• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser28286

Hi All - Does anyone have an HQS city plan they are proud of in HMA? I'm preparing to move to HMA and am looking for good city plans. If no one does, that's fine. CR gave good pointers on how to build a great HQS city.

Thanks in advance,
NLK

After Rearranging my city three times, this is what my current city looks like (Courtesy of foemanager.com).
HMA buildings.png

I'm not sure if others would consider it "good", but it's working out pretty well for me. I have 12 unused tiles right now. My normal buildings include 57 alchemists (28 quests + an extra in case of a mis-click), 23 town houses (combined with collections from special & GB I complete about 5 "collect coins" quests), one landlocked hut (I had only needed 15 pop for my last alchemist and I didn't want a surplus of about 100 with another HMA residential, and the hut was much cheaper as well.), two trebuchets to get me through the first few fights in GE, and one Herb merchant that I used to keep trades going back when I still only got 5 goods for quest rewards. Special buildings include 3 SoK, one checkmate square, one Kiosk (locked to EMA, haven't scored any one up or reno kits yet), and two victory towers(fillers for 1x1 open spaces). GB levels are: Arc - 5, LoA - 5, StM - 2 (working on it), Hagia - 5, CoA - 5, Chateau - 6. I have all prints for CdM and Traz, and am working toward prints on Inno.

I've been thinking of getting rid of one of my trebuchet buildings because I have a bunch of unattached now from playing GE. The herb merchant might go as well now that my Chateau is getting me double the goods rewards. Both would free up pop and space to add more alchemists, and I could get rid of some residentials to free up even more space for alchemists. Assuming I went with this plan, once I got my StM up to level 5 I'd delete any necessary alchemists to put down the CdM. When I've saved up for the jump to CA and my GB are mostly around level 7 I'd jump to CA (with about a two week stay over in LMA for diamonds), expand a total of 9 times, put down Traz, level it maybe once or twice, and by then I'd have prints for Inno too.

I know the way I have expanded looks odd and one might think I should have done it differently to allow for better use of space, but I have it planned out so that by the time I use all the diamond/tech expansions on my way up to CA (4 diamond, 5 tech, 5+ saved for later in HMA, LMA, and CA tech) it will fill up the row containing my LoA behind my alchemists(6 of the 9 expansions) plus three more of the next row containing my herb merchant. This should square out my city, and my plan for CA in foemanager is looking pretty good this way.

DeletedUser28768

Hi All - Does anyone have an HQS city plan they are proud of in HMA? I'm preparing to move to HMA and am looking for good city plans. If no one does, that's fine. CR gave good pointers on how to build a great HQS city.

Thanks in advance,
NLK

NLK, if you have foemanager you can view my city using the following code: E3DIK1JE4X. I have 64 alchemists. I'll be getting rid of the extra town houses and adding more alchemist in the near future.

Castleruck
-Odhrorvar-

DeletedUser28994

Thank you Skye and CastleRuck! Appreciate the responses. For some reason, the foemanager doesn't work for me. I registered and every time I try to launch the city planner nothing happens (the buffering symbol in the middle of the page just keeps spinning).

CastleRuck, if your willing to take a screenshot and post here I would love to look at your city. If not no worries at all.

Thanks again,
NLK

DeletedUser28768

Thank you Skye and CastleRuck! Appreciate the responses. For some reason, the foemanager doesn't work for me. I registered and every time I try to launch the city planner nothing happens (the buffering symbol in the middle of the page just keeps spinning).

CastleRuck, if your willing to take a screenshot and post here I would love to look at your city. If not no worries at all.

Thanks again,
NLK

NLK,

I was able to attach it. Hope it helps. A city design is always a work in progress. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 7.21.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 7.21.35 PM.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 105

DeletedUser28711

I'm attaching my HMA city plan too.
Greifental 2017-04-18.jpg

62 Alchemist
20 Town Houses
3 Renaissance Villas
1 Masquerade Ball
1 Checkmate Square
1 Kiosk
1 SoK
CF lvl 5
CdM lvl 3
StM lvl 5
Hagia lvl 5
LoA lvl 5
11 empties

I could get rid of 6 Town Houses & add 4 Alchemist, but I’d be about even with being able to complete 2 quest based on my collection cycles. Besides, I need to save up a ton of coins for the sprint to LMA for diamonds & then the push to Clockmakers with some left over as I keep changing my plans.

As for the Masquerade Ball, I know that the multi-production buildings are frowned upon until later periods, but the 15 minute & 1 hour coin productions help me complete a couple Collect Coins quests that I wouldn’t otherwise be able to complete.

DeletedUser26965

with this city:
http://prntscr.com/eycqo6
I can make 2k goods/75m coins/50m supply/50-80fp/100k medals/loads of bp/diamond is only once then it turned to medal.

I'm wondering about your fp number though, isn't it 45 quests? 270 blacksmiths/6=45, 6% of 45 is 3 med fp packs so 15fp from that mind numbing collection lol, where's the other 35-65?

*Arturis*

I'm wondering about your fp number though, isn't it 45 quests? 270 blacksmiths/6=45, 6% of 45 is 3 med fp packs so 15fp from that mind numbing collection lol, where's the other 35-65?
/2 cuz collecting 6 you get 3 same quests done at once, also I have 2x collect on coin(1.7m) and supply(1.5m) with level 123 CF, so around 150+ quest done/day, not counting the 134fp quest done here and there during the day donating to others gbs.
http://prntscr.com/et838b

Last edited:

DeletedUser23444

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23444

After Rearranging my city three times, this is what my current city looks like (Courtesy of foemanager.com).
View attachment 3646

I'm not sure if others would consider it "good" ...

I know the way I have expanded looks odd and one might think I should have done it differently to allow for better use of space, but I have it planned out so that by the time I use all the diamond/tech expansions on my way up to CA (4 diamond, 5 tech, 5+ saved for later in HMA, LMA, and CA tech) it will fill up the row containing my LoA behind my alchemists(6 of the 9 expansions) plus three more of the next row containing my herb merchant. This should square out my city, and my plan for CA in foemanager is looking pretty good this way.

Notes below

I was able to attach it. Hope it helps. A city design is always a work in progress. :)

Notes below

I'm attaching my HMA city plan too.
View attachment 3648

As for the Masquerade Ball, I know that the multi-production buildings are frowned upon until later periods, but the 15 minute & 1 hour coin productions help me complete a couple Collect Coins quests that I wouldn’t otherwise be able to complete.

Notes below

@Everyone
  1. Never expand your city into the Wilderness where Skye has placed The Arc in the quoted post. Expanding into this western jut-out area is going to cause city design nightmares in any period named "an era". The game currently has dozens more places for us to expand into the wilderness than there are actually land expansions available to expand with. So it is actually quite easy now to keep our city as square as possible, for as long as possible, which will always provide the greatest design flexibility.

2. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever (and I mean never, ever, ever, ever, ever, forever, and ever, amen) run roads along the edge of your city (meaning your city is on one side of the road and unexpanded wilderness is on the other side) like you see in a few of these city plans! Doing this will needlessly waste a lot more tiles of land on roads than is actually required. If you cannot place buildings along both sides of each and every road segment in your city, then you need to go back to the drawing board and start your city plan over. Never stay married to your existing road layout. You should always start each new city plan with completely empty land and try to come up an efficient road layout that does not waste land.

3. Using Multi-production buildings for coins production is always a complete waste of land, HQS or no HQS. We always want all of our buildings that produce coins and supplies to be both motivated (multi-production buildings can never be motivated) and also buffed my a coins production bonus from StM or a supplies production bonus from LoA as applicable. If you really need more coins production to complete a quest then sell off the inefficient multi-production buildings (which cost a city population) and construct a few more regular houses that produce more coins, but provide less population. Also the current event will permit you to score a King Statue (not to be confused with The King) and a Queen Statue (not to be confused with The Queen), which might help take care of any coins production capacity issues you have.

DeletedUser27184

Randy was able to connect 3 very large GBs that everyone should eventually construct in CA (Trz, HS, and StM) to his Town Hall in a single 1-lane road segment that actually lines up well with how we would layout horizontal streets of Clockmakers.
It is just brilliant how he put 4 hugh buildings around 1 road. Its so simple its just brilliant.

DeletedUser28711

Notes below
@Everyone
  1. Never expand your city into the Wilderness where Skye has placed The Arc in the quoted post. Expanding into this western jut-out area is going to cause city design nightmares in any period named "an era". The game currently has dozens more places for us to expand into the wilderness than there are actually land expansions available to expand with. So it is actually quite easy now to keep our city as square as possible, for as long as possible, which will always provide the greatest design flexibility.

2. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever (and I mean never, ever, ever, ever, ever, forever, and ever, amen) run roads along the edge of your city (meaning your city is on one side of the road and unexpanded wilderness is on the other side) like you see in a few of these city plans! Doing this will needlessly waste a lot more tiles of land on roads than is actually required. If you cannot place buildings along both sides of each and every road segment in your city, then you need to go back to the drawing board and start your city plan over. Never stay married to your existing road layout. You should always start each new city plan with completely empty land and try to come up an efficient road layout that does not waste land.

3. Using Multi-production buildings for coins production is always a complete waste of land, HQS or no HQS. We always want all of our buildings that produce coins and supplies to be both motivated (multi-production buildings can never be motivated) and also buffed my a coins production bonus from StM or a supplies production bonus from LoA as applicable. If you really need more coins production to complete a quest then sell off the inefficient multi-production buildings (which cost a city population) and construct a few more regular houses that produce more coins, but provide less population. Also the current event will permit you to score a King and Queen, which should help take care of any coins production capacity issues you have.
Thank you for the feedback CR! I'll try to score those new King & Queen statues & look into redesigning my city based on your notes here & in the new section.

DeletedUser23444

Soviet Union Era cities. Just blocks and blocks, have fun with game and a little creativity, jeesh

In case you were not aware, FoE stands for "Forge of Empires", not "Fashion of Empires". Winning at warfare isn't at all about whose city looks the prettiest; rather it's about "who can get there (to the battle field) the fastest with the mostest" and "hittin' 'em where dey ain't". And using the Soviet Union is actually not a good comparison at all, since Heavy Questers are some of the most devout and most greediest capitalists you will find in FoE. We design our cities to get PAID.

DeletedUser23444

It is just brilliant how he put 4 hugh buildings around 1 road. Its so simple its just brilliant.

I am hands down the best overall city designer in my guild (not just for HQS cities), and even I never came up with Randy's little trick there. I've came up with a version of it up in FE but nothing as elegant as what Randy has done — those are MASSIVE GBs to connect by a single road tile.

But this helps illustrate why the HQS is what it is today. I can never take credit for all of the ideas in it, as many of my guild members have added pages to our playbook. And make no mistake about this, I will use all the brains I have and all those I can borrow or pick. Mmmmmmm....braaaains! :rolleyes:

DeletedUser23444

with this city:
http://prntscr.com/eycqo6
I can make 2k goods/75m coins/50m supply/50-80fp/100k medals/loads of bp/diamond is only once then it turned to medal.

Brillant! I swear that is so broken. Every time I think about this city, I can imagine a conversation on the design team, where some supervisor goes: "You let them do what?!"

Why anyone would every use conventional goods production in OFE is beyond me.

Q: Hey when you get some time, can you post these specific amounts I list below for OFE when you next see them? Also please give me your CF % bonus as well so I can reverse the math to get the base packages.

1. Cost of 1 UBQ (pay the Jester coins + Supplies)
  2. Collect N Coins
  3. Collect N Supplies
  4. Spend N FPs
  5. Size of medals package
  6. Size of small coins package
  7. Size of small supplies package
  8. Size of large coins package
  9. Size of large supplies package
I like to keep these numbers on hand in Excel for analysis, so it would be a big help.

DeletedUser23444

But it isn't conventional goods production. Didn't you stop to wonder what was all about?

I think you misunderstood my remark. I know the linked picture isn't conventional goods production. My remark was why would a player ever choose to construct conventional goods production buildings in OFE? Because using a field that Blacksmiths is going to be so much cheaper in terms of: land, population, offsetting happiness, and the total production costs for producing goods.

I get what using the Blacksmiths in OFE are about. I just can't believe that Inno Games added a recurring quest that is simply produce 6 x any 24 hour productions from any building, which includes: any multi-production (supplies) building, any premium supplies production building, any special supplies production building, or even a regular supplies building well below your current age like BA Blacksmiths.

By doing this, any knowledgeable player is going to skip ever constructing goods production buildings; especially if the own a level umpteeny and umpteen CF.

DeletedUser28015

I think you misunderstood my remark.

You're right, I totally did, and not because it was unclear or ambiguous: there are things you wrote that I'm the one who obviously didn't stop to think about. My sincere apologies.