• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

Do you have any idea when it's okay to work ahead and already conquer later sectors of the map? I know in PE, you can get 'the deligates have already left', but any ideas how this is later on? On my second world I'm in late Colonial, so I'm talking mainly on the ME and PME cmap.

UBERhelp1

Do you have any idea when it's okay to work ahead and already conquer later sectors of the map? I know in PE, you can get 'the deligates have already left', but any ideas how this is later on? On my second world I'm in late Colonial, so I'm talking mainly on the ME and PME cmap.
You could go through the ME map, but I wouldn't be surprised that if you took the first two PME provinces, you'll lose the quests that give you MG teams since you need to follow a sequence with those.

jalepeno04654

Please help! I seem to have lost the TE storyline (AFTER regaining from CE), and am now afraid that I won't regain the storyline when I get to FE map.
1) Wanting the TE troops, I took first province, then did recurring quests to pick-up CE story line at the end. As expected, I lost story line after completing CE
2) I started scouting and taking TE sectors, but I only got one TE story quest, #16 Drug Lord, which gave 2 combat drones. The story then disappeared again
3) I've now fought all the way to 2nd to last province (Desertio de la Muerte). Did not skip any sectors. Still no sign of the TE story. I did get the suvelliance nexus side quest.
4) Currently I have 2 RQ slots, and Truth or Dare held in a 3rd quest slot

After Torrinhos, I did scout all 3 available sectors, rather than scout 1 / take 1. I have also been doing RQ spink/fnord as I take each sector's coins and supplies.

How do I get the story quest back??? Would really suck now to lose out on Hovers! I have plenty of techs and diamonds left...

UBERhelp1

Please help! I seem to have lost the TE storyline (AFTER regaining from CE), and am now afraid that I won't regain the storyline when I get to FE map.
1) Wanting the TE troops, I took first province, then did recurring quests to pick-up CE story line at the end. As expected, I lost story line after completing CE
2) I started scouting and taking TE sectors, but I only got one TE story quest, #16 Drug Lord, which gave 2 combat drones. The story then disappeared again
3) I've now fought all the way to 2nd to last province (Desertio de la Muerte). Did not skip any sectors. Still no sign of the TE story. I did get the suvelliance nexus side quest.

After Torrinhos, I did scout all 3 available sectors, rather than scout 1 / take 1. I have also been doing RQ spink/fnord as I take each sector's coins and supplies.

How do I get the story quest back??? Would really suck now to lose out on Hovers! I have plenty of techs and diamonds left...
To be quite honest, I'm not sure why you lost the story. Your only real option is to keep pushing and hope that after aborting an RQ the story appears.

UBERhelp1

236,000 Views and a Milestone
At first, 236,000 views doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Yeah, it's *a lot,* nearly a quarter of a million, but the number itself doesn't have that much significance. However, this view count means that this guide has just become the most viewed guide on the US forums of all time, surpassing even the incredibly impactful Heavy Questing Strategy guide that Cosmic Raven (now DeletedUser23444) posted in 2016. Additionally, to my knowledge, this Higher Age Units Guide is now the third most viewed guide on any Forge of Empires forum, behind the unfortunately now outdated Great Building Encyclopedia and Table Guide to all buildings, units, towers and expansions on the international game forums, and this guide has reached such a level after less than two years.

I don't have anything new here to actually announce other than this milestone, but I did want to take the opportunity to thank you all again. It's a weird feeling being able to check my notifications and nearly every day have new messages from people that I've never met, but who have read my guide and want to give feedback, offer suggestions, or ask questions (even not about the guide). It really does make my day better when I'm able to talk to all of you and not just play a game by myself, but rather to be part of a community.

So once more, thank you.
-UBER​

KingJMobile

When I got TE units, I started the Story by scouting Rio Roxo. I took only Torrinhos and Villariba to get there. I aborted RQ the second I scouted Torrinhos, and the story came back as soon as I scouted Rio Roxo. I'm not sure why the story stopped for you. Maybe it was because you took Bajatai before you got to Rio Roxo, I'm assuming.

Anyhow, I think the Story should re-begin once you negotiate Agadar. Before the TE Unit thingy was found, many players missed out on TE Units (but saved one tech) and CE Units.

The "when to abort" a RQ, or complete one, is a point of confusion for me. I have seen it in the posts here, but don't see it in the guide. I'm in Indy and almost done with the PME map, so getting close to "Truth or Dare" which I know I can't complete or abort.

However once I get there, if I wish to get the TE troops, should I not complete or abort a recurring quests while I'm working on the CE map? From comments it appears that doing an early abort appears to move you into the CE quests line, or TE quest line. I've read through the guide and I don't see that being called out. Figure it should a big bold statement.

I feel like the right approach is to get onto the TE map before I complete or abort any recurring quests. Is that correct?

KingJMobile

I feel like the right approach is to get onto the TE map before I complete or abort any recurring quests. Is that correct?

That is correct. Scout Torrinhos, abort RQ. Then scout and acquire Villariba, and then scout Rio Roxo. Aborting a RQ every now and then, but once you do scout Rio Roxo the story should appear. Don't take any additional provinces. Just get to Rio Roxo ASAP.

jalepeno04654

Ok, so my story (heh heh) ends well. After completely conquering the second to last TE province, the TE story finally picked up at "Miranda Meets the Maker". I still got the tech quest, but I've got plenty of techs prepped. Bummer to miss out on the stealth tanks, but the combat drones have worked great, fought all the way through TE manually without losing one.

I think KingJMobile has it right: I probably ditzed around taking sectors of different places in order to maximize my RQ! doh!

UBERhelp1

Thank you. And if I abort a RQ BEFORE Torrihnos, I could put myself in a bad spot? That's one of those traps I think folks may fall into.
Yes, since that would take you to the CE map. I have a note to put in the RQ thing, but I just haven't been able to get around to it yet. Sorry :(

Thanks for the response and confirmation. Nothing to be sorry about, this is all remarkably complex and the guide you have posted has really changed the game for many. It has created a new "meta" that folks are using on the new server now.

For better or worse, the path is unforgiving. One mistake and often there is no way to "fix" it and all you can do is age up. I like that because it's challenging, but it's important to know what those traps are.

Thanks for writing this guide and replying.

Last edited:

KingJMobile

For better or worse, the path is unforgiving. One mistake and often there is no way to "fix" it and all you can do is age up. I like that because it's challenging, but it's important to know what those traps are.
Same. I sometimes wonder why Inno decided to make these "paths" in the first place... Of course, now they've stopped it by placing a tech blocker at each start of the Space Ages.

Ben Trovato

Same. I sometimes wonder why Inno decided to make these "paths" in the first place... Of course, now they've stopped it by placing a tech blocker at each start of the Space Ages.

I assumed they weren't planned, not like some cheat code. They tested all the probable routes, and it's the seekers after the improbable that found the weird workarounds subsequently. Inno obviously have no problem with them as they could easily "fix" them, and will sometime even restore advanced-aged units through customer services.

UBERhelp1

Being able to get OF troops in CE had to be planned. They knowingly didn't put in any tech blockers, so there's no way they could have done that accidentally.

Though tbh, I'm still surprised that they haven't "patched" the questlines or inserted tech blockers.

KingJMobile

Being able to get OF troops in CE had to be planned. They knowingly didn't put in any tech blockers, so there's no way they could have done that accidentally.

Though tbh, I'm still surprised that they haven't "patched" the questlines or inserted tech blockers.
Ngl, it would be very unfair if they patched it.

That thought had crossed my mind. But as I sit here spending diamonds to pull off the strategy, the rather obvious answer jumps to mind of why they wouldn't patch it. Those willing to do this will likely be buying diamonds as well.

I agree it would be unfair to those who have completed and received higher age troops, to patch the loop hole now. I'm fairly close and if they changed things now I'd more than a little put out, and so would others. It's hard to do and takes a fair amount of diamonds to pull off. I also wonder how easy it would be to patch. While I'm not a programmer, the quest decision tree seems complex. It doesn't appear intentional as the strategy allows one to get past a deliberate tech block(s), so I'm guessing it's a bug. Patching it could be challenging and also tick off a nice chuck of the paying player base at the same time.

But I digress.... a lot, from the guide topic. Currently in TE. I'll let you know if anything has changed. My first CE quest was Dictator's Death. Hope I'm on the right path.

jalepeno04654

Despite my minor snafu missing out on most of the TE troops, this morning I broke through and got my hovers, all 4 of them. My neighborhood has been, uh, less than pleased. :cool: Can't wait to try them out in GBG! Still have plenty of techs left to reach all OF troops, but will take my time. Aged up to Industrial and completed all quest lines from there to Future over last 2 weeks. Diamond rushed all the scouting, diamond-healed my top troops when necessary; no need to spend cash, had plenty from my 3 diamond mine cities. I fought everything that didn't HAVE to be negotiated. Bazooka teams worked well, machine gunners even better: contact is great against reactive armor. Combat drones did the heavy lifting through tomorrow and future.

THANK YOU for this excellent guide.

UBERhelp1

Despite my minor snafu missing out on most of the TE troops, this morning I broke through and got my hovers, all 4 of them. My neighborhood has been, uh, less than pleased. :cool: Can't wait to try them out in GBG! Still have plenty of techs left to reach all OF troops, but will take my time. Aged up to Industrial and completed all quest lines from there to Future over last 2 weeks. Diamond rushed all the scouting, diamond-healed my top troops when necessary; no need to spend cash, had plenty from my 3 diamond mine cities. I fought everything that didn't HAVE to be negotiated. Bazooka teams worked well, machine gunners even better: contact is great against reactive armor. Combat drones did the heavy lifting through tomorrow and future.

THANK YOU for this excellent guide.
Glad to hear it! Terrorize your hood for me :)

Benjamin hargrave

So I’m at a bit of a loss. I just finished the PME map and am holding on to “your choice.” I’ve moved on to the CE map, but for the life of me I can’t get the CE story to trigger… thoughts?