• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser28446

CR I was wondering, and if I missed it I apologise. how many "scouting territories" are available per age? Why I ask is because with this recent even, I'm on the 2nd wave of it, and i am at the part asking me to scout a territory and I have no more available to do so.

DeletedUser23444

CR I was wondering, and if I missed it I apologise. how many "scouting territories" are available per age? Why I ask is because with this recent even, I'm on the 2nd wave of it, and i am at the part asking me to scout a territory and I have no more available to do so.

I don't have a count on this. You can study the different C Maps Revealed, and compare where you are to what is left.

IMO, I would not waste a tech or a province trying to chase down the complete Cherry Garden set, it is rare to score the entire set, and as individual buildings, they all suck. None of the set buildings are very efficient with their base benefits, and they must be arranged in a specific layout of 5 unique set buildings in a 5 x 5 plot of land that requires 2 different 1-lane road connections on either side, in order for the buildings to achieve their maximum efficiency, which still isn't very remarkable for the land they consume compared to other options we have in the game. And on top of all of this, none of them can be motivated or polished, which means we cannot buff their efficiency that way, nor can we protect them from plunder. They are just Plunder Bait.

Even the entire set isn't very valuable to a Heavy Quester, because we can produce a comparable total value per tile of land consumed, through CF-enhanced quest rewards in an age like CA or HMA. And our Quest rewards have a 0% chance of being plundered.

The set would only be valuable to a higher era player who either has a very good city defense, or who always collects their city on time, and thus never gets plundered. And even then, for that player to keep the set around in their city, would mean we would need to spend 5 renovation or 1-up kits to keep the entire set relatively efficient, compared to other current period building options as that player progressed through the game. No thank you.

The most important thing for lower age players (LMA and below) to score in this event are 2 Champ Retreats: 1 you can lock to HMA and 1 to lock to LMA. And in order to do that, you must score them in the correct age, or you can score them in an earlier age and then use a 1-up kit or a Reno kit to lock them to the correct age as you move up. However once you progress past either age, then you cannot score a retreat locked to an earlier age.

The other prizes worth scoring: Rogue Hideouts, 1-Up/Reno/Storage Kits, and Wishing Wells, and SoKs, will all appear again in the Summer Event. This game has 4 seasonal events per year, plus smaller events in between, plus GE. So while we want to score many of these prizes, we will have many opportunities to do so. And between now and the Summer event, your situation is likely to change.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28446

Thx for the feedback but just be clear I wasn't chasing these buildings. They do suck . I was only asking for when a event is worth doing to get the rewards.

DeletedUser28286

Below, I've listed all of the multi-production buildings, in the order that they were added to FoE.
  1. The Bazaar ...
  2. The Mad Scientist Lab ...
  3. The Soccer Field ...
  4. The Luau ...
  5. The Aviary ...
  6. The Masquerade Ball ...
  7. The Terrace Farm ...

Good day everyone, I abbreviated the above quote to just include the names of the multi-production buildings you listed off so that my reply didn't take up half the page. Anyway, I believe a building has been left off this list, and that is Santa's Workshop that was recently introduced in the 2016 winter holiday event. My understanding of a multi-production building is that it can produce more than one resource such as coins and supplies and goods and medals, etc, rather than just an increasing amount of supplies over time, depending on the length of production time selected. Santa's Workshop does just that. It also provides some small happiness like some of the other multi-production buildings you mentioned. I recently stored it in my inventory because it was age locked in Iron Age, I haven't scored any one up kits or reno kits in the events since to keep it relevant, and the 10 goods every 24 hours simply wasn't efficient relative to the buildings size. It also wasn't necessary once I hit HMA and didn't need the IA goods to negotiate GE anymore. If my understanding of multi-production buildings is wrong and Santa's Workshop does not actually belong on this list, my apologies, but I thought it was worth mentioning so that if I am correct this guide can be updated to stay fully accurate and comprehensive. Keep up the good work CR, this guide is fantastic and I'm constantly checking back for updates :)

Cheers,
Skye

DeletedUser23444

I believe a building has been left off this list, and that is Santa's Workshop that was recently introduced in the 2016 winter holiday event.

Yep, I seem to have forgotten about St. Nick. I'll add him to the list eventually.

My understanding of a multi-production building is that it can produce more than one resource such as coins and supplies and goods and medals... rather than just an increasing amount of supplies over time, depending on the length of production time selected.

As this sentence is worded here, it reads incorrectly. A multi-production can only produce 1 resource at-a-time. However, each such building offers 6 different production intervals (5 mins, 15 mins, 1 hr, 4 hrs, 8 hrs, and 24 hrs) and each multi-production building has a different combination of resource options that correspond to each of the 6 different production intervals. But we can only run a single production interval at the same time so it is a case of "Produce Resource A or Produce Resource B" and not a case of "Produce Resource A and Produce Resource B". Some of the buildings go overboard on the coins and supplies options, and add less variety of different resources they can produce. In fact, one of these buildings offers three different options just to produce supplies and a 4th option is coins; that only leaves two options that are not supplies or coins. Not all of these buildings can produce goods. Not all of these buildings can produce medals. Only one them can produce crowns.

DeletedUser28994

Cosmic Raven,

I'm laughing right now at how many times my mind has been blown by reading your HQS guide. I join some of the others in saying thank you for taking the time to give back to the FoE community. I start playing this game 5 weeks ago. I'm at the end of EMA and will be heading to HMA with a new strategy. One of your HQS followers that happens to be in my guild turned me on to this strategy after I looked at her city and said "Why the hell would you have all those Alchemists?". :) I'm very excited about this.

One question if you don't mind. What are your thoughts about the new Cherry garden set. For a 5x5 space, does it produce efficiently enough to be HQS certified? My guess is no, but maybe in higher ages.

Again thank you and your friends that helped develop this strategy.

Let the metamorphosis begin...

NLK

yochananmichael

Cosmic Raven,

I'm laughing right now at how many times my mind has been blown by reading your HQS guide. I join some of the others in saying thank you for taking the time to give back to the FoE community. I start playing this game 5 weeks ago. I'm at the end of EMA and will be heading to HMA with a new strategy. One of your HQS followers that happens to be in my guild turned me on to this strategy after I looked at her city and said "Why the hell would you have all those Alchemists?". :) I'm very excited about this.

One question if you don't mind. What are your thoughts about the new Cherry garden set. For a 5x5 space, does it produce efficiently enough to be HQS certified? My guess is no, but maybe in higher ages.

NLK

The short answer is no it is not good for HQS for many different reasons but CR can expand on why. CR has gone into depth in our guild why the Cherry Garden set is not as good as it appears on the surface and its HIGHLY UNLIKELY that anyone will actually get all parts of the set. Not to mention because it has to be placed exactly it is not efficient for the space it must occupy and there are better buildings for the heavy quester to use than the Cherry Garden set.

Algona

its HIGHLY UNLIKELY that anyone will actually get all parts of the set.

Wrong.

Unless by 'HIGHLY UNLIKELY' you mean, 'I didn't get it, so no one else should try.'

Completing both Quest lines and opening only small chests only on days where 1 of the 2 needed prizes were available gives over 50% chance to collect the set. Sift through the Feedback thread for the math.

Anecdotally: Some folk posting in the Feedback thread got there. 3 of 5 of the top members of my Guild got there. Random 5 friends, 1 in 5 got there. Random 5 Neighbors, 0 of 5 got there.

Note well, I'm not disagreeing with any other part of your post, just the quoted statement.

Last edited:

DeletedUser25273

Algona, I think the thought was that it isn't worth really going for, so therefore people are unlikely to get all the pieces (unless you paid enough to get them as grand prizes). I would say that anecdotally a large percentage of the people I know got them, I know that I went 4/4 on getting all the pieces. No idea how many of them spent diamonds or how much.

DeletedUser27184

Wrong.
Completing both Quest lines and opening only small chests only on days where 1 of the 2 needed prizes were available gives over 50% chance to collect the set. Sift through the Feedback thread for the math.

That's true if you know about it at the first days. I, for example, went after the gold chest at first, till I found this piece of advice only a few days ago.

I think that 4 pieces should be quite easy to get. The 5th is a bit harder.

DeletedUser28768

Cosmic Raven,

NLK

NLK, on post #202 CR writes what he thinks of the Cherry garden.

DeletedUser26965

The fact remains that players following the HQS will advance in the game faster than other players. And in this statement total game progress is a combination of total GB levels + total Tech levels

How do you know that? You have to try other ways of playing to know. You seem like a nice and helpful person but seem to also get rather touchy when it comes to your gameplay style and say some things that don't make much sense to me. I mean so what if I get to AF with a bunch of under-powered GB's, that does not necessarily translate into "little more than a waste of land and construction goods". Also advancing quickly can have its benefits as opposed to hanging out in ages for extended periods of time and does not mean people are doing it to be great or because they're drug addicted, it just all depends on what they want out of the game, what fits with the guild they're in and what's going on at the time.

Look, in the end I don't think there's an argument against this type of playstyle over another, I'm even going to try it on Xyr in CA, because it's all dependent on other factors like I mentioned. I could come up with some thoughts that seem to go against doing it but what would be the point, people will play how they like.

And yes, I'm in AF with a bunch of under-powered GB's;)...but I can also make goods and units for the guild from AF on down, what can a guy sitting in CA for months do:p I went from the beginning of PE to the end of TE in 90 days.

DeletedUser23444

How do you know that? You have to try other ways of playing to know.

That's really easy start the game same day as another player who still plays, and then look at each other's city by the time you both reach the same age at the same time and count the total GB levels.

GB Levels + Tech Levels = Total FPs spent wisely

Total FPs spent wisely = Function of Total FPs produced (by any and all means)

The only way a non-HQS player can consistently outproduce FPs, across the same number of day of active game play, is to spend lots of money on special events and use those diamonds for event currency on days those events offer players a chance to score SoKs.

DeletedUser28015

How do you know that? You have to try other ways of playing to know.

So you're saying that no one has ever tried other ways of playing than CR's way? Because that's the implication of your statement ... either that, or it's impossible to observe any player's city other than one's own, and it's impossible to converse with anyone else on the subject.

DeletedUser26965

So you're saying that no one has ever tried other ways of playing than CR's way? Because that's the implication of your statement ... either that, or it's impossible to observe any player's city other than one's own, and it's impossible to converse with anyone else on the subject.
Huh? I'm asking how CR can be so definite that this playstyle "will advance in the game faster than other players". Sure we can talk about it but until you analyze the actual numbers of what's going on it's all just kind of conjecture. Just looking at someones city doesn't really tell you anything as some people simply play more often than others.

If it's merely a question of speed to a certain checkpoint, and or any other added variables like GB levels, then you also need another measure like how many hours of game time played within that same period.

DeletedUser

Thx for the feedback but just be clear I wasn't chasing these buildings. They do suck . I was only asking for when a event is worth doing to get the rewards.
You have to remember that Cosmic Raven's answer will be from the perspective of someone using the Heavy Questing strategy of gameplay. Almost all good players I know of that don't subscribe to this way of playing will tell you that the Cherry Garden set is a very good thing to have.

Algona

That's true if you know about it at the first days.

You're right, but that has nothing to do with my post. I'll address it anyway. :D Next time we get something similar maybe we'll all do a little analysis and make the right decision instead of plunging in and reducing our chances? HAHAHAHAHAH. Doubtful. Crap, this is yet another Event I've let my enthusiasm get ahead of thinking.

But our collective ignorance doesn't change the fact that INNO set this up to be winnable.

My point was the part of the post I quoted said it was highly unlikely that anyone get the complete set.

Which is easily demonstrated as wrong with a few minutes math or a few minutes looking at the results.

Highly unlikely for anyone? Out of tens of thousands of players it's highly unlike that anyone get a set?

Really?

Maybe they miss typed and instead of 'anyone' meant to say 'any given player'. That significantly changes the meaning of the quote from obviously and verifiably wrong to at best ambiguous depending on what exactly HIGHLY UNLIKELY means.

I, for example, went after the gold chest at first, till I found this piece of advice only a few days ago.

Again not my point, again, I'll respond, Heh. Same here, I kept popping Gold Chests through the third day, and made the further mistake of chasing the SoK Daily Prize on the second day. And I still got there on the third day.

I'll say it again, while I think CR and yohananmichel are wrong on their estimates of the difficulty of getting the set, I have no opinion about the usefulness of the set for purposes of Heavy Questing. I happily yield to CR as the expert in the field.

Last edited:

DeletedUser27184

Huh? I'm asking how CR can be so definite that this playstyle "will advance in the game faster than other players". Sure we can talk about it but until you analyze the actual numbers of what's going on it's all just kind of conjecture.

I agree that with out total analyzing you wouldn't know for sure which system is best. But in life you need to decide without total knowledge. Therefore you use guidelines:

The reason (as I read it) that CR thinks that his system is the fastest, is that it gives you EXTRA FP's over any other system you use that don't include $$$.
For example a known system to get extra money includes - Turn gold to FP. Thats works great at the beginning then after 1000 FP you get stuck advancing very slowly.

But CR shows a way to get MORE FP's from a new untapped source within the game. That's the main point (IMHO).

So, CR system include all this tricks to make up more FP, and then he add ANOTHER layer of getting FP's due to recurring quests.

Zotbot said:
It's the other way around. Everyone play as they play everyday, then CR bring a NEW way to play and compare it to the exiting ways.

DeletedUser27184

CR - Two questions, if I may:
I am in Modern Era. I got 49 Hatters and 4 Suburban Houses.
I find that I don't have enough gold. While I earn about 1M supplies a day, I am low on gold all the time. I hold the half a million gold as a mark, and I can do about 7-8 of the UBQ a day. For a total of 17-18 quests per day (not including special from time to time, like the other quests when applicable).

Is that reasonable? Low consistent gold income?
And are this amount of quests is reasonable for Modern Era?