• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

Opozicija

Actually I have to be "sure" as its possible to be sure in anything, that my city will produce at least 28~30 points from quests to be feasibile.. If that is possible I will start ASAP in selling my mother and sister to get in CA and send you another picture of brand new city..:)

DeletedUser26965

Actually I have to be "sure" as its possible to be sure in anything, that my city will produce at least 28~30 points from quests to be feasibile.. If that is possible I will start ASAP in selling my mother and sister to get in CA and send you another picture of brand new city..:)
it's a 6% chance to get 5fp's so that's 100 quests for 30fp's

Opozicija

Ok, I have to see how much buildings I could build when I sell/store all extra buildings (FPs buildings and others which DR mentioned...) and if I manage to do 100 quests from them then its feasible to do it.. I guess all of us who are in similiar situation should do this because, as always, things are not so simple..:confused:

DeletedUser23444

Despite my self coaching it seems to me that I havent completely screw up city in 10 months and there is chance to fix things in CA..I am quite happy with your advice..:) I just wonder how would my city look like if I have done it on your way..

If you had done it "my way" over 10 months time:
  1. You would be in the final third of your long stay over in the Colonial Age.

2. You would not own any of these GBs: CC, DT, StB

3. You would own these GBs you currently do not own: Atm, FoD

4. All of the GBs in my version of your city would be between level 8 and level 10.

5. More than likely, you would be close to completing BP set for AO and looking to buy AFE goods.

6. Your city would be much larger than it is now and you would be working on Victory Expansions that cost upwards of 100K medals.

7. You would have 1,000s upon 1,000s more goods from: CA. And you would have 100s and 100s of goods from: Ind, PE, and LMA. You would have spent the last 6 to 7 of those 10 months constantly trading CA goods both up and down for goods from the other periods.

8. You would be posting on this forum topic to help me coach others.

I have one important question. After redesign I will lose 28 FPs per day (neglect other benefits which are minor problem), (terraces(15),cherry set(5), ruin garden(2), bazaars(4),aviary(2)), do you really think that doing quests will compensate that?

Yes questing will compensate, but not exactly on a one-for-one basis, where you would get 1 FP back from questing for each FP that is currently produced by a special building. First, HQS has a lot of RNG aspect to it, so the FPs we score on a given day are going to vary considerably. Second, it's not just about FP production; rather it is about the total value of: FPs + Goods + Medals (and supplies since we work fields of supply productions). So taken in aggregate, the answer is absolutely you will get more total value back from your city my way, and none of that value can be plundered. But the most notable increases over your current city will be through goods and medals. Aside from scoring the "extra large medals packages" that Inno Games sometimes pays out as a prize in the Winter or Summer Events, HQS can outproduce any and all other means by which we can produce medals in the entire game, combined. I own level umpteen Arc, I swap as many as 200 to 500 FPs per day. And I score nice donation reward packages on decently leveled GBs which includes of a large pile-o-medals. So I see many cases where I score 1K to 7K of medals per a single GB level. But then, I go and collect my city and work my quests and score between 5K to 20K medals in a single days of working HQS in FE. Hands down, HQS kicks all other ways to produce medals in the keester. And medals expand your city faster. And as your city expands, it can host more quest buildings or more high-value GBs, or more high-value special buildings.

Because I am also using this points to do rec.quests and also those points should be somehow multiple because I have Arc and those points are returning to me as FP profit (rewards from contributing to other GBs and also my GBs are being leveled faster). Its not at all that I am trying to prove that concept is wrong, I am just asking if its worth it in this specific case?

At least in CA, where you will have more land for more quest buildings, you will get back most, if not all, of the 20-something FPs-per-day that you would no longer produce from special buildings. However, the goods and medals production is going to explode from the perspective of what your city can currently accomplish.

And in HQS, we are Swapaholics, we swap our 5-packs of FPs (but always save your 10 packs for the next tech sprint).

And don't sell your ToR. That is a very hard decision to make. I don't really want some other player to sell a ToR, that is already well above level 4, just on my advice or my loathing of that GB. Believe me, My ToR already being level 8 is the only reason that keeps me from selling it. That is an awful lot of swapped FPs to toss out.

But I have sold: a level 4 Deal Castle, a level 5 St. Basil, and level 8 Colosseum (that I did not pay for).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23444

it's a 6% chance to get 5fp's so that's 100 quests for 30fp's

Just so you all know, I rounded all of my data in those random rewards to be as conservative as possible. I prefer to under-promise and over-deliver rather than the other way around. But results can vary greatly day-to-day.

Opozicija

If you had done it "my way" over 10 months time:

More than likely, you would be close to completing BP set for AO and looking to buy AFE goods.

Huh, at least you missed this.. I already have BPs for lvl.15 and 40% of goods (I still didnt buy it because I have no space for it)

CR, you convince me, I have to prepare now city for running through CA but when I come there i will write a little bit about my journey and my expressions.. I also hope that this advice(s) will help someone in similar situation. It took me some time until I decide to ask you about my city but it has great potential to become HQS city so I believed someone would find it interesting to read it..
Tnx!

DeletedUser23444

Huh, at least you missed this.. I already have BPs for lvl.15 and 40% of goods (I still didnt buy it because I have no space for it)

CR, you convince me, I have to prepare now city for running through CA but when I come there i will write a little bit about my journey and my expressions.. I also hope that this advice(s) will help someone in similar situation. It took me some time until I decide to ask you about my city but it has great potential to become HQS city so I believed someone would find it interesting to read it..
Tnx!

Yup I did miss it. But my point was to give you an overall take on where I thought your city could be. Just keep mind that transitions like this can be really rough. So it's going to get bumpy until it gets good.

Opozicija

Yup I did miss it. But my point was to give you an overall take on where I thought your city could be. Just keep mind that transitions like this can be really rough. So it's going to get bumpy until it gets good.

Of course.. I was just happy to see that one thing from your list I achieved..:cool:

DeletedUser29021

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread not to build too many (or more than 1) Sacred SkyWatches when in HMA/CA. The reasoning is that the supply buildings they would replace are worth more because of their ability to do the recurring quest. I'd like to throw out some numbers from my city that (at least for me) makes the SSWs worth it.

Background: CA city with the following relevant GBs:
StM lvl 6 (185% coin bonus)
LoA lvl 8 (125% supply bonus)
Chateau lvl 10 (150% quest bonus)
90 clockmakers

With these GBs and using the reward % listed earlier in this thread one quest gives me the following (on average):
3.75 goods
6375 coins
7250 supplies
0.3 FP
0.08 BP
11.25 medals

So two clockmakers give me the above plus about 4,000 supplies. I'm not counting the LoA bonus since if I'm "replacing" two clockmakers with SSWs they will be the last ones collected which don't get it. I also have never gotten all 90 of them motivated. So that's not included either.

Two Colonial SSWs give me just over 25,000 coins each (over 27,000 if I use the tavern boost). Two SSWs will then give me 50,000 coins + 2 FP. However; 50,000 coins (or just over) is half of what I need for a "Collect 100,000 coins" quest. So I think its fair to add 1/2 of a quest to their value.

For a full comparison:
Clockmaker SSW
3.75 goods 1.875 goods
6,375 coins 53,000 coins (rounded)
11,250 supplies 3,625 supplies
0.3 FP 2.15 FP
0.08 BP 0.04 BP
11.25 medals 5.625 medals

For me I'd rather have the SSW column. You're basically trading just under 2FP and 40k coins for just under 2 goods, 5.6 medals and 7k supplies. I don't count the BP since all the BPs I'm getting via quest are useless to me.

I suppose to be strictly fair I should add the % of a quest that collecting the clockmakers adds to the "Collect 110,000 supplies" quest but since it's 4/110 of a quest I didn't think it mattered that much. That quest also flips most often by collecting another quest and not by collecting clockmakers which probably wastes more than the 4k supplies in question anyway.

Opozicija

Sell the StB. An HQS city requires 0% city defense bonus because we have no plunder-able buildings. And by the later eras where we will make use of more plunder-able buildings, we will have enough Watchfires from events and Ritual Flames from GE, that we never need waste land on either a Deal Castle or a St. Basil. (I used to own both of these GBs, and I sold them both.

Sell all "Plunder Bait" Multi-production buildings: Terrace Farms, Bazaar, Aviary, and any others I forgot to mention. We will score many, many more of these in the later eras where they are more useful, even in an HQS city (PME and later). Using multi-production buildings, which all cost population and offsetting happiness to produce plunder-able FPs or goods is not as valuable as it might seem in an HQS city in CA or HMA. And these buildings are the very reason this city needs to devote any land to city defense bonus. This is especially true in an HQS city in Colonial Age and below, where by just increasing the total number of quests per day we can increase our daily production of goods and FPs very efficiently, and quest rewards cannot be plundered so we require no city defense. However, in PME and later, buildings like these will make more sense for discounted refined goods production, since we will usually need to produce goods conventionally again. But by the time we actually need these buildings, we will score many more of them, and they will locked to later eras when we score them.

Sell all "Plunder Bait" Cherry Garden buildings and all "Plunder Bait" Garden Ruins buildings. We should never prioritize scoring these types of buildings in events. There are much better prizes to prioritize scoring in events, such as: SoKs, Renovation Kits, SoKs, Premium Cultural Buildings, SoKs, Premium Residential Buildings, SoKs, 1-Up Kits, SoKs, Storage Kits, SoKs, Tigers' Dens, SoKs, Rogue Hideouts, and SoKs.1,875 TE goods.

I couldnt quote exactly what you wrote, I had to delete numbering.

After thinking about your advices I just want to give my opinion about these 2 buildings and give reasons why I dont want to get rid of them. All other advices I will implement.

1. St.Basil (5×5)
-Actually from your words I decide to keep it..:) You said that in later ages I will need ritual flames so that I should store as much as I can. Also, you said we should plan ahead. St.Basil occupies 25 squares and and on lvl.10 it gives 30% att&def boost. On 25 squares I can put 12 RF and 1 watchfire. Thats 100% defensive bonus. I believe that even 30% att boost worth a little bit more. Also, coins are not included in analysis but for sure those coins can be used for finishing quest such as collect specific amount of coins. I understand its minor effect but still its worth of mentioning since we are comparing to RF and watchfire which only have one effect.

2.Cherry garden set (5×5). I will take CA as example to give some numbers:

- 1800 happines (72 per square), compared with Clock tower (the most lucrative decoration= 100.5 per square)

- 5 FP (1 FP per 5 square - SoK is giving 1 FP per 4 square) So if I place 6 SoKs I will occupy 24 square and I will get 1 FP more. Yes, I will get from them 2820×6= 16920 coins (plus effect of St.Marks lvl.10 250%=76140 coins) and from Cherry garden only 6400 coins (plus effect of St.Marks lvl.10 250%=28800) and 5780 supplies(plus effect of LoA lvl.10 145%=14161).

-5% att bonus, not sure with what to compare-checkmate maybe? (checkmate is giving 7% in CA and occupies 9 squares.)

- 5 goods (same as Oasis - 12 squares. If we compare with Terrace farm (TF) which occupy 30 squares and it gives 10 goods then we can say that TF is producing 0.13 goods per square more then Cherry garden. Cherry garden produce 5/25=0,2 goods/square, TF produce 10/30=0,33 goods/square. If we take example of comparing 5 TF which equals 50 goods, and 6 Cherry garden which equals 30 goods, or with Oasis: 12 Cherry garden (300 squares) are
producing same amount as 25 Oasis.

- 5% def bonus (little bit more than 1 watchfire which occupy 1 square)

summary:
If we exclude thats also a plunder bait I find it very attractive building for 25 squares. Comparing each effect of Cherry garden set with similar building its obvious that Cherry is losing that battle, but taking all together when I compare numbers I believe its very valuable building and worth of keeping.

edit: I added comment on Clock tower (to make comparison)

Last edited:

Opozicija

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread not to build too many (or more than 1) Sacred SkyWatches when in HMA/CA. The reasoning is that the supply buildings they would replace are worth more because of their ability to do the recurring quest. I'd like to throw out some numbers from my city that (at least for me) makes the SSWs worth it.

Background: CA city with the following relevant GBs:
StM lvl 6 (185% coin bonus)
LoA lvl 8 (125% supply bonus)
Chateau lvl 10 (150% quest bonus)
90 clockmakers

With these GBs and using the reward % listed earlier in this thread one quest gives me the following (on average):
3.75 goods
6375 coins
7250 supplies
0.3 FP
0.08 BP
11.25 medals

So two clockmakers give me the above plus about 4,000 supplies. I'm not counting the LoA bonus since if I'm "replacing" two clockmakers with SSWs they will be the last ones collected which don't get it. I also have never gotten all 90 of them motivated. So that's not included either.

Two Colonial SSWs give me just over 25,000 coins each (over 27,000 if I use the tavern boost). Two SSWs will then give me 50,000 coins + 2 FP. However; 50,000 coins (or just over) is half of what I need for a "Collect 100,000 coins" quest. So I think its fair to add 1/2 of a quest to their value.

For a full comparison:
Clockmaker SSW
3.75 goods 1.875 goods
0.3 FP 2.15 FP
0.08 BP 0.04 BP

For me I'd rather have the SSW column. You're basically trading just under 2FP and 40k coins for just under 2 goods, 5.6 medals and 7k supplies. I don't count the BP since all the BPs I'm getting via quest are useless to me.

I suppose to be strictly fair I should add the % of a quest that collecting the clockmakers adds to the "Collect 110,000 supplies" quest but since it's 4/110 of a quest I didn't think it mattered that much. That quest also flips most often by collecting another quest and not by collecting clockmakers which probably wastes more than the 4k supplies in question anyway.

Interesting..However, SSW are hard to get . I am doing 4.lvl each week and I only got one.. When you level up your St.Marks and LoA to lvl.10 the difference should be even bigger in favor to SSW.

DeletedUser16739

After thinking about your advices I just want to give my opinion about these 2 buildings and give reasons why I dont want to get rid of them. All other advices I will implement.

I'm not here in this topic to help you do it your way, or any other player's way. I'm not here to customize your city, or your play style.

I'm here to document a proven strategy that I know works. It's proven. This isn't me here saying: "I think you should do this or that; and I think you should not do this and not do that." This is me saying that I, and several other players have already tried it numerous different ways and we freaking know which way produces the fastest results.

And if you scroll up and down this very long topic you can see numerous testimonials where players have tried this strategy, applied it, and posted back with how satisfied they are with the results.

The players who are the most satisfied with the results are the ones who have followed the strategy the closest and who own a CF with some levels in it. And the players who don't believe or don't get the same results are the players who are half-assing the strategy and then wondering why they don't get the results.

How you play your city is totally your prerogative. Just don't expect HQS results by doing it your way.

Opozicija

Well, do you think I should delete my mssg and apologize? I didnt just throw it and said: "You are wrong, St.Basil and Cherry Garden are worth of keeping.." :)
Its just my opinion and I guess its ok to debate.. Also, you pull my words from context. Everything I wrote could apply for any other city..

DeletedUser25166

Well, do you think I should delete my mssg and apologize? I didnt just throw it and said: "You are wrong, St.Basil and Cherry Garden are worth of keeping.." :)
Its just my opinion and I guess its ok to debate.. Also, you pull my words from context. Everything I wrote could apply for any other city..
Do what you need for YOUR city. They won't care when you quit game, just like they only care about their cities. Play the game YOUR way.
This message brought to you by the HQ Anti-Cult Club

DeletedUser29218

Never has a more incorrect statement been typed, at least if we are talking about Colonial Age goods. HMA goods we have a more or less finite demand more. CA goods are the unrefined goods for ME goods. And ME goods are the unrefined goods for TE goods. And TE goods are the unrefined goods for AFE goods. So to produce 10 goods of any type that I just mentioned (except CA goods) we actually will consume 10 CA goods.

I left the Colonial Age with a surplus of over 16,000 CA goods stockpiled. I have consumed them all in the conventional production of either ME or TE goods.

On numerous occasions I have sold FE, CE, PME, ME, or PE goods to many different guild mates, or even players from outside my guild, so they could construct higher era GBs. In many cases, these players have sold me 2 CA goods : 1 Higher Era Good, plus some FP donations to make up the difference in value between their goods and mine. This means I have purchased 1000s and 1000s of CA goods from other players still down in CA. I have consumed nearly all of those CA goods in the conventional production of TE goods. I also have traded some of those CA goods up for Ind goods which I consumed in the conventional production of PME goods. I also tradede some of those CA goods down for LMA goods to have enough on hand to help my HMA Noob Minions trade their HMA goods up for LMA goods.

And none of this speaks to being in the middle of a GvG war that spanned multiple ages where I donated 1000s and 1000s of CA goods to my guild when I was in the Colonial Age and later (on top of the guild goods that came from my Arc or Obs).

Long story short, we never have enough goods. And working HQS is just as much about increasing our goods production as it is medals or FPs.

Personally I was talking about HMA, but I think my statement was correct anyways. Once you have enough goods you gain "nothing" by getting more. Enough means that you have all the goods needed for your game goals, and varies from person to person, depending on goals, guild and server. It could mean enough to finish lvl 4 GE (my case), finishing all technologies up until the next era where you want to park (many people's case) ,sustaining GvG in a given era for a long time (some people's case), single handedly feeding al trades for lower age guildies, or all of them together (your case).

The fact that CA goods are unrefined goods for ME is more or less irrrelevant imo, because you can get ME and OFE goods by HQS in these ages, and TE goods by trading (there is a lot of TE goods out there because all GB from OFE players generate them). In the end, the reason I said "" when I said "nothing, it's because of the trading value of these goods, which is quite low.

And this brings out another topic: some of your hypotheses and reasoning seem to be based on metrics that are very server dependent. I'll give some examples:

1. Arc. In my server I trade FPs with guildies and higher age friends, I'm not gated to do so with other HMA players. Outside high lvl arca groups (that invest time into maximising their swap efficiency) and people who always levels GB on their own (because of the minimal efford law) there is a large group of people and they mostly do FP chains. So, building the arc in HMA is a decent choice for people like me.

2. Same thing happens with dynamic tower. I have more than 30 friends and more than 10 guildies who are in OFE. If I were to have a DT, I would aid them, not my HMA neighbours.

3. In general, the value you asign to goods is very different to that of my server. You seem to value a lot CA goods, which are practically worthless here.

Obviously, that doesn't mean that goods are useless because they can always be traded, even at low value. But I share the idea of humperdink7 post: highly efficient FP buildings are better than supply buildings for questing. I don't know why you are so adamant about making any changes and try to improve the guide.

For a full comparison:
Clockmaker SSW
3.75 goods 1.875 goods
0.3 FP 2.15 FP
0.08 BP 0.04 BP

@humperdink7

Since you are in colonial (or any other colonial player for that regard). Do you mind posting the exact amount of coins and supplies you are asked to gather in the collect coins, collect supplies, pay coins + supplies. And the amount of coins, supplies and medals you get when scoring small and large packages of those? Basically, what I asked here https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...urrent-quests-and-their-rewards-by-age.17901/

Last edited:

ODragon

Since you are in colonial (or any other colonial player for that regard). Do you mind posting the exact amount of coins and supplies you are asked to gather in the collect coins, collect supplies, pay coins + supplies. And the amount of coins, supplies and medals you get when scoring small and large packages of those? Basically, what I asked here https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...urrent-quests-and-their-rewards-by-age.17901/

I think this is what you are asking:

Gather 100k Coins
Gather 110k Supplies
Pay 25k coins + 30k supplies

Rewards before CF
7,000 Coins
14,000 Coins
8,000 Supplies
17,000 Supplies
75 Medal

DeletedUser29206

so here is the latest @ day 30 ... woohoo I've been playing FoE for a whole month :)

notes:
still need storage kits for the confectioneries
opted for 52 Alchemist = more medals = more land = more housing --- also equals more time to level up the Hagia
currently at +9 happiness unpolished -- lvl 3 Hagia

So how much more housing should I put in once I have the Hagia at lvl 5 and a few more expansions?
-- ie. is there an optimum ratio of coin production vs. supply production or houses vs alchemists?

as it stands (unmotivated)
the alchemists produce 86,112 supplies per day.
the residences produce 29,040 coins per day = 1:3
other sources produce 29,590 coins per day
combined I get 58,630 coins per day or a 1:1.5 ratio coins to supplies unmotivated

DeletedUser29060

This may seem like a silly question. But when you guys hit Colonial, let's say, you aren't yet going to have built traz, coa, fod, atomium, the arc, etc. How do you redesign cities mid age? Do you sell off maybe half of your supply buildings just to have space to move buildings around? I am currently in HMA, about to build my CF and I am beginning to piece together in FOE Manager what my city might look like when I hit Colonial and I am having a hard time planning ahead for all those great buildings that I won't have yet. I don't want to just leave blank spaces since that seems horribly inefficient. Any advice from anyone who's gone through that before?

DeletedUser28021

This may seem like a silly question. But when you guys hit Colonial, let's say, you aren't yet going to have built traz, coa, fod, atomium, the arc, etc. How do you redesign cities mid age? Do you sell off maybe half of your supply buildings just to have space to move buildings around? I am currently in HMA, about to build my CF and I am beginning to piece together in FOE Manager what my city might look like when I hit Colonial and I am having a hard time planning ahead for all those great buildings that I won't have yet. I don't want to just leave blank spaces since that seems horribly inefficient. Any advice from anyone who's gone through that before?

I'm not in CA yet, but here's my experience in HMA, where I've been for a long while:
- I get medal expansions. When I have a fresh one, I have 16 squares to play with.
- After planning my new arrangement on FOE manager, I know what's going to need to be deleted, to fit in the new GB, even with the new space

So I delete whatever's got to go anyway, move stuff that's in the way into the new space (packed tight, no roads) and shuffle away.

If that's not enough space, I pack more things the same way (disconnected but there).

Any city design I've ever managed has a few dead tiles, where there just wasn't room for anything bigger than a useless decoration. They give me more room to pack things in.

Once I've made space for the new GB, I use that space to continue my shuffling. The absolute last thing I do is place anything new.

I don't believe I've had to delete and recreate anything yet, except maybe roads.

But if I did, I'd consider which buildings I had in inventory, from GE rewards. If I have an alchemist or two in inventory, that's a great choice for a building to delete during the shuffle.

And if there's a "build 3 residential buildings" etc. quest up at the same time, maybe delete+re-add looks like a pretty good idea anyway.

[Edit: One other thing - I have a large stockpile of coins and supplies, saving for my next "sprint". I can easily afford to delete and recreate buildings if I need to - it'll just cost me some (small) number of UBQs. So if I'm going to get more quests from temporarily filling some space, and tearing it down later, then I'll lose in UBQ's, then it's cost effective to build temporary structures. If I were a more effiicient player, I'd do this computation, and maybe place the medal expansion and fill it, even if I expected to have a new GB in a handful of days. But realistically, I'm more likely to take stock of my resources once a week or less, and notice/act on expansion and GB availability at the same time ;-(]

Last edited by a moderator: