• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Summer Event 2023 Feedback

xivarmy

I did manage a 4-cartographer slate after the rate nerf - so yea, it doesn't seem as bad as I first envisioned. I'm cutting myself off on that world now though I think (5 cartographers from a mostly-prenerf list; 1 from a postnerf list with other goodies that made it more worthwhile than buying doubloons which i had originally planned on (140 doubloons + 10 key fragments + a couple trading post selection kits); and another 4 from another postnerf list).

I'm not selecting treasures anymore for the moment there until I'm 100% committed that I'm done spending as the maps do seem, even without cartographers as an option, to be a much better deal than buying doubloons directly - but need to use the swaps to some extent at least.

Some of the more common options for ~375 diamonds each (2995/8):

70 doubloons. Buying 100 costs 1050 diamonds with the best deal, so value 735 diamonds
5 treasure key fragments. 100 diamonds each normally, so value 500 diamonds.
trading post selection kit. 50 grand prize progress takes ~276 doubloons. So value ~2900 diamonds.

Dursland

I did manage a 4-cartographer slate after the rate nerf - so yea, it doesn't seem as bad as I first envisioned.
I got 12 cartographers in 3 sets of treasure maps. Not too terrible. Only 3 were before the nerf, in first incomplete set.

Agree with you treasure map is better than spending doubloons directly. I saw some guy quoting 10,000-12,000 diamonds per extra buc's bay. I'm going to end up with 3 of them (plus leftovers) for a total of 18,000 spent because I got so many trading post kits from the treasure map.

8,000 was spent on doubloons, 10,000 on the maps.

xivarmy

Swapping out the daily prizes really sucks (I still don't know why we don't get one free and can then swap more for diamonds). Almost every single day I've either gotten one of the attack or defense boosts or one of the old towers or tower upgrades. And why are so many non-summer event items available on swap (Horror Circus, Pagoda, Abandoned Asylum)? Events don't usually have other event prizes in them do they (except for the anniversary event)?
The off-event buildings is now a relatively common but recent development. Mountain Reserve and Heroes Tavern were available in St Pat's as well as Anniversary for instance even though they belong to Wildlife and Fellowship. Olympic Treasury has shown up in a bunch of events (starting with last Winter event I believe) - even though it belongs to Forge Bowl.

I guess they felt they wanted to give us more variety in what we might want for specials to chase - and particularly with this being a long event they had a lot more room for specials. It lets you chase the finish for a building you didn't get done during its event - or prep for an upcoming event by getting kits early. The on-event specials do receive more of a focus by being able to get them either through "their day" or through the "epic kit".

Overall I like it for now. But perhaps in the long run it might make "the event with the building you've been waiting for" less special.

xivarmy

I like to think it also means they plan to release more golden upgrades and that's why they're making the old buildings available.

Sure would like an upgrade to my House of Wolf before it gets removed for something better.
With the advent of golden upgrades for old buildings (can we call them golden oldies? ;)), I'd mostly switch to storing past fully-upgraded buildings in inventory indefinitely. Wouldn't want to have a "but I just deleted that" moment with one :p

Dursland

Used 200% potions for the first time today. Did one of each, attacker and attacker's defense.

I noticed not much difference in swapping troops but it must work because I got 138 battles on gbg open instead of my usual 110-120.

qaccy

I think the new "mega" boosts are duds though. I see zero difference even with a 300% on attack and another 300% on attack defense.
You probably already have fairly high red boosts. Boost % has diminishing returns the more you get, also compared against the % of the enemy side. If your stats beat the enemy by a factor of 10 to 1 and/or you're adding that 300% to a value of 2000%, then yeah, the new potions won't be doing very much. But if you're about even with the enemy stat-wise and/or your boost amount is somewhere around 200% instead, those potions are indeed going to make a much more noticeable difference.

Lorendar

Getting the calendar reward is going to be near impossible by the fact that the calendar key doesn't appear on each board. I've had boards using 120 doubloons, not get the key and hitting reshuffle. So, progress goes back to zero and if the key doesn't show up in the reshuffle....It's getting to the point Inno needs to change the name of the game to Merge of Empires.

Just An Observer

Beta testing saw players saying how hard it was to get Carts. For me it was ridiculously easy. 27 in the city, 4 in inventory right now. Keys? I have more Keys than days remaining! By careful selecting in the Treasure Map part of the game, getting a nice setup of Carts and Doubloons let me run amok in the event, so much that I could hardly believe it! Yes, this is a Diamond spending event but you get a lot for your Diamonds. Add in 4 Viceroy Villa upgrades, 3 Buc Bays and a ton of lesser prizes to see it felt like I got Christmas x10.

Now all I have to do is wait until a Daily Special comes along that I like. Everything else I wanted and then some is already in hand.

Aethelcatt VIII

Some clarification is needed on the game rules regarding treasure maps: Do we still get one upon hitting Reveal, X2 or Shuffle, or is it just Shuffle now?

Last night on a board I hit all three of them in a row, but only got one treasure map. Thinking that it must have been a bug, I sent a ticket to tech support, and the reply was a bit of a surprise: “Only the Shuffle provides a treasure map prize.”

Now, the official post announcing the event clearly states: “Treasure Maps! You can get them on the following rewards: Shuffle, the x2 and the Reveal. You can easily identify them since there will be an additional Treasure Map icon on those rewards.” (See https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/summer-event-2023.45326/)

So, I asked tech support if there has been a rule change about this sometime during the event, and this time the answer is somewhat ambiguous: “It's possible. A lot changed in this event and not all the documentation was updated.”

Obviously this question needs to be settled by the voice of authority, which I hope remains present on the forum: Do we get a treasure upon hitting Reveal or X2, according to current game rules? I’m all confused. If you look at the game board, all three of those tiles still display the treasure map icon. In fact, after that conversation with tech support, I hit either Reveal or X2 on a subsequent board, and this time a treasure map was awarded. So, did I get one extra, or did I miss out on two that the system somehow withheld? I hope someone can shed some light on this.

xivarmy

Some clarification is needed on the game rules regarding treasure maps: Do we still get one upon hitting Reveal, X2 or Shuffle, or is it just Shuffle now?

Last night on a board I hit all three of them in a row, but only got one treasure map. Thinking that it must have been a bug, I sent a ticket to tech support, and the reply was a bit of a surprise: “Only the Shuffle provides a treasure map prize.”

Now, the official post announcing the event clearly states: “Treasure Maps! You can get them on the following rewards: Shuffle, the x2 and the Reveal. You can easily identify them since there will be an additional Treasure Map icon on those rewards.” (See https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/summer-event-2023.45326/)

So, I asked tech support if there has been a rule change about this sometime during the event, and this time the answer is somewhat ambiguous: “It's possible. A lot changed in this event and not all the documentation was updated.”

Obviously this question needs to be settled by the voice of authority, which I hope remains present on the forum: Do we get a treasure upon hitting Reveal or X2, according to current game rules? I’m all confused. If you look at the game board, all three of those tiles still display the treasure map icon. In fact, after that conversation with tech support, I hit either Reveal or X2 on a subsequent board, and this time a treasure map was awarded. So, did I get one extra, or did I miss out on two that the system somehow withheld? I hope someone can shed some light on this.
Not likely to get an official answer on the forum. But yes, all 3 reveal it - and is displayed as such on the board: 1687568129990.png
The scroll above them means treasure map.

Note though that if you hit the 8 maximum, any further treasure maps will go to the void until you collect those 8. So if you're at 7 and cleared out a board with 3 without visiting the treasures in between, the last 2 will not count.

Aethelcatt VIII

Not likely to get an official answer on the forum. But yes, all 3 reveal it - and is displayed as such on the board: View attachment 20443
The scroll above them means treasure map.

Note though that if you hit the 8 maximum, any further treasure maps will go to the void until you collect those 8. So if you're at 7 and cleared out a board with 3 without visiting the treasures in between, the last 2 will not count.
Thanks for the reply! That's exactly what I was talking about: The treasure map icons are plainly there, but the reply from tech support was also unmistakable: only Shuffle gives treasure maps now. So which version of the rules do we follow? ‍

And it was certainly not because of the maximum in my case--I started the day with a clean slate. As a matter of fact, I never leave the treasure maps hanging around. As soon as I get one, I want to know what I can turn it into--"right here, right now."

xivarmy

Thanks for the reply! That's exactly what I was talking about: The treasure map icons are plainly there, but the reply from tech support was also unmistakable: only Shuffle gives treasure maps now. So which version of the rules do we follow? ‍

And it was certainly not because of the maximum in my case--I started the day with a clean slate. As a matter of fact, I never leave the treasure maps hanging around. As soon as I get one, I want to know what I can turn it into--"right here, right now."
Not sure what might've happened then. I know I've pulled 2 off boards anytime i get both the show 2 and shuffle. Though I don't pay as close attention as you and sometimes do go over the maximum if I just needed one more - I don't notice until it pops up the screen after the shuffle.

qaccy

In fact, after that conversation with tech support, I hit either Reveal or X2 on a subsequent board, and this time a treasure map was awarded.
I think this line makes it pretty clear that even you know treasure maps don't only come from Shuffle.

Dursland

Got 5 Hidden Goods before I even saw a key, and got my 6th before I found the key. But luckily I did find it.

Phew, doing that 5 more times in the doubloons allotted sure isn't going to be easy lol.

Emberguard

You probably ran out of space to store Treasures. You have a max of 8 Treasures. If you run out of space then you have to buy the Treasures before you can get more

At a rate of 3 per board that means you're going to have less room than there are spaces for treasure if you consistently run into all three on each board.