• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

Higdur

I have also moved over to completing the daily 60 Clockmaker grind on my iPad, as the abort cycle is very much faster. It is quiet a hassle in the browser, especially if I'm on my work computer which is significantly slower. I do all my other playing in the browser though, things like motivating/taverning, and especially leveling your partner's GBs are much less effective in the mobile UI.

Higdur

• CA — Clockmaking + Country Houses ... The medals package is 105 medals with a level 10 CF bonus.

The medal count is incorrect. The base amount is 75 medals, I have 100% bonus (CF level 6) and I get 150 medals from each medal package.

DeletedUser28446

Just curious,were all you lagging behind in coins in the beginning? I'm in EMA now, all but one tech done, holding onto that for event quests and heavy questing in this age till I have the materials to advance to HMA. my supplies are astronomically higher than my coin production. I am using the tavern boost at all possible. I'm sitting on 34 tanners at the moment saving for my alchemist buildings. So I know that I'm on the right track here and going by what CR said, how many military units you have on average on your land? I have 2 archers 1 mercenaries and 1 armored infantry and a rogue hideout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Higdur

My supplies production is much lower than my gold production, even when running the 60% supply boost almost every day (CA, 60 clockmakers). This is likely due to me having 24 SoKs, they produce a lot of gold.

DeletedUser28446

My supplies production is much lower than my gold production, even when running the 60% supply boost almost every day (CA, 60 clockmakers). This is likely due to me having 24 SoKs, they produce a lot of gold.
Yeah I have been told and also what CR has wrote in his guide, that supplies outsource coins in the early eras, but then flip flops at later eras. I was only wondering if I was doing anything wrong but it seems I'm ok. I have no decorations,only a theater and 3 carnival masks as happiness boosters, along with 29 homes. 10 villas and 19 multistory.

DeletedUser23444

I don't care if you tell me that you have only 10 million coins and 100 million supplies, my answer to you is: "your coins are just fine and you don't have enough supplies." Remember, I'm in the Future Era looking back down through the ages at what most of you cannot see yet looking forward up to where I am.

Here are several points of logic that go into the recipe for my "secret sauce":
  1. We might work each of the three different "Produce Supplies" quests in each age (to score 20 diamonds from each one), which means we sometimes might use a few of the larger supply production buildings. However, when we actually park in an age and seriously work heavy questing, then we use mainly the supply production building with the smallest land cost and the best efficiency in terms of supplies-per-hour-per-population. The smaller supply production buildings of any time period actually have the worst efficiency in terms of supplies-per-hour-per-tile. Also, the 24-hour supply production is always the least efficient one in terms of supplies-per-hour-per-tile (this is true of both supply production buildings and goods production buildings). So in heavy questing, we are actually compounding two supply production efficiency losses by using both the least efficient building, and the least efficient production of each building.

2. Counteracting point #1 above is the fact that we try to construct that largest field of supply production buildings that we can, since every 2,4, or 5 supply production buildings (depends on our time period) equals one completed quest. This means we are constructing far more supply production buildings than any other "normal" player would, since the other guy is usually also going to produce goods conventionally in buildings that end up consuming a lot more of his: land, population, offsetting happiness, and oh yeah his goods buildings can be plundered too. So our heavy questing city doesn't require as much population as a conventional city, which comes by way of residential buildings. Therefore, we need to construct fewer residential buildings than a conventional player does. We also usually try to construct the houses with the highest population density (pop-per-tile), which also happen to have the lowest production efficiency (coins-per-hour-per-tile). So in Heavy Questing, we are also compounding two production losses for coins: we use the residential buildings with the worst coins production efficiency, and we lose coins production capacity by constructing fewer residential buildings.

3. In any period named "an age", the largest supply production building that we use to heavy quest with is the 4x3 Butcher down in the Iron Age. However, in most lower ages we usually have access to a very small supply production building such as: 2x2 in Bronze Age, 3x2 in either HMA or CA, and 2x3 in Ind. This means we can cram a lot of buildings into our city in these ages. But after we advance past Ind, the number of supply buildings we can construct will go down dramatically in any period named "an era", with the two exceptions being: the Modern Era (3x3 Hatters), and the Future Era (3 x 4 Levitation Outlets). For this reason alone, as we advance later in the game, it will become increasingly harder to produce a lot of supplies relative to our coins production, especially while we continue working the "Produce Supplies" quest. The supply production buildings just get massive later on, and many of them require 2-lane roads.

To illustrate this point, I've attached two versions of my own city here.

Industrial Age: ... Progressive Era:
    Ravenloft-08-Ind-Quest-3.png Ravenloft-09-PE-02.png

This Industrial Age city plan was my last one before I left that age behind. I was working the "Produce Supplies" quest for Ceramic Factories to get paid diamonds from them. But even though it is Produce 4 x <24-hour supplies productions> in Indy, I was still able to complete 15 "Produce Supplies" quests per day. And my second recurring quest slot also completed several "Collect Supplies" quests. But as you can see in PE, my total number of quests drops dramatically, and with it my ability to produce supplies compared to coins.

NOTE: If you pay attention to my city plans you will see I made many mistakes that the current HQS avoids. You should all thank me for screwing up a number of different ways so that you don't have to.;)

4. As a consequence of point #3 above, and also further compounding it, is that since we will complete fewer "Produce Supplies" quests in higher eras, we must produce more goods conventionally. And the goods production buildings are much more massive than the supply production buildings, and they also cost even more population and offsetting happiness.

To illustrate this point, I've attached a PME version of my own city here.
    Ravenloft-11-PME-01.png
    Due to the ginormous size of PME Car Factories (supply buildings) and The PE/ME/PME goods that I am forced to produce conventionally, I'm only completing 1 produce supplies quest every 24-hours. Needless to say, I did not stay in PME any longer than I had to.

5. So in point #1 we cost ourselves supply production efficiency. In point #2 we cost ourselves coins production efficiency. We are quite willing to sacrifice these things in order to increase questing efficiency. But the consequences are that in the Industrial Age and lower our supplies production and our supplies stockpile can get as large as between 200% and 300% of our coins production and stockpile. Not only is this okay, it is in fact 100% necessary; because in some of the later eras, we are not going to have much supply production capacity.

6. When we start out in lower ages, we don't own many special buildings. The longer we play, the higher we advance, the more GE we complete, the more events we participate in, the more we score interesting special buildings that are ultra-highly efficient at coins production, which include: SoKs, SSWs, SoAs, Kings, Queens, Ziggurats, Oasis, Tribal Squares, and so on. Since we gain advantages from using such buildings, we like to get our grubby hands on as many of them as possible. But except for the Ziggurat, using any of these buildings come at the expense of population density (which we must offset with population GBs not named "Tower of Babel"), and by extension a loss of supply production capacity.

7. Remember that I coach everyone to construct and level up both the StM and LoA way back in HMA, both of which buff the production efficiency of our coins and supplies respectively. These are critical GBs, which never stop being critical to our city design in the later eras, as they will both produce much-needed x2 unrefined goods and their production efficiency bonuses allow us to afford spamming UBQs. UBQ is actually the main quest that the Heavy Questing Strategy is centered around, not the "Produce Supplies" quest. Remember my PME city plan with only 5 production buildings? Well, we would be better off setting those 5 buildings to the production interval that has the maximum production efficiency that we can reliably collect on time while ensuring all of the productions will be both motivated and buffed by a LoA bonus. This would enable us to complete more UBQs than "Produce Supplies" quests.

8. I also coach players to avoid constructing the RAH, in order to reduce the total amount of land we use for great buildings and the total amount of FPs we spend on great buildings. By-and-large the RAH is redundant with LoA. If constructing RAH was more feasible in the early lower ages, I would say construct RAH and skip LoA. However the RAH costs more land, more goods, more expensive goods, and more FPs per GB level. Look around a bunch of later eras cities where the player is not working Heavy Questing, and you are bound to notice quite a few such players own both the LoA and the RAH, because the demand for supplies is that high in the later eras.

9. Thus far, I have only talked about the supply-side of supplies. As we advance into any period named "an Era" the supplies cost of everything goes up much faster than the coins cost of everything; that is everything except for purchasing our next forge point with coins. Unlocking technologies will cost more supplies in later eras than it did in the lower ages and constructing any type of building also starts costing more supplies as well in the later eras. Constructing just 1 FE Arcology will cost 1,517,000 supplies.
I left the Modern Era, which was actually still very good for producing a lot of supplies, with over 50 million supplies stockpiled. By the time I reached the Future Era, which was just before the 2016 Fall Event, and after I had remodeled my city in each era along the way, I only had 375K supplies stockpiled. That at-one-time huge stockpile of over 50 million supplies completely evaporated while I advanced later into the game. I even had to wait on some of my first FE supply productions to complete just so I could complete my first complete city remodel in FE.

Right in now, I've been questing in the Future Era since just before the 2016 Fall Event. Today, my coins stockpile sits at around 120 million and my supplies stockpile sits around 88 million. But keep in mind that this is after I've routinely spent 100s of millions of coins on forge points, either to power level my GBs through FP Swaps or to just swoop on a GB at-a-profit. My next single FP will actually cost me 228,800 coins, which means if I want to purchase 100 FPs right now with coins for a 1-time swap or a swoop, it's going to cost me a total of 23,127,500 coins for 100 FPs. This is actually something I do about once a week, spending millions of coins on purchasing FPs; and even with this, my coins production outpaces my supplies production.

Right now I'm in FE, where I'm running 35 Levitation Outlets to complete 7 x "Produce Supplies" quests, and about 2 to 3 x "Collect 1,000,000 Supplies" quests per day and all my productions are buffed by my LoA, which has been level 10 since way back in the Colonial Age. And on the days of the week when I don't make use of a Tavern construction boost or extra GE negotiations, I make use of the +60% supply production boost, on top of my LoA boost. And my StM just hit Level 9 three weeks ago and Level 10 just this week. Yet with all of these variables factored in, my city's coins production capacity far outpaces its supplies production capacity. The bonuses provided by StM are more efficient than those provided by LoA, which is why the game has the RAH.

But even with the disparity in the coins and supplies stockpiles I have, and can maintain, I can still afford to spam just about as many UBQs as I want to or have time to. With my level 10 CF bonus, which is +150%, then I'm scoring one of the following quest rewards (all of my FE quest have already paid me diamonds, so it's only medals from here on out for me in FE):
  • 13 x 1 random FE good
  • 2,250 medals
  • a 5-pack of FPs
  • 142.5K coins
  • 427.5K coins
  • 125K supplies
  • 375K supplies
  • 1 random BP from 1 random GB, from 1 random period between BA and FE
And for the chance to score any of the above rewards, I must pay 250K coins + 250K supplies to complete 1 UBQ.

DeletedUser27184

Great guide CR.

CR, I am just about finishing a sprint from colonial age up to industrial, and I thought to stop and park my city. I almost finished rebuilding it up (with the high quality buildings). Then I read your answer that it is better to park the city in the Modern era.
How big a difference is it between the two ages from the HQ POV? Is it worth to push forward even though I am just about now starting to park in?
Also, how many production building do you think it is reasonable for industrial age (15???), and how many for the modern era?

DeletedUser23444

Then I read your answer that it is better to park the city in the Modern era.

This is not at all what I said.

Q: So is parking in the Modern Era better than parking in the Industrial Age or the Colonial Age?

A:
This depends on what our current, and most important, gaming objective is.

If we already own all of the GBs that I recommended to construct and level up between HMA and Colonial, and we already have them all at level 10, then yes we should be moving up to higher eras. We should park in each era along the way, at least long enough to score diamonds from each recurring quest. In this scenario, we could park in ME a much longer time while producing a mountain of ME goods that we could either trade up for later-era goods (reducing the time we need to park in each era after ME but before FE), or we could trade ME goods down for more PE goods while selling both ME and PE goods in exchange for FPs donation to our GBs. All the while, we would be also scoring mad amounts of medals with which we could expand our city faster. For the purposes of producing Goods and/or Medals, heavy questing is just as effective in the later eras (provided we have leveled up our GBs enough to afford spamming UBQs) as it is in lower ages. While we score fewer packages of medals and goods, each individual package is worth more total value. For example, I might only score 1/3rd of the total goods packages here in FE as compared to how many goods packages I used to score per-day down in CA. But with my level 10 CF bonus, I'm scoring 13 FE goods per quest reward, which is so much more total value than scoring 13 CA goods per quest reward is. Therefore, it's not as much of a drop-off in total value that I produce fewer goods per day in FE, since the higher eras goods I am producing are that much more valuable.

However, if we have a city full of under-leveled GBs (below level 10), then what we need more than anything is more FPs that we can to swap to our GBs so they can level up faster. The Colonial Age is the best overall heavy questing age in this regard, since it allows us to complete the most total quests per-day of any time period in the game. The more quests we complete per-day, the more times per-day we score packages of: goods, medals, or forge points. This means we will score more 5 packs of FPs in CA than in any other time period in the game; the same goes for goods packages and the same thing goes for medals packages. As we advance to each period later than CA, we start to lose the total number of quests we can complete per-day, which means we will score far fewer FP packs per-day, which means we will have fewer FPs from quest rewards to swap to our GBs, and they will not level up as fast in the later eras. So my advice is always remain in the Colonial Age until all of our GBs are level 10, because that is the age where we can produce the most FPs per-day, with which we level up our GBs through FP Swaps.

So if 100% of all your GBs are not level 10, then do yourself a huge favor and park in the Colonial Age until they are all level 10, it will help you so much more when you advance to the later eras. This is especially true for any GBs we will construct that pay a 24-hour FP production such as: HS, CdM, IT, and AO. (I'm not a fan of constructing Cape Canaveral at all and I will post why in great detail at a later date.) By pushing these GBs up to level 10 in the lower ages, when we have access to more FPs-per-day through quest rewards, we are also helping our later-era advancement by increasing how many FPs-per-day and FPs-per-tile that our city can produce in those higher eras. So in the later eras, when heavy questing will produce fewer additional FPs per-day for us, our FP-producing GBs are ready to step in and fill that gap in lost daily FP production.

If you have already advanced past the Colonial age, and you have a bunch of under-leveled GBs, then stay parked in the Industrial Age until your GBs are level 10. The "Produce Supplies" quests in Ind are "Produce 4 x <24-hour productions>" and there is a still tiny a 2x3 Gunsmith supply building to quest with (see my Ind city plan I posted earlier).

If you have already advanced past the Industrial Age, and you have a bunch of under-leveled GBs, then stay parked in the Modern Era until your GBs are level 10. The "Produce Supplies" quests in ME are "Produce 5 x <24-hour productions>" and there is a modest sized 3x3 Hatter supply building to quest with that only requires 1-lane roads.

DeletedUser23444

The medal count is incorrect. The base amount is 75 medals, I have 100% bonus (CF level 6) and I get 150 medals from each medal package.

The base package for Colonial Age is actually 70 medals; I know this because I didn't have CF when I started out in Colonial Age. However, you are correct that when you own a CF in Colonial Age All of the buffed medals packages you score are calculated as if the base medals package is 75 medals and not 70 medals. A few of us ran into this back in CA and we found it quite confusing back then what was going on. At the time we thought the CF bonus had a rounding error or something.

When I typed the post you quoted early I just did the math based one what I know the base medals package is. But there is some calculation error going on there that CA players who own CF benefit from.

EDIT: It also doesn't help that I used 150% of the base package and not (100% + 150%) of the base medals package when I typed up medals for both Ca and ME. I've edited my earlier post to reflect the correct numbers.

DeletedUser28702

As a paperweight.

Do not use any of these multi-production option buildings in a Heavy Questing city, until you have advanced to PME or a later era, even for the purposes of producing: forge points, medals, or goods. They all consume way too much land and way too much population.

These kinds of buildings are best used in PME or later, to produce Discounted Refined Goods (see Glossary of Terms for discussion on this).

To expound on this, I have an Industrial city, which I am trying to convert into a Heavy Questing city (I know, but better late than never, and in another year, who knows? I might be caught up) which currently has several buildings that need to go, including the MB, kiosk, witch doctor, and cider mill, plus several Tribal Squares from GE. I have one storage box. Are any of these worth saving for later ages, or are they just fodder for my coin and supplies quests now?

DeletedUser23444

To expound on this, I have an Industrial city, which currently has several buildings that need to go, including the MB, kiosk, witch doctor, and cider mill, plus several Tribal Squares from GE. I have one storage box. Are any of these worth saving for later ages, or are they just fodder for my coin and supplies quests now?

If you only have one storage kit, then save the Kiosk; and also keep 1 Renovation Kit in reserve for it for when you advance to a later era. My Kiosk is age-locked to FE, which means I can produce 5 discounted FE goods every 24 hours with only these production costs:

1. The Kiosk only costs us a very tiny 3 x 2 plot of land, which is much smaller than most conventional goods production buildings in the game, and smaller than all the FE ones that are all MASSIVE.

2. The Kiosk fit in the 1-lane road district of our city.

3. Not only does the Kiosk have 0 population cost, it is in fact technically a residential building, which provides us 1 population in any time period. So think of it like a King or Queen that pays 24-hour goods.

4. The Kiosk only costs us 2 happiness in any time period.

5. The Kiosk consumes no: coins, supplies, or unrefined goods in order to produce its 5 refined goods every 24 hours.

6. In addition, the 5 goods the Kiosk produces can never be plundered.
If I could construct a whole row of these, all locked to FE I would.

You will score many, many more Tribal Squares; I've already scored 3 of them and they've only been in the game two weeks now. You will also score many more multi-production buildings. However a tiny free-goods producer like the Kiosk does not come around very often.

DeletedUser28015

I have also moved over to completing the daily 60 Clockmaker grind on my iPad, as the abort cycle is very much faster. It is quiet a hassle in the browser, especially if I'm on my work computer which is significantly slower. I do all my other playing in the browser though, things like motivating/taverning, and especially leveling your partner's GBs are much less effective in the mobile UI.

I've found that aiding and taverning is faster on mobile. Start at your rightmost friend and move left ... it will automatically pop the next friend into place. I have a lot of overlap between friends and guild so it's not so efficient for aiding guildies, but still pretty good (I could do better by moving to another guild, keeping most of my current guildies as friends ... one of these days).

PvP I do on the browser, of course ... but with the number of medals from HQ, I only fight for fun, and most of the time I skip the PvP grind and just aid neighbors to pick up occasional BP and quick cash for the recurring coins quest.

DeletedUser28015

This includes skipping technologies that unlock land expansions!

It's possible to skip the entire middle of the HMA tech tree, from Quality Products through Waterwheels. This includes 4 expansions. Should we skip it, or some part of it?

Also, there are 3 skippable expansions at the end of EMA. Should some or all of those be skipped?

Thank you for your invaluable and extensive help, Cosmic.

DeletedUser28446

It's possible to skip the entire middle of the HMA tech tree, from Quality Products through Waterwheels. This includes 4 expansions. Should we skip it, or some part of it?

Also, there are 3 skippable expansions at the end of EMA. Should some or all of those be skipped?

Thank you for your invaluable and extensive help, Cosmic.
I was thinking the same since I just got not the HMA. I think CR is intending to illustrate your concerns in detail. I myself was going to bypass several techs but still obtaining town house tech for the population in HMA and just quest for several weeks in this age, Save my FPs and carry them over till I hit CA.
I would guess you could pass those expansions in EMA and save those techs for event quests, unless you need the space.

DeletedUser23444

It's possible to skip the entire middle of the HMA tech tree, from Quality Products through Waterwheels. This includes 4 expansions. Should we skip it, or some part of it? Also, there are 3 skippable expansions at the end of EMA. Should some or all of those be skipped?

I already answered your question.

Folks, I can only write this stuff. You must read it slowly and carefully. Now read the section highlighted below and guess what my answer is.

IMPORTANT: In a Tech Sprint, we always skip any and all technologies that can be skipped in order to reduce the total cost of sprinting from heavy questing in our current age to heavy questing in the next age we advance to. We also try to leave all skipped technologies behind, having never unlocked them — we just pass them completely by. We need to save as many skipped techs as possible, so that we always have one we can unlock during a special event to complete an event quest to "Research a technology". This includes skipping technologies that unlock land expansions! Why would we skip land expansions, when they are the second most valuable resource? Because once we get to the most effective, efficient, and lucrative Heavy Questing age, which is the Colonial Age, then we are going to park there for several months while we construct and level up all of our GBs to level 10. This means we need as many techs left in our Tech Tree that are not unlocked in case a special event forces us to complete an event quest to "Research a technology". If we did not skip any techs along the way, and we unlocked every tech, then we might be forced out of our current heavy questing age sooner than we want to. It is much more valuable to have techs left in our tech tree that we skipped earlier, than it is to unlock those tech land expansions sooner. In the end, our city will expand faster as another player's city does, because we unlock Victory Expansions, which cost medals, at a ridiculously faster rate than other players do.

When a special event quest makes you research a technology, that is when you unlock those land expansions. We get like 1-2 events per month in this game.

DeletedUser28015

I already answer your question.

Folks, I can only write this stuff. You must read it slowly and carefully. Now read the section highlighted below and guess what my answer is.

When something seems so radical and counterintuitive, it's nice to get explicit confirmation. Thanks.

DeletedUser23444

When something seems so radical and counterintuitive, it's nice to get explicit confirmation. Thanks.

Q: Why the Hell do you tell me to do things in the Heavy Questing Strategy that are so radically different compared to the gaming advice I get from most other FoE players?

A: We are willing to set aside some short-term progress in many areas of FoE, in order to rapidly accelerate our total FoE progress, which will eventually allow us to bypass other players who play the game the same amount of time as us, but they continue to follow the more conventional gaming wisdom.

As you the read through this guide, you must understand that the Heavy Questing Strategy, in its entirety, is like an interwoven tapestry — it is not a bunch of individual strands of gaming advice. Each strand of advice supports some other strand of advice. This strategy includes strands of advice advocating game choices that might not make sense to you at first, especially when you read that strand of advice in isolation, without understanding the context of how it ties to another strand of advice you haven't read yet. Similarly, you cannot pull one strand of advice out of the tapestry of this strategy that some other players might not agree with, without starting to unravel the entire strategy contained in the design of the tapestry itself. Trust me when I say that, within the context of this Heavy Questing Strategy, every individual strand of advice usually has more than one justified reason behind it, even if you cannot recognize it right away. The inverse is also true, where we have discarded certain gaming choices from the current version of the Heavy Questing Strategy, that might have been an integral part of a past version of a different questing strategy, but it simply no longer provides as much value in today's version of the Heavy Questing Strategy.

Most other FoE players are playing what I call the equivalent of "FoE Checkers". They are thinking about this game's pieces and the more familiar and comfortable ways those pieces typically move about — a conventional way. I'm coaching you in the equivalent of "FoE Chess". We are turning the game of FoE inside-out and upside-down, and we are planning moves-within-moves, in preparation for future moves-within-moves. This is why I spend the time to type up a comprehensive guide — this is not simple stuff, it took me and a dozen other players over 2 years to figure all of this out.

As radical concepts relate to city expansion, we essentially flip-flop the natural order in which a player would normally add land expansions to a city.

Conventional players "Race through the Tech Tree" (see Glossary) and also "Race across the C Map" (again, see Glossary) and these players grab all the easy land expansions as fast as they can. These easy land expansions are like a drug, and such players metaphorically "blow their entire paycheck" in order to indulge in this drug. But after having blown their metaphorical paycheck, then the monthly bills come due in the form of a special event where there is invariably a quest to: "research a technology" or to "scout/negotiate/infiltrate/conquer a sector or a province" on the C Map. And these quests must be completed in order to score a special prize.

The conventional players who race through the game's content at warp speed are much more likely than us to end up in a tight spot in the game , because their advance has raced ahead of their capability. They might not have access to the goods required to unlock a technology; or, they might be forced to research a technology in the next later time period, which means that their next week of GE is going to be that much more difficult. They might end up in a place on the C Map where the next province they can conquer is very tough compared to their currently unlocked unit technology plus their total combat bonus. Conventional players also tend to advance through time periods too quickly, arriving in later periods with a city of under-leveled GBs that are little-more than a huge waste of goods and land. And conventional players never score even a tiny fraction of the total resource revenues that we can score through heavy questing rewards.

In contrast, players using Heavy Questing expand their city primarily with Diamond Expansions and Victory Expansions (medals) at first, since we can produce more of these resources through heavy questing. We defer acquiring the land expansions in both the Tech Tree and the C Map, for when we need to complete a quest for a special event. This way whenever a special event comes along that offers us a very good special building, we can always complete such quests to unlock a previously-skipped tech that gives us a land expansion, or to scout/infiltrate/negotiate/conquer a province or sector on the C Map that leads to more land. This ensures that we can always complete the special event quest line, and score all of the interesting special buildings, while we remain parked in the period in which we want to continue heavy questing. This allows us to continue working heavy questing effectively and to continue swapping more FPs to level up our GBs much faster.

In Heavy Questing, the worst thing we can do is get forced to advance past the age that we really want to remain parked in for awhile before we have amassed all the resources required to tech print to our next questing age. We don't want to be the fastest fish in the pond, which means we are likely to end up being a small fish in a big pond; instead we want to be the biggest fish in whatever pond we are in so that we can easily gobble up all the other little fish.

In fact, we have exactly such an event coming up next with the Historical Questline: Albert Einstein that will offer us the chance to score the new Checkmate Square (it has the same stats as the Speaker's Corner).

DeletedUser28712

hi! I have been thinking about better ways to speed the development of my city and when i found your guide i knew your ideas where quite good. Its a superb work man. I am still trying to understand everything that is part of the main idea, then i begun to simulate how my city would be, and then i saw your answer #86 where you showed us a kind of map of your city, may i ask you if this is some kind of program or spreadsheet to simulate a city ? Where can i find that tool ? ty in advance.

yochananmichael

hi! I have been thinking about better ways to speed the development of my city and when i found your guide i knew your ideas where quite good. Its a superb work man. I am still trying to understand everything that is part of the main idea, then i begun to simulate how my city would be, and then i saw your answer #86 where you showed us a kind of map of your city, may i ask you if this is some kind of program or spreadsheet to simulate a city ? Where can i find that tool ? ty in advance.

CR used a spreadsheet but there is another good tool here http://foemanager.com/city-planner/. I use that and it works great

DeletedUser23444

I have planned my own FoE city in Microsoft Excel, going back about two years now. I actually have most buildings in the entire game, and the entire Tech Tree in Excel. So what you see in my posts here are screen grabs of my earlier city plans in Excel. Very soon, I'll be completing the city design section of the article using a version of my own City up in Future Era as talking points. I feel that letting everyone see where the strategy goes might help understand the rationale that goes into some of the early game decisions I coach players into making.

However there is an excellent online city planning tool that you can use to create your own city plans. You must register (for free) to create an account. One very nice feature of it is that we can pull any city, from any player, from any world, from any county up into the planner and start with an existing city.

foemanager.com — Click here to check out FoE Manager

If you want to pull my current city in for practice, you need to enter

"Cosmic Raven" (no quotes for the player name)
us (country code)
us13 (Noarsil)

And Foe Manager will pull my current, Future Era, city in as a city plan and see how exactly I've laid out my roads and my current GB levels and special buildings.