• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Higher Age Units Guide v2.20

mineseA

So, um, I may have accidentally aborted the "Your choice: Truth or Dare" PME quest, and I'm tech blocked. Can I do anything to reverse it or something?

Ben Trovato

After a gap of more than a year, I popped back to FoE to play a bit over the holiday season. What a change in getting a new city off the ground! It's considerably faster with a lot more full-set BPs available in quests for half a dozen GBs (although not Zeus, surprisingly). You can get a few EMA advanced units in Iron Age far more easily than you used to be able to. I didn't stay in EMA long enough to spot any HMA units. There were HMA units in the new bonus story line covering the old IA/EMA bonus quest line provinces, I think, but I'm not sure if that procced in EMA or HMA. I didn't get them until HMA, so not advanced for me.

I picked up four of each of the standard LMA units in HMA (20 units in total) culminating with the last story line quest giving four cannon. That's where I am now after three and a half weeks, with two recurring quest lines and a story quest to enter LMA. With attack bonuses around 130/125, I'm not sure if I should stabilise for a few days. If I knew there were grenadiers waiting for me like there used to be, I'd be straight in. Ah heck, what's the worst that can happen?

Last edited:

Ben Trovato

Not too far into the LMA story line I received the quest Workshop Wonders to build 3 production buildings of my era: 2 rangers and 2 musketeers. Manufacturing Mastery, with twenty productions of my era, gave me 2 dragoons. There are other quests (such as recruit 4 units of your era) for which there is no previous era alternatives, so expect slower going than before, even if you've already completed the map. Frontier Explorer gave 2 grenadiers and 2 field guns (grenadiers, hoorah!) for scouting Mt Killmore (so long ago). Then brakes on — advance to Colonial Age. No bonus questline available to LMA.

To sum up, in LMA I got 10 colonial units from the story line, two of each.

Ben Trovato

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but while on the FE map, if you lose the story line for whatever reason and have completed the Botuku province, it will give the option to scout Kalabuye or Bisorba. Make sure you scout Kalabuye before you scout Bisorba, unless directed otherwise. In one of my worlds (in Indy), after losing the story quest (and after aborting several recurring quests trying to get it back), I scouted Bisorba first. I immediately got the story quest back, however it directed me to (eventually) completely take Bisorba and scout the province below it, thereby completely ignoring the Kalabuye province. Once I realized what it was doing, I completely negotiated Kalabuye, but it didn't matter. I lost out on the 3 Hover Tanks. FWIW, I completely negotiated Agadar as well. I did get the 1 Hover Tank and the rest of the FE troops.

The two conditions for the hover tank quest to be available are, you can't have fought in Agadar or Kalabuye, and you can't have completed both Agadar and Kalabuye. If you take the whole of Agadar and Kalabuye, there's nobody left to give you the Hover Tank quest! Ignoring Kalabuye until after you have the tanks is fine.

Anna-

Those changes are still not guaranteed to be implemented. They could still easily change all of that. Once it is officially part of the game for all players, we'll need to find exactly how all the quests function and whether it's possible to advance the story at all past your age - after all, we could get new higher age troops, say HMA in EMA.

It just depends on how long it takes to figure all that info out :)
Is there really still no information?

Ben Trovato

Is there really still no information?
I'm reporting my experience, which is different from numbers reported a couple of months ago, so it looks like they are still tweaking. I'm just hoping they haven't messed up the Indy map/questline yet. I'd be loathe to spend the goods negotiating Okahe if it didn't matter, not to mention to impossibility of getting the hovers if they have!

I will add that the journey from IA to LMA is no harder than previously and the ability to fight with higher-age units in LMA is actually better than it was (perhaps normed to the harder GBG). However, the storylines themselves are terrible (story, what story?), the block on moving forward at the end of each Age's questline is heavy handed and frustrating, and the postponment of the bonus questlines will take getting used to. The upside to what was the IA/EMA bonus questline only being accessible later is that the second recurring quest slot arrives in HMA rather than LMA.

Last edited:
Thanks for your amazing guide. After a year of getting Higher age unit, I was able to fight through all continent map including SAT while staying in PE. It was full of challenges and rewards/expansions. I would recommend everyone who has HAU to give a try, especially those who has the full sets: 4 Hover tanks, 4 Turturrets, 6 Eels and 8 Sub-cruisers.

Last SAT map
last-sat-map.jpeg

Last fight in SAT sectors
last-fight-in-sat.png

Last edited:

Ben Trovato

Advancing to Colonial (with most of the Colonial map already taken) the Colonial Bonus line started up. What I didn't expect is that it replaced the Storyline, the two recurring questlines remained. As soon as one of the recurring quests was taken, the storyline returned. Previously bonus questlines haven't appear until the recurring quest is taken. I mention this as it's the sort of anomaly that is occasionally exploitable.

KingJMobile

Thanks for your amazing guide. After a year of getting Higher age unit, I was able to fight through all continent map including SAT while staying in PE. It was full of challenges and rewards/expansions. I would recommend everyone who has HAU to give a try, especially those who has the full sets: 4 Hover tanks, 4 Turturrets, 6 Eels and 8 Sub-cruisers.

Last SAT map
View attachment 21131

Last fight in SAT sectors
View attachment 21132
Absolute beast! I gave up in the middle of Venus before aging up out of boredom. What were your boosts and strategy?

Absolute beast! I gave up in the middle of Venus before aging up out of boredom. What were your boosts and strategy?
Appreciate the compliment. I'm currently having 2500/1500 attack boosts. It was much lower half year ago when fighting SAV maps, around 1200/600.

A few things I learned:
Using both Virgo and Kraken to help out the first wave.
Using damaged Rogues is one of the key because it protects HAU from being attacked first.
Using combination of Turtles, Eels, Subs and damaged Rogues depending on enemy formation. Hovers were rarely used in space ages due to low attack.
For easier fights, I attempt to protect HAU and sacrifice Rogues.
For harder fights, like the last sector of each map, I would attempt to protect the damaged Rogues because I still need them in the second fight.
The easiest enemy wave is all light and heavy units and I can use Turtles to kill them all before they arrive. For this formation, there is no need for activate Virgo or Kraken.
Most other fights I could comfortably use 4-6 Eels + damaged Rogues. Sub-cruisers + damaged Rogues can counter fast unit because of retaliation damage.
There are exceptions like Ghost blaster, it's better to use Turtles and stay out of its range rather than using Eels.
The last sector of each SAT map is by far the hardest. I almost gave up on the first SAT map. Somehow Hovers came to rescue against some of the fast units.

Overall it's a lot of fun to fight all these different units. Since getting HAU itself needs to advance in continent map. I feel this is a continuation of that HAU journey and beyond.

Last edited:

Ben Trovato

The new Colonial story questline is more of the same as the previous Ages. With no actual story, it just boils down to build so many of this of your age, recruit so many troops of your age, gather so much supplies or coins, etc etc. Coming from the main storyline a supply quest gives 4 Jaeger infantry and 4 Riflemen. A little while later a story quest to gather coins gives 4 Lancers. Another one also to gather coins gives 4 Howitzers. No breech loaders are available though, and the questline finishes with the hard-stop quest: "Advance to Industrial". Written with zero imagination and several duplicates, the whole line is a bit of a chore. On the upside, the story quests give some nice prizes as well as the Higher Age troops, including FPs and some diamonds.

The Colonial bonus map/questline feel like it's for the wrong Age. You fight LMA and HMA troops or negotiate with LMA and lower goods. It gives LMA blueprints for CdM and a handful of Colonial troops, two of each kind: exactly the number I'd expect if the bonus questline had triggered in LMA rather than Colonial, making up for the smaller number of higher age units in LMA than you get from the HMA and Colonial story quests. No Industrial troops from the bonus line.

So the grand total of Industrial troops from the Colonial is 16, four each of everthing except Breech Loaders. This makes the Colonial Age fighting with higher-age units significantly weaker than with the old-style Colonial questing into the Industrial and PE maps, that gave (gives) many more Industrial troops, as well as PE tanks or conscripts.

Edited to add: Fortunately the Indy story questline seems untouched.

Last edited:

Ben Trovato

Is it still possible to get a Police Station from an event? Two or three years ago I remember finding them on the Summer event wheel, but I don't know if there are any events which still give them. I also don't think they are available in GE anymore. Is it still viable to wait rather than research Law and Order?

Ben Trovato

Is it still possible to get a Police Station from an event? Two or three years ago I remember finding them on the Summer event wheel, but I don't know if there are any events which still give them. I also don't think they are available in GE anymore. Is it still viable to wait rather than research Law and Order?

Who am I kidding? I managed to last two days without an answer to this question before researching Law and Order. There is no way I have the patience or temperament to wait to get three Police Stations by other means!

KingJMobile

Who am I kidding? I managed to last two days without an answer to this question before researching Law and Order. There is no way I have the patience or temperament to wait to get three Police Stations by other means!
I'm also 100% sure Police Stations aren't worth the wait anymore. Couldn't even get one from Halloween being semi-active in the event and didn't see it at all during Winter.

xivarmy

If you planned everything before, there's no reason to need to wait to win police stations - the only reason you might "need to" is if you didn't save enough techs in the pre-industrial ages. The option to win some is primarily for that colonial/industrial player who goes "I just found out about this. Is it too late now to do it?"