• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Leader Tips

Emberguard

Pretty much. You can reasonably expect to get about 10 DS's in a major event for the free currency given. That could be 10 HoFs if you wanted to go for HoFs.

Victoria and Albert

Oof. That's a tough one.

First, I think you need to cut off the FP you are giving them. You can't lose 30 FP a day like that.

You can create 'leap frog' threads for arcs, in which someone places an arc, then any other GB, then arc, etc.

For those that drop off lots of FP (I'm assuming on the swaps) they aren't in the wrong. Swap threads will always be dominated by those with the highest FP production. Nothing you can do about that.

I'd recommend (not just for you, but for most guilds) a 'Rewards' thread. If a GB is close to leveling and there are open spots, guildies can put on a few FP to get free rewards.

I hope this helps.
I like the rewards thread. I may try that.
The founder's points are incentives to be in the guild. I have plenty of points, and I would like to think it boosts morale to for members to feel that I'm unconditionally supporting their GBs.

DeletedUser37617

Hey, since this is for guild leaders I have a question if ya'll don't mind!

This is my problem:
So I started a guild in U world and it is slowly growing, a couple have stayed and a couple have come and gone etc. One of the first things I did was put up a clear guild description listing the rules and what I expected out of members (only fair trades being one of the main ones). One day a new player joined up and everything seemed fine for the first couple of days, then I noticed that she put up a long list of unfair trades (she wanted 2 iron age and was offering 1 bronze age). I reminded her about the guild rules and she did not respond... Over the next couple of days a gave her two more warnings figuring after the third one I would have to kick her. I could tell she was on because she was posting her GB in the FP swap during that time, she just wasn't responding to me at all or correcting her trades. Then, right as I was about to kick her, she left the guild... and started her own. Since then she has been actively recruiting from under me, contacting all members who join my guild and trying to get them to leave. I have had three members tell me about this and that they are planning to stay in my guild and that is nice, but I really feel that I need advice on what to do (and what I can do)!

DeletedUser

This is my problem:
So I started a guild in U world and it is slowly growing, a couple have stayed and a couple have come and gone etc. One of the first things I did was put up a clear guild description listing the rules and what I expected out of members (only fair trades being one of the main ones). One day a new player joined up and everything seemed fine for the first couple of days, then I noticed that she put up a long list of unfair trades (she wanted 2 iron age and was offering 1 bronze age). I reminded her about the guild rules and she did not respond... Over the next couple of days a gave her two more warnings figuring after the third one I would have to kick her. I could tell she was on because she was posting her GB in the FP swap during that time, she just wasn't responding to me at all or correcting her trades. Then, right as I was about to kick her, she left the guild... and started her own. Since then she has been actively recruiting from under me, contacting all members who join my guild and trying to get them to leave. I have had three members tell me about this and that they are planning to stay in my guild and that is nice, but I really feel that I need advice on what to do (and what I can do)!

If it were me, I would send out a guild-wide message stating just what you said here. Stress that she posted extremely unfair trades, and that she was non-responsive to messaging.

If it were me, I would send out a guild-wide message stating just what you said here. Stress that she posted extremely unfair trades, and that she was non-responsive to messaging.

What Stephen said is important. Be open and honest with your guild members. They will appreciate it. You can't keep someone from trying to recruit your guild members. What you can focus on is making your guild worth remaining a member.

spnnr

This is my problem:

Great advice on the above from the other posters and I would also suggest the following :

- You may want to consult with your remaining members if they want a change in the goods /other policy . As guilds grow there sometimes need to make organisational change and ppl should feel part of the process. Unfortunately one bugbear is that you cant set mutually trades for guild members and outsiders without guild members seeing it . So if your crew decides the old rule is restrictive -do a Trades Needed thread for internal fair trades. Unfair trades has a role and place in development.
- Guild wise promote a few players on merit (if you havent already) to positions to help out -giving them responsibility and authority it may engender greater team work
-Keep it in context -sure you want to reach out there and strangle em ..unfortunately the whole guild admin thing is one of lessons learnt, fingers burnt type experience mate. Dont be soured with one experience there are great guildies out there awaiting to join your guild mate ..

Have fun !

teamwork.jpg

Darth Mole

Here are some additional ideas:
I founded the Guild 'Furry Resistance' in Z world almost a year ago.
1) Have all Guild threads like swap threads etc 'branded' ie with a logo - we have furry animal emojis to facilitate their recognition and avoid accidental deletion
2) We have a weekly lottery - based on RL lottery results. All participants pay the winner 5FPs to the GB of their choice
3) We have separate trade threads one for urgent GE needs - these can be cleared in seconds and another for more general trades.
4) Have a 'Core' value - ours is GE participation and this is constantly reinforced.
5) I have invented a weekly award including back story to be found in the Guild Forum. It is a Mythical (and obviously virtual) Cloak of Power with a whole bunch of history behind it. each week it is passed from the current holder to a new recipient with a (usually humorous) note explaining the reason for winning.
6) We are working towards our year anniversary in 2 weeks where there will be a bunch of things happening - all publicized weeks in advance and with the whole Guilds input and suggestions.
7) We have a 5 person Council where all decisions are discussed, Anything with 4:1 majority will be passed. Members being booted. Change to GE requirement etc.
8) On our profile page - below - we have nicknames and symbols for each member dependent on their achievements, Cloak of power, GE finishes etc etc.
upload_2019-2-2_17-17-25.png
9) a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember now!

In short we've tried to create a 'personality' for the Guild and therefore for the type of person that thrives here.
(Come join us!!)

Snarko

Here's a tip to help avoid a specific problem in swap threads.

First the problem: Simultaneous posting. When two members post at the same time on a swap thread, resulting in the member before them getting a double donation and one of them not getting their GB donated to. Example: Player A has previously posted his Traz. Players B and C both donate to his Traz and then post their GBs at the same time. Player D comes along after a while and donates to player C, because that's who is listed last. Player B receives no donation.

How to avoid the problem: Very simple process, institute this procedure for the swap threads.
1. Attach your GB.
2. Close the thread. If on PC, go back to first page of message center if thread is on page 2 or beyond. If on mobile or if thread is already on first page on PC, thread will automatically go to top when closed.
3. Re-open thread.
4. Donate to GB listed directly before yours.

Closing and re-opening thread will result in any (almost) simultaneously posted GBs being put in proper order, and enable members to see which GB they should actually be donating to.
I know this is a late reply but this is not enough. Closing and reopening the thread does not force an update from the server. Closing and reopening the message center does. I'm seeing lots of issues with simultaneous posting on a very active 1.9x thread and even if people close and reopen the thread it doesn't always solve them.

DeletedUser

I know this is a late reply but this is not enough. Closing and reopening the thread does not force an update from the server. Closing and reopening the message center does. I'm seeing lots of issues with simultaneous posting on a very active 1.9x thread and even if people close and reopen the thread it doesn't always solve them.
If the message hasn't gone to the front of the line, so to speak, then you are right, you should close and reopen the message center to force that. I only have that issue once in a blue moon, so I didn't mention that possibility. I will go back and edit my post to include that. Thanks. :)

DeletedUser

A good founder or guild leader should always treat every member the same. Not good to have different rules for different members. That should include themselves as well.
In a way I agree completely with you, although you do have to "handle" different members according to their...shall we say, individual personalities. :)

Algona

A good founder or guild leader should always treat every member the same. Not good to have different rules for different members. That should include themselves as well.

Completely disagree.

Egalitarianism leads to rigid policy leads to players chafing.

A Guild is measured by it's best players. Those players are treasures and deserve every consideration, includung Rank Hath Its Priveleges. Or you can treat them the same way you do the deadweight at the bottom of the Guild I'll welcome them to my Guild and give them their due.

Contrariwise, new players have to be cherished, taught, nurtured. They can't be subject to the same rules, requirements, and expectations of established players.

Meanwhile he backbone of the Guild, the average players, the ones who have learned to play but still growing in capability, they need to be treated with a level of support that is different from the n00bs and All Stars. They need to be encouraged to play to their strengths and shore up their weaknesses.

Breaking news: Each individual is an individual.

An average Guild leader treats all players the same because most of the time it's easy. A good Guild leader works with individuals as individuals to bring out their strengths. A great guild leader works with individuals as individuals to bring out their strengths and assures all players understand and agree that each player has to be treated differently.

DeletedUser38091

Again I'm new here and don't know what I'm doing. If a guild has requirements such as a GE deadline or must have an Arc and Obs you can't make exceptions because a player is ranked #3 in the world but comes in late on GE and won't build an Obs.

DreadfulCadillac

Completely disagree.

Egalitarianism leads to rigid policy leads to players chafing.

A Guild is measured by it's best players. Those players are treasures and deserve every consideration, includung Rank Hath Its Priveleges. Or you can treat them the same way you do the deadweight at the bottom of the Guild I'll welcome them to my Guild and give them their due.

Contrariwise, new players have to be cherished, taught, nurtured. They can't be subject to the same rules, requirements, and expectations of established players.

Meanwhile he backbone of the Guild, the average players, the ones who have learned to play but still growing in capability, they need to be treated with a level of support that is different from the n00bs and All Stars. They need to be encouraged to play to their strengths and shore up their weaknesses.

Breaking news: Each individual is an individual.

An average Guild leader treats all players the same because most of the time it's easy. A good Guild leader works with individuals as individuals to bring out their strengths. A great guild leader works with individuals as individuals to bring out their strengths and assures all players understand and agree that each player has to be treated differently.
COMPLATLY AGREE @Algona :)

DreadfulCadillac

Again I'm new here and don't know what I'm doing. If a guild has requirements such as a GE deadline or must have an Arc and Obs you can't make exceptions because a player is ranked #3 in the world but comes in late on GE and won't build an Obs.
REREAD what he said carefullyand the 3rd person in your world may not have a obs.but they WILL have a arc.

DeletedUser38091

I also agree that players have to be handled differently. Some you have to take a stern approach, while others need a pat on the back. I have 5 kids. They are all different and need to be handled differently. I love them all the same though.

DeletedUser38091

I don't know how to put the one I'm responding to. If you'll REREAD what I wrote; if the guild requires an Arc and Obs and #3 refuses to build an Obs and misses the GE deadline, he's gotta go. Not fair to the others that busted their a$$ to build Obs and finish GE by Friday night.

DeletedUser38091

In my original post I should have wrote leaders shoud hold everyone to the same standards instead of writing they should treat everyone the same. My bad.

DreadfulCadillac

I don't know how to put the one I'm responding to. If you'll REREAD what I wrote; if the guild requires an Arc and Obs and #3 refuses to build an Obs and misses the GE deadline, he's gotta go. Not fair to the others that busted their a$$ to build Obs and finish GE by Friday night.
1000000 % true.i understand.however there are slim chances of this.but if it did happen i agree with ya.