• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Get your first two great buildings in less than a month

DeletedUser38687

I think you're going to regret saying this. Space is a premium in this game, and if you're denying yourself expansions for something that will be outdated as a premium supply building, your progression through the game will have a lot of struggles.

You could easily get 140 friends in a day and then they can completely motivate your blacksmith productions. Back when I had 55 blacksmiths, I could get them all motivated in around 4 hours after collection.

Which explains why you might think a premium supply building is better than 2 expansions.

Wait, if you use goods for everything, and complete GE 64 every week. Why do you have a CoA? Why do you have a Zeus? Why do you have Great Buildings that only have a bonus for attacking? CoA's coin production is abysmal, and CDM is marginally questionable (because of FPs, which can be useful for anyone).

I'm not disputing that, but if you are struggling with coins and supplies by the middle of Bronze Age with even the non-premium supply buildings, you're doing something really wrong. You should never need to buy a premium supply building whatsoever.

Okay, and once you get to HMA, you're going to realize that the expansions were the better choice. "A few cubes more at space" is what I consider an attitude that is inconsistent with wanting to have the most efficient town. You'll find sooner or later that every tile matters.
i do have coa, zeus and cmd. soon, for later, once I will upgrade them, I will be able to use my army for GE. as about diamonds, you can get em for expansion later from GE I guess. the prices will rise up. anyway, so you cannot buy with no limit
But you don't say, "I have a CdM", and not have it built in your town. Nobody really cares about if you have all the BPs and 80% of the goods. You haven't built it, which means you don't have it.
Well, i do have an 80%cmd then i will build it today for you :). the hard part is to find the blueprints, not the goods for cmd.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser38740

This is probably the most helpful guide to GB... I wish I came on the forum sooner!

Thank you for all the work you put into this, and how intelligible your instructions/descriptions are really helped me (a non-native speaker of English) clarify what I could do better, what I needed to correct and so forth. Cheers!

Lando6

1 month update. (Also in response to some of the chatter going on). About 1.5 months since I started.

So instead of waiting a couple of months, I decided to give a one month update since things have been going so well for me by following this strategy.

As a recap. I spent almost 3 weeks in BA collecting MFP (Medium Forge Packs), coins, supplies, goods, and a bunch of BP’s from constantly guild hopping. All of the time in BA and collecting lots of stuff proved to be VERY VALUABLE as soon as I hit IA.

I transitioned to IA on 3/9/19, after 19 days in BA. I continued to guild hop for the first couple of days to keep getting more BP’s. At the same time, to get more MFP’s, medals and BP’s, I strategically placed a FP or two on some GB’s that were really close to leveling. I did this for guilds I pasted through, my friends list, and my neighborhood. I tried to only place FP’s on GB’s that I would be assured to give a return on my investment. This worked out really well.

After about 3 days of guild hopping, I had full prints COA (didn’t build yet), CDM, and Col (won’t build). I chose to build CDM first for the extra FP’s I would get each day, but that created an issue. I needed LMA goods and only had BA goods really. So, I reached out to my friends list and struck up a deal for a trade plus FP’s to compensate. The trade resulted in my joining a really good guild that quickly helped me build more GB’s.

One week into the IA I had built and leveled the following GB’s

Oracle lvl 5 (was later removed, due to lack of need)
Zeus lvl 5
LOA lvl 2
CDM lvl 3
Hagia lvl 2

…and new to the family THE ARC!! Yes, that is correct. In less than one month playing, I built the Arc, thanks to some sniping, selective FP placing, and sacrificing about 65 FP’s to secure a higher reward and more BP’s. All of this was only possible with my 1250 BA goods and over 60 MFP I had in my inventory to trade up goods and snipe. I had depleted almost all my goods and my MFP was very low, but it was all worth it and will definitely see a big return on my investments. In the two or so week’s that followed, I was able to secure BP’s for Chateau (built), St. Mark’s (built), Cape Canaveral, Innovation Tower, Notre Dame (won’t build), and Arctic Orangery. This will give me more goods, coins, and a bonus to each Recurring Quest I complete.

So, in short, if you want a leg up in this game pretty quickly, follow Glarg’s and Algona’s advice. I would suggest staying in BA for 3 weeks minimum to amass a pile of BA goods and MFP’s. These become very valuable, case in point. I do feel that anything over 4 weeks in BA would start to see some loss of value over time. Some of the GB’s I have not built because of limited space and they also do not add any value to my game at this point. For instance, building the Inno Tower would give me 3600 population, but I don’t need anywhere near that amount of population just yet. I’ll probably build in EMA or HMA. I expect to jump to EMA around 5/1. I won’t spend much time in EMA since I’ve calculated that I can do more RC’s in HMA, so I expect maybe a month in EMA at most, and then on to HMA around 6/1. I should be able to get all my GB’s to lvl 10 by HMA along with adding Dresden or COA maybe. At some point I’ll probably start focusing on hyper leveling some of my GB’s like Arc, CF, and CDM. I pretty much use goods for all my GE activity.

Current Inventory and GB’s build

FP in Inventory: 100
Zeus: 6
LOA: 4
HS: 5
CDM: 5
STM: 3
CF: 3
Arc: 3

Special Buildings: 5 SoK's. 2 Champs Retreats (1 built). 3 WW's (1 built). 1 Rogue Hideout.

DeletedUser38766

So I just started playing the game a few hours ago. I cleared the first province and built the expansion and added a few extra huts and then I filled empty spots with flowers to make up for happiness. That way I have 23 huts and 120% production boost instead of the 20 as mentioned in the tutorial.
Next I want to know why he said to not take tyr? Is it a bad idea if I clear out both of those slowly on my first day?
Is the 1800 coins quest and 8 FP quest the only two non-story quests that I can keep on doing?

And thank you very much for the great guide! It's extremely helpful

EDIT: I also unlocked all non-gem slots on my first barracks and one extra slot on the second barracks, what would be the pros and cons of doing that on first day compared to how it was suggested in guide?

DeletedUser38090

Next I want to know why he said to not take tyr?
You can avoid taking over Tyr with the story questline (just take Fel Dranghyr). We save up some lower age provinces in the case of if an event quest requires us to conquer a province. Better to save up an easy province than to struggle with a much more difficult province. There's also nothing useful in Tyr, since the medals that the PvP tower provides is so negligible compared to lots of other methods.

Is the 1800 coins quest and 8 FP quest the only two non-story quests that I can keep on doing?
For the moment, you can also do the two tech unlocks quest, but once you unlock smithery, you can start adding blacksmiths and doing the 2 helmet quest.

EDIT: I also unlocked all non-gem slots on my first barracks and one extra slot on the second barracks, what would be the pros and cons of doing that on first day compared to how it was suggested in guide?
The way I diverged from this guide is that I pushed the continent to get the two expansions in Iron Age within 24 hours of starting the town, which of course requires increasing the capacity of my barracks to have 8-spearmen armies. There shouldn't be too much of an issue with opening slots except maybe you are using coins and supplies, and that could impede your progress if you really need to build more huts.

DeletedUser38766

The way I diverged from this guide is that I pushed the continent to get the two expansions in Iron Age within 24 hours of starting the town

Could you please elaborate on what this means?
Did you try clearing the entire continent within first 24 hours? (Except maybe tyr for event quest?)
And what do you mean by two expansions in Iron Age?

EDIT: also, does clearing fel before getting the quest force me to clear tyr for the quest?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser38090

Could you please elaborate on what this means?
Did you try clearing the entire continent within first 24 hours? (Except maybe tyr for event quest?)
And what do you mean by two expansions in Iron Age?
So the campaign map is divided into different ages. So there is a Bronze Age section of the continent, which goes from Dunarsund to Hymir. The Iron Age section begins with the province Badakus and ends at Maktaba. So I cleared the entire continent map (with the exception of Ruug, an Iron age province, and Tyr). So in the Iron Age section of the continent, two of the provinces, Karchagu, and Maktaba, offer expansions if you conquer them, just like Fel Dranghyr offers an expansion for conquering it, and that's what I mean by "expansions in Iron Age".

DeletedUser38766

Aah, now I see. Thanks again for the explanation. It all makes sense now.

DeletedUser38766

So why is it a bad idea to spend coins on FP? Isn't it benificial to spend it early on to get smithery quickly since after that point we get access to an unlimited supply of coins?

DeletedUser33179

So I just started playing the game a few hours ago. I cleared the first province and built the expansion and added a few extra huts and then I filled empty spots with flowers to make up for happiness. That way I have 23 huts and 120% production boost instead of the 20 as mentioned in the tutorial.
Next I want to know why he said to not take tyr? Is it a bad idea if I clear out both of those slowly on my first day?

And thank you very much for the great guide! It's extremely helpful

The main advantage of staying in Bronze Age (BA) for a little while is so you can use blacksmiths (the smallest sized production building in the game at 2x2) to complete the recurring quest (RQ) of "Completing 2, 24 hour Productions" from that building very frequently each day. That is the primary recurring you'll utilize. The RQs of collecting coins is next frequent one - as glarg describes, is easily done with very frequent guild hopping aiding everyone (+ from whatever other buildings you have). Spend fp RQ is much less frequently done, but useful nevertheless.

Once you take Tyr on the Map & acknowledge that in the Main Story Quest, you will lose the entire RQ slot until you age up to Iron Age (IA). As a result, your field of blacksmiths becomes useless for getting you lots of coins/supplies, goods, forge points (fp) packs, etc. Move into IA when you're ready, not because you accidentally lost the usefule BA RQs. IA does have good advantages - being able to donate to others' Great Buildings (GB) to win medals/fps/blueprints as an example. But BA is nice for building an initial stockpile of the basics.

All Ages, for the most part (there are a couple temporary exceptions down the road), give similar RQs related to their Aged buildings if you abort the optional Side Questline whenever it pops up (shows up time to time when you reach certain spots on Map & in Tech Tree). If like most folks you use the "Produce 2, 24 hour Production" RQ corresponding to the smallest such building of current Age, that'll be the 3x4 sized butcher for IA.

Be very wary of advancing too quickly in the Tech Tree or the Map. It is by far the #1 mistake folks make, leading to massive frustration over a quickly inadequate city. Take your time & keep learning what you can.

DeletedUser33179

So why is it a bad idea to spend coins on FP? Isn't it benificial to spend it early on to get smithery quickly since after that point we get access to an unlimited supply of coins?

You have to build your city over time to build up your coins stockpile from your buildings. I've no idea why you think you'll suddenly gain access to "an unlimited supply."

Buying fps with coins gets expensive, as cost goes up each time. Many Events require you to buy fps - you want to keep it's price low.

If you're smart building your city, all your fps should come from the city itself/general gameplay - not buying them

What are you in a hurry for anyways? It only takes a couple days at most with glargs guide to open Smithery. The game is a marathon, not a sprint

DeletedUser38766

You have to build your city over time to build up your coins stockpile from your buildings. I've no idea why you think you'll suddenly gain access to "an unlimited supply."

Buying fps with coins gets expensive, as cost goes up each time. Many Events require you to buy fps - you want to keep it's price low.

If you're smart building your city, all your fps should come from the city itself/general gameplay - not buying them

What are you in a hurry for anyways? It only takes a couple days at most with glargs guide to open Smithery. The game is a marathon, not a sprint

Thanks Clara for explaining. The reason I said that is because unlocking smithery will allow guild hopping which will provide lots of coins, access to guilds, the ability to complete coin RQ over and over again and also help progress through event quests.
And thanks for pointing out that RQs finish after taking tyr. I am glad I left it open on my map xD

DeletedUser33179

Thanks Clara for explaining. The reason I said that is because unlocking smithery will allow guild hopping which will provide lots of coins, access to guilds, the ability to complete coin RQ over and over again and also help progress through event quests.
And thanks for pointing out that RQs finish after taking tyr. I am glad I left it open on my map xD

Opening Smithery quickly is tempting, I agree :)

My suggestion if you decide to buy fps for it:
1- firmly resolve not to keep buying fps ;)
2- make sure you're already collecting plenty of supplies from the Hunter production building to immediately make use of some of the coins collected from new guild hopping for buying those blacksmiths. I love this guide, however supplies can be amassed a bit quicker early on than what it describes.

DeletedUser38766

Opening Smithery quickly is tempting, I agree :)

My suggestion if you decide to buy fps for it:
1- firmly resolve not to keep buying fps ;)
2- make sure you're already collecting plenty of supplies from the Hunter production building to immediately make use of some of the coins collected from new guild hopping for buying those blacksmiths. I love this guide, however supplies can be amassed a bit quicker early on than what it describes.

And yes, I think Glarg only collected a couple times when making the guide. I collected A LOT and ended up doing the unbirthday quest like 5-6 times until I got diamonds from it.

DeletedUser38766

Another question: The guide doesn't talk much about what GBs (I know there are other guides for it) but just to clarify, I am allowed only 2 GBs per age? If yes, what about the oracle of delphi GB that the story quest wants me to build? Is it worth it or is there a workaround to not build it?

RazorbackPirate

Another question: The guide doesn't talk much about what GBs (I know there are other guides for it) but just to clarify, I am allowed only 2 GBs per age? If yes, what about the oracle of delphi GB that the story quest wants me to build? Is it worth it or is there a workaround to not build it?
There are 2 GBs per age, but you can build any GB from any age at any time, in any age at any time, as many GBs as you want to build.

Now that you're done with Glarg's guide, I recommend the Condensed CR Guide to increase the productivity of your city. If nothing else, it will give you a deeper understanding of the relationship of various GBs to the overall productivity of your city.

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/cosmic-ravens-hqs-condensed.22835/

DeletedUser38766

Thanks for the link. I will go through that guide right away. So if there are 2 GBs per age, how do I already have BPs for 3 GBs?
I got Oracle of Delphi from story quests, then I have some BPs for Zeus and Tower of Babel.

RazorbackPirate

Thanks for the link. I will go through that guide right away. So if there are 2 GBs per age, how do I already have BPs for 3 GBs?
I got Oracle of Delphi from story quests, then I have some BPs for Zeus and Tower of Babel.
There's 3 GBs not tied to any age. Oracle, which you get from the tutorial, think of it as the GB with training wheels. The other 2 are Temple of Relics, which you'll get BPs for from Guild Expedition, and Observatory, which you can get BPs for from investing in other player's Obs. Most good guilds will have a program to help you get one if you want one.

Once you open up Architecture, you'll be able to add FPs to other's GBs to get BPs and eventually FP rewards. At that point, you can chase prints for any GB you want. Regarding 2 GBs per age, it only refers to when they were added to the game. For instance, the last released age added the Terracotta Army and Himeji Castle to the game. Once they're added, anyone can build them.

https://forgeofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Buildings

DeletedUser38766

There's 3 GBs not tied to any age. Oracle, which you get from the tutorial, think of it as the GB with training wheels. The other 2 are Temple of Relics, which you'll get BPs for from Guild Expedition, and Observatory, which you can get BPs for from investing in other player's Obs. Most good guilds will have a program to help you get one if you want one.

Once you open up Architecture, you'll be able to add FPs to other's GBs to get BPs and eventually FP rewards. At that point, you can chase prints for any GB you want. Regarding 2 GBs per age, it only refers to when they were added to the game. For instance, the last released age added the Terracotta Army and Himeji Castle to the game. Once they're added, anyone can build them.

https://forgeofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Buildings

Aaaah. That makes so much more sense. Thanks a lot for explaining that.
Also. The CR guide referred in the previous comment suggests rushing to IA while Glarg's guide suggests staying in BA for a while. What would be the cons of rushing to IA besides being slightly slow on RQs since blacksmith's take less space than butchers and we need 2 instead of 3 I believe?

Lando6

Hey Banana, as for GB's BP's. Each RC you complete gives you a chance to get some BP's that are in your age only. So for Bronze, you could get Babel or Zeus prints. If you keep working the events quests you'll get all the prints for Oracle (a decent one to have at the beginning cuz of the supplies and happiness). As you age up, then you will have access to getting BP's from those GB's from that age plus the ages before. So in Iron Age you could get LOA, Coleseum, Zeus, and Babel prints. You can start getting higher age BP's when you aid higher level players, hence why I was able to get CDM, the Arc, etc so early. Hope this helps. Good luck!