• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser29218

We no longer have CF to say that you don't know what you are talking about, but every reason you cite is silly. More clicls in CA means more rewards. Completing 4 levels of GE is easy in every age. If yo follow his advice, you never get "forced" out of an age. Don't waste time in HMA
That's just a very narrow and superficial way to look at it.

First falacy: more clicls in CA means more rewards
Due to the increased difficulty on completing the UBQs and collect quests in CA (compared to your ability to generate recourses in HMA, from buildings and quests) , it balances out. So you have to do more clics to get a similar level of rewards. If you had spent time doing some math and maximizing FP production, you would have understood that "saving lots of FP packs, 8M coins and supplies to sprint to CA as soon as you can" is not the best path.

Second half-falacy: completing 4 levels of GE is easy in every age
I actually agree on that, and I think GE lvl 4 are "almost free" goodies.
However, I'll recall your prophet (CR) words: "GE is a gamble". So no, not everyone following him is finishing lvl 4 GE.

Third falacy: If yo follow his advice, you never get "forced" out of an age. Don't waste time in HMA
CR has said multiple times that there are some special buildings such as checkmare square that are worth scoring even if you get pushed out of a great HQS period. I would call this being "forced" out of an age.

DeletedUser26120

Just successfully triggered the EMA bonus questline in beta. :)

Now I have a good reason to camp here for a while longer. Was gonna make the jump to HMA.

I could use prints anyway, need fps to donate for 'em lol.

DeletedUser29352

That's just a very narrow and superficial way to look at it.

First falacy: more clicls in CA means more rewards
Due to the increased difficulty on completing the UBQs and collect quests in CA (compared to your ability to generate recourses in HMA, from buildings and quests) , it balances out. So you have to do more clics to get a similar level of rewards. If you had spent time doing some math and maximizing FP production, you would have understood that "saving lots of FP packs, 8M coins and supplies to sprint to CA as soon as you can" is not the best path.

Second half-falacy: completing 4 levels of GE is easy in every age
I actually agree on that, and I think GE lvl 4 are "almost free" goodies.
However, I'll recall your prophet (CR) words: "GE is a gamble". So no, not everyone following him is finishing lvl 4 GE.

Third falacy: If yo follow his advice, you never get "forced" out of an age. Don't waste time in HMA
CR has said multiple times that there are some special buildings such as checkmare square that are worth scoring even if you get pushed out of a great HQS period. I would call this being "forced" out of an age.
The "collect 2" quest in CA is exactly the same as the equivalent quest in HMA. I have 94 clockmakers. How many supply buildings do you have? Exactly. You have fewer buildings and fewer clicks. The 3-400 goods that I produce every day are four times as valuable as the goods that you produce. I get 161 medals each time. How many do you get? Any advice that you give is by definition flawed, so user beware

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29395

Just successfully triggered the EMA bonus questline in beta. :)

Now I have a good reason to camp here for a while longer. Was gonna make the jump to HMA.

I could use prints anyway, need fps to donate for 'em lol.
Sweet! What did you do? I'm in EMA on beta, and I'd love to practice!

Btw, I need friends on beta! Look me up or tell me what your name Is on the beta server

DeletedUser29218

The "collect 2" quest in CA is exactly the same as the equivalent quest in HMA. I have 94 clockmakers. How many supply buildings do you have? Exactly. You have fewer buildings and fewer clicks. The 3-400 goods that I produce every day are four times as valuable as the goods that you produce. I get 161 medals each time. How many do you get? Any advice that you give is by definition flawed, so user beware

Again, you are looking at a couple of trees, and think that you've seen the whole forest. I'll show the other half the picture for you.

Q: How many "collect coins" do you do?
A: About 50% of what you would be doing in HMA. Because each quest requires 4x resources, while your production only scales 2x.

Q: How many UBQ do you do?
A:About 47-65% of what you would be doing in HMA . Because each quest requires x3.21 coins and x3.75 suplies , while your production only scales 2x in coins and 1.76x in supplies.

Q: How many "spend FP" quest do you do?
I can't find where I wrote the data, but the answer is (surprise!) less than what you be doing in HMA

Q: How many extra space do you get by advancing to colonial
A: Around 8 clockmakers (depends on what investigations do you want to keep unresearched for events, and how conservative you are with provinces).

Q: Accounting for less UBQs and less collect coins quest, but an extra quest slot and a bit more space: which player does more daily quests?
A: Contrary to popular belief, UBQs are a big part of heavy questing, and the collect coins and spend FP quests can't be neglected as well. A player in HMA will do more quests than a player in CA., which results into more FP packs in HMA

Q: How much advancing to CA cost?
A: The FP in research alone are 1400. You also lose (on average) 5580 HMA goods, 446 FP, 119 useless blueprints and 6.7k medals, that you would have gained if you invested the 8M coins and supplies CR mentions into UBQ.

The only truth about what you said is that CA goods are more valuable, and each CA quest gives more medals.
If your playstile is truly quest-focused, eventually goods become a non-factor (I have >12k goods despite negotiating GE 4 and doing the donate goods to guild quest each time). This is despite playing a variant of HQS that gets less goods but more FP.

The increase in medals, while it can't be ignored, it isn't that much impactful overall (because you also get medals by FP swaps).

Q: My head hurts, what are the consecuences of all the above?

CA players need to click more, but they actually do less quests than HMA players.
CA players gets less FP packs than the same player who stayed in HMA.
CA players get more unneded goods, but both players are swimming in goods anyway.
CA players get a minor increase in medals production
CA players spend 1846 FP and 6700 medals, enough fp to raise LoA from ~lvl 7 to lvl 10. If they had invested these FP into snowballing GB instead, they could have gained much more.
CA players will be forced out of CA after a couple of months if they wish to keep scoring good prizes for events. HMA players still have CA if they want to keep questing effectively.
CA players will have a harder time completing all 4 levels of guild expedition. But, to be fair, GE is really easy to complete in both ages.

There are other minor factors, such as HMA neighbours being easier to plunder; but I think it's better to keep those out.

DeletedUser31096

My question, is how in the world do you guys get CF prints/goods so early? I know raven mentioned "we as a guild help out", but that is a straight up donation. I am in EMA, I have built StM, LoA, HS and have full CdM prints and goods. CF? Not even close, got 3 prints. Most folks just dont build this thing, it is not popular. Even if I were to build it, it needs a TON of goods, expensive PE goods. Without the CF, the the whole heavy questing strategy falls apart :( Stuck.

DeletedUser26120

Sweet! What did you do? I'm in EMA on beta, and I'd love to practice!

Btw, I need friends on beta! Look me up or tell me what your name Is on the beta server
I got to EMA while still on Bronze Age map. So I had to catch up. I conquered the EMA towers province (Pfefferberg), the first goods deposit province (Dunkelwald) and scouted the province north of it (Grifental), then scouted the mountains south of the deposit province and that triggered the bonus questline.

I was also completing the storyline quest step by step with those specific province conquers. The quests I have up now are: Scouts to Sturmhohen - Story Quest (Scout eastern province), Assault and Assassination - Bonus Quest (Research a technology), and Take Greifental - Side Quest (Acquire Greifental). Assault is the bonus questline.

I'm Dursland on beta.

DeletedUser31096

Day 28 update.

After raising enough cash and deciding that HMA is superior to EMA for questing based on the original advice, I made the plunge.

I was expecting to need around 750k gold, but that was overkill in retrospect. Selling all the tanners yielded over 80k alone, so those are waiting around for enough cash, you are probably wasting time.

I put up my CdM after deliberating for quite a bit. On one hand 25 spaces is 4 alchemists, on the other it is more FP and I plan to get a military going in HMA so that tilted me over. My guild got it from sticks to bricks in about 2 hours (they rock). I also had just enough LMA goods from previous trades/guild gifts to build CdM.

My city layout is suboptimal, largely because I ventured into that corner (where the Hagia is now) so it makes planning a nightmare. I am also missing the bottom left corner. I have not spent any money since Iron Age (when I bought the starter package for 4 bucks), so quite short on diamonds and will not be getting the diamond expansion any time soon. I am 3 techs away from townhouse, so I slammed as many alchemists as I could into my existing footprint with the plan to eventually research all the land expansions and then build military. I will negotiate GE using goods for now, although I really hate doing that as it drains me hard.

Right now I have 56 alchemists, which is probably too many, but if I need to sell them due to not getting space quickly enough then I will. For now, until nothing better comes around, max alchemists seems the wisest.

Townhouses will help tremendously as one only requires 2 townhouses for every 3 clapboards. Currently at 26 clapboards I am pushing the limit, so it will be a huge space save. Plus my level 3 Hagia will be barely sufficient (hence the gravel roads).

Current GB levels:

CdM - 1
StM - 3
HS - 3
LoA - 4

I guild hopped one more time and placed 1 fp on any reasonable CF I saw, hopefully that will fetch me some prints. That is my number one goal now.

My city:
Day28JPG.jpg

DeletedUser29352

Again, you are looking at a couple of trees, and think that you've seen the whole forest. I'll show the other half the picture for you. If despite this you and other guys decide to remain blind... well, I tried.

Q: How many "collect coins" do you do?
A: About 50% of what you would be doing in HMA. Because each quest requires 4x resources, while your production only scales 2x.

Q: How many UBQ do you do?
A:About 47-65% of what you would be doing in HMA . Because each quest requires x3.21 coins and x3.75 suplies , while your production only scales 2x in coins and 1.76x in supplies.

Q: How many "spend FP" quest do you do?
I can't find where I wrote the data, but the answer is (surprise!) less than what you be doing in HMA

Q: How many extra space do you get by advancing to colonial
A: Around 8 clockmakers (depends on what investigations do you want to keep unresearched for events, and how conservative you are with provinces).

Q: Accounting for less UBQs and less collect coins quest, but an extra quest slot and a bit more space: which player does more daily quests?
A: Contrary to popular belief, UBQs are a big part of heavy questing, and the collect coins and spend FP quests can't be neglected as well. A player in HMA will do more quests than a player in CA., which results into more FP packs in HMA

Q: How much advancing to CA cost?
A: The FP in research alone are 1400. You also lose (on average) 5580 HMA goods, 446 FP, 119 useless blueprints and 6.7k medals, that you would have gained if you invested the 8M coins and supplies CR mentions into UBQ.

The only truth about what you said is that CA goods are more valuable, and each CA quest gives more medals.
If your playstile is truly quest-focused, eventually goods become a non-factor (I have >12k goods despite negotiating GE 4 and doing the donate goods to guild quest each time). This is despite playing a variant of HQS that gets less goods but more FP.

The increase in medals, while it can't be ignored, it isn't that much impactful overall (because you also get medals by FP swaps).

Q: My head hurts, what are the consecuences of all the above?

CA players need to click more, but they actually do less quests than HMA players.
CA players gets less FP packs than the same player who stayed in HMA.
CA players get more unneded goods, but both players are swimming in goods anyway.
CA players get a minor increase in medals production
CA players spend 1846 FP and 6700 medals, enough fp to raise LoA from ~lvl 7 to lvl 10. If they had invested these FP into snowballing GB instead, they could have gained much more.
CA players will be forced out of CA after a couple of months if they wish to keep scoring good prizes for events. HMA players still have CA if they want to keep questing effectively.
CA players will have a harder time completing all 4 levels of guild expedition. But, to be fair, GE is really easy to complete in both ages.

There are other minor factors, such as HMA neighbours being easier to plunder; but I think it's better to keep those out.
I do 48 UBQs every day. I haven't counted my gold production, but it's probably in the 6 to 8,000,000 per day range. That allows plenty of gold quests. My city produces multiple times more of everything than your city ever will in HMA. So you are falling further and further behind every day.

DeletedUser29395

My question, is how in the world do you guys get CF prints/goods so early? I know raven mentioned "we as a guild help out", but that is a straight up donation. I am in EMA, I have built StM, LoA, HS and have full CdM prints and goods. CF? Not even close, got 3 prints. Most folks just dont build this thing, it is not popular. Even if I were to build it, it needs a TON of goods, expensive PE goods. Without the CF, the the whole heavy questing strategy falls apart :( Stuck.
I found people in my hood and guild, and we traded fp. I would trade consistently until I took first, they would match on one of my buildings. We both get stored fp rewards and medals and such, and we both get bp, so everyone wins. I only had to do that a few times to get a full bp set.

If you aid particular buildings of particular ages (I.e. Motivate only alchemists) then any bp you win will be from that era. That's how I got my last cf print. My guild members traded me for the goods and didn't take advantage of me. Most of them had a ton of goods from those eras, and didn't need them. They were fine letting them go for unequal trades, especially since better goods returns for me means more GE activity and guild donations. It's better for the guild, so they do it. Regardless, I have had my CF for weeks. If you're finding the CF is unpopular, you're in the wrong crowd. Search taverns/guildshoods and look at cities until you find people with CF. Message and ask to be friends because you want to fp swap on cf. You only need two or three of those who are steady swap partners. Once you get that goings, you will find bp starting to build up, and your own GB leveled. This is the method I've been doing, and I've dropped 3 GB this past week (innovation, DT, ToR). Bp cease to be a problem once you get trades going. After that, it's just time and patience. I just got my arc bp set completed, and now I'm building goods for it. I just deleted Babel after I got it to level 7 for the space (I built it before I read this guide).

In reality, I have too many GB for a questing city. I have a lot of non-supplies buildings. But, I do quests off the coins from my Indian palace and towers, gb, and shrines. I do lots of GE and I have fun. As I get expansions, I'll add more alchemists, or maybe I'll move up to LMA and camp a little while I quest en route to CA if I get bored. Basically, I don't mind it not being a perfect HQS city if I'm enjoying myself. Making friends of guildies who have taught me tons is a benefit in itself. :)

DeletedUser29352

If you will read the rules, insults are frowned upon. Please follow the rules before actions have to be taken. Thanks to all.
Thanks, noted. If you would like to be productive, you could clean out all of the trolling posts that detract from the wonderful advice given in this thread, my post included. Almost half of the posts fall in that category.

DeletedUser31096

Vesta, thank you! How long have you been playing? How long have you been in HMA before you found yourself a full CF printset and enough goods?

I am doing FP swaps on guildmates CFs, however they don't level them much and thus I do not get returns quickly. Ideally someone with a new CF would be my perfect swap partner, but alas, cannot find.

I am going to stockpile gold/supplies and do zero UBQs until I get my CF. Will be a long haul, but there is fun in the search.

DeletedUser28711

RkD, you're on the right track with seeking help from your guildmates, but it looks like your not having much luck. This is how I got my CF BPs & goods.

DeletedUser31096

That approach seems interesting, but forces people to jump guilds quite a bit no? Can't donate to a non-friend great building. Before I rejoined my guild I hopped around and put 1 point on every CF that was somewhat being leveled, but that is a super lengthy process and no guarantee as you have to watch it like a hawk.

DeletedUser28711

That approach seems interesting, but forces people to jump guilds quite a bit no? Can't donate to a non-friend great building.

Before you do anything like that, send a message to the player you want to trade with first to see if they're even interested in the idea of trading goods/BPs for FPs. If they are, then either friend them or change guilds.

DeletedUser30943

Hey guys. I've been playing HQS for a couple of weeks now, and I'm really loving it. I've read as much of the guide as I could manage for now, but I have some cognitive issues, which makes absorbing large amounts of info really difficult for me. As you can imagine, CR's posts pose a bit of a challenge in that respect. :) A lot of the posts here look interesting, and I'm going to go through the entire thread as time/my brain permit, but in the meantime, I'm hoping someone can help with a few quick (?) things.

My main question right now has to do with goods production. If I've done my math right, on average, you'll be getting 0.75 goods for each supply buildling you build. In one of my cities, I'm in EMA, where production buildings are 3x3 and city size is still fairly small. Is it a good/bad idea to supplement with a few actual goods production buildings? CR mentions that at one point in his posts, but doesn't actually mention specific ages.

The other thing I'm looking for, if there is one, is a succinct, HQS-specific age-by-age listing or "let's play" or whatever that talks about what the person built, the benefits, the pitfalls, things to avoid, that sort of thing. Mostly, I can figure out the theory, but a practical example (textual or, better, video) would be really helpful for me. Is there anything like that out there (or even in this thread that I just haven't come across yet)?

plinker2

Honestly, your best bet is to join a Guild if you haven't already. A good guild has members that are usually more than helpful with any questions or assists that you may have or need