lords. After months of careful preparation, they had their boats made and well provisioned. On an early spring day, they set out for their destiny.
These serfs were not planning to go west, but wind and currents forced them that way. At least they kept their boats together. Eventually, they arrived at some land they had never seen before. Concerned that their lords might know about this land and might find them, they started up an estuary that gradually thinned into a river. The natives seemed friendly, even willing to give food, but seemed to want them to continue farther up the river. Finally, they came across a native who wanted to help them cross over the mountains to the west.
Following that native’s guidance, they safely crossed over the mountains at a low point, parting ways with the native there. Starting downward, they soon encountered a small river, following that they came across a larger river, then one even larger. This river led them to a river much larger than they had ever seen before.
This river provided good fishing and plentiful berries on its banks. Deciding they might be too easy to find if they settled on this river, they started upstream. Before long, they came across another large river flowing down from the west. They decided to follow this river upstream. The farther they got from England, the better. After a tedious journey up this river, they selected a tributary that looked easier to continue on. It also looked like it had trees that would provide good foraging.
The serfs continued up this river until it got too small for their boats. Then they continued further, until they felt safe that nobody would find them. The weather was turning cold. Their provisions were running low. So they dismantled their boats. Taking the wood and whatever provisions they had left, they started building crude huts on a hill west of the river.
Before long, they made contact with some natives. The natives seemed a little uneasy with the new arrivals, but at least wanted to be friendly. After some effort, they learned some ways to communicate with each other. That led to providing mutual help. The natives helped the new comers forage for enough food to last through the winter, while the new comers provided tools that helped make jobs easier.
Through astute planning, strong effort, and luck, none of the new comers died during the arduous journey. But shortly after their arrival, one of the older members, a man who was called Nevin, died. His efforts and advice had proven invaluable both in preparing for the journey and for helping during the journey. The survivors agreed to name the town Nevinville in his honor.
One of the new comers had successfully pilfered a Bible from the old country. Books were very hard to come by back there. They were non-existent in their new home. None of the new comers could read, but they knew enough about the language that they gradually figured out what sounds the letters made and what words the various groupings of letters corresponded to. The people wanted to learn to read, but wondered how useful it would be if they had nothing to write with. This problem was resolved when coal was found several miles southwest of the town. People could write on wood scraps with the coal. Soon everybody was expected to learn to read and write.
Because the new comers realized that they needed a leader, and because they were used to having a king, they decided that someone among their group should become their king. After talking it over, they selected a young man whom they considered both intelligent and astute. The man was not really seeking to become king, but accepted the decision of his fellow settlers. Deciding that the name Timothy was the name in the Bible most similar to his own, he took the name King Timothy I.
King Timothy I was a very benevolent man. He encouraged benevolence among his people. He also firmly believed in maintaining cordial relations with the natives. King Timothy even punished people from Nevinville if he found out that person had mistreated any natives.
Once the natives realized how much the newcomers wanted to be friends, they readily reciprocated. The natives and the newcomers enjoyed trading with each other. They gradually learned better ways to communicate with each other.
Nonetheless, being from different cultures, there were some things that seemed not to make much sense. The natives did not comprehend the new comers’ concept of division of labor, where each member of the village focused on a particular occupation in order to provide goods and services to the other villagers. But the natives enjoyed trading to obtain some of the goods the new comers made. They were particularly fond of the gadgets that had wheels. The natives had never seen anything with wheels before.
Perhaps more questionable to the natives was the new comers’ concept of land ownership. They treated the land on which they built their dwellings as if it was theirs to keep. They even felt they could possess land near their dwellings to raise food. When the new comers put fences around their gardens, the natives found it particularly questionable. The natives firmly believed that to try to own land was as sacrilegious as trying to own the sunshine and the air.
At least the tensions eased when King Timothy assured the natives that this was just their way of providing the food they needed. Considering their numbers, they would never possess much of this vast land. This fact became more evident when the next winter arrived. The new comers’ helped protect both themselves and the natives who traded to obtain portions of the crops. Running out of food in the winter became much less of a risk.
From that point on, as Nevinville grew, their king would exchange something of value to whichever natives were nearby in order to pacify the need for more land. True, each parcel of land that Nevinville took over meant less area for the natives to use, but that land was insignificant compared to the vastness that still remained.
Finally there was the issue of education. The natives could not understand what benefit people could gain from writing strange symbols on pieces of would using that messy black stuff they called coal. Real education was learned from showing the young how to hunt, fish, forage, to take care of their belongings, and how to transport those belongings. These were the things they would have to do when they grew up. At least the natives liked those things called wheels. Maybe those strange symbols somehow taught people how to make wheels. The natives all agreed that this education was not hurting them any. So they decided not to make an issue of it.
As the decades passed, the Nevinville civilization advanced more rapidly than the natives. There was little metal in the area, but when iron started being brought down from the north, the new comers put it to good use, making things that made their original tools obsolete. But as Nevinville grew more powerful, it never forgot the lessons passed down by King Timothy I and the other original settlers. Good relations with the natives continued.
Eventually, the relationship between Nevinville and the natives became like a team with Nevinville at its head. Issues about Nevinville occupying more land subsided, as the natives shared in the growing prosperity. Both groups learned various things from one another. Everybody seemed to be better off because of the Nevinville settlement.
Then came bad news. Strangers had invaded far down in the southwest. They had a strange magic that made their enemies sick. Most of the people who caught this sickness died from it. As more news about this strange malady trickled up to Nevinville, its doctors began to realize that it was some kind of virus. They told the natives that people caught it be coming into contact with other people who already had it. The best way to avoid catching it was to not come into contact with people who were sick with it.
Meanwhile, more bad news reached Nevinville. The medicine men in the infected areas were powerless to stop the disease. On top of that, the invaders kept coming in larger and larger numbers. They were taking land for their own use, similar to how the Nevinville people had. But they were taking much larger portions of it.
The people of Nevinville mourned when a native from their area caught the disease and died. But the Nevinville doctors knew they must do something. Before long, people in their own town would be afflicted.
When the disease finally struck Nevinville, the whole town, together with the nearby natives, became stricken with fear. Could this be the end of the wonderful lifestyle that they had enjoyed?
Somehow, it turned out that the people of Nevinville were much more likely to survive the disease than the natives. There had been very little intermixing between the two races since they arrived, but before long the Nevinville doctors realized that the mixed breeds were also more likely to survive. Was there some reason for this?
Finally, the Nevinville doctors came up with a formula that did not cure the disease, but at least made it less fatal. Word of the wisdom of the Nevinville doctors spread far and wide. Natives from all parts of the continent began sending tribute to the wise and highly regarded people of Nevinville. Soon Nevinville’s prosperity ascended like it never had before.
But Nevinville’s success did not stop the flow of new people coming to the continent. Word reached them of another group that was forming settlements to the south. Then another group was forming settlements to the east. As the people of Nevinville made contact with these groups, they discovered similarities with their own language. It soon became evident that these people had migrated from the same home land they had. The people who located themselves in the south and the southwest spoke a similar language, but clearly not the same. But when the settlers from the east made contact with Nevinville, the people of Nevinville were pleasantly surprised to learn that these people spoke a language very similar to their own. These people coming from the east must, like themselves, have come over from England.
The people of Nevinville became good friends with the English settlers. When the English settlers decided to form a new nation based on a principle called democracy, the people of Nevinville followed it with great interest. Nevinville knew of no other form of government besides having kings. Under this new democracy, people would select their own leaders.
As the new nation spread closer to Nevinville, the people in Nevinville became more enamored with it. Rather than conquer Nevinville and the natives most closely affiliated with it, the new nation just left them be. Nevinville adopted a democracy itself, patterned after the new nation.
Then the new nation became embroiled in a war between its north and its south over slavery. Keenly aware of its beginnings in an escape from oppression, Nevinville readily supported the northern effort to stop slavery. For the first time in its history, Nevinville fought in a war. After the war ended, with slavery declared illegal, Nevinville decided it would join its fellow English neighbor. Nevinville became a part of the new country, with most of its domain becoming a part of Iowa. Some areas in the Nevinville domain were became parts of Missouri, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Nevinville grew to become one of Iowa’s leading communities. But Nevinville never forgot how it was founded on the same principles as the country it had joined, many years before the people who would eventually form the new nation even settled here.

DeletedUser10324

Way back when....The Story of Timber Line.....by timberk2s

In remembrance of Timber, A yellow Labrador. On the date of her birthday, March 22, Our guild Timer Line was created in 2014 in her honor. Our Guild offers protection and companionship to it members. Highly intelligent with a need to feel a part of a family. Prized in sporting and hunting, yet gentile and kind to those who are in need. Strong and loyal we will fight for our own.

In the world of Fel Dranghyr, Timber Line is a level 9 with a Global Rank of 66.
Currently has 58 active members - all their names are underlined and fit in nicely below in the story.
I have also highlighted in Bold specific buildings and items from FOE you will recognize as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Running full speed ahead, zipping past the FreddiFishy Whaling Station, I realized I was the foolhardy1, cutting it close, but I thought I might just make it... Except for one small problem…. Running behind me with a shovel in his hand, is a angry ShamrockJim from the Vineyard. As I ran past the Rhg1969 Clocktower, I see I have 10 minutes to get to the other side of town! Behind me, I hear yelling, “Thief! Catch him, he’s got Casripfang's!” Wowzers, are my teeth really that large? Krocko, the manager of the Fruit Farm, hears him and now both of them are hot on my tail. Rut ro! Not wanting to get caught, I avoid entering the Trading Company, by taking a short cut through the Triumphal Arch. With no time to view the beautiful carvings, I race on past. Now, I can smell the floral scents, fresh baked pies, lamby chops, and cajun10 scents blowing through the air from the Market Place up head. People come from other Towns and Providences to trade and shop here.

I felt something red and gushy hit my shoulder, I yelped. I didn’t dare stop, so I cut through HolmaMotors Garage thinking I could catch a ride, but there was a sign hanging from the Mavuonghamchoi Pillar that read - Out to Lunch"s. Just my luck! On second thought, I passed through the Knight Stables. I knew this would get me closer to my destination. In the courtyard, Kevin the Conquistador and Rogerb were outside sword fighting. Their shields displayed the fierce Dagonbane76 symbol on them. Wanting to avoid being chased by them, I turned and ran up the Promenade, just missing running into Danburev who was leaving the Boarding House, on his way to work at the Theater, carrying boxes full of costumes from the Tailors and Shoemakers he had picked up earlier in the day.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see my pal Bluestephen10 sitting on the steps of the Cartographers. I cried out to him, “Blue, help me out I need a distraction – I’ve got to make it to the Amnesty1 Naming Ceremony!” While running past a Villa, I heard a growl. I looked back to catch blue with a couple of my pals, Murrbros and Upotheke, tugging down on a Clothesline. I heard it snap and it sprang back up hitting ShamrockJim smack on his chest, forcing him to land on his butt with a stylish pair of Superj14 underwear landing on his head! Still being chased by Krocko, I hopped a fence into the School yard, but there was no where to hide. I bet I can lose him through the Tobacco Plantation! Just a little further and I will be free and clear, but as I rounded the corner, I missed the signpost signaling a gravel road. Just as I ran out, a Sienna10 colored horse reared up and barrels of Sillum powder and Barlin Ale rolled out of the wagon with Jdoran3212’s Gunpowder Manufacturing written on the side of it. I tried to dodge the barrels but one caught me in the leg and I ended up sliding through a mud Houle7300. Man they’ve got to fix these roads and put in some more Paved Lanes! With no sign of Krocko, I recovered my feet and ran past the hedge with flowers and up the steps into the Aachen Cathedral.

Breathing heavily, as I slipped inside the door, I could hear SailorSaint preaching to the gathering, “Ofinn , Since eyc1977, we have been gathering in our town to officially name our newest Guild member. He is the son born to the Royal family, I am pleased to introduce, Sir Fister“. I could see the Queen holding the baby. Whew, I made it but I need to be up front with the Royal family. I too was a part of the Royal family, I was specially chosen over my 7 brothers and sisters. Remembering this, I raised my head up and pranced down the aisle. As I got up to their bench, I noticed everyone whispering and snickering, and some people were pointing at me. I heard Tonycolla’s deep voice questioning, “Is that a Kuhdog?” Whoa! Let’s get that straight, I am no coonhound!

I must get to the Princess, so she could clear that myth up as soon as possible. As I looked up at Princess Nahema7, she smiled at me. I was so excited to see her, I dropped my gift and jumped up to lick her face. I could hear gasps and someone declaring, “it smells like rotten tomloe1201s in here”. A female voice asked “is that a tree?” I looked down to see Nahema7’s dress covered in mud and heard someone say “I’ve got Badknees, Grab that dog!!!” Habuli caught me from behind and held me at arm’s length. With all this confusion and embarrassment, I accidently peed on King Jdelany6’s shoe!!!

I heard someone say, “Man he’s got Balls McGee!” I wanted to shout back, "Excuse me, but I’m a girl", but I was whisked away before I could. One of the uscgretired servants, mumbled, “Bad Dog” as he punched in the combo fzpcjs57 to unlock the side door. While being carried out the door, all I could see was the Rifleman Range and Gallows! Yikes!As we started down the path, I wiggled and twisted but I couldn't get away. Oh, please I promise to be behave, there's been some mistake! I was taken into the Spearfighter Barracks. I'm panicking, death by spears?!? Before I knew what was happening, Lobon, the Herbs Merchant, plopped me into the Waterspout Fountain and poured Bubbles Gambino all over my head. Water? This is awesome! The bludolfin86 which was spouting water from the fountain tickled my ears. By the time my bath was powderpuffspice complete, I could hear the band, zzztop123, playing and the ElectricAmish dance starting, signaling the ceremony was over. Sadly, I realized I had missed it. Are they just cleaning me up before my punishment is awarded?

Thankfully, I was then escorted past the IceFireFox statue, back to the Palace, to rejoin the festivities already underway. They were just serving the Refnorshments, when I arrived. I started drooling, yummy Heath36 bars! I was promptly handed me over to the Queen, EmpressMookie, whom was standing next to Mavuonghaman. He scowled down at me and I started to whimper and shake. I felt like I failed. Would they disown or shun me? I just wanted to find a Cave76 to hide in. With my head low, showing my OKIQuit attitude, and my tail between my legs, I looked up at her with my big brown eyes and let out a big sneeze!. All those bubbles went up my nose! She laughed, scratched me behind the ears and said, “You smell much better!”

As the Gas Lamps were lighted, EmpressMookie walked over to the Pavilion with Flowers. Gesturing the air with her hands, she shouted out to everyone at the party, “Yloo! , Your attention everyone! In addition to our new baby boy, We are also pleased to announce new construction is going to begin for the Dresden Frauenkirche and Imperial Guard Barracks! We want to thank you all for your hard work and Forge Points! As to another matter we must also name our Labrador puppy, who will grow up to be a bigdawg16 and bring laughter and companionship to our household, not to mention potted plants on special occasions“. Everyone laughed. She knelt down beside me and said “We name you Timber Line, befitting for the gift you brought to welcome the new Prince.” She searched through her macPac39 and pulled out a new green collar. She placed it around my neck with a dangly tag that proudly had the Statue of Zeus picture on it with my name engraved below. I woofed, "thank you". She then handed me over to the princess who cuddled me in her lap.

I learned my lesson, and tried to stay out of the dirt, while Mbushman13 helped us plant in front of the Old Wall South, my AspenTree gift I brought. I felt so proud. Just to be sure I was out of the dog house, I did a little wiggle to the song livenonaprayer, sniffed and placed my paw on the king’s shoe while bowing down to ask for his forgiveness. He knelt down, and to my amazement, he rubbed my belly! It was a Triplewin, I was now officially a member of the family!

Stay tuned for more Timber Line stories….

DeletedUser

Welcome, welcome. So glad you could make it to Bheir Mi Buaidh. Oh no I did not sneeze, but thank you anyway. It is the name of our town. What does that mean you ask? Do not worry we get asked that all the time. Well let me tell you. It means, "I will endure, I will conquer" and it is the motto we live by. This town was established as a haven for anyone wanting more and better in their lives. Whether it is our potters making beautiful clay vessels to store our wares in, or the black smith as he pounds out tools and works of metal art, to even our farmers who grow the most delicious delicacies you have ever tasted, we pride ourselves in finishing every task, not only to endure to get it done, but to conquer it and mold it to fit with our own unique style. We may be a new town and our army young, but even they are living up to the town's name. They are some of the hardest fighters and the territories we have claimed so far are proof of that. Those territories provide us with other goods, that we may not be able to produce ourselves and we are always looking for people who are willing to travel between the territories making deliveries and bringing back goods. We are still young, so our army is not fully developed yet, but we do have spearmen, slingers, horsemen, warriors and throwers and I have been informed that all of the units are looking for more recruits, so you can certainly find a place there. If fighting really is not your style we have many other activities around town. There are a variety of jobs in the Town Hall and we have the latest technology of runners and bird deliveries; so our memos and important documents get where they need to be much faster. We also have the lumber mill that provides the town with wood and wood chips for our homes and fires and then there is the hunter's hut, that provides ceremonial jewellery for our festivals and vital weapons for not only our troops, but for our towns people to hunt for food. We have a variety of homes to choose from to live in, whether your tastes run from the basic simple hut to the more complex chalet, we have it for you. We have pathways between each of our buildings and homes, so access is never restricted and there are even some lovely paths outside of town to explore the local flora and fauna. The children are taught all the latest technology and even our adults keep themselves up to date with all the changes of the age. We do not know where the future will take us, but there is not anything we will not put our best efforts to and we are always open to new ideas and new technology, so if you feel that Bheir Mi Buaidh is the town for you, please come and be a part of us, we will leave the lantern burning for you. Oh, please forgive me, I am LorShepps, the ruler of this humble hamlet and I cannot wait for you to join us in beautiful, majestic Bheir Mi Buaidh!

Status
Not open for further replies.