• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter's SoK

• Thread starter DeletedUser27184
  • Start date

DeletedUser31440

I don't have any, used to have around 60 collected from events over the years, deleted them for room last year.
I thought I stacked them in my cape/inno/hagia/kraken/cdm/AO lol.

Yeah, for some reason I don't think you're lacking in the fp generation department.

qaccy

@gutmeister
I think I may understand what you're trying to say. Essentially, you can open presents today until you win an SoK (if you do), and then stop completely, which could be in as few as 10 stars. Your argument (I think) hinges on the fact that winning more beyond the first requires continuing to open presents until you reshuffle the board, right? I guess your stance (if I'm correct in my assumption) depends on whether someone only wants to win one SoK per day or as many as possible. A lot of luck is involved if you're looking to win more than one in a given day, so I think you have a point in that, factoring in having to find the reshuffle afterwards, one's stars may be better served opening presents today and then stocking up until they reappear on a subsequent day. I guess the answer may not be as clear-cut as I originally thought, because it depends entirely on luck in the end. If you just hit shuffle multiple times before finding the SoK, attempting with fewer stars is going to seem like a bad idea in hindsight.

DeletedUser31498

Qaccy youre right about the first part. The huge benefit is when you hit SoK early.

But the second part is where I think we aren't seeing it the same way. If you spend 100 stars and hit reshuffle, before hitting SoK, I don't view that as you being better off saving the stars. Why? because if the exact same thing happened next time, you are in the exact same spot as you are now. You have an open board, and can continue if you choose to. So while you're not happy using 100 stars, you're NOT worse off than saving them all for later, and having it happen then. BUT, you lose the possibility of the first part, as you said.

DeletedUser29055

Gutmeister, i can follow your argument if your point is to either hit a sok or reshuffle and then stop. Correct? B/c if younhit reshuffle and continue, then with less star you wont be able to clear the presents a second time. If this is the case, then yes, it doesnt matter to try now or when soks come around the second time.

Intried today, i had to open all presents. The last present was covered and i was out of stars. Oh well, 80 diamonds to buy 10 more stars and get a sok was okay :). I managed to do that bc the reshuffle was revealed with the two presents that got uncovered.

DeletedUser27184

If I understand gutmeister correctly he means to use the following tactic.

1/ open a present.
2/ If its SoK or Reshuffle. STOP.

3/ Otherwise, click another present. Go back to 2.

Optimally, you get SoK, and stop there. You don't have to continue to search for reshuffle, you just wait for the next time in the Winter Event that have a SoK.
If you got reshuffle, stop there. Sadly you didn't get anything, but that's the odds of the game.

As a side note: I tried this system. Got SoK on 3rd try. And now I stopped and waiting for the next time in the winter event with a SoK.

DeletedUser31498

jobu, YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. finally someone gets it lol.

you've restored my faith in humanity!!!!!

Right by doing it this way, you've saved all the stars in finding shuffle to get another attempt if you had waited. And if you hadn't hit reshuffle on the 8th attempt, let's say, youre in exactly the same spot as you would be if you saved them all and had that happen a few weeks from now.

THANKS AGAIN jobu!!!

DeletedUser31498

Gutmeister, i can follow your argument if your point is to either hit a sok or reshuffle and then stop. Correct? B/c if younhit reshuffle and continue, then with less star you wont be able to clear the presents a second time. If this is the case, then yes, it doesnt matter to try now or when soks come around the second time.

Intried today, i had to open all presents. The last present was covered and i was out of stars. Oh well, 80 diamonds to buy 10 more stars and get a sok was okay :). I managed to do that bc the reshuffle was revealed with the two presents that got uncovered.

exactly right. and man that's crazy luck it was the last one!

the one small difference, is that it does actually matter doing it now vs waiting, bc the times you DO hit the SoK early, you're so much better off, since you don't need to find the reshuffle to try again. Instead, you get a clean slate "for free" when the next SoK comes up :)

Algona

gutmeister has it right. qaccy figured it out in their last post, as did jobu.

since you don't need to find the reshuffle to try again.

This is the critical point in answering the original question of try for the SoK today or save the stars for the next time SoK is the Daily Prize..

Go for the SoK today. Good luck!

Hit SoK in one world the secobd present after 2x. Happy to get one, but soooo close to living the dream.

DeletedUser29055

I got it. I agree. You get one try today and save stars to find the reshuffle if you win a sok. If you hit reshuffle, then it was still worth a shot and no stars wasted.

Salsuero

I got it. I agree. You get one try today and save stars to find the reshuffle if you win a sok. If you hit reshuffle, then it was still worth a shot and no stars wasted.

My point was that having more stars means you wouldn't have had to spend diamonds to get your SoK. That's all. I will continue to save my stars and when the second time comes up, I'll spend them all. If you're lucky, which I said is possible, you can win one today. That's great. If you're not, and you don't have any diamonds, then you would have gotten down to the last present and been unable to win your SoK. But had that scenario happened next time, you would've had enough stars to keep going.

I'm not changing my vote because I still want more chances without spending diamonds and since this event game is based 100% on luck, I would rather have more stars to risk on that luck. In my opinion, the only "no stars wasted" scenario is the one where you spend stars and walk away with a SoK. I'm glad everyone got their SoK here. I guarantee many many more people did not... and it's no coincidence that they offered a diamond special today. Inno knows this as well.

Case in point: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/winter-2017.20768/page-7#post-173686

Take care everyone and enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Algona

since this event game is based 100% on luck,

Sorry, but I gotta pick this nit. There is no way to affect what is opened. But...

Players make decisions that do affect the results of the Event. What prizes to try for, whether to stop doing Quests, to go for the shuffle after winning the Daily Prize to try for a second Daily Prize, when/if tp spend Diamonds, how rto handle a revealed 2x...

The decision whether to go for the SoK today or wait is an example of how a player can influence the Event.

I suspect you already understand this Sal, but I want to make it perfectly clear to everyone who may not realize that there are some minor ways to influebce Winter Event results.

Unfortunately for the Winter Event, the dominant factors, and the causes of massive player frustration for every Winter Event, will continue to be luck and that damned shuffle button.

----------

An observation: A lot of players complain at every Event that the Event is luck based. Invariably they are also the ones who complain about bad results. They just don't understand that players who take some time, seek advice, and think things through put themselves in position to take advanttage of good luck.

Like Alvadora. Seems like Alvadora put themself in position to buy an SoK for 80 Diamonds. Seeing as how they'll be selling for 2500 Diamonds tomorrow, I say job well done, Alvadora.

Last edited:

Salsuero

Sorry, but I gotta pick this nit. There is no way to affect what is opened. But...

...the causes of massive player frustration for every Winter Event, will continue to be luck and that damned shuffle button.

I'm not exactly sure how you nitpicked... it is a luck-based event. No one can know what's in the next present you click. I'm genuinely stumped at what you were nitpicking about my statement.

An observation: A lot of players complain at every Event that the Event is luck based.

Just to be clear, because I'm not sure what this was meant to imply... but I couldn't care less that it's luck-based. I still win stuff. I wasn't complaining about it. I was referring to it as part of a broader point. So, hopefully you weren't getting that impression from me.

Like Alvadora. Seems like Alvadora put themself in position to buy an SoK for 80 Diamonds. Seeing as how they'll be selling for 2500 Diamonds tomorrow, I say job well done, Alvadora.

Ahhh, yes... but my point was that the original poster clearly indicated that he didn't want to spend diamonds. So my point was based on not spending diamonds. Alvadora was able to spend those diamonds. Not everyone will/can. That's why having more stars is simply better than having less of them. If you wanna spend diamonds, there's nothing wrong with that. I do not, and so for me, I'd rather go after the prize of choice with as many stars in my pocket as possible. ;)

DeletedUser27023

Had some diamonds to spend. I won’t do the play-by-play but here is the bottom line:

Diamonds spent: 4900
SoKs earned: 5
FPs earned: 75
20% Defender Boost: 4
30% Defender Boost: 3
Coiffeur: 5
Tobacco Plantation: 3

That takes into account all of the stars won and shuffles encountered. I had two very bad runs when I had to open EVERY present and the SoK was the last present. Pretty unlucky to happen twice.

DeletedUser27023

Only 2500 diamonds.....wow what a deal. Thanks Inno and Merry Christmas to you too.

DeletedUser27184

Had some diamonds to spend. I won’t do the play-by-play but here is the bottom line:

Diamonds spent: 4900
SoKs earned: 5
FPs earned: 75
20% Defender Boost: 4
30% Defender Boost: 3
Coiffeur: 5
Tobacco Plantation: 3

That takes into account all of the stars won and shuffles encountered. I had two very bad runs when I had to open EVERY present and the SoK was the last present. Pretty unlucky to happen twice.

On average your SoK cost 1000 diamond. Way less then the straight up payment by Inno. Good job.

Though, it raises another question, before the 2nd day of SoK comes -
Based on iAmArtemis, if I am ready to waste diamonds on this game. then - On average, how much diamond it will cost to get a SoK?

Cause if on average it is 1000 diamonds per SoK, and I am for the long game (lets say with 10k diamonds), its better to play the game.

Anyone have some mathematical answer to it?

DeletedUser

Qaccy youre right about the first part. The huge benefit is when you hit SoK early.

But the second part is where I think we aren't seeing it the same way. If you spend 100 stars and hit reshuffle, before hitting SoK, I don't view that as you being better off saving the stars. Why? because if the exact same thing happened next time, you are in the exact same spot as you are now. You have an open board, and can continue if you choose to. So while you're not happy using 100 stars, you're NOT worse off than saving them all for later, and having it happen then. BUT, you lose the possibility of the first part, as you said.
What?!? Of course you're better off saving your stars. Let's say you spend 100 stars now and hit reshuffle without getting the SoK, and you're now out of stars. If the exact same thing happens later, after you've saved up way more stars (it is a long event), you will still have stars left to keep trying! More chances is always better than fewer chances, no matter how you try to skew the math.

Salsuero

What?!? Of course you're better off saving your stars. Let's say you spend 100 stars now and hit reshuffle without getting the SoK, and you're now out of stars. If the exact same thing happens later, after you've saved up way more stars (it is a long event), you will still have stars left to keep trying! More chances is always better than fewer chances, no matter how you try to skew the math.

Don't bother. It won't work. :-/

DeletedUser27023

Don't bother. It won't work. :-/

Actually I think he’s softened a bit. It just took a lot of relies, lol. The reality is that provided they offer the SoK again, it makes much more sense to wait till you have more stars. With what people have earned so far, I think most people could get one and have some to spare but if trying for a 2nd one, you could likely run out before discovering another. Not sure if that matters though since the presents will be in the exact same position the next time the SoK comes up assuming you don’t open anything else.

@jobu523 I think 1k diamonds is a very reasonable expectation in this event. That comes out to about $8 per SoK. Not horrible but there have been better events. There is one thing to consider. Usually Inno offers diamonds together with stars at some point during the event. Sometimes twice but maybe only once this time. I’m hoping they offer it before the next SoK comes up which is why I didn’t go crazy trying to get the SoK the first time it showed. We’ll know in a couple of weeks.