• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Expand Friends List to 100

• Thread starter DeletedUser35473
  • Start date

Salsuero

This thread shouldn't have a poll attached. I just figured I'd point it out since the rules are being ignored and I wouldn't want a noob to see this thread and think it's ok since it wasn't mentioned. :confused::rolleyes:

DeletedUser35473

I think the primary reason I would limit the friends request to 80 is quality assurance. 80 is already a big number and while you, personally, may have the intent of being an active player, there's a lot of players who take up friend slots that are not good for much more than aid-gold and GB snipes.

I think the main goal of the friends list was to actually foster cooperative gameplay among the community outside of ones guild. Like facebook, the more friends you have, the less realistic your relation with them all. By limiting it to 80, you get a pretty healthy amount of friends while also being able to actively manage and interact with them in a way that improves the overall experience...nominally. Adding more effectively makes the game a little easier and more bloated which would probably be counter-productive from the hosts viewpoint.

I would like something that enables improved functionality of the "friend" relationship, though. I'm far
I think the main goal of the friends list was to actually foster cooperative gameplay among the community outside of ones guild.

I agree! That's clearly what they intended. My point is that limiting us to 80 friend requests (which can be far fewer requests if you accept other people's requests) is actually contrary to their original intent.

I have a long running thread that includes all of my friends except a handful who opted out. It is a real community more active than most guilds from what I've seen. We support each other in the usual ways but more than that. Newcomers to the game find real friends on the Random, they ask questions and get real answers, they post trades and GBs, sometimes they get help with bullies or at least really good advice. But also they get more friends who aren't on their friends list because they're out of FRs.

The only real reason I've been able to think of for this limitation beyond the technical one I've mentioned is to prevent friends from becoming more important than guilds. I don't really think that would happen though. I'm certainly 100% loyal to my guild as my friends are to theirs. We are loyal friends to each other but we recognize sometimes our guild comes first.

As for the idea that most people's "friends" are only useful for P/Ms and tavern visits how is that mutually exclusive to what my friends and I have? How would allowing those of us who want more friends be harmful to those who like a smaller circle of friends?

Have the generosity of spirit to allow for more than the one way that you play. Maybe it's time for some of you to try treating your friends as if they really were friends... Thanks for the comments!

DeletedUser

How would allowing those of us who want more friends be harmful to those who like a smaller circle of friends?
Everyone gets the same possible number of friends, that wouldn't change with this proposal. And you can get all the friends you want, you just have to work at it a tiny bit harder with the current system. And that's not a bad thing. If I wanted to have the full 140 friends, I could do it without too much trouble. Maybe that's the original intent of the 80 invite limit, to make even this part of the game a little bit of a challenge. As many people have stated on many different threads, if you take out the challenges what fun would it be to play the game?

DeletedUser35473

I see your point but I don't agree because of the reasons I stated above. I could keep my list maxed all the time if I accepted every FR which I do not. I am not interested in having the maximum number of friends. I'm interested in having good friends who help each other. I don't see any sensible argument against encouraging cooperation and I don't see how there could be one. Having a real friends as opposed to a list of P/M partners encourages people to play more and to keep coming back to be with their friends. This is bad for the game in what way?

DeletedUser

I see your point but I don't agree because of the reasons I stated above. I could keep my list maxed all the time if I accepted every FR which I do not. I am not interested in having the maximum number of friends. I'm interested in having good friends who help each other. I don't see any sensible argument against encouraging cooperation and I don't see how there could be one. Having a real friends as opposed to a list of P/M partners encourages people to play more and to keep coming back to be with their friends. This is bad for the game in what way?
You're really grasping for straws with that one. Increasing the number of FR you can send won't do a single thing to increase the likelihood of them being "real" friends, whatever that means.

Graviton

How would allowing those of us who want more friends be harmful to those who like a smaller circle of friends?

At first blush, it doesn't. But as I thought about it, here's how it could affect everyone: even if I choose to limit my friends list, and you as one of my friends do not, the chance that you'll have nothing left to aid by the time I want to aid you will increase. That means, to me, less chance of getting BPs from aiding you. It would similarly impact the returns from the Dynamic Tower and the Seed Vault, as you don't get their bonuses if there's nothing to aid.

Would giving you twenty more invites be enough to do have a significant effect? That's a 25% increase in invites, so I would presume for each player on my friends list who chooses to use them, I'd have a +25% chance that their stuff is already aided when I come along, which equals a -25% chance of getting BPs and other goodies. Or something like that. The odds probably don't track that closely, but it won't be zero.

For those who keep track of such things, if I see that when I aid you every day, I'm consistently getting the message, "There was nothing to aid", I might be inclined to drop you from my list. Of course that depends on how badly I want that chance to get BPs and other stuff. If I've invested in a DT and/or a Seed Vault, then I'm very interested in getting that stuff.

So it does affect those who don't want or need another 20 invites. How significant that impact is I don't know for sure, as it depends on city design and play style.

DeletedUser35473

At first blush, it doesn't. But as I thought about it, here's how it could affect everyone: even if I choose to limit my friends list, and you as one of my friends do not, the chance that you'll have nothing left to aid by the time I want to aid you will increase. That means, to me, less chance of getting BPs from aiding you. It would similarly impact the returns from the Dynamic Tower and the Seed Vault, as you don't get their bonuses if there's nothing to aid.

Would giving you twenty more invites be enough to do have a significant effect? That's a 25% increase in invites, so I would presume for each player on my friends list who chooses to use them, I'd have a +25% chance that their stuff is already aided when I come along, which equals a -25% chance of getting BPs and other goodies. Or something like that. The odds probably don't track that closely, but it won't be zero.

For those who keep track of such things, if I see that when I aid you every day, I'm consistently getting the message, "There was nothing to aid", I might be inclined to drop you from my list. Of course that depends on how badly I want that chance to get BPs and other stuff. If I've invested in a DT and/or a Seed Vault, then I'm very interested in getting that stuff.

So it does affect those who don't want or need another 20 invites. How significant that impact is I don't know for sure, as it depends on city design and play style.

I respect your argument as it's well thought out but I think you forgot about something... For those of us who have all of the important GBs there's already very little that you can P/M in our cities. I think I have 3 premium residential buildings and just 2 production buildings (more if needed for a quest but they get deleted asap).

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that if you P/M someone you get an equal shot at a BP whether or not they had anything for you to help. Of course you'd have little chance of knowing about this unless you're friends with someone like me or you have folks like me in your hood so I don't blame you for believing that extra friends would be a problem. It's not like Inno informs us about stuff like this.

I appreciate the feedback all the same!

DeletedUser35473

You're really grasping for straws with that one. Increasing the number of FR you can send won't do a single thing to increase the likelihood of them being "real" friends, whatever that means.

I realize you probably think that's true but I'm telling you I know from experience that you're mistaken. There are many indicators to show who could potentially be an actual friend. Here are a couple... If they have gone to the expense and trouble of maxing their tavern tablecloth then there's a chance they have given some thought to improving their friends odds of picking up a free fp. Very many people don't bother. If they post messages to their hood for help with trades or GBs it means they're looking for a little cooperation. And so forth.

I don't know what your friends is like but I do know my friends are actually friends. I highly recommend developing actual friends over the other kind.

DeletedUser35473

If you've asked before, then why have you not been a forum member before now? How did you ask? :confused:

I asked support for this improvement many times and was always told I had to ask here. I came here and so all of the snark and toxic bs and chose not to post my own thread because I really didn't want to deal with it. Instead I just posted a positive reply on someone else's thread a long long time ago. I got jumped on by a crowd of the same sort of people right away. So this forum won't even allow supporters of a proposal to have a voice. Yep, seriously toxic.

I posted my own thread finally because I and many of my friends are seriously frustrated. Not a few have quit playing altogether. I would like to see something turn that trend around like encouraging more cooperation and friendship.

What's your motivation?

Graviton

For those of us who have all of the important GBs there's already very little that you can P/M in our cities.

Sure, that's why I said it depends on play style and city design.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that if you P/M someone you get an equal shot at a BP whether or not they had anything for you to help.

Pretty sure if there's no building to aid then you get no BPs nor goods from having a DT nor extra goodies from having a Seed Vault. All of those rewards are based on the age of the building that's being aided. I believe that's true for the SV but I'm certain it's true of BPs, and goods from the Dynamic Tower. If no building is being aided, there's no age on which to base the reward, so you don't get a reward.

Again, I'm not sure how significant this effect will be, just that it's something else to think about.

Last edited:

DeletedUser31206

1) You forgot to put this into a proper format.

Proposal Format

Proposal
Briefly outline what your proposal entails.

Current System (if applicable)
The system that currently exists in-game that is being replaced or improved by the feature you are proposing.

Details
Here you should give the details of your idea, explaining how it works, why you've suggested it and all other information you feel is necessary to convey the importance of the addition of your proposal.

Abuse Prevention
If there are any avenues for abuse that open with your proposal, state any safeguards present in your idea that closes them.

Visual Aids
Post any images you have created to demonstrate the implementation of your proposed feature. Please remember that any images posted must fit within the file size restrictions specified in the Forum Rules.

Conclusion
Any final comments to try and gain your proposal the favour of the community.

2) If you get around to putting this into a proper format my vote is yes.

DeletedUser31592

I respect your argument as it's well thought out but I think you forgot about something... For those of us who have all of the important GBs there's already very little that you can P/M in our cities. I think I have 3 premium residential buildings and just 2 production buildings (more if needed for a quest but they get deleted asap).

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that if you P/M someone you get an equal shot at a BP whether or not they had anything for you to help. Of course you'd have little chance of knowing about this unless you're friends with someone like me or you have folks like me in your hood so I don't blame you for believing that extra friends would be a problem. It's not like Inno informs us about stuff like this.

I appreciate the feedback all the same!

So, you don't have any SoKs, SSWs, HoFs, no Black Tower, PoH, Grand Bridge, etc...? Because all of those require motivation.

DeletedUser

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that if you P/M someone you get an equal shot at a BP whether or not they had anything for you to help.
No, you don't. There has to be a building motivated/polished/plundered for the chance at a BP or other aid-based bonus.
I realize you probably think that's true but I'm telling you I know from experience that you're mistaken. There are many indicators to show who could potentially be an actual friend. Here are a couple... If they have gone to the expense and trouble of maxing their tavern tablecloth then there's a chance they have given some thought to improving their friends odds of picking up a free fp. Very many people don't bother. If they post messages to their hood for help with trades or GBs it means they're looking for a little cooperation. And so forth.
None of these things have anything to do with an increase in the number of friend requests. Your ability to discern whether a player would be a good friend by your definition would be exactly the same either way. This has nothing to do with the point of the proposal.
I highly recommend developing actual friends over the other kind.
Other kind? Like Harvey, the 6 foot rabbit? :rolleyes:
So this forum won't even allow supporters of a proposal to have a voice.
I'm pretty sure your voice has been allowed. Just because almost no one agrees with you doesn't mean we don't hear you.
What's your motivation?
My motivation when commenting on proposals is to support the ones I like and oppose the ones I don't like. Guess which one this is.

Salsuero

Seed Vault, as you don't get their bonuses if there's nothing to aid

That's not true. My Seed Vault rewards me for clicking the aid button whether there's something to aid or not. The description says nothing about having to successfully motive/polish anything. It says you get the reward by aiding. When I click aid, that's how it rewards me.

It would similarly impact the returns from the Dynamic Tower

If I've invested in a DT and/or a Seed Vault, then I'm very interested in getting that stuff.

And yes, I would not be happy with even less to motivate/polish when it comes to my Dynamic Tower. However, to be fair, I'd probably add 20 more friends to compensate and hope that the opportunities lost from the first 80 having more friends would be offset by me having 20 more friends. Not saying I'm in favor of this proposal at all... just being fair to the discussion.

Graviton

My Seed Vault rewards me for clicking the aid button whether there's something to aid or not. The description says nothing about having to successfully motive/polish anything. It says you get the reward by aiding. When I click aid, that's how it rewards me.

Good to know, thanks.