• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser26965

In the HQS,we don't actually produce any goods conventionally, until we advance up to about PME.
Okay maybe I missed it in the guide but how do you do that in the beginning and at the same time try to get GB's like CF and Arc? I started two cities, like I mentioned earlier, one is trying to follow this guide, the other doing other things, and the first thing I'm going for according to this guide is CF and the deal is 875 goods I need to trade. I went directly for IA (Architecture) of course so I could donate to GB's for the deal and later to invest in CF's for prints but I wanted to get the goods first. There's no way I could get 875 BA goods fast enough through questing so I built 4 Vineyards, which was producing 120 goods a day to trade for the PME goods. So in just over a week I have the goods made for CF. How does the HQ'ster deal with the early game not building conventional goods buildings while also trying to obtain higher age goods for GB's?

edit: ah, okay, found this later in the comments;

More often than not, I coach players to race up to HMA Alchemy, then park there and quest until they can afford to sprint to CA, then park in CA until all their GBs are level 10

So I suppose once I get done with the goods deal for CF I'll race out of IA to HMA Alchemy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28853

Hey CR, I have been following your guide but have a question which has been nagging me. You talk about doing as many UBQs as you can afford to based on your stockpile of coins and supplies. I just want to know what you would consider a good base level for a stockpile of resources in any of the ages or eras (I am currently in the EMA and advancing to the HMA where I am going to park for a while and quest). Thanks.

DeletedUser28286

Hey CR, I have been following your guide but have a question which has been nagging me. You talk about doing as many UBQs as you can afford to based on your stockpile of coins and supplies. I just want to know what you would consider a good base level for a stockpile of resources in any of the ages or eras (I am currently in the EMA and advancing to the HMA where I am going to park for a while and quest). Thanks.

The stockpile you try to save up should reflect the resources you will need to get to whatever the next age's questing requirements are, as well as what is needed to rebuild your city. I believe CR mentions a few times previously throughout the thread that 8 million coins and supplies are recommended before jumping from HMA to CA, and then another 1400+ FP to sprint through tech to clockmakers on the CA tech tree. Note that the 1400 FP is only to unlock the bare minimum along the path to clockmakers and is not an all inclusive figure of every tech on the tree between the start of LMA and the end of CA. Probably 1/3 or even 1/2 of the CA tech tree will be ignored in the sprint towards clockmakers, and you shouldn't feel the need to press past clockmakers either. While you're in HMA questing pre-stockpile, you can still complete UBQ a couple times a day (personally I only completed UBQ if I got a large coins reward from any of my recurring quests or two small coins rewards.), but you shouldn't be spamming them until after the stockpile has been achieved. As far as I know no specific details have been given about an appropriate number between any of the other age/eras because it can be done in so many different ways. You can either hit each age/ era and stay just long enough to get diamonds, or you can completely skip certain ones in favor of one or two stops, or you can skip it all and just head to Future Era. Each strategy would require a different amount. I'll leave it to someone who's actually made the jumps and leaps to do the resources breakdown. If I speculate things will just get confusing.

Edit: a helpful member pointed out to me I had been referencing alchemists instead of clockmakers for basically the entirety of the post. My apologies for any confusion, I should have fixed all appropriate references.

DeletedUser28711

2. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever (and I mean never, ever, ever, ever, ever, forever, and ever, amen) run roads along the edge of your city (meaning your city is on one side of the road and unexpanded wilderness is on the other side) like you see in a few of these city plans! Doing this will needlessly waste a lot more tiles of land on roads than is actually required. If you cannot place buildings along both sides of each and every road segment in your city, then you need to go back to the drawing board and start your city plan over. Never stay married to your existing road layout. You should always start each new city plan with completely empty land and try to come up an efficient road layout that does not waste land.​

3. Using Multi-production buildings for coins production is always a complete waste of land, HQS or no HQS. We always want all of our buildings that produce coins and supplies to be both motivated (multi-production buildings can never be motivated) and also buffed my a coins production bonus from StM or a supplies production bonus from LoA as applicable. If you really need more coins production to complete a quest then sell off the inefficient multi-production buildings (which cost a city population) and construct a few more regular houses that produce more coins, but provide less population. Also the current event will permit you to score a King Statue (not to be confused with The King) and a Queen Statue (not to be confused with The Queen), which might help take care of any coins production capacity issues you have.​

Based on CR's comments & recommendations, I was finally able to get around to planning a layout I could be happy with.

Greifental 2017-04-29.jpg Greifental BP 2017-04-29.jpg

I deleted the Masquerade Ball & 5 Town Houses which allowed me to add 16 Alchemist for a total of 78. I do have 1 TH landlocked, but the extra 8 Produce Supplies quest is worth it.

Any comments are welcomed.

Thank you.

ODragon

What causes these reoccurring quests to disappear? I finally got Clockmaking open, did the quests a couple of time (got some diamonds yeah!) but cancelled out one to get a different one and I didn't get the cycle of repeating.

The only thing I did was scout (for the current event). I've not gone up in Age.

DeletedUser23444

What causes these reoccurring quests to disappear? I finally got Clockmaking open, did the quests a couple of time (got some diamonds yeah!) but cancelled out one to get a different one and I didn't get the cycle of repeating.

The only thing I did was scout (for the current event). I've not gone up in Age.

I covered this in the guide...

Questing Explained In-Depth

The Different Types of Quests
There are many different types of quests in FoE. The type of each specific quest we have accepted is usually noted in the title bar of the quest dialog. The different types of FoE quests include:

Side Quests — This is the 2nd quest giver slot given to us in the game (again, do not confuse the order quests are given to us with the order they are listed along the left side of the screen). Somewhat similar to story quests, side quests sometimes lead us through the tech tree and the continental map. However, many side quests make us do things like: construct new buildings, sell old buildings, gather or produce different resources, produce or delete units, and many other time-consuming game activities. What, if any, side quests are available to us is a function of where we are in the tech tree. Many side quests re-appear in later time periods throughout the game, only they get scaled both in difficulty and in the rewards they payout according to each time period they reappear in. Most (but not all) side quests can be aborted. If we abort a side quest in one time period, then we will never see that same side quest again in that same time period; however, we could still see an adapted version of the same side quest in a later time period, once we get there.

NOTE: Many side quests are HUGE time wasters; therefore, we should never feel obligated to complete every side quest in our current time period. Instead, we can look at the time and other resources required to complete the side quest, and compare those costs with the total value of the rewards we could score upon quest completion. It is best to apply this general litmus test when deciding to abort or complete a side quest: “Can we complete the quest in 4 hours or less, and are the rewards we might score greater than the total resources cost to complete the quest?” If the answer to this litmus question is “yes”, then we should complete the side quest; however, if the answer to the question is “no”, then we should abort the side quest. There is no sense in completing any quest that results in a net loss of total resources, with no chance at a resource profit. Also, time is always our most precious resource; therefore there is no point in wasting time on completing any side quest (that doesn’t pay incredibly good rewards) when doing so only delays us from (re)unlocking the recurring quests (see later) for our age, which will generally pay us much better rewards.

Recurring Quests — Recurring quests do not get their own quest slot along the left side of our screen—they always share the same slot(s) as side quests. At any point along the tech tree for our current time period, it is possible that we run out of available side quests (which are always tied to our overall technology progress); in such cases the game will offer us a recurring quest in place of a side quest. Every time we advance our technology (that is our Town Hall) to a higher time period, the recurring quests will get scaled so as to be much harder to complete, and the new period's recurring quests must be unlocked by completing or aborting all currently available side quests for the new time period. Recurring quests can always be aborted; however unlike side quests, recurring quests will reappear to us again, during the same time period, over-and-over an infinite number of times. Whenever we complete or abort a recurring quest, that same quest will be offered to us again, after we have either completed or aborted all other recurring quests one time, as well as any new side quests that may have been recently made available to us.

NOTE: Contrary to popular belief, recurring quests do NOT appear at the end of a time period—we can unlock them immediately upon entering a new time period by simply completing or aborting all currently available side quests. The transition between side and recurring quests goes both ways and it all depends on our tech advancement within the same time period. If we subsequently unlock another technology any time after we have already unlocked the recurring quests for our current time period (and after we either complete or abort our currently accepted recurring quest), then a previously unavailable side quest might become available. In such cases, we need to complete or abort any new side quests in order to once again unlock the recurring quests for our current time period.

While I did not mention this, scouting or conquering a province might also affect when a recurring quest slot reverts to a Side Quest. I know for a fact it can revert one to a Bonus Quest, but no real confirmation on Side Quests.

ODragon

While I did not mention this, scouting or conquering a province might also affect when a recurring quest slot reverts to a Side Quest. I know for a fact it can revert one to a Bonus Quest, but no real confirmation on Side Quests.
I'm guessing that's it. I have two Side quests not as well as a Story quest. Unless there are only 5 slots available and when the current may event runs out, a slot will open for the reoccurring one.

DeletedUser23444

Event quest have nothing to do with the other types of quests, those quest givers slots just go away after the events are over.

DeletedUser23444

SpakyPD (in a private message) said:
Hi, I have read through your HQS thread, but did not seem to see any information about something I have found:

I started two different servers, C and D, and have been doing the exact same thing on each of them. What I am finding that is odd is the 'random' rewards from the recurring quests are identical.

The first 8FP spend quest gave 100 supply for each as reward, 2nd time both got 5 lumber specifically, 3rd time both got diamonds.

It appears to be quest specific, opposed to random quest reward queues. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I am going to keep recording more information about it (trying to get a complete list of side quests and their activation times). If you are interested in any of the information please let me know.

Understanding How Quests Pay “Random Rewards”
It helps to understand that, in the game of FoE, “Random Rewards” are not dynamically random—that is to say they are not random in the sense that each player “rolls a random dice roll” every time he or she completes a quest and the results of that random dice roll will determine what prize that player scores. It is much more accurate to say that, in the game of FoE, all “Random Rewards” are in-fact random across the entire population of FoE players but that each individual player is actually following a randomly chosen script of predetermined results. It works a little something like this; when a player account is first created, the game rolls one huge dice roll, which randomly chooses a script of predetermined smaller dice rolls that, over a very long time of playing the game, would seem random to any casual observer (but not to a Cosmic Raven who never observes anything casually). Each player in FoE is actually following a scripted cycle of predetermined “random results” for any quests that pay “Random Rewards” and those predetermined results do follow a pattern of probability so that each player scores each type of prize a prescribed percentage of times.

Now what exactly do I mean by this? Each player actually gets their own script of “random results” to win for each specific quest. FoE does not use a dynamic random number generator (RNG) that calculates a new random number each time we complete a quest In fact we now know that FoE uses the same RNG seeding for every new world we start. This means that if we completed exactly the same number of quests, in exactly the same sequence, in every off-world that we start, that we will always score the same “random reward” from the same instance of the same quest on each and every off-world. When we score the 5 goods prize, it might be a different 5 goods on each off-world, but any instance of any quest that scores us 5 goods on one off-world will also score us 5 goods on every one of our off-worlds. This means that we can note of what type of “random rewards” each of us personally scores from each side quest or event quest that pays a "Random Reward", because that will be the same reward we will always score from that quest — it doesn’t matter how many off-worlds we try, we will always score the same reward on the same instance of the same quest.

Now the "randomness" of reward is tied to several factors:
  • Player Account
  • Time Period
  • Specific Quest
  • Specific Instance of Specific Quest
So for a quest to pay the same "random reward" it would have to be: same player account + Same Age + Same instance of the same specific quest.

For example, if you had 4 off-worlds in the Bronze Age and a specific event quest paid you diamonds on one of those worlds, then that same specific event quest would pay you diamonds on all 4 Bronze Age worlds. However, if you also had 4 off-worlds in HMA, the same specific event quest might not pay you diamonds in HMA, but a different event quest might. But again, all 4 of your HMA off-worlds would score diamonds on the same event quest.

So if you ever felt like RNG in the game of FoE isn't really random, well that's because computers in general do not do things randomly very well —they do things programmatically to try to simulate randomness. My educated guess here is that the FoE game designers wanted randomness to even itself out over long periods of game play or across many players, but seem like random results as we play through the game content.

DeletedUser23444

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Historical Questline

Beta Forum Announcement

Lord’s Manor
Building Type: 4x4 Residential (Future Era)
Population: 3,100 = 193.75 PPT
Coins Production: 42,000/24 Hrs = 2,625 CPT / 24-hours (1 collection)
Road Connection: 1-lane
Motivation: If motivated, the building will also generate 2 Forge Points (regardless of age), while doubling the coins production. The coins production also benefits from coin production bonuses.

Compare the Lord’s Manor to these buildings:

Arcology
Building Type: 6x6 Regular Residential (Future Era)
Population: 8,000 = 222.22 PPT
Coins Production: 62,210/24 Hrs = 1,728 CPT / 24-hours (1 collection)
Road Connection: 2-lane
Motivation: If motivated, the building doubles the coins production. The coins production also benefits from coin production bonuses.

TreeHouse Hotel
Building Type: 4x3 Premium Residential (Future Era)
Population: 3,000 = 250.00 PPT
Coins Production: 18,660/8 Hrs = 6,997.5 CPT / 24-hours (3 collections)
Road Connection: 2-lane
Motivation: If motivated, the building doubles the coins production. The coins production also benefits from coin production bonuses.

Shrine of Knowledge
Building Type: 2x2 Special Residential (Future Era)
Population: 29 = 7.25 PPT
Coins Production: 11,520/24 Hrs = 2,880 CPT / 24-hours (1 collection)
Road Connection: 1-lane
Motivation: If motivated, the building will also generate 1 Forge Point (regardless of age), while doubling the coins production. The coins production also benefits from coin production bonuses.

I do not have specific statistics for any time period other than the Future Era (thanks to a beta player). However based on the above comparisons to other Future Era buildings, the Lord’s Manor looks pretty solid. The Lord’s Manor offers a decent pile-o-population that only requires a 1-lane road, which is valuable in 2-lane eras; however, regular houses seem to offer more dense population. But the Lord’s Manor also produces 2 FPs per 24 hours and provides a better coins production efficiency than regular houses do.

I would imagine that some players in later eras, whose city already contains a field of SoKs and 2 to 4 population GBs at Level 10+, might not get too excited about a 4x4 building that produces 2 FPs. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Lord’s Manor provides a lot of value-per-tile and might be worth scoring. The decision to complete the event quest line and score The Lord’s Manor and use it in your city is really going to come down your city’s population requirements and what other population options you already have. We never use SoKs for their population; we are usually after the 1 FP per 4 tiles of land. If the Lord’s Manor produced 4 FPs every 24 hours I can guarantee you that it would not provide the population it does. So this is actually a well-rounded building.

DeletedUser28712

CR, I apologize in advance if I am asking a very basic question, but I hoped that once I am in the colonial age I would do the story quests of that age and they would stop appearing giving way to a third slot of recurring quests, but this Does not seem to occur, what can you talk about?

In addition I have something to add about the random prizes that you tried to explain to us that they would not be properly random, something that I had already noticed, because when certain awards appear, like medals, the tendency is for more medals to appear to a random amount ! (or not :)) but the important part is that the fact that these medal prizes appear half "grouped", close to each other, this shows us that there is no real randomness, that something is manipulated in this story, just as you explained. In short, I had already realized that the award is not really random.

yochananmichael

CR, I apologize in advance if I am asking a very basic question, but I hoped that once I am in the colonial age I would do the story quests of that age and they would stop appearing giving way to a third slot of recurring quests, but this Does not seem to occur, what can you talk about?

In addition I have something to add about the random prizes that you tried to explain to us that they would not be properly random, something that I had already noticed, because when certain awards appear, like medals, the tendency is for more medals to appear to a random amount ! (or not :)) but the important part is that the fact that these medal prizes appear half "grouped", close to each other, this shows us that there is no real randomness, that something is manipulated in this story, just as you explained. In short, I had already realized that the award is not really random.

There is a specific sequence of things you must do on the C-Map in the correct order between your jump to HMA and CA. Part of that sequence is completing the princess quest. CR will explain in more detail I am sure

DeletedUser25273

The "Story" quest line is one long sequence of quests, and will always have 1 quest giver. You will reach points where you can't (or don't want to) advance more there for awhile. You generally don't want to push yourself just to complete story quests as it it won't open more quest slots (unless maybe at the very end of the last age).

Side/Bonus/Recurring quests are a different matter. You start with one Side/Recurring Quest Slot at the beginning. You temporarily get a second slot for the HMA Barbarian "Bonus" quests, but that goes away when you finish it, so it never becomes a Recurring Quest Slot. At the end of LMA, it opens up again, and this time when you complete the bonus quest, it becomes a second slot that can be come side or recurring quests. This extra slot will get taken back for later Bonus Quests, so you want to be careful about when you open those bonus quests.

DeletedUser28712

Thanks guys, so the question is answered, story quests never end and therefore I should not expect more than 2 slots to recurring quests in CA in the best of scenarios.

DeletedUser28102

I am close to my tech sprint to CA and the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Questline came right at the time I was planning to leave , around the the 29th , I really don't want to leave a week early so my question is can I stay in HMA and do the SACDQ and then use a reno kit on the Lord's Manor when I get to CA? or should I leave early and do the SACDQ in CA ?

DeletedUser8152

I am close to my tech sprint to CA and the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Questline came right at the time I was planning to leave , around the the 29th , I really don't want to leave a week early so my question is can I stay in HMA and do the SACDQ and then use a reno kit on the Lord's Manor when I get to CA? or should I leave early and do the SACDQ in CA ?
You should be able to use a reno kit on the Lord's Manor. But the FP benefit doesn't depend on age.

DeletedUser23444

Ideally, you don't want to leave HMA until you own 2 Champions' Retreats, but at least 1 of them.

1. The first Champions' Retreat you should forever keep locked to HMA.
  2. The second Champions' Retreat you should forever keep locked to LMA.

You could have scored these buildings in HMA or lower. But once you advance to CA you cannot score a lower age copy of this building. If you find yourself with only 1, keep it HMA until you own a Traz, and let Traz produce about 200 unattached HMA champions, then use a 1-up kit to lock it to LMA (where it stays forever).

HMA Champions' Retreat + Alcatraz + Rogues + Moderate Combat Bonus (about 50%) = you can always fight HMA GvG in 0 population cost.

LMA Champions' Retreat + Alcatraz + Rogues + Good Combat Bonus (about 80%) = you can always fight LMA GvG in 0 population cost.

You attack with 1 Champ + 7 Rogues, Micro you champion to keep him back lines while advancing the Rogues, which the AI will attack and transform them into More Champions.

Now if you have your retreats (or at least 1 of them), and all the goods required to jump up, and the FPs. Then there is no reason to stay in HMA one second longer. CA is where da money is! And having your Lord's Manor locked to CA without need to spend a Reno Kit would be ideal.

Reno Kits are very hard to score. do not get used to spending them often.

DeletedUser23444

Thanks guys, so the question is answered, story quests never end and therefore I should not expect more than 2 slots to recurring quests in CA in the best of scenarios.

You statement is correct up until the Future Era.

I'm in FE right now, and I'm trying to get a 3rd recurring quest slot from the Story Quest giver. Two of my former guild mates actually accomplished this. However, when they for 3 recurring quests in FE, the game only had Part I of AFE added; so things might be different in today's version of FoE. On top of the game changes we don't exactly know the proper sequence of events to get 3 recurring quests in FE.

But two of my former guild mates had 3 recurring quests running in FE at the time. I won't find out for some time, because I will not scout another province or research another tech until it is time to score the Lord's Manor. (This Maypole event isn't worth spending a tech or province on). I'm getting really close to the place where my mates had 3 recurring quests. And once I figure out this secret sauce, you better believe I will be taking screen shots and documenting things.

DeletedUser25273

Yes, the story quest line has to have an actual end, as there are onlyy so many quest programmed (the recurrring quest is basically the method used to provide unending quests). I am not there, but I would expect that when they add new ages (or parts thereof) they also add to the story line, so that extra slot is likely only available to people in the last age, who have finished the existing story line. I would expect that to get it now, you will need to do what is required for the OF stoorry quest line.

DeletedUser28102

Thank you CR for your response and excellent advice. Will Champion's Retreats be available I the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Questline ? I tried to find the information but came up blank.

I think I found the answer , I have to wait for the Summer Event . I'll be in HMA a while longer.