• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Dulahan's guidelines to lvl 80 arc rush (and beyond), starting from bronze age

• Thread starter DeletedUser29218
  • Start date

DeletedUser29726

I usually just plan in segments. i.e. "Well i want those 7 expansions next, so I'll start taking them and use them inefficiently until i get enough of them to be close to what I planned to do with them". When adding additional long columns/rows sometimes it can work best in the interim to add 2 expansions worth of width for what length you can do so that you have a road between a set of 3 high/wide buildings and a set of 4 high/wide buildings

DeletedUser35894

Sorry, long day friends. I'll study your posts tomorrow. Much thanks.

DeletedUser29218

@Sadarta. Planning for the "perfect" distribution of expansions is either impossible or has too little return on investment (in terms of time) because there will always be some events with overpowered buildings that will invalidate your plans. I did redesign my city every time I was going to add an expansion, but in hindsight I wouldn't do it again. You spent a lot of time and the difference in production isn't THAT big. If you have spare time I recommend you to update the frecuency of your "sniping rounds"and to what xivarmy suggested for city planning.

DeletedUser35894

Does this look reasonable as one variation if I wanted to put in a traz? 5AFQV9Q6NX There's a bit of a problem for not enough room for 2x2's using the template I posted earlier. Bottom row with houses would have SOK's, but they weren't coming up in FOEmanager...lots of special buildings were missing. I might be having browser incompatibility issues. I have more SOK's then that as well.

I'm sorry for the long delay. RL is kicking my butt. All the help is much appreciated.

@HQS cant join forum I didn't quite follow what he was saying, but I haven't had a lot of time to go over all the replies thoroughly. Did you no longer really recommend the template you had in the past that I reposted? Seems hard to have room for 2x2's?

What does anyone think a spiral style city?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29726

Does this look reasonable as one variation if I wanted to put in a traz? 5AFQV9Q6NX There's a bit of a problem for not enough room for 2x2's using the template I posted earlier. Bottom row with houses would have SOK's, but they weren't coming up in FOEmanager...lots of special buildings were missing. I might be having browser incompatibility issues. I have more SOK's then that as well.

I'm sorry for the long delay. RL is kicking my butt. All the help is much appreciated.

@HQS cant join forum I didn't quite follow what he was saying, but I haven't had a lot of time to go over all the replies thoroughly. Did you no longer really recommend the template you had in the past that I reposted? Seems hard to have room for 2x2's?

What does anyone think a spiral style city?

I've done spiral cities in low ages - they're neat, but can be hard to adapt. They're best suited to layouts with large numbers of square buildings that don't care which way the road runs.

How much space you need for 2x2s varies a lot. Long ago SoKs were the clear best option by far. Now there's a few things better than them and many things that are at least close enough to be an alternative. If you've got a lot of SoKs already I'd find room for them somewhere - if not I wouldn't worry too much about planning for space for more. Personally my FP building list on yorkton though:

13 terrace farms = 65 FP
2 ships = 8 FP soon (6 FP atm, waiting for last upgrade to pirate on 2nd)
1 magnum opus = 3 FP
1 tholos = 4 FP
1 black tower = 3 FP
2 pillar of heroes = 5 FP (one not fully upgraded)
1 grand bridge = 3 FP
15 shrines = 15 FP
2 sacred sky = 2 FP
total daily FP from non-GB collections : 108 ; aid needed : 24

This allows me to keep a much smaller friendlist and not panic over who's aiding or not. The shrines slide into small spots where it's hard to fit other things nicely and i usually prefer them near intersections as there's less 'extra' cost to having a 2x2 with road on two sides than a bigger building.

DeletedUser29218

Did you no longer really recommend the template you had in the past that I reposted? Seems hard to have room for 2x2's?

Sorry, I don't remember exactly what I posted and where (been a long time). If it's about Randy's layout (which I borrowed from CR's thread), it was to show how single square roads could be used to link several large buildings.

The way I see it, you can't really plan that much where to put the expansions. You'll think that "x" rows is the ideal amount to be able to fit "n" alchemist + a row of Soks (just an example), only for the cherry event to arrive and mess with your whole setup. That's why I think a overall squarish city is better because it has higher flexibility.

PS: Questions like these are very related to the influx of new events, and without playing I can only provide surface-level knowledge, so I think it's finally time to step down and provide the guide "as is". I'm sure the comments will keep it alive, as it has been happening until now.

Last edited:

DeletedUser35894

I've done spiral cities in low ages - they're neat, but can be hard to adapt. They're best suited to layouts with large numbers of square buildings that don't care which way the road runs.

How much space you need for 2x2s varies a lot. Long ago SoKs were the clear best option by far. Now there's a few things better than them and many things that are at least close enough to be an alternative. If you've got a lot of SoKs already I'd find room for them somewhere - if not I wouldn't worry too much about planning for space for more. Personally my FP building list on yorkton though:

13 terrace farms = 65 FP
2 ships = 8 FP soon (6 FP atm, waiting for last upgrade to pirate on 2nd)
1 magnum opus = 3 FP
1 tholos = 4 FP
1 black tower = 3 FP
2 pillar of heroes = 5 FP (one not fully upgraded)
1 grand bridge = 3 FP
15 shrines = 15 FP
2 sacred sky = 2 FP
total daily FP from non-GB collections : 108 ; aid needed : 24

This allows me to keep a much smaller friendlist and not panic over who's aiding or not. The shrines slide into small spots where it's hard to fit other things nicely and i usually prefer them near intersections as there's less 'extra' cost to having a 2x2 with road on two sides than a bigger building.

Well, I have a fairly new account, so no Pillar or Bridge. I barely knew what I was doing and didn't finish it up until I got the last piece in a daily quest. I don't if there will ever be a way to get all pieces up to lvl 2. I have 2 pieces of the Indian set, hopefully it stays long enough in the DC's for me to get it. I have a Tholos at max, 1 SSW, 10 SOK's, The Cherry Set and I got enough in this quest for a Royal Ship.

What's really better than the SOK's to have for a non-spender. The ship I hear is close, but counting roads isn't quite there. Tholos is great. Some of these other event buildings are clearly nice, just not sure we can count on them as readily. The SOK's give a nice coin benefit to help replace the houses too.

The Cherry Set throws off a whole section as I have it now, perhaps I need to put it at the bottom all the time. That's what @ThruTHEhead seems to be doing with stuff that would otherwise throw off a whole row. I was going to do that with my Arc if I don't add the Inno and Traz just yet. If I do I was going to put them all up top as I showed.

Now HQS is saying maybe more squarish. The big dilemma I guess is do I stay odd or even for my width. I know you guys are saying you can change it up with your expansions, but I honestly don't know yet how my Arc progress will go, so don't know if I'll be getting the medals you guys have. Plus it's still a pretty low max expansion amount for HMA.

DeletedUser35894

Sorry, I don't remember exactly what I posted and where (been a long time). If it's about Randy's layout (which I borrowed from CR's thread), it was to show how single square roads could be used to link several large buildings.

The way I see it, you can't really plan that much where to put the expansions. You'll think that "x" rows is the ideal amount to be able to fit "n" alchemist + a row of Soks (just an example), only for the cherry event to arrive and mess with your whole setup. That's why I think a overall squarish city is better because it has higher flexibility.

PS: Questions like these are very related to the influx of new events, and without playing I can only provide surface-level knowledge, so I think it's finally time to step down and provide the guide "as is". I'm sure the comments will keep it alive, as it has been happening until now.

It was this one.

Yes, cherry kinda messed me up and I have a spot on my left side where one row only has one row of buildings because of it, instead of back to back buildings sandwiched between two roads. This is why I don't see why roads on the edge are always bad as either way you are going to sometimes have that one wasted road, depending on what you have going...and an expansion set could be added on that side and then Alchemists go in.

Thanks for the guide and thread, I understand If you don't want to be active in it any longer.

Attachments

• FAD72B28-64ED-4DEF-B30B-6F9B261C3C69.jpg
    FAD72B28-64ED-4DEF-B30B-6F9B261C3C69.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 17

DeletedUser35894

If you are getting some Eastern European language when trying to choose the world, you are not on the .us server. Select that and the rest will work.

I've tried, I select the UK/US flag at the top even though it already say EN with the White, Blue and Red flag. Says it will change on reload, but it goes back to that flag, but the language on the splash page is English. Most menus inside are until getting to the choose worlds area at which point I try to change the Flag again. I have no clue what the issue is. Perhaps it's not setup the best for Safari. I'll try Chrome.

To post the pics to where they appear imbedded rather than an attachment I assume you have to have the file hosted? I tried Imgur and it didn't work...it also rejected half my attachments, but seem to work for me now that I'm not on mobile. I'm used to just linking things off Imgur not what photobucket charges. Never had a problem on another forum, but I haven't been here long enough to learn the ins and outs.

DeletedUser31440

I've tried, I select the UK/US flag at the top even though it already say EN with the White, Blue and Red flag. Says it will change on reload, but it goes back to that flag, but the language on the splash page is English. Most menus inside are until getting to the choose worlds area at which point I try to change the Flag again. I have no clue what the issue is. Perhaps it's not setup the best for Safari. I'll try Chrome.

To post the pics to where they appear imbedded rather than an attachment I assume you have to have the file hosted? I tried Imgur and it didn't work...it also rejected half my attachments, but seem to work for me now that I'm not on mobile. I'm used to just linking things off Imgur not what photobucket charges. Never had a problem on another forum, but I haven't been here long enough to learn the ins and outs.

I don't host any of my pictures, if the upload stops and won't continue your files are probably just too large, resize them and retry.

DeletedUser35894

I don't host any of my pictures, if the upload stops and won't continue your files are probably just too large, resize them and retry.

If you don't host them, how do you post them where they are embedded? I only see an option at the bottom for uploading, which makes them an attachment. The other options up top all require a link (hosted). Thanks

DeletedUser29726

Well, I have a fairly new account, so no Pillar or Bridge. I barely knew what I was doing and didn't finish it up until I got the last piece in a daily quest. I don't if there will ever be a way to get all pieces up to lvl 2. I have 2 pieces of the Indian set, hopefully it stays long enough in the DC's for me to get it. I have a Tholos at max, 1 SSW, 10 SOK's, The Cherry Set and I got enough in this quest for a Royal Ship.

What's really better than the SOK's to have for a non-spender. The ship I hear is close, but counting roads isn't quite there. Tholos is great. Some of these other event buildings are clearly nice, just not sure we can count on them as readily. The SOK's give a nice coin benefit to help replace the houses too.

The Cherry Set throws off a whole section as I have it now, perhaps I need to put it at the bottom all the time. That's what @ThruTHEhead seems to be doing with stuff that would otherwise throw off a whole row. I was going to do that with my Arc if I don't add the Inno and Traz just yet. If I do I was going to put them all up top as I showed.

Now HQS is saying maybe more squarish. The big dilemma I guess is do I stay odd or even for my width. I know you guys are saying you can change it up with your expansions, but I honestly don't know yet how my Arc progress will go, so don't know if I'll be getting the medals you guys have. Plus it's still a pretty low max expansion amount for HMA.

The Royal ship is without a doubt better than SoKs after roads. as is tholos. SoK = 5 squares including half-road on one side. Ship = 22.5 including half road on short side. This puts pirate ship close to SoK and royal ship ahead. L2 cherry set also better than SoKs. The only thing exceptional about SoKs now is that they're a nice small size that's easy to fit in. And having only 10 of them you shouldn't have any problem finding spaces for them without a special line for them. If your spacing between streets is 6 in general for instance then your tholos will have 2 2x2s across from it.

Mostly you're overthinking it. Plan a specific layout for what you have. Plan where you want your next bit of expansions. Change the plan as you have to fit in different sorts of event buildings.

DeletedUser29726

If you don't host them, how do you post them where they are embedded? I only see an option at the bottom for uploading, which makes them an attachment. The other options up top all require a link (hosted). Thanks

I just copy my screenshot with lightshot and then paste it into the forum's post box. It automatically uploads it - if it's a big picture you should enclose it in spoiler tags.

RazorbackPirate

USServer.jpg

DeletedUser32824

Here is my city and it is 7 across. Thinking about upping it to 8 across, but I'm not sure. Just kind of hoarding medals until I need to squeeze in another GB.

I want to redo it and make a long column that is 4 across to fit 2 SOKs and my sunken treasures next to each other. I think that might make things easier to fit in my city.

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 1.08.06 PM.png

DeletedUser31308

Here is my city and it is 7 across. Thinking about upping it to 8 across, but I'm not sure. Just kind of hoarding medals until I need to squeeze in another GB.

I want to redo it and make a long column that is 4 across to fit 2 SOKs and my sunken treasures next to each other. I think that might make things easier to fit in my city.

View attachment 10799
Yeah that city has way too many corners, you could get away with fewer roads if you find a way to have longer columns

RazorbackPirate

Go for 8 across. City design in FoE always seems to favor even numbers. That's why it's so challenging to deal with Cherry Gardens and GBs like CdM, FoD, and even Arc. Odd numbers on both sides being stuck into a city layout that's divisible by 2.

I always find layout a bit more challenging on the end of the map that has the odd number of expansions. It seems much more difficult to use every tile productively.

Last edited:

DeletedUser32824

Yeah that city has way too many corners, you could get away with fewer roads if you find a way to have longer columns
Totally agree! I haven't redone the whole thing since the event started and I've gotten 4 sunken treasures 10 SOKs and 1 Royal ship this event which has kind of rocked my city. I also threw in dynamic tower wherever it would fit just to have it for now. I'm traveling right now and don't like to remodel unless I have my big boy dual monitor setup that I have at home.