• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

Ben Trovato

Hmmm... I ended up with 2 Lancers while in CA.
Are you on the old-style story quests? You can lose out on the first two of the Lancers if you remain peaceful for too long before attacking the North. Or you can miss out on the second two if after starting to attack the North (getting you first two lancers) you attack the South before getting the second pair.

jaymoney23456

If you planned everything before, there's no reason to need to wait to win police stations - the only reason you might "need to" is if you didn't save enough techs in the pre-industrial ages. The option to win some is primarily for that colonial/industrial player who goes "I just found out about this. Is it too late now to do it?"
police stations are irrelevant to getting higher age units. You can bypass all the tech blockers if you follow the guide and consult the wikifandom to help make sense of the progression of the main story quests.

xivarmy

police stations are irrelevant to getting higher age units. You can bypass all the tech blockers if you follow the guide and consult the wikifandom to help make sense of the progression of the main story quests.
Thank you for pretending to disagree while just rephrasing most of what I said?

The police stations are potentially relevant if it's already too late for you to "follow the guide" optimally. There are no hard tech blockers if you do things right, but there is a tech count needed - and if you're a few short (because you didn't plan the early ages well enough for this), then winning police stations instead of researching them can save you a few and avoid you needing to move to PE.

jaymoney23456

Thank you for pretending to disagree while just rephrasing most of what I said?

The police stations are potentially relevant if it's already too late for you to "follow the guide" optimally. There are no hard tech blockers if you do things right, but there is a tech count needed - and if you're a few short (because you didn't plan the early ages well enough for this), then winning police stations instead of researching them can save you a few and avoid you needing to move to PE.
I liked fighting with higher age units in PE better than in Indy so I don't view having to go to PE as a penalty lol Nice try though to complain about my reply to your earlier post lol

RichinZhills

Just stopping by to post some observations. Started up 3 new worlds, one on Beta and following the guide again. I've got about 4 worlds still slogging through Contemporary. If the guild isn't too much into trading, hard to get ahead fast by negotiation. Although the 1 MG team & 7 Rogues usually work, I still suffer with low 500's att/def%, so auto-battle is chancy & iffy.
On one of the new worlds I simply raced to IA, keeping my Story & cMap in sync, what I found there was the lack of goods buildup I had in other worlds when I stayed in an Age for at least a few weeks. So now trying to negotiate through sectors is much tougher as I run out of the other goods too fast. So I'm at the mercy of a slow trading guild. On another, I stopped at Iron and my Story is at the LMA blocker. Moving my cMap into LMA, but don't have the goods, again in a slow trading guild. On Beta, paid a little bit extra the last two events for the extra buildings, holding up in Colonial but at the Blood in the Trenches blocker. Unfortunately I started too late for the Cider Gardens, but feel they may be a way to get past that blocker because you can get InA troops from them. Curious to know if anyone has tried that route yet. If so, that could mean taking the Story up to Truth or Dare?, then into Tomorrow & beyond while still in CA. Having HT's in Colonial would mean a new world order there :)
Hit a cMap wall in Virtual, only at about 900/1000 and facing Plasma's & Hydra's, so just sitting back and trying to improve my att/def%. Good luck out there!

Ben Trovato

That would work for that quest, but unfortunately, you'd still get stuck with needing police stations.

You can avoid that version of Blood in the Trenches anyway by simply negotiating 4 sectors. However, it could let you get the Rapid Fire Cannon as well as the Tanks/Conscripts.

Ben Trovato

They just let us know on Beta that they've decided to revert the changes. The story quests will stay the same as before.
And I have been thrust from doing Arctic Future quests back to the old Iron Age story line! If this looses me the chance of Turturrets, I will be well unhappy! The problem is if I ask them to sort it, they'll probably end up resetting Truth or Dare and pushing me back to the Postmodern tech blocker.

Last edited:

JamieJ

i have a different issue. was in Colonial waiting to move to Industrial, i had the new storyline to get there. i've time-warped back to Iron Age this morning with the original story line. i thought it was a bug. wish Inno would have said something. curious if i'll run into tech blockers and be forced to move to Industrial, will let you know how it goes.

Ben Trovato

i have a different issue. was in Colonial waiting to move to Industrial, i had the new storyline to get there. i've time-warped back to Iron Age this morning with the original story line. i thought it was a bug. wish Inno would have said something. curious if i'll run into tech blockers and be forced to move to Industrial, will let you know how it goes.
Sorry for you getting hit too, but in some ways that's reassuring for me to read. It means I didn't go back purely because I was suspending Truth or Dare. It means they are more likely to agree to fix it.

JamieJ

So blocked at “Poison in the Well” which is in the LMA storyline and requires a Cultural Tech. Will have to move to Industrial and use 4 techs to reach a Cultural tech, but I have saved up enough to get to Police Stations and remain in Industrial to receive full OF troops, so this should not be an issue.

The new storyline gave 4x Jaegers and 4x Howitzers in Colonial, so the only thing I’m missing out on are a couple of Progressive Troops in Colonial, not a big deal.

“Assault and Assassination” in the EMA Bonus Quest and “Mandrubar's and Fernikus' support“ in Colonial require Researching any Technology. Could be an issue if you haven’t saved up a lot of techs.

Right now I’m also stuck in the EMA Bonus Quest taking up an extra slot as it requires productions. I’m sure i’ll have to run through the Maiden Quest as well.

Building costs from previous eras are back to old storyline prices, which is not a bad thing, helps with gather supply & coin quests when the Academy and Library are once again expensive.

The techs I left open are also back to old storyline prices. At least they’re open! Though cheaper and faster to bolt your way to Colonial, the new storyline was painfully repetitive and dull, the old storyline, although silly, is entertaining and enjoyable.

Last edited:

Ben Trovato

So blocked at “Poison in the Well” which is in the LMA storyline and requires a Cultural Tech. Will have to move to Industrial and use 4 techs to reach a Cultural tech, but I have saved up enough to get to Police Stations and remain in Industrial to receive full OF troops, so this should not be an issue.

The new storyline gave 4x Jaegers and 4x Howitzers in Colonial, so the only thing I’m missing out on are a couple of Progressive Troops in Colonial, not a big deal.

“Assault and Assassination” in the EMA Bonus Quest and “Mandrubar's and Fernikus' support“ in Colonial require Researching any Technology. Could be an issue if you haven’t saved up a lot of techs.

Right now I’m also stuck in the EMA Bonus Quest taking up an extra slot as it requires productions. I’m sure i’ll have to run through the Maiden Quest as well.

Building costs from previous eras are back to old storyline prices, which is not a bad thing, helps with gather supply & coin quests when the Academy and Library are once again expensive.

The techs I left open are also back to old storyline prices. At least they’re open! Though cheaper and faster to bolt your way to Colonial, the new storyline was painfully repetitive and dull, the old storyline, although silly, is entertaining and enjoyable.
Yes. They won't fix it. I'm at Poison in the Well myself. Came here to see if there were any hints. Luckily I have one Culture Tech stored that I was saving for the Indy bonus line. Even if I can get back over the PME/CE tech blockers again, I'm not sure if I'll have enough saved for all the turturrets in Indy. We'll just have to see.

Last edited:

xivarmy

Yes. They won't fix it. I'm at Poison in the Well myself. Came here to see if there were any hints. Luckily I have one Culture Tech stored that I was saving for the Indy bonus line. Even if I can get back over the PME/CE tech blockers again, I'm not sure if I'll have enough saved for all the turturrets in Indy. We'll just have to see.
You won't have to redo later ages. What happened is they cancelled the test for the sped-up pre-colonial quests. If you had the sped up version, you now have the old quests to get through that you didn't do the first time. But once you get to quests you've already done, done is done - so indy and later should be the same as it was. You just have to get back there.

After poison in the well (HMA), i think you might need 1 extra tech from colonial story as part of the revolt line.

You might opt to wait a week or two and see if it gets fixed more broadly - because while they may not have sympathy for you individually, it is unpleasant behavior for everyone that was part of the test group.

Ben Trovato

You won't have to redo later ages. What happened is they cancelled the test for the sped-up pre-colonial quests. If you had the sped up version, you now have the old quests to get through that you didn't do the first time. But once you get to quests you've already done, done is done - so indy and later should be the same as it was. You just have to get back there.

After poison in the well (HMA), i think you might need 1 extra tech from colonial story as part of the revolt line.

You might opt to wait a week or two and see if it gets fixed more broadly - because while they may not have sympathy for you individually, it is unpleasant behavior for everyone that was part of the test group.

I think I'm feeling annoyed because it just happened. I'll calm down soon enough. I'll process the fact that I have the hovers, and that's better than most people. There'll be extra diamonds to pick up in the extra quests. And at the end of the day it's just a game.

JamieJ

I think I'm feeling annoyed because it just happened. I'll calm down soon enough. I'll process the fact that I have the hovers, and that's better than most people. There'll be extra diamonds to pick up in the extra quests. And at the end of the day it's just a game.
Here was their reply:

"We unfortunately cannot make any alterations to the quests or research, but I will pass along the feedback."

it's not a big deal, i just wish they'd be a little more contrite, but that's not something they're good at.

Ben Trovato

“Assault and Assassination” in the EMA Bonus Quest and “Mandrubar's and Fernikus' support“ in Colonial require Researching any Technology.
I stumped up for "Poison in the Well" and for "Assault and Assassination". I can confirm the research part of “Mandrubar's and Fernikus' support“ autocompletes if all colonial techs have already been researched. So researching a saved Colonial tech on Assault and Assassination minimised my cost in researches (there are only two savers possible in Colonial and I had already taken one).

I got stuck for a bit navigating a lot of HMA/Colonial recruitment requirements on both story and bonus questlines and ended up doing another Traz level. Jamie, you might have similar recruitment issues once you move to Indy, but with luck you might have some Colonial GE to fall back on. I'd suggest not immediately upgrading unit-producing buildings if it's not too late.

However the good news (for me and anyone else in my position) is I'm back in the Arctic Future, having jumped from the end of Colonial to the exact quest I should have been on in the first place. It's cost two researches and lots of shinnanegins, but at the end of the day, all is well.

Last edited:
Hello all, first timer. I am in InA progressing through the c-map currently approaching the PME tech blocker story line and the same on the PME c-map. I have no techs left in InA but am planning on camping in PE. I have all PE techs available. My question is how many more techs is the maximum amount that I will still need to get the hovers? Would it be ok to age up to PE and use some techs (military) to settle in since it will still take some time to reach FE on the c-map? Sorry if this has been answered.

Ben Trovato

Hello all, first timer. I am in InA progressing through the c-map currently approaching the PME tech blocker story line and the same on the PME c-map. I have no techs left in InA but am planning on camping in PE. I have all PE techs available. My question is how many more techs is the maximum amount that I will still need to get the hovers? Would it be ok to age up to PE and use some techs (military) to settle in since it will still take some time to reach FE on the c-map? Sorry if this has been answered.
PME tech blocker? I hope you aren't going to reach it! You need to jump away shortly before then.

You need 3 minimum in Postmodern (assuming you avoid the final tech blocker). You may have already done these.
You want 1 in Tomorrow, but you can bypass it if your attack bonuses are big enough.
You need 2 in Future to reach the hovers. (If you go wrong in the middle of the map, you might need a third. Follow the storyline after the first province, and that won't happen.)

Tell us where you are in the PME story and map. What story quest are you up to? Have you taken both the East and West legs? Potentially you can get away with only two techs, but the devil is in the detail. You really should be fine, and could go a lot further than the Hovers if you want.

Just let me add that in my current city, I haven't built a standard military building other than to fulfil a quest since Iron Age. Because I swap to higher-age units when the going gets tough for same-age, I don't kill anything like the same number of units as someone who has no higher age, and most of the ones I do kill are rogues. If you wait and age up just as soon as the next GBG has started, you will be fighting against Indy for 11 days, while getting PE units as a reward. Try it. You can always research military techs if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

Ladies and gentlemen, ME troops in IA are possible.

1710186526031.png

[EDIT] The only question is whether we can replicate the skip. I'm not sure if we will be able to do so.

Basically, if you lose your story quests in a lower age, IMMEDIATELY don't do any quests, push the map, and you can get troops. Started with the quest "Heart of the Empire," after scouting Rio Roxo.