• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

ATTENTION TO ALL

DreadfulCadillac

Forum ranking? Errors? What makes you think the existing system is wrong, or that one bit of it is "right"? Let's not waste time on something of interest to a tiny fraction of the Forum population, but if you must, see if you can get a dispensation from the mods and make an official proposal. Which we can then shoot down. :)

Move the Proposals section down to the extreme bottom of the entire Forum. Already mentioned, but this alone might help. As it is now it is an invitation to every "Joined Today" yahoo to jump in with their great idea.

I like the idea of having a "have you read the stickied thread" pop up appear when starting to make a proposal.

Maybe limit when a proposal can be made, i.e. None on day one of joining, none first week, etc. Or request a "pre-proposal" be made in Forge Hall before a formal proposal can be made. Something. I personally don't like the idea of having a mod having to approve each proposal before presentation; not necessary, and could create issues itself.

Yes, the one-line and other responses to proposals can get salty at times but are in reality very very mild in comparison with the truly insulting comments I've observed elsewhere. A post above describes this as spam and characterizes it as somehow mistreating the proposer. I disagree. The spam is coming from entitled, selfish narcissists who cannot be bothered to read the stickies or abide by Forum guidelines before making their proposals. Over and over again. They deserve what they get. But hopefully we can come up with some ideas to reduce the frequency of these and mitigate the impression some may form that the Forum is toxic. Because most of it truly is not. <sorry, stepping off soapbox>

I too would like a Night Mode, and a change in color/contrast (this scheme reminds me of what I saw last time I changed a diaper) ;)
YES WE NEED A DARK MODE INNO

Algona

I know knight and duke were not in the same class, but I would say the honour of being a knight , I.M.O.O., outweighs the privileges of being a duke/dutchess.

No. Dukes are powerful Royalty, while maybe not related and thus in line for the throne, directly below the King in rank. They wield the powers of Low, Middle, and High Justice over their substantial land holdings. History is replete with Dukes who held more territory then their Sovereigns.

An untitled (not a member of the Peerage) Knight is no where near that status.

A Duke mistreating a Knight was commonplace. A Knight mistreating a Duke was usually quickly dead, Royalty frowns upon rebellion.

All the more reason not to assign such titles with their historical ramifications to posters.

Lannister the Rich

Yes, the one-line and other responses to proposals can get salty at times but are in reality very very mild in comparison with the truly insulting comments I've observed elsewhere. A post above describes this as spam and characterizes it as somehow mistreating the proposer. I disagree. The spam is coming from entitled, selfish narcissists who cannot be bothered to read the stickies or abide by Forum guidelines before making their proposals. Over and over again. They deserve what they get. But hopefully we can come up with some ideas to reduce the frequency of these and mitigate the impression some may form that the Forum is toxic. Because most of it truly is not.
The very reason I joined the forums was because of the amount of posts I would read in the proposal sections that gave me the impression this forum is highly toxic. Because how much I love this game, I didn't want people to stop playing simply because of rude forum members, so I wanted to balance it out. I gave up on that idea long ago that I could do any balancing (I can't even stand on one leg very long). There are still a number of users on here that I can think of that seem to enjoy being rude for the sake of being rude. I'm not perfect, far from it. I know. But I do my best to not be rude to anyone unless I think they've been rude to me first.

I'm not attempting to call out any mod in particular at all. But I've reported several different posts in threads that I am pretty confident a mod had read and did nothing with until I had reported it. For all I know, that could very much so not be the case but has felt like it to me before. Unnecessary posts such as calling people idiots with hair brained ideas and what not, posting in all caps yelling at someone whose first post was that proposal are not the kind of posts welcoming to newcomers. (Hey, you asked for recommendations) The mods do a great job for the most part especially for how slammed they are, but I feel like some recurring sh**posters get away with it if they've been here a while.

DreadfulCadillac

The very reason I joined the forums was because of the amount of posts I would read in the proposal sections that gave me the impression this forum is highly toxic. Because how much I love this game, I didn't want people to stop playing simply because of rude forum members, so I wanted to balance it out. I gave up on that idea long ago that I could do any balancing (I can't even stand on one leg very long). There are still a number of users on here that I can think of that seem to enjoy being rude for the sake of being rude. I'm not perfect, far from it. I know. But I do my best to not be rude to anyone unless I think they've been rude to me first.

I'm not attempting to call out any mod in particular at all. But I've reported several different posts in threads that I am pretty confident a mod had read and did nothing with until I had reported it. For all I know, that could very much so not be the case but has felt like it to me before. Unnecessary posts such as calling people idiots with hair brained ideas and what not, posting in all caps yelling at someone whose first post was that proposal are not the kind of posts welcoming to newcomers. (Hey, you asked for recommendations) The mods do a great job for the most part especially for how slammed they are, but I feel like some recurring sh**posters get away with it if they've been here a while.
I try not to be rude always, but sometimes its hard..i generally feel the same way as you though.

Algona

I merely paired them because they both owned large amounts of land, yet were not as high as a king. I have now fixed this because of negative response.

'Tis a fine job of patching the leak in the f'c'sle while the bottom of the ship has been torn out stem to stern. Sorry, I already mixed you up more then once.

You're missing the big picture while getting distracted with the knight / duke thing.

Let me state this clearly:

Your idea is awful. In general and in detail. In detail first:

What part of calling people 'peasant' strikes you as a good idea?

King Algona? King Agent? King Captain Christian? These sound good to you? If I wanted to be more pretentious then I already am I woulda added King or some such silliness to my name.

Do you really want to give any person here more reason to lord it over other posters?

Hint: Guess where that phrase, 'lord it over'. came from. Why yes, the very same half millenium legacy of abuse of power inherent in those titles you want to use.

And that leads to the general problem:

The idea of changing poster titles that have any hint of a ranking system stinks

Even the vanilla gradation we have now causes misunderstandings and posters taking exception, anything stronger will have even more negative effects.

Get it?

Volodya

Back to the actual topic of this thread: I'd like to see the ability to edit comments greatly limited, say 15 minutes or a half hour instead of the present system which is limited only by the heat death of the universe.

DevaCat

Back to the actual topic of this thread: I'd like to see the ability to edit comments greatly limited, say 15 minutes or a half hour instead of the present system which is limited only by the heat death of the universe.
Not critical, but curious. Do you see editing being a problem, and are you referring to the author's edits?

Volodya

Not critical, but curious. Do you see editing being a problem, and are you referring to the author's edits?
I do see it being a problem. I know for sure that certain users here have effectively changed history by drastically editing their posts. I won't name names, both on general principles of courtesy and because by definition my "accusation" couldn't be demonstrated.

DevaCat

I do see it being a problem. I know for sure that certain users here have effectively changed history by drastically editing their posts. I won't name names, both on general principles of courtesy and because by definition my "accusation" couldn't be demonstrated.
Ahh, I see. I can think of at least 3 who like revisionist histories lol, and it's hard to have evidence of it unless you happened to have captured the passages in question. But over time it's pretty clear who is doing it. Thing is, wouldn't limiting editing create more problems than it solves?

Short term case, I make a post and misspell a word or commit a grammatical blunder. Trivial, yes, but irritating to me. I go back to edit it and it's past that 24-hr cutoff. It's now a boil on my backside each time I see it.

Long term case. Someone posts in a thread dedicated to safely working around a gotcha point on the cmap, and has gotten only to a certain point. Takes a month or more to discover a safer route to avoid sure disaster for anyone following the original post. Can't go back and edit it? Sure, one could make a new post with the new info, but that old post is still there, a trap for the unwary or careless reader.

There will always be those who misuse their freedom, but the solution isn't to limit freedom.

DeletedUser

That would pose lots of problems with guides and such, where the information is frequently edited to be up to date.
I think this is a great idea, and maybe the exception could be that a post could be opened for editing by request to a member of the moderating staff. I don't know if that's technically possible, but that would be one way to handle it.

Nothing worse than these posts/threads/thread titles that are "deleted" by the OP and replaced with some ridiculous title or content, sometimes only one word, leaving the ordinary Forum member wondering what had been removed.

Algona

^This, all day long. I am opposed to any limit on editing forum posts.

Agreed.

If a person is a big enough douche to try to change their history of positing, we already know they are a big douche.

Contrariwise, I've posted some seriously stupid advice and wandered off only to realize when I came back and was told that it was seriously stupid advice.

Posting aa separate post and editing the original mistake help assure that my stupid advice is not acted on.

Asking mods for permission to edit a Guide? We need Guides as up to date and accurate as possible. Placing any hindrance on maintaining a guide is an awful idea.

----------

There will always be those who misuse their freedom, but the solution isn't to limit freedom.

I keep thinking about that. And I keep thinking about this forum rule:

- Players who deliberately act against the building of the community will be denied access to these forums.

And I wonder how effective changing the forum layout will be for making this a better, more enjoyable, and useful resource as long as that rule continues to be unenforced.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a forum makeover.

But as long as we have posters (including me!) who can crap on anyone at any time with no penalty whatsoever then this forum will continue to accrue the justifiable reputation of being a mean place.

I can't understand why any poster is allowed to break forum rules on a daily basis for years and berate, beluttle, nitpick, imsult, harass in over 90% of their thousands of posts.

Or how this forum can do anything but continue to become more hostile.as long as such continues.