• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser29352

Has anyone run the numbers on just spamming UBQ AS opposed to doing the saltpeter? Saltpeter takes 24 hours. This would be for HMA
Your main goal in HMA is to save up 8 million coin, 8 million supplies +1450 FPs so you can make the leap to CA. So you need those supply buildings.

DeletedUser28712

Well, loosing one recurring slot is not the end of the world. Of course it is more efficient to have two; now you are loosing the chance to do collect 2 x 1 day production, simultaneously with the collect supplies. But 1 recurring quest slot is better than nothing.

Also note, that I have not completed myself the bonus quest line, so I only go by what is written in the wikia. It is conceivable (but not very likely) that the quest listed there are not correct. I believe they are correct, but have no proof.

Here are is the link to 1st bonus quest
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/New_Frontiers

And here is the last (that asks to research Modern Roads)
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Ruler_of_the_Continent

As regards map progress and recurring quests, i had posted in a separate thread back when I was in LMA doing recurring quests but was finishing the CA map, as I wanted to know in advance what awaits me in the IndA map. Note that CR had claimed as a fact that acquiring Garrincton triggers the bonus quest line (and advised to leave it last). However that turned out to be incorrect, as Jaelis showed (with screesnshots to demonstrate it). I looked at what Jaelis had done on the IndA map, and I followed a similar approach. I have now updated that thread with my findings,as I had progressed into CA doing recurring recurring quests, and I am working on the IndA map and avoiding the dreaded bonus quest line. (Apart from throwing a spammer to the recurring quests - by taking one slot - it is difficult to complete that bonus quest line, as the provinces have high att/def bonus, and cost a gazillion goods. So it is good to delay the bonus quest line, until after one has acquired all the bonus provinces (and is in IndA tech wise), when most quest will auto-complete)
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...ap-progress-and-recurring-quests.16568/page-3
Nice work indeed, ty very much ! \o/

Your main goal in HMA is to save up 8 million coin, 8 million supplies +1450 FPs so you can make the leap to CA. So you need those supply buildings.

Gonna take a while to get the coins. I am doing the last bit of research in HMA to unlock 5 expansion slots. My goal would be to add more alchemist. Doing so would give me 65 or so. I would then focus on building up GB's and collecting.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29060

Would appreciate any info on this if you've gone through this.

I am in CA happily questing away and I am now trying to open up the bonus quest area so I can get the 2nd recurring quest slot. The problem is is that I neglected to advance my storyline because I have saved all of those provinces for use on events (as I thought was the plan). Now I am looking through and figure I have to get through to the start of LMA quests before I can open up the bonus quest line at ravens creek (which I assume is a requirement but I can't find anywhere that explicitly says that so I'm not sure). Looking through the quests on the wiki, the 2nd to last story quest requires me to research a technology that gives me a new cultural building. CRAP! I don't have any techs until Industrial Age that do that and I can't advance to LMA story quests without that. Am I shit out of luck? Can I not access the bonus quest line and am I therefore stuck with just the one recurring quest slot instead of two? I'm sooooo incredibly bummed because I assume I need to hit LMA before it will let me get to the bonus quest area. Anyone go through this that can comment?

DeletedUser29060

Also, I was planning on blitzing through the HMA region so I could get to the bonus quest line, but if I can't access it anyway, I need to slow down so I can use those provinces for events etc. this seriously seems to crush my options in this strat

DeletedUser25920

Would appreciate any info on this if you've gone through this.

I am in CA happily questing away and I am now trying to open up the bonus quest area so I can get the 2nd recurring quest slot. The problem is is that I neglected to advance my storyline because I have saved all of those provinces for use on events (as I thought was the plan). Now I am looking through and figure I have to get through to the start of LMA quests before I can open up the bonus quest line at ravens creek (which I assume is a requirement but I can't find anywhere that explicitly says that so I'm not sure). Looking through the quests on the wiki, the 2nd to last story quest requires me to research a technology that gives me a new cultural building. CRAP! I don't have any techs until Industrial Age that do that and I can't advance to LMA story quests without that. Am I shit out of luck? Can I not access the bonus quest line and am I therefore stuck with just the one recurring quest slot instead of two? I'm sooooo incredibly bummed because I assume I need to hit LMA before it will let me get to the bonus quest area. Anyone go through this that can comment?

In theory you should get the bonus quest line when you acquire Ravens Creek. The bonus quest line will be in a separate slot/quest giver. However it seems that in this specific case (LMA bonus quest line), you need to also have progressed the main story quest line to the same point in order for the bonus quest line to appear. I do not have personal experience of this as it was some time back that I did this and my story/map/quests were more or less in sync, so the bonus quest appeared as expected. However I remembered a post mentioning this problem in another thread, so I searched for it. In this post CR mentioned that this happened to guildmate of his.
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...gress-and-recurring-quests.16568/#post-131352
The post in question is 2 posts further up (#8 post in that thread), but I can't see how to link a specific post.

So assuming the info in that post is accurate (which I have not experienced myself), then I am afraid you lost the chance to get a 2nd recurring slot while in CA.
Btw according to that post that guildmate of CR's was parked HMA, and then sprinted all the way to the end of CA tech in one weekend (to have clockmakers), and this was the result of rushing like this. IMO, one should try to keep tech, quests and map more or less in sync to avoid such pitfalls (or, to look into the list of quests in advance, in order to know what to do, and what to avoid)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29060

"In theory" you should get the bonus quest line when you acquire Ravens Creek. The bonus quest line will be in a separate slot/quest giver. However it seems that in this specific case (LMA bonus quest line), you need to also have progressed the main story quest line to the same point in order for the bonus quest line to appear. I do not have personal experience of this as it was some time back that I did this and my story/map/quests were more or less in sync, so the bonus quest appeared as expected. However I remembered a post mentioning this problem in another thread, so I searched for it. In this post CR mentioned that this happened to guildmate of his.
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...gress-and-recurring-quests.16568/#post-131352
The post in question is 2 posts further up (#8 post in that thread), but I can't see how to link a specific post.

So assuming the info in that post is accurate (which I have not experienced myself), then I am afraid you lost the chance to get a 2nd recurring slot while in CA.
Btw according to that post that guildmate of CR's was parked HMA, and then sprinted all the way to the end of CA tech in one weekend (to have clockmakers), and this was the result of rushing like this. IMO, one should try to keep tech, quests and map more or less in sync to avoid such pitfalls (or, to look into the list of quests in advance, in order to know what to do, and what to avoid)

That is what I thought looking through things. I'm so incredibly disappointed... I very much wish that post had been brought up in this thread and I could have been more conscious of my progress. I had no idea they had such ridiculous quests like that, so arbitrary! Why would it not just be to research a specific cultural building tech?!?!? They would actually make you progress in the era the storyline takes place in! I'm just frustrated about this since it takes a big chunk out of CA questing for me.

DeletedUser25920

That is what I thought looking through things. I'm so incredibly disappointed... I very much wish that post had been brought up in this thread and I could have been more conscious of my progress. I had no idea they had such ridiculous quests like that, so arbitrary! Why would it not just be to research a specific cultural building tech?!?!? They would actually make you progress in the era the storyline takes place in! I'm just frustrated about this since it takes a big chunk out of CA questing for me.

I can understand you are disappointed as the more profitable recurrent questing is with 2 recurrent quests, in CA. (IMO, next more profitable would be LMA with 2 recurring quests). You can still do recurring quests with only one slot for recurring quests; or if you feel up to it you can start a new city where you follow the questing strategy, but now you know what you need to be careful of.

And yes this should have been mentioned in this thread/guide. Maybe it is, but with so many posts it is difficult to find; should be with big bold letters somewhere in the beginning.

DeletedUser31096

So I am confused. What exactly should we explore on the C map in order to open up the second recurring quest? Lets say one enters HMA, what are the steps? There is nothing specific mentioned by CR in his original post - and there is a ton of confusion about this rather important detail.

I am currently heavy questing in EMA, is the 2nd recurring quest line available in HMA or is that only a CA thing?

DeletedUser26120

I have been reading the posts here and would like to know as well.

DeletedUser31096

Day21JPEG.jpg Day 21 Update:

Still in EMA. Pure questing city, not a single military building. I have been fortunate to trade for some resources and one particular guildmate was especially generous with some goods allowing me to grab a couple hundred HMA goods. I then guild hopped to secure myself St Marks blueprints. I did that two fold, first by aiding like crazy, but also jumping on anyone that I thought was going to level their StB as soon as possible. I needed 3 more and finally got them allowing me to build my own.

I find St Marks to be absolutely crucial as the transition from tanners to alchemists will cost around 600k gold. At the rate I was going it would take me three more weeks, so St Marks speeds that up tremendously.

I almost never pay the jester anymore, since I got my 20 diamonds from him, but focus largely on the: Produce 2 and Collect 15k gold, once in a while spend 25 forge points. For the most part, I get only 1 5 FP pack per day. It is quite slow. I do not know if the rates were changed since CR wrote this guide, but if the entire premise is based on generating FP packs then I am either terribly unlucky or need to double my quests.

I also got a Hagia Sophia just before St Marks in order to eliminate all cultural buildings and optimize aid clicks. The 2 extra FP points per day does not hurt.

I negotiate GE through mid level 3, but so far I find it to be a poor exchange. For the most part get useless prints or buildings I do not need.

I still have 2 more expansions to do on the tech tree, but at this point just collecting gold and swapping any FPs I get in order to improve my GBs. So far, LOA at 3, Hagia at 3, St Marks at 2.

DeletedUser29060

So I am confused. What exactly should we explore on the C map in order to open up the second recurring quest? Lets say one enters HMA, what are the steps? There is nothing specific mentioned by CR in his original post - and there is a ton of confusion about this rather important detail.

I am currently heavy questing in EMA, is the 2nd recurring quest line available in HMA or is that only a CA thing?
Basically it seems that the importance of keeping your story quests up to date with your age was either understated or not mentioned in the main body of the guide. What it comes down to is, right before you sprint to your next heavy quest period, make sure your story quests are current. Learn from my mistake. I went from hma and camped in LMA for diamonds while leaving my storyquest/ c map in late EMA. Then once I got my diamonds I sprinted to clockmaking and unlocked a couple extra techs (incidentally one that would have saved me from my rough situation as it unlocks a cultural building) to do the research 2 techs quest along the way. Now I am stuck in HMA quest line because I can't get through the quest that requires a research without being pushed out of CA.

Before you move up in age, just bring your c map/storyline quest up to par leaving any non required provinces unscripted. As long as you do that you shouldn't have any issues with getting that bonus area unlocked and getting the 2nd recurring quest slot unlocked.

DeletedUser31096

OK, so to be a bit more specific. In order to open the second recurring quest line, what are the steps to do so? From what age can this be done? HMA? LMA? CA? Is it possible to push ahead and do it from HMA?

See, the confusion stems from Raven telling us to stay away from the C map unless absolutely necessary and that, in turn, creates other issues.

DeletedUser25920

I have been reading the posts here and would like to know as well.

I do not think there is conclusive proof of all the possible scenario's on how to get the a 2nd side/recurring/bonus quest giver. One scenario we know about (and also mentioned in one of the initial posts in this quide) is that once you get the LMA bonus quest line (which is 3rd quest giver, Myciena in this case), and you complete this LMA bonus quest line then you get to keep this 3rd slot, which will give side/recurring quests. It seems the bonus quest line is activated when:
- (a) you acquire the first province of the LMA bonus map (Raven's Creek)
and
- (b) you have progressed up to a certain point in the main story quest line(*)

I do not know if there are other combinations of conditions that would make the 3rd quest giver appear. (eg what if someone avoids scouting the LMA bonus map, progresses tech-wise and map-wise to CA, IndA and even PE? Maybe the 3rd quest giver appears anyway in later ages; and will just temporarily revert to the LMA bonus quest when/if the LMA bonus questline is activated later (when Raven's Creek is eventually acquired). But from what I see in this guide also, HQ in HMA is done with one recurring quest only. (You can definitely have 2 recurring quests in LMA though, as I had done so for many months).

So going by the scenario that you need to activate the LMA bonus quest line and complete it (and you get to keep the 3rd slot).
(Here is a link to the C map, so you can see the provinces and their names).
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/world-map-revealed.4682/

Going backwards, in order to get the LMA bonus quest line you need to:
- Acquire Raven's Creek
- Raven's Creek (along with the first 2 CA provinces) becomes scoutable once you have acquired Mount Kilmore (last LMA province).
- To acquire Mount Kilmore you need to have acquired some previous LMA provinces. (One of the shortest routes that I followed was Cragshire->Eldenborough->Wolvhampton->Mount Killmore [however this many not be enough to eventually activate the bonus quest because of (*)]
- For Cragshire (first LMA province) to become scoutable you need to acquire Moravaria (last HMA province).
- To acquire Moravaria you need to have acquired almost all of the previous HMA provinces, because of how they border each other (I believe I only left Jaims unconquered. ETA to add: Correction, I see now from my map the only unconqured HMA province is Frathia).

The above steps is what is needed on the map in order to get to Raven's Creek. And you can progress as you want on the map regardless of story quests, as long as you acquire the provinces needed for the next province to be scoutable. However, as we have seen from what CR said regarding his guildmate, map progress is not enough (he had acquired all of the LMA bonus provinces, yet he had not gotten the LMA bonus quest, because his story line quest was too far behind).

As for (*), how far you need to have progressed in the main story line, below is a list of the story line quest at end of HMA, and all of LMA:

Last 2 story quests of HMA
- Poison the well: "Recruit 2 New Units” & “Research a tech that unlocks cultural building" [If stuck here, LMA bonus not activated)

- Ludwig's Last stand: Acquire Moravaria

LMA story quests
- The Dark King rises: Scout the province East of Canturia (Cragshire)
- Presents for Dragonclaw: Pay 10,000 supplies
- Crack Gragshire: Acquire 1 sector of Cragshire
- Rebel Alliance: Pay 11,000 coins
- Fire in the Hall: "Build 1 cultural building or decorations (Any Age) & “Research Water Reservoirs (LMA), or a teck that unlocks a mil. building"
- Support the Rebels: Pay 12,000 supplies
- Take Cragshire: Acquire Cragshire
- Rebels no more: Recruit 4 new units (Any age)
- Keep the Armies apart: "Scout the provinces adjacent to Cragshire (Cuttingham, Eldenborough)” & “Acquire 1 sector in any of these provinces"
- Push forward: Acquire Cuttingham or Eldenborough
- Infiltrate the army: "Scout the province East of Cuttingham (Spearth)” & Infiltrate 5 sectors of that province"
- Beware the Wizard!: Build a Tower Ruin (LMA) [This needs LMA tech]

- Make them desert: "Pay 5,000 Coins” & “Pay 6,000 Supplies"
- Make a move against the Evil King: Acquire Spearth, Wolvhampton or Four Gallows
- Scout the Mount: "Scout the province to the northeast (Mount Kilmore)” & “Infiltrate 2 sectors of that province"
- Towards Mount Kilmore: “Acquire 2 sectors of Mount Killmore”
- Wizard's End: " Delete 2 units” & “Gain 800 happiness "
- Enter Mount Killmore: Acquire 4 sectors of Mount Killmore
- Chase Away the King: Acquire Mount Killmore
- Damsel in Distress: " Scout the province south of Cragshire (Ravens Creek – bonus map)” & “Infiltrate 2 sectors of that province"
- To the Rescue: Acquire 2 sectors of Ravens Creek [I was here, no LMA bonus quest or 2nd side quest yet]

- Fight for Freedom: " Acquire Ravens Creek” & “Have 10 units " [completing this, a 2nd side quest appears!!]
- The Fair Maiden: "Gather 40,000 coins” & “Gather 40,000 supplies "

First CA Story quests
- Nebulized The Senses: " Scout provinces east of Moravaria (CA provinces)” & “Gather 40,000 supplies (not required in all editions"
- Introducing: Sophie Antoinette: "Infiltrate 3 sectors of Narcien or 3 sectors of Lavignon” & “Pay 15,000 coins "

First LMA Bonus quests
- A princess Gratitude: “Build a Residential building from LMA or 2 from HMA”
- A Shadow from the Past: "Scout the province east of Ravens Creek” & “Scout the province southeast of Ravens Creek"

As per the post of CR in the other thread, if you are at the 2nd to last HMA story quest (Research cultural tech), you cannot have the LMA bonus quest. You need to progress further. How much further? I have a 3rd city (Tiny town so different strategy) and there I have followed as much as possible the story line quests. I had acquired 2 sectors of Raven's Creek and my story quest was at 'Acquire Raven's Creek' and still no LMA bonus quest line. I just now acquired Ravens Creek, interested to see what will happen next. I was fully expecting the LMA bonus quest line to appear after I completed "Acquire Ravens Creek & Have 10 units" or when I completed the next one "Gather 40,000 coins & Gather 40,000 supplies", as these are the last 2 LMA main story quests (next one, asks to scout CA province). So when I clicked 'collect' on the "Acquire Ravens Creek & Have 10 units" completion, .... a 2nd side quest appeared!! (Grivus: Recruit 5 Grenadiers, as I had just researched Grenadiers for the event). So now I had 2 side quest slots (3 quests in total including the main story one! Without triggering and then completing the LMA bonus quest!). I aborted the Grivus side quest, and then I got another CA side quest (The Handy-cap). I completed that one, and I got a 2nd CA recurring quest. My other slot is at CA recurring quests also. So now I have 2 CA recurring slots, without having seen yet the LMA bonus quest! :)

As in my tiny town the 2nd recurring slot will be very useful, I will not complete (ie collect) my current main story quest "Gather 40,000 coins & Gather 40,000 supplies", as I fully expect one of my recurrent slots to turn into the LMA bonus quest, and then I would have to complete the whole bonus questline (conquering all of the LMA bonus provinces) in order to get my 2nd recurring slot back.

Conclusion: You need to conquer Raven's Creek and complete the LMA story line (including the last "Gather 40,000 coins & Gather 40,000 supplies" quest in order to trigger the LMA bonus quest line; then complete the LMA bonus quest line, and the bonus quest slot will turn into side/recurring quest. (This is according to this guide that maintained you need to complete the LMA bonus quest, and then you get to keep the 2nd slot)
But even better, you can get the 2nd recurring slot before triggering and completing the LMA bonus quest; by advancing far enough in the story line, but not further than this last LMA main story quest. This way you can start doing recurring quests sooner, and no need to conquer the whole LMA bonus map to do so. Btw, I am in CA techwise. I do not know if one can do this also if they are in LMA, ie while in LMA techwise progress until the last LMA main story quest and no further; would the 2nd side/recurring slot appear? (or not, and they would have to complete this quest, do the whole LMA bonus quest line in order to then keep the 2nd side/recurring quest? ).It would be interesting if someone could test this. Also in my personal opinion LMA is a very profitable era for questing and should not be skipped as this guide advises.

DeletedUser25920

Further to my post above, here are two screenshots of when I got the 2nd side/recurring quest (without getting the LMA bonus quest first)

Map view, after I acquired Raven's Creek and collected the reward for "Acquire Ravens Creek” & “Have 10 units". 2nd side quest with Grivus appeared (1st slot is Greva recurring quest and last slot is Grivus side quest)

Map recurring quests.JPG

Here is city view, after I aborted the Grivus side quest, completed the next side quest, and the slot turned to a 2nd recurring quest (with Mandrubar, spend 53 FP recurring quest in this screenshot):

city recurring quests.JPG

DeletedUser31096

Interesting details. Thanks for posting. So in theory, this should be possible to do in late HMA, still difficult a bit to follow for those of not familiar with what awaits us, but I would certainly consider staying longer in HMA if I can double up on the quests.

DeletedUser25920

Interesting details. Thanks for posting. So in theory, this should be possible to do in late HMA, still difficult a bit to follow for those of not familiar with what awaits us, but I would certainly consider staying longer in HMA if I can double up on the quests.

No, you cannot have a 2nd recurring quest in HMA, if that is what you mean. You can only have 2nd recurring quest from LMA onwards.
In order to progress far enough in the main story quest (to activate 2nd side quest or bonus quest) you will need to be in LMA (one of the earlier LMA main story quests requires LMA tech, (tower ruin deco) as pointed in red in the list of quest above.
On top of that, if you trigger the bonus quest line, that also has tasks that require you to do LMA research in order to complete it. (But you need to be in LMA anyway (need Tower ruin) in order to trigger the bonus quest in the 1st place, so this point is moot.

DeletedUser31096

Awww, too bad. The strategy really shines if you can double up - especially the collect X supplies and produce 2. Perfect synergy. Oh well, so be it.
Thanks for the deets.

DeletedUser25920

Awww, too bad. The strategy really shines if you can double up - especially the collect X supplies and produce 2. Perfect synergy. Oh well, so be it.
Thanks for the deets.

You can do so in LMA. Because there are only two production buildings, the 3rd recurring quest in 24 hr productions is "Produce many barrels of beer 2 times & Produce 2 Hampers". Similarly to how in HMA (again only two production buildings) there is a quest "Produce 2 carrots & Produce saltpeter 2 times" which one just skips. Because there is only one quest slot (and the farm is way bigger than the alchemist).

However things change in LMA. Big difference is you have 2 recurring quest slots and the two production buildings (Cooperage and Brewery) are similar size. So you can build both. Then for every pair of "Produce 2 Hampers", and " Produce barrels twice", you get to complete the 3rd quest ["Produce many barrels of beer 2 times & Produce 2 Hampers"] for free. So for 2 every completed quests you get an extra 1 for free (with doing nothing). I found that very useful. Also with level 7 LoA (I think it was 7) you get to complete the "Gather 40,000 supplies", for every 2 quests (collect from 2 breweries, and collect from 2 cooperage), so that gives even more options and less clicking (as there are 4 quests in play, rather than 1 (produce saltpeter twice) in HMA).

DeletedUser31096

Interesting, if that is true, then LMA questing is quite efficient and does not require the kind of crazy build up in HMA to tech sprint to CA while allowing for a healthier LMA good buildup. Yet CR insists on just flat out skipping it....why? To save on the costs of buildup/teardown?

Cooperage is a 3x4, so that is a bit expensive and if you are only doubling up on the 40k supply quest for every 4 buildings, then you are not doing very many quests.

Don't know - something to consider. I am a week away from moving to HMA and definitely did not relish the long stay there while building up 140 FP-ten-packs. Go figure :D Just having the St Marks feed the gold quest without needing to abort cycle it and stress over it is appealing.

Still, there would need to be prep work done since brewery is deep into the tree, perhaps CR figured it wasnt worth the hassle.