• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser28711

CR, thanks for the city plan samples.

In the HMA sample, shouldn't the Victory Towers be behind the Crossbow Range so it can touch the road?

*Arturis*

Brillant! I swear that is so broken. Every time I think about this city, I can imagine a conversation on the design team, where some supervisor goes: "You let them do what?!"

Why anyone would every use conventional goods production in OFE is beyond me.

Q: Hey when you get some time, can you post these specific amounts I list below for OFE when you next see them? Also please give me your CF % bonus as well so I can reverse the math to get the base packages.

1. Cost of 1 UBQ (pay the Jester coins + Supplies)
  2. Collect N Coins
  3. Collect N Supplies
  4. Spend N FPs
  5. Size of medals package
  6. Size of small coins package
  7. Size of small supplies package
  8. Size of large coins package
  9. Size of large supplies package
I like to keep these numbers on hand in Excel for analysis, so it would be a big help.

CF bonus is at 715% so you time base prize by a factor of 8.15
  1. Cost of 1 UBQ (pay the Jester coins + Supplies): 500k/500k
  2. Collect N Coins: 1m coins
  3. Collect N Supplies: 1.5m supply
  4. Spend N FPs: 139fp
  5. Size of medals package: 10,595 medals
  6. Size of small coins package: 570,500 coins
  7. Size of small supplies package: 529,750 supply
  8. Size of large coins package: 1,793,000 coins
  9. Size of large supplies package: 1,630,000 supply

DeletedUser28015

Victory towers do not require a road

That's not what he said:

In the HMA sample, shouldn't the Victory Towers be behind the Crossbow Range so it can touch the road?

He's right. Moving them would require temporarily deleting some roadway, but is easily done. And on that score, there's also an extra square of road next to the Knight's Stable and SoK that could be replaced with a Victory Tower or other 1x1.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28698

After Rearranging my city three times, this is what my current city looks like (Courtesy of foemanager.com).
View attachment 3646

I'm not sure if others would consider it "good", but it's working out pretty well for me. I have 12 unused tiles right now. My normal buildings include 57 alchemists (28 quests + an extra in case of a mis-click), 23 town houses (combined with collections from special & GB I complete about 5 "collect coins" quests), one landlocked hut (I had only needed 15 pop for my last alchemist and I didn't want a surplus of about 100 with another HMA residential, and the hut was much cheaper as well.), two trebuchets to get me through the first few fights in GE, and one Herb merchant that I used to keep trades going back when I still only got 5 goods for quest rewards. Special buildings include 3 SoK, one checkmate square, one Kiosk (locked to EMA, haven't scored any one up or reno kits yet), and two victory towers(fillers for 1x1 open spaces). GB levels are: Arc - 5, LoA - 5, StM - 2 (working on it), Hagia - 5, CoA - 5, Chateau - 6. I have all prints for CdM and Traz, and am working toward prints on Inno.

I've been thinking of getting rid of one of my trebuchet buildings because I have a bunch of unattached now from playing GE. The herb merchant might go as well now that my Chateau is getting me double the goods rewards. Both would free up pop and space to add more alchemists, and I could get rid of some residentials to free up even more space for alchemists. Assuming I went with this plan, once I got my StM up to level 5 I'd delete any necessary alchemists to put down the CdM. When I've saved up for the jump to CA and my GB are mostly around level 7 I'd jump to CA (with about a two week stay over in LMA for diamonds), expand a total of 9 times, put down Traz, level it maybe once or twice, and by then I'd have prints for Inno too.

I know the way I have expanded looks odd and one might think I should have done it differently to allow for better use of space, but I have it planned out so that by the time I use all the diamond/tech expansions on my way up to CA (4 diamond, 5 tech, 5+ saved for later in HMA, LMA, and CA tech) it will fill up the row containing my LoA behind my alchemists(6 of the 9 expansions) plus three more of the next row containing my herb merchant. This should square out my city, and my plan for CA in foemanager is looking pretty good this way.
What on gods green Earth possessed you to expand where you put your arc? /you have a buttload of wasted space because of that mistake alone. Never mind the buildings that can be plundered like goods buildings.. When I was in HMA and learned about questing I had 86 alchemists was doing over 50 loops a day. with coin supplies and spend FP. Also, Trebs are a waste of space since doing G.E gives trebs and bows. I had only 1 Heavy infantry and 1 Knight stable. G.E, Gave me everything else. I am an avid HMA GvG fighter and always finished G.E stage 3, with no negotiation. Only mid-stage 4 did I ever negotiate. CR is right, never run roads along side edge of city. Always want buildings on both sides of roads. Another tip, the larger buildings (GBs and military etc..) you want only to touch road with 1 tile. try to use them where the road ends at them or the roads corners 90 there and only corner of building touches road. Also lose the multi-productions buildings.. they take up to much room and can all be plundered. So can goods buildings. I love attacking hoodies cities with 3 bazaars a soccer field and masquerade ball (Free FP every time).

DeletedUser25166

In case you were not aware, FoE stands for "Forge of Empires", not "Fashion of Empires". Winning at warfare isn't at all about whose city looks the prettiest; rather it's about "who can get there (to the battle field) the fastest with the mostest" and "hittin' 'em where dey ain't". And using the Soviet Union is actually not a good comparison at all, since Heavy Questers are some of the most devout and most greediest capitalists you will find in FoE. We design our cities to get PAID.
I get to the battlefield the fastest and would win every time against you Alchemist field players. Just saying. The Soviet reference was how they designed their cities, just drab blocks.

DeletedUser28286

What on gods green Earth possessed you to expand where you put your arc? /you have a buttload of wasted space because of that mistake alone. Never mind the buildings that can be plundered like goods buildings.. When I was in HMA and learned about questing I had 86 alchemists was doing over 50 loops a day. with coin supplies and spend FP. Also, Trebs are a waste of space since doing G.E gives trebs and bows. I had only 1 Heavy infantry and 1 Knight stable. G.E, Gave me everything else. I am an avid HMA GvG fighter and always finished G.E stage 3, with no negotiation. Only mid-stage 4 did I ever negotiate. CR is right, never run roads along side edge of city. Always want buildings on both sides of roads. Another tip, the larger buildings (GBs and military etc..) you want only to touch road with 1 tile. try to use them where the road ends at them or the roads corners 90 there and only corner of building touches road. Also lose the multi-productions buildings.. they take up to much room and can all be plundered. So can goods buildings. I love attacking hoodies cities with 3 bazaars a soccer field and masquerade ball (Free FP every time).

Thank you for taking my city apart in the least constructive way possible. When I expanded to that area, I honestly didn't think about how it would effect my future city designs, only how it would work into what I had currently at the time the expansion was available to me. I hadn't discovered foemanager so I couldn't experiment with city design, and working it out in Excel was extremely confusing and time consuming, so I didn't bother. It was maybe a month after I had discovered this guide, and that was in mid February when there was no advice on where/ how to expand. I was wondering if I would get flack for it when I uploaded my city plan, and was actually expecting it, but at least CR didn't berate me for it. He simply said why it would be a bad idea to expand there to everyone else (a bit emphatically perhaps, but I didn't feel like he was yelling directly in my face for it). The mistake has been made, realized, and now I have to make the best of it. That's life, and throwing someone's mistakes in their face doesn't help anything. I also feel like you barely read the rest of my post. I have one goods building that I'm considering selling off anyway because I don't need it anymore, but I set it for 24 hr production so I always collect on time at the same time every day. I actually already sold one treb since my last post because GE gives me so many of them. I don't expect you to have read every post in this thread, but I mentioned previously that I dislike the fighting aspect, so that means I play differently than you. Congratulations on never needing to negotiate through 90% of GE, I'm really glad you enjoy fighting. But that doesn't mean that just because you do well fighting, everyone else should fight too. People are different, so people will play different. I'm not a bloodthirsty person out to beat down every other player/ npc enemy in the game. There's a negotiation option for a reason. I understand roads should not run around the edge of a city but as we've established my expansion layout isn't the best and I've gotta do what I've gotta do to reach some tricky spots. And finally... I have no multi-production buildings? Where do you see them in my city? It is my post that you quoted after all, so logically I'm guessing comment was directed to me.

In any case, gloating about how amazing your city was in HMA, how awesome you are at fighting, and how much you enjoy plundering your hoodies does no one any good, and your comments have a degrading connotation to them. Since you say you're so good at fighting, if you'd like to start a new thread about how to effectively fight in different terrains, against different units, against multiple waves of armies like in GE, I will readily read it and try to implement your advice. I'm a pretty chill person, I can take constructive well-meaning criticism. It just actually has to be constructive, not derisive. Isn't that what most of us reading this guide are doing? Reading all the things we "should" be doing (assuming we wanted to follow and implement this guide) and then looking at how much work our cities are going to need to be reorganized is basically receiving indirect constructive criticism. CR is trying to help build us up with a certain strategy, not tear us down or make us feel bad for mistakes we might have made before the method was made known to us. If we don't want to follow it, we don't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29060

Anyone have thoughts on the new 5th year anniversary set with the garden? Are they worth using for the space they take up in a HQS city?

DeletedUser23444

I did some digging to clarify some details here about this event’s special buildings. In fact, it looks like these event buildings are all actually quite poor. Firstly The King Statue ≠ The King and The Queen Statue ≠ The Queen. These are in fact different special buildings. I’m going to compare all of buildings from this event as if they were locked to FE (because that is the era I’m in) and show you how they compare to other options.

The King Statue / The Queen Statue (event buildings)
Size: 2 x 2, requires 1-lane road connection
Produces: 9,220 coins (FE) in 24-hours
M/P: CANNOT be motivated. CAN ALWAYS be plundered
Set Bonuses: King Statue, Touch 1 = +30 Medals (poor), Touch 2 = +1 FP; Queen Statue, Touch 1 = +5 goods (FE), Touch 2 = +1 FP

Garden Ruins
Size: 3 x 3, currently unclear if it requires road
Produces: 1,360 (FE) Happiness
M/P: CANNOT be polished, nothing to plunder
Set bonuses: Touch 1 = +2% City Army Defense Bonus; Touch 2 = +3% (+5% total)

Compare Garden Ruins to Tigers’ Den
Size
: 3 x 3, requires 1-lane road connection
Produces: 2,040 (FE) Happiness, +5% City Army Defense Bonus
M/P: Polish doubles happiness

Compare the King Statue / Queen Statue to The King / The Queen

Produces: 17,000 coins (FE) in 24-hours
M/P: can be motivated and protected from plunder

Compare the King Statue / Queen Statue to The Shrine of Knowledge
Produces: 29 (FE) population, 12,520 coins (FE) in 24-hours
M/P: can be motivated which double the coins production and adds +1 FP.

CONCLUSION

These set types buildings are going to create city design challenges for little extra value from the set bonuses. And all of that additional value can be plundered anyway. Buildings like the regular King and Queen offer vastly superior coins production capacity and efficiency. The SOK also offers vastly superior coins production capacity and efficiency and +1FP that cannot be plundered. The Tigers' Den provides the same type of benefits as the Garden Ruins but TD clobbers the GR's total efficiency-per-tile of land.

The entire set takes up 17 tiles of land, which is 5 more tiles than 2 Alchemists or 2 Clockmakers. The 2 Alchemists/Clockmakers are going to produce a similar number of goods, medals and FPs, over time (through the 1 "Produce Supplies" quest and the CF-enchanced quest rewards from that quest) as the King/Queen Statue will. Sure you might not get FPs every days, but when you do, it will be 5 FPs at once.

If you needed some coins production to offset Innovation Tower Population. The King/Queen Statues would be okay, but they are not as ultra-efficient as an SoK, SoA, or The King, The Queen.

DeletedUser23444

CF bonus is at 715% so you time base prize by a factor of 8.15
  1. Cost of 1 UBQ (pay the Jester coins + Supplies): 500k/500k
  2. Collect N Coins: 1m coins
  3. Collect N Supplies: 1.5m supply
  4. Spend N FPs: 139fp
  5. Size of medals package: 10,595 medals
  6. Size of small coins package: 570,500 coins
  7. Size of small supplies package: 529,750 supply
  8. Size of large coins package: 1,793,000 coins
  9. Size of large supplies package: 1,630,000 supply

Thanks alot!

DeletedUser29060

Thoughts on newest maypole upgrades from this coming event? Percentage coin increase is small but seems like it would be strong, especially if it applies to quest rewards which is unclear from the description I think. Looks slightly better than premium happiness buildings as well and is only 3x3.

DeletedUser23444

We must break our “drug habit” of believing that we MUST complete each and every event and that we MUST score each and every “special building” and that we MUST construct each and every special building in our city. No, we do not need to do these things. The fact is that very few “special buildings” are actually valuable enough to keep in our cities more than an age or two; some are not valuable enough to construct at all in some ages but might be valuable enough to construct in some eras. So resist the urge to buy into the hype and social engineering that Inno Games tries to sell you on — Don’t believe their marketing BS when then tell you that a building is “Special” or “Great”, these words do not mean “valuable”. The Colosseum and Notre Dame are both Great Buildings, and neither is valuable. The Drummer School and Color Guard Camps are both Special Buildings, and neither is valuable.

Ask any established player, who is near the end of their current age and does not want to get pushed beyond that age, how valuable it is to NOT waste C Map provinces or technologies on events. The game has changed to the point where there are now 1-2 events each month, plus we a weekly GE event. We ALWAYS have more chances to score more “special buildings”. So just get used to have pages upon pages of unused “special buildings” in your Inventory. Most special buildings are NOT valuable buildings. Any building that we choose to add to our city had better provide our city TREMENDOUS value-per-tile. This is especially true for “special buildings” when we must often research a tech and scout/infiltrate/negotiate/conquer a C Map Province, in order to score the “special building”. This is why we skip MOST "special buildings" in the game — most of them are not worth wasting a scouted province on or researching a tech on.

The Checkmate Square from the Albert Einstein event was valuable enough to even get pushed out of an age we wanted to remain in, in order to complete the questline to score the special building. There aren't many buildings in the game that can buff the combat bonus or our attacking army, where we will also keep that building in our city no, matter what age we are in (there are some late-era barracks that give attack boost but they all cost a lot of population and we might not want those units, and the Drummer School is not worth keeping for the attack boost).

An upgraded Maypole is:
A. small pile-o-happy, which is inefficient compared to other special buildings
B. small % increase to our coins production efficiency.

We have several options for A — GE spits out decos weekly that are about as inefficient as regular Maypole (I can’t find detailed happiness stats on the upgraded version). We also already have 2 readily available options for increasing our coins production efficiency: Friends Tavern boosts and St. Marks bonuses. Pushing StM up one just level above level 10 will grant a +5% coins production bonus, in 0 additional land. Pushing StM up just one level below level 10 will grant a 15%-20% coins production bonus, in 0 additional land. So we already have a very good alternative, which we are going to construct in our city anyway, to buff our coins production efficiency. By the time we own a level 7 StM, our coins production bonus is +200% and we won't really care much at all about using coins production bonuses from: the Tavern, the new boost bottles, or an upgraded Maypole.

Down in Industrial Age and lower, the total coins production capacity in an HQS city will lag significantly behind the total supplies production capacity. This is mainly because we construct a massive field of supply production buildings in much less relative population, and partly because we usually construct and level up LoA before StM. In the GB leveling order that I prescribe, I always list StM before LoA, because I know that total coins production capacity is going to hold back lower-age players from spamming more UBQs more so than total supplies production capacity. But by the time we arrive in FE, our city is going to own more ultra-efficient coins production buildings, such as: SoK, SoA, The King, The Queen (not the statues from this recent event but the older special buildings that are more colorful), SSWs, and Tribal Squares. And our city's total coins production capacity is not only going to outpace our total supplies production capacity, but it’s going to lap it. So in the long run, any version of the Maypole isn't going to have a permanent place in a late-game (PME and later) city, because we are always going to be looking for how to cram in our umpteenth SoK, SSW, a building such as the Checkmate Square, or Kiosk (I would love a whole row of Kiosks locked to PME and above), or more of the massive Terrace Farms for producing discounted refined goods.

If we had a single 3x3 plot of land in a lower age city, then using the upgraded Maypole for +8% coins boost would be valuable enough, provided we had a single 3x3 plot. But any time we can actually fit in 2 more Clockmakers/Alchemists, then those buildings will ALWAYS provide us much more value, because that is 7 more completed “produce supplies” quests per week, and also 7 more UBQs per week if we can afford them. More completed quests = More Loot in the form of: FPs, medals and goods, which are the reasons why we work quests. Any special building added to our city takes away total quests-per-day and is going to cost us all three of these resources.

We do not replace questing buildings, which help us score more FPs, medals and goods through quest rewards, with special buildings that only help us produce more coins or more supplies. The only special buildings that produce coins that we actually keep in the lower ages are the ultra-efficient coins producers such as: SoK; SoA, until we can replace it with an SoK; The King/Queen, until we can replace them with either an SoA or SoK; special buildings that add attack bonus like Checkmate Square and Speakers Corner; and the Ziggurat that provides very efficient population and enough happiness to make its own population happy (but not enthused). There are other special buildings that produce coins, which will become more valuable in the later eras (PME and later) because of their discounted refined goods production, such as: Kiosk, Oasis, and Tribal Square. But since we can quest so easily for goods in Ind and lower, we would not waste land on constructing such buildings down there.

DeletedUser26829

We must break our “drug habit” of believing that we MUST complete each and every event and that we MUST score each and every “special building” and that we MUST construct each and every special building in our city. No, we do not need to do these things. The fact is that very few “special buildings” are actually valuable enough to keep in our cities more than an age or two; some are not valuable enough to construct at all in some ages but might be valuable enough to construct in some eras. So resist the urge to buy into the hype and social engineering that Inno Games tries to sell you on — Don’t believe their marketing BS when then tell you that a building is “Special” or “Great”, these words do not mean “valuable”. The Colosseum and Notre Dame are both Great Buildings, and neither is valuable. The Drummer School and Color Guard Camps are both Special Buildings, and neither is valuable.

Ask any established player, who is near the end of their current age and does not want to get pushed beyond that age, how valuable it is to NOT waste C Map provinces or technologies on events. The game has changed to the point where there are now 1-2 events each month, plus we a weekly GE event. We ALWAYS have more chances to score more “special buildings”. So just get used to have pages upon pages of unused “special buildings” in your Inventory. Most special buildings are NOT valuable buildings. Any building that we choose to add to our city had better provide our city TREMENDOUS value-per-tile. This is especially true for “special buildings” when we must often research a tech and scout/infiltrate/negotiate/conquer a C Map Province, in order to score the “special building”. This is why we skip MOST "special buildings" in the game — most of them are not worth wasting a scouted province on or researching a tech on.

The Checkmate Square from the Albert Einstein event was valuable enough to even get pushed out of an age we wanted to remain in, in order to complete the questline to score the special building. There aren't many buildings in the game that can buff the combat bonus or our attacking army, where we will also keep that building in our city no, matter what age we are in (there are some late-era barracks that give attack boost but they all cost a lot of population and we might not want those units, and the Drummer School is not worth keeping for the attack boost).

An upgraded Maypole is:

We have several options for A — GE spits out decos weekly that are about as inefficient as regular Maypole (I can’t find detailed happiness stats on the upgraded version). We also already have 2 readily available options for increasing our coins production efficiency: Friends Tavern boosts and St. Marks bonuses. Pushing StM up one just level above level 10 will grant a +5% coins production bonus, in 0 additional land. Pushing StM up just one level below level 10 will grant a 15%-20% coins production bonus, in 0 additional land. So we already have a very good alternative, which we are going to construct in our city anyway, to buff our coins production efficiency. By the time we own a level 7 StM, our coins production bonus is +200% and we won't really care much at all about using coins production bonuses from: the Tavern, the new boost bottles, or an upgraded Maypole.

Down in Industrial Age and lower, the total coins production capacity in an HQS city will lag significantly behind the total supplies production capacity. This is mainly because we construct a massive field of supply production buildings in much less relative population, and partly because we usually construct and level up LoA before StM. In the GB leveling order that I prescribe, I always list StM before LoA, because I know that total coins production capacity is going to hold back lower-age players from spamming more UBQs more so than total supplies production capacity. But by the time we arrive in FE, our city is going to own more ultra-efficient coins production buildings, such as: SoK, SoA, The King, The Queen (not the statues from this recent event but the older special buildings that are more colorful), SSWs, and Tribal Squares. And our city's total coins production capacity is not only going to outpace our total supplies production capacity, but it’s going to lap it. So in the long run, any version of the Maypole isn't going to have a permanent place in a late-game (PME and later) city, because we are always going to be looking for how to cram in our umpteenth SoK, SSW, a building such as the Checkmate Square, or Kiosk (I would love a whole row of Kiosks locked to PME and above), or more of the massive Terrace Farms for producing discounted refined goods.

If we had a single 3x3 plot of land in a lower age city, then using the upgraded Maypole for +8% coins boost would be valuable enough, provided we had a single 3x3 plot. But any time we can actually fit in 2 more Clockmakers/Alchemists, then those buildings will ALWAYS provide us much more value, because that is 7 more completed “produce supplies” quests per week, and also 7 more UBQs per week if we can afford them. More completed quests = More Loot in the form of: FPs, medals and goods, which are the reasons why we work quests. Any special building added to our city takes away total quests-per-day and is going to cost us all three of these resources.

We do not replace questing buildings, which help us score more FPs, medals and goods through quest rewards, with special buildings that only help us produce more coins or more supplies. The only special buildings that produce coins that we actually keep in the lower ages are the ultra-efficient coins producers such as: SoK; SoA, until we can replace it with an SoK; The King/Queen, until we can replace them with either an SoA or SoK; special buildings that add attack bonus like Checkmate Square and Speakers Corner; and the Ziggurat that provides very efficient population and enough happiness to make its own population happy (but not enthused). There are other special buildings that produce coins, which will become more valuable in the later eras (PME and later) because of their discounted refined goods production, such as: Kiosk, Oasis, and Tribal Square. But since we can quest so easily for goods in Ind and lower, we would not waste land on constructing such buildings down there.

An upgraded Maypole is:

DeletedUser26829

Thank you for the very useful analysis of the "mind lock" that goes with the Events tasks. It's helped me decide whether or not to move up an age (because of that R&D task) or opt out of the maypole. With the quibble that those of us who prefer to aid and trade our way through the Continent Map and GE will have different priorities about defence vs attack boosts and the output of Great Buildings, you've given me lots to think about...

DeletedUser26965

After you upload the file, you should see 2 options in the lower left corner, Thumbnail & Full Image.
Upload? to where here? How? I use the Image button which then asks for the URL and it posts the whole pic, no options.

DeletedUser28711

Upload? to where here? How? I use the Image button which then asks for the URL and it posts the whole pic, no options.

I don't think there are any options for the Image button, but if you use the Upload a File button in the lower right corner, you'll have those options. Just keep in mind the size (1 MB I believe) & file type restrictions.

DeletedUser26965

I don't think there are any options for the Image button, but if you use the Upload a File button in the lower right corner, you'll have those options. Just keep in mind the size (1 MB I believe) & file type restrictions.
bah, lol, just saw it as you posted lol, totally forgot about that one as I always used the Image tab at the top, thanks.