• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Leader Tips

DreadfulCadillac

Here's a tip to help avoid a specific problem in swap threads.

First the problem: Simultaneous posting. When two members post at the same time on a swap thread, resulting in the member before them getting a double donation and one of them not getting their GB donated to. Example: Player A has previously posted his Traz. Players B and C both donate to his Traz and then post their GBs at the same time. Player D comes along after a while and donates to player C, because that's who is listed last. Player B receives no donation.

How to avoid the problem: Very simple process, institute this procedure for the swap threads.
1. Attach your GB.
2. Close the thread. If on PC, go back to first page of message center if thread is on page 2 or beyond. If on mobile or if thread is already on first page on PC, thread will automatically go to top when closed.
3. Re-open thread.
4. Donate to GB listed directly before yours.

Closing and re-opening thread will result in any (almost) simultaneously posted GBs being put in proper order, and enable members to see which GB they should actually be donating to.
this is what i always do;-)

DeletedUser

We regularly have this problem with new players. They want to place fps first and then post their gb on the thread. Meanwhile, another member has posted their gb and is placing fps. Smh. Such a simple thing becomes very complicated. Lol
That leads to another tip for swap threads with new players/members. Only add them to the 5 FP thread (or whatever your smallest FP thread is) until they demonstrate that they understand how the threads work and that they can use the proper procedure. I recently did this when a group of relatively inexperienced members of another guild merged with us and it worked very well. Of course, you have to explain the procedure as well as make it clear that it's not a punishment or distrust in any way.

mamboking053

In every guild that I have lasted in it was the atmosphere of the guild and it's people that keeps me there. At the moment I could have went to a higher ranked guild but I like the people in my guild. My guild leader is super-energetic, friendly, always supportive, and present in a way that's anticipated and appreciated. You know you like your guild when you have to opportunity to move on and you don't. I don't care about other guilds, their ranking, or being number one, but I care if my guild makes progress to being better, themselves.

If you can achieve that feeling in your guild among your guildmates, I think you're pretty set.

mamboking053

That leads to another tip for swap threads with new players/members. Only add them to the 5 FP thread (or whatever your smallest FP thread is) until they demonstrate that they understand how the threads work and that they can use the proper procedure. I recently did this when a group of relatively inexperienced members of another guild merged with us and it worked very well. Of course, you have to explain the procedure as well as make it clear that it's not a punishment or distrust in any way.

I think it would be safe to add them up to the 20 FP swaps. I imagine mistakes here, if any, are easiest to forgive.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I appreciate the responses. I'm sure others do, as well. But this isn't quite what I was hoping to learn. Our guild is doing well with the basics. Daily operations run smoothly. I'm looking for the next step. The next level. Maybe a better way to keep interest and morale high. Maybe an idea for an in-guild contest or competition. Some innovation that makes helping guildmates get GBs easier. A thread that improves guild life in some way. A leadership technique that will help me improve. Any thoughts?

Agent327

You can keep moral high, by competing in GE. Other thing you can do is hold guild competions. Players donate say 10 fp to participate and winner or winners take all. Exampleas are predicting when your guild will hit the next level, or for the pacifists, who has the most nice looking city.

Getting GB's easier is not something you can do, cause you can not give away BP's. What you can do is with enough players with a high Arc in your Guild to start a boostline wherre you can report your GB for a 1,8 or 1,9 boost.

UBERhelp1

You could do contests.
  • The first person to finish all 64 encounters in GE gets ___
  • The person who donates the most FP this week gets ___
  • Pick a number x-y. The person with the closest number gets ___
  • The person who breaks the most sieges in GvG gets ___
Idk. You could always ask your guildies for ideas, who knows they might have a good suggestion.

Agent327

You could do contests.
  • The first person to finish all 64 encounters in GE gets ___
That's the same one every time

The person who donates the most FP this week gets ___

Donate where? How do you keep track of it? Is it fair if donating means getting a profit?

• Pick a number x-y. The person with the closest number gets ___

Childish but the only one working.

• The person who breaks the most sieges in GvG gets ___
How do you see who breaks the siege?
Idk. You could always ask your guildies for ideas, who knows they might have a good suggestion.

I think that would be better indeed.

DeletedUser

I think it would be safe to add them up to the 20 FP swaps. I imagine mistakes here, if any, are easiest to forgive.
It's much easier to see whether they get it if it's just one thread, and it doesn't take long. And it's even more important to keep it to one thread if you have a group join together or an ongoing turnover of members.

Algona

I'm looking for the next step. The next level. Maybe a better way to keep interest and morale high. Maybe an idea for an in-guild contest or competition. Some innovation that makes helping guildmates get GBs easier. A thread that improves guild life in some way. A leadership technique that will help me improve. Any thoughts?

Why do folk join and stay with your Guild? Is there anything you can do to accentuate that? Is there anything directly related to that that may be useful here?

Contest Ideas: Best clean jokes / haiku / limericks. Answer the question what you would do with 1000 FP? Who can build the worst looking city? My favorite is a contest for contest suggestons.

Ask the Guild what GB is needed, then self level (or use self levelers) the GB so that others can get cheaper BPs. Help organize groups chasing and leveling particular GBs. Try a 'barn raising'. where everyone throws FPs at a particular GB, with a random donor being the target of the next barn raising.

Are you talking to your officers and asking them to evaluate and critique what you are doing? Do you ask folk who left why they left? Don't forget mouthwash and regular bathing, Ask guildies about other Guilds they've been in and see if anything pops up that resonates.

Reading the responses here is making me consider the possibility that I am doing a good job as a guild leader. :) Many of the suggestions are things our guild already does. I am just constantly looking for a way to improve. I like the idea of a contest. I just need the right type for us. Algona brought up some interesting questions I need to consider. But I can promise that I brush my teeth and bathe regularly. ;) I also like the barn raising idea. I will run that by our council. Thanks guys! Keep them coming!

Bruadhin

So....

The proper protocol is to add your GB then contribute to the one above? Also for larger swaps, do all the FP need to be added at once?

UBERhelp1

That's the same one every time
No, its not.

Donate where? How do you keep track of it? Is it fair if donating means getting a profit?

Childish but the only one working.

How do you see who breaks the siege?

I think that would be better indeed.
@Amyality the Relentless asked for ideas, so I came up with some to be nice. They didn't have to be perfect ideas. Why don't you post some too if you think no other ideas are good.

DeletedUser

So....

The proper protocol is to add your GB then contribute to the one above? Also for larger swaps, do all the FP need to be added at once?
Add your GB, close and reopen the thread, and then donate to the one above yours. If you don't close and reopen the thread, then it doesn't solve the problem of simultaneous posting.

On any FP amount swap thread, you should always always have the necessary number of FP on hand and donate them as soon as you reopen the thread. Always. Every time. Always.

Victoria and Albert

First, I would like to say how much I appreciate this new thread. I have posted guild founder questions for the last year, but I love that there will be a unified information feed. Thank you, Amyality!
We have a solid guild which I have capped at 30 members. Probably 10 of them have been with the guild from the start.
We've got 3,5, 10, 20 and 30 point threads, one for trade help, one for low level Observatories for non -owners to contribute to, one for Arc owners and Arc wanters. We've got an ongoing Upcoming Quest line up, an In the Mud, and a New member thread.
For a few months, I was advised by a Small Council, but then there were arguments about who should be on the council, so I have let that die out.
I do run contests, celebrations and incentives. Right now, you get 5 points for posting your New Year's resolution. I give everybody 10 points on the guild anniversary. I'll give bonuses for winning our 30th gold trophy.
Each Monday, I recap the week and award GE top score forge points and participation points.
We recently had a blow up from players who would not contribute to Observatories after I made a mandatory 10 points a week to one of the low level ones. (At our level, each member gets 2 points from town hall and 1 point from me daily , so 10 a week did not seem so arduous, but I lost a couple of members.)

So, here is my latest dilemma. We are almost 2 years old with most members growing up with the guild. We have 6+ players in advanced ages and 3 Arc owners. My distress is that the early players never have a chance at rewards from point contributions. We have one member who consistently puts in hundreds of points and has only once gotten higher than 3rd place and she's been playing since July. Every GB that goes up is dominated by players who drop 30+ in, and the established GBs take forever to level. I've thought of creating a thread of just low level GBs but that seems unfair to the owners to wait for early players to level them. The Observatory thread only works because no one is in a hurry to build those up, so the players can take their time.

Any thoughts? Thank you for any advice you can give!
Happy New Year!

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

First, I would like to say how much I appreciate this new thread. I have posted guild founder questions for the last year, but I love that there will be a unified information feed. Thank you, Amyality!
We have a solid guild which I have capped at 30 members. Probably 10 of them have been with the guild from the start.
We've got 3,5, 10, 20 and 30 point threads, one for trade help, one for low level Observatories for non -owners to contribute to, one for Arc owners and Arc wanters. We've got an ongoing Upcoming Quest line up, an In the Mud, and a New member thread.
For a few months, I was advised by a Small Council, but then there were arguments about who should be on the council, so I have let that die out.
I do run contests, celebrations and incentives. Right now, you get 5 points for posting your New Year's resolution. I give everybody 10 points on the guild anniversary. I'll give bonuses for winning our 30th gold trophy.
Each Monday, I recap the week and award GE top score forge points and participation points.
We recently had a blow up from players who would not contribute to Observatories after I made a mandatory 10 points a week to one of the low level ones. (At our level, each member gets 2 points from town hall and 1 point from me daily , so 10 a week did not seem so arduous, but I lost a couple of members.)

So, here is my latest dilemma. We are almost 2 years old with most members growing up with the guild. We have 6+ players in advanced ages and 3 Arc owners. My distress is that the early players never have a chance at rewards from point contributions. We have one member who consistently puts in hundreds of points and has only once gotten higher than 3rd place and she's been playing since July. Every GB that goes up is dominated by players who drop 30+ in, and the established GBs take forever to level. I've thought of creating a thread of just low level GBs but that seems unfair to the owners to wait for early players to level them. The Observatory thread only works because no one is in a hurry to build those up, so the players can take their time.

Any thoughts? Thank you for any advice you can give!
Happy New Year!
Oof. That's a tough one.

First, I think you need to cut off the FP you are giving them. You can't lose 30 FP a day like that.

You can create 'leap frog' threads for arcs, in which someone places an arc, then any other GB, then arc, etc.

For those that drop off lots of FP (I'm assuming on the swaps) they aren't in the wrong. Swap threads will always be dominated by those with the highest FP production. Nothing you can do about that.

I'd recommend (not just for you, but for most guilds) a 'Rewards' thread. If a GB is close to leveling and there are open spots, guildies can put on a few FP to get free rewards.

I hope this helps.