• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

qaccy

@iAmArtemis It was years ago for me, but CA and Indy were my worst ages for supplies as well. Houses get replaced quickly and in large numbers, and they're pretty expensive in these ages. It wasn't until building RAH that I was finally able to stabilize and recover a bit of a supply stockpile. I was also not camping and focused fully on research though, which definitely exacerbated the supply issue. It was worth it to me though!

@cb014 Short version: If you're not using diamonds, just get the single level 7 pillar.

Long version: 6 upgrades are needed for one level 7 pillar, which takes up 9 squares. Two pillars take up 18 squares, and requires 8 upgrades for two level 5s or 6 for a level 5 and a level 3. Factoring in what you'll get from the event normally (4 upgrades), this leaves you needing to win two upgrades for a level 7, a pillar and 4 upgrades for two level 5s, or two upgrades and a pillar for a level 5 and level 3. The level 7 is the most efficient option. Two level 5s requires winning 2.5x more prizes for 1.33x more FP gain and 2x more space used, and the 5+3 requires 1.5x more prizes for 2x the space used.

Barrel Aged

Also in my personal opinion LMA is a very profitable era for questing and should not be skipped as this guide advises.

In this entire thread, I think this is the only time this opinion was stated. Which is too bad, since it's correct.

The jump in UBQ cost and "Collect Supplies" from LMA to CA makes CA less attractive in terms of quests per day per tile, and it's not particularly close.

DeletedUser29218

In this entire thread, I think this is the only time this opinion was stated. Which is too bad, since it's correct.

The jump in UBQ cost and "Collect Supplies" from LMA to CA makes CA less attractive in terms of quests per day per tile, and it's not particularly close.

Actually, I compared CA vs HMA and I know HMA is better. But, for some reason I can't explain, I forgot to compare HMA vs LMA. I'll do so when I'm bored.

DeletedUser32724

well CA is also good because it's the last of the super efficient times to HQS. You get more medals, higher goods, have more space unlocked, and are getting a wider range of blueprints. I've seen plenty of HMA cities with very large great buildings but not much space for other things, which hampers you in a lot of ways. Also the coin/supply production increases of CA buildings should match roughly the UBQ cost and the 3x2 clockmaker are certainly the same size as alchemists. Even assuming the rather riskyy assumption that you have equal space as a CA city, I can't see HMA beating CA ever. At best its even, and even if it does beat number of daily average quests, the rewards are not as valuable. I'm going to run the numbers for my beginning HMA city I have and my beg/mid range CA.

DeletedUser31308

well CA is also good because it's the last of the super efficient times to HQS. You get more medals, higher goods, have more space unlocked, and are getting a wider range of blueprints. I've seen plenty of HMA cities with very large great buildings but not much space for other things, which hampers you in a lot of ways. Also the coin/supply production increases of CA buildings should match roughly the UBQ cost and the 3x2 clockmaker are certainly the same size as alchemists. Even assuming the rather riskyy assumption that you have equal space as a CA city, I can't see HMA beating CA ever. At best its even, and even if it does beat number of daily average quests, the rewards are not as valuable. I'm going to run the numbers for my beginning HMA city I have and my beg/mid range CA.

I'm camping in HMA and my calculations showed it would have better payoffs than CA. But that was based on a couple things specific to my city.

1) I have an IT and SoKs as my only housing. This means my gold income won't change when entering CA, while the Collect Coins quest requires more coins, reducing those quests.
2) My city is focused on FP production, not just general HQS. This means I am using FP producing buildings over Alchemists whenever possible (TF, SSW, SoK). I produce over 100 FPs/day on average, all of which I swap, and I also snipe frequently with my lvl 16 Arc. As such, a much larger portion of my quests are from "Spend FP" quests. The "Spend FP" quests in CA cost more, reducing that quest count.
3) I have unlocked, and continue to unlock, many medal expansions from swapping with Arcs. As such, the expansions I would get from advancing my Tech become more negligible. I believe it was less than 10% more space when I looked at it. Also, my medals from Arc donations far outnumber the medals I'd get from quests either in CA or HMA, so the medal difference doesn't really matter.

Another thing, not specific to my city, is that the production increase from Clockmakers does not match the increase in UBQ difficulty. For my city, supplies are already holding my UBQs back. CA UBQs cost 4x more while Clockmakers only produce 1.76x that of Alchemists. My UBQs would be cut roughly in half as a result.

Basically, the only upside to jumping to CA was a small increase in space and also the second recurring quest slot. The better goods/medals are negligible for my city. The second quest slots increased efficiency turned out to be outweighed by the increases in quest requirements across the board.

DeletedUser32724

That makes sense to me. An HMA arc rush could definitely work to create expansions.

Here's my numbers for reference. Here's the new HMA city about 2months old. I complete 51 quests with production daily. Needs an StM, which will add a few more UBQs a day.edit.jpg

And here's my main city, which isn't that big as I only just discovered HQS 3months ago while still in CA. I had been playing conventially and very slowlyyyyy. The city is actually really old (I was on and off player). I complete about 88 quests just from city production and more from bonus rewards from GE, Fp packs used etc.
foe.jpg

End result is CA for my two cities is slightly more efficient. Though I suppose the real question you pose is whether my HMA city should stay in HMA or move to CA. I'll have to run those numbers when I finish the prescribed HMA park and see if I wanna extend it. Interesting option. I'll compare my HMA city to the same city size in CA. My reservation is still if they complete equal numbers of quests each day, I'd prefer to be doing that in CA. I guess the arc rush can happen in either age so medals are moot.

DeletedUser31308

That makes sense to me. An HMA arc rush could definitely work to create expansions.

Here's my numbers for reference. Here's the new HMA city about 2months old. I complete 51 quests with production daily. Needs an StM, which will add a few more UBQs a day.View attachment 9273

And here's my main city, which isn't that big as I only just discovered HQS 3months ago while still in CA. I had been playing conventially and very slowlyyyyy. The city is actually really old (I was on and off player). I complete about 88 quests just from city production and more from bonus rewards from GE, Fp packs used etc.
View attachment 9274

End result is CA for my two cities is slightly more efficient. Though I suppose the real question you pose is whether my HMA city should stay in HMA or move to CA. I'll have to run those numbers when I finish the prescribed HMA park and see if I wanna extend it. Interesting option. I'll compare my HMA city to the same city size in CA. My reservation is still if they complete equal numbers of quests each day, I'd prefer to be doing that in CA. I guess the arc rush can happen in either age so medals are moot.
Think of the CA rush as a 1000 FP investment, and think of it in terms of ROI. Will I get better ROI putting 1000 FPs into the rush, or into my Arc? It helps put your options in perspective.

Edit: Sorry, I believe is it actually 1500 FP for the Tech to get to clockmakers. Not sure why my brain let me type 1000.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31498

Think of the CA rush as a 1000 FP investment, and think of it in terms of ROI. Will I get better ROI putting 1000 FPs into the rush, or into my Arc? It helps put your options in perspective.

Do you all fight/negotiate through GE? Seems if one prefers fighting, then HMA has that added bonus of being easier? Also does one build the ToR in HQS?

DeletedUser29218

The comparison between your 2 cities is very unfair for different reasons, and I think you are not aware about all of them. I like the approach you took with the sheet though.

1. I don't know how you define your "feedback ratio" and how it interacts with the rest of the spreadsheet, but I get a different number of feedback UBQs (slitghly higher).
2. Your are comparing a "developed" CA city to a "new" HMA city.
3. Your CA city seems to be much MUCH larger than the other (and I don't mean the expansions from just 2 eras). Not sure about how many medal/diamond expansions you have unlocked there during your on/off periods.
4. Coins generation - Houses - Inno Tower (everything is related).
-After camping for not that long, your coin production will vastly overpowers supply production (as you will get some SoKs/SSW). This means that the biggest advantage of HMA doesn't show in the comparison of your 2 cities. Moreover, in CA you have StM at a mid lvl, which balances coins and supplies there, skewing even more the comparison in favour of CA.
-Houses... don't you have too many? You should build the minimum houses necesary to hold your production buildings, nothing more. Even if it seems you are stockpiling lots of supplies, that pool will eventually become empty.
-IT. Same thing. In HMA we have less space, but that space is more efficient because we can do more quests/tile while in HMA.
5. You are missing donate FP quests, and posible snipes which results in more quest as well.
6. I think you overleveled LoA. In your sheet, change the LoA bonus for the previous lvl, then see how much the FP production drops. Finally, think if that was a good investment, compared to other ways of increasing FP production.

If you haven't recommend you to read my arc 80 guide, FAQ section. Might shed some light into the topic.

Yep, I agree that it should be looked in terms of ROI. However, it is much more than 1000FP. 1000FP is only the cost to go through LMA. Then you have the end of HMA research, the beginning of Colonial, and all the resources spent in rebuilding the city that could be spent in UBQs. From the top of my head, I think it was closer to 2.5k FP.

Do you all fight/negotiate through GE? Seems if one prefers fighting, then HMA has that added bonus of being easier? Also does one build the ToR in HQS?
Fighting in HMA is much much easier, not only because you fight against lower bonuses, but because rogues oneshot mounted archers, archers (except in lvl 4) and if lucky enough, fast units too. But anyway, RQ in both eras produces so many goods that I would go as far as saying this is irrelevant.

About the TOR, according to CR words guild expedition is a "big gamble" that doesn't worth the resources spent, and ToR just makes it worse. Something along these lines at least, he even recommended someone to delete ToR xD.
According to almost anyone else who has spent weeks doing RQs in either era, GE are almost free gifts, and ToR should be build and kept lvl 1 (the lvl 1 is my thing, everyone has different opinions on that).

Last edited:

DeletedUser31308

I negotiate it all, as I can easily afford to do so. I'm working on starting to fight some to save goods, but it wont make a huge difference.

DeletedUser32439

what is the best quest for the 2nd recurring. would you leave it on a particular quest all day or change it to suit.

has anyone tryed to get a CF in bronze age..

DeletedUser31440

what is the best quest for the 2nd recurring. would you leave it on a particular quest all day or change it to suit.

has anyone tryed to get a CF in bronze age..

I haven't moved a city up into CA to get the 2nd RQ giver yet, but my thinking is keep it on gather supplies all day. You'll be able to keep it there for all the gather 2x productions, gather x amount of coins, spend x fp's, and UBQ's that you do throughout the day. I built a CF calculator and added in a 2nd RQ giver option and used the above thought process for building it in. If someone has a more efficient use of the 2nd RQ giver though, please let me know what it is.

DeletedUser27184

I haven't moved a city up into CA to get the 2nd RQ giver yet, but my thinking is keep it on gather supplies all day.
Ya, I found out that for me the 2nd quest is usually on supplies. I am not sure why, but after some days running the gold quest vs. the supply quest, I got more out of the supply quest.

DeletedUser29218

Ya, I found out that for me the 2nd quest is usually on supplies. I am not sure why, but after some days running the gold quest vs. the supply quest, I got more out of the supply quest.

When you are doing 2x24h you are also collecting supplies, so it's a good idea to have that one.

DeletedUser31498

The comparison between your 2 cities is very unfair for different reasons, and I think you are not aware about all of them. I like the approach you took with the sheet though.

1. I don't know how you define your "feedback ratio" and how it interacts with the rest of the spreadsheet, but I get a different number of feedback UBQs (slitghly higher).
2. Your are comparing a "developed" CA city to a "new" HMA city.
3. Your CA city seems to be much MUCH larger than the other (and I don't mean the expansions from just 2 eras). Not sure about how many medal/diamond expansions you have unlocked there during your on/off periods.
4. Coins generation - Houses - Inno Tower (everything is related).
-After camping for not that long, your coin production will vastly overpowers supply production (as you will get some SoKs/SSW). This means that the biggest advantage of HMA doesn't show in the comparison of your 2 cities. Moreover, in CA you have StM at a mid lvl, which balances coins and supplies there, skewing even more the comparison in favour of CA.
-Houses... don't you have too many? You should build the minimum houses necesary to hold your production buildings, nothing more. Even if it seems you are stockpiling lots of supplies, that pool will eventually become empty.
-IT. Same thing. In HMA we have less space, but that space is more efficient because we can do more quests/tile while in HMA.
5. You are missing donate FP quests, and posible snipes which results in more quest as well.
6. I think you overleveled LoA. In your sheet, change the LoA bonus for the previous lvl, then see how much the FP production drops. Finally, think if that was a good investment, compared to other ways of increasing FP production.

If you haven't recommend you to read my arc 80 guide, FAQ section. Might shed some light into the topic.

Yep, I agree that it should be looked in terms of ROI. However, it is much more than 1000FP. 1000FP is only the cost to go through LMA. Then you have the end of HMA research, the beginning of Colonial, and all the resources spent in rebuilding the city that could be spent in UBQs. From the top of my head, I think it was closer to 2.5k FP.

Fighting in HMA is much much easier, not only because you fight against lower bonuses, but because rogues oneshot mounted archers, archers (except in lvl 4) and if lucky enough, fast units too. But anyway, RQ in both eras produces so many goods that I would go as far as saying this is irrelevant.

About the TOR, according to CR words guild expedition is a "big gamble" that doesn't worth the resources spent, and ToR just makes it worse. Something along these lines at least, he even recommended someone to delete ToR xD.
According to almost anyone else who has spent weeks doing RQs in either era, GE are almost free gifts, and ToR should be build and kept lvl 1 (the lvl 1 is my thing, everyone has different opinions on that).

Sorry I know this isn't the focus, but for negotiating, when you do choose to activate the 4th turn boost? Once you get to 8 options I feel like it's tough (need to keep data to figure out odds of winning with 3 guesses and X goods, not good enough at programming to monte carlo) without the boost

DeletedUser31308

Sorry I know this isn't the focus, but for negotiating, when you do choose to activate the 4th turn boost? Once you get to 8 options I feel like it's tough (need to keep data to figure out odds of winning with 3 guesses and X goods, not good enough at programming to monte carlo) without the boost
I have over 170k silver already saved up in my city that's only 100 days old. As such, I basically always activate the 4th turn boost while negotiating. Only time I do not is when I have a 100% negotiation chance without it (for me, that means the # of guesses is equal or one less than the number of different options).

DeletedUser31440

My thinking on it goes that it is the only RQ option you can always have open for the 2nd RQ that doesn't block you from doing one of the main 4 RQ's: UBQ, Produce x 24 Hour, Collect x Coins, and Spend x fp's.